Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you gained or lost weight during lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Falling off me. I’m not in the pub, not going for a carvery a few days a week, and getting into cooking veggie food at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

lawred2 wrote: »
    Murica?

Nah, Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 13,568 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Lost weight, and I really can't afford to.
    I've No appetite with warm weather and no exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I've gained a bit but I'd say its mostly muscle as I'm lifting weights 6 days a week. I can train with a lot more intensity now too because I'm not tired from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Moonbeams8

I've managed to lose a bit of weight and have slightly toned up too - I'm exercising during the time I would spend commuting. Before the pandemic I'd try and squeeze in the gym throughout the week whereas now exercise helps me break up the day so I'm doing far more of it!

Working from home has made me realise how much of my working day I spend in front of a screen - so unhealthy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

I haven't weighed myself, but I definitely haven't gained any. I've lost over four stone over the last two years, due to a thyroid thing. Not sure I could afford to lose much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,336 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Lost weight. Was planning on doing so anyway, but the lockdown has actually helped. I only have to resist the urge to buy/eat crap food when I go shopping. After that, I'm stuck in the house unable to buy crappy food and have already planned meals for the next week and don't really have any extra food to spare, so I almost have no option but to stick to the diet. Also don't have any change since I've been paying for things by card for the last few weeks so can't buy takeaways either (don't have a Just Eat account or anything).

By the end of the month I might start to crack, but it's working well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

0025fb2c0ff443acd742add1e5808bf8_w200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Very jealous of all of these folks that have cracked the Covid weight loss code. I feel like I'd actually have to contract Covid to go the same way.

Definitely need to dial back on the Deliveroos and eat my allocated amount of food each day. I find I'm spending so little and on a decent wage so my wage feels like so much more now, and I end up splurging on food.

What types of home workouts are people finding good and useful?

bitofabind wrote: »
    Very jealous of all of these folks that have cracked the Covid weight loss code. I feel like I'd actually have to contract Covid to go the same way.

Definitely need to dial back on the Deliveroos and eat my allocated amount of food each day. I find I'm spending so little and on a decent wage so my wage feels like so much more now, and I end up splurging on food.

If I may be so forward as to ask, are you an emotional eater? Funny relationship with food?
    I am and have. It makes this whole damn thing harder. Usual routine is gone out the window, motivation to wear that nice dress is gone and all is in flux and uncertain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Getting in plenty of exercise every morning/afternoon but my diet is atrocious. Can't stop eating crappy food in the evenings. So I'm fitter but fatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

I've put up nearly a stone weight since this lockdown started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Haven’t gained I know that much. Honestly, don’t know if it’s fat or whatever muscles have just become that unresponsive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Losing. I have a habit of eating only once or twice a day when I'm at home (I don't like messing up the kitchen!), and I've been home all day for over a month now. I also don't snack to fill the time; I play an instrument or watch internet videos. And I have solo dance parties in my apartment and try to take a daily walk for 30-45 minutes.

Anyway, I confirmed the weight loss when I went to put on a new pair of jeans this weekend that I last wore in January, which had been a bit of a squeeze then. They fit perfectly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Down 3lbs, not doing too much differently but I guess I’m not eating “on the go”, or “slump snacking”, as much.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

If I may be so forward as to ask, are you an emotional eater? Funny relationship with food?
    I am and have. It makes this whole damn thing harder. Usual routine is gone out the window, motivation to wear that nice dress is gone and all is in flux and uncertain.

Oh massively so. I've struggling with major eating issues in the past, everything on the spectrum from emotional eating to eating disorder territory. These days I've been a lot more "normal" but this recent disruption has definitely triggered more of the emotional eating. Combined with my WFH space also being my kitchen, and getting distracted by the fridge too much.

It does make me think, jesus it must be actual hell to be going through a full-blown eating disorder right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Morning : 40 mins on exercise bike. Usually followed by some weights and or floor exercises to bring it to an hour.

Afternoon : A 40 minute walk, one full round of the park across the road. Including there and back.

Evening : 20 - 30 mins on the bike. Maybe will walk again instead as weather warms up and park opens later.

Sometimes if I go downstairs for a drink in the evening and if there hasn’t been much on tv the urge is there to bounce back on the bike but I’d rather do ‘enough’ and leave it at that, body has been sending hints that I’m not gonna ignore.

It’s a great time killer, great way to maintain and improve your health

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Lost 7 Kg since March 18th. Down from 109 to 102 Kg.

My business folded, was a sole trader and have no debts, so currently looking for a new job. In the meantime I aim to walk and average of 17 Km everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Strumms wrote: »
    Morning : 40 mins on exercise bike. Usually followed by some weights and or floor exercises to bring it to an hour.

Afternoon : A 40 minute walk, one full round of the park across the road. Including there and back.

Evening : 20 - 30 mins on the bike. Maybe will walk again instead as weather warms up and park opens later.

Sometimes if I go downstairs for a drink in the evening and if there hasn’t been much on tv the urge is there to bounce back on the bike but I’d rather do ‘enough’ and leave it at that, body has been sending hints that I’m not gonna ignore.

It’s a great time killer, great way to maintain and improve your health
    Holy fook.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I lost 0.005lb so it’s all good.

• Advertisement

Oh massively so. I've struggling with major eating issues in the past, everything on the spectrum from emotional eating to eating disorder territory. These days I've been a lot more "normal" but this recent disruption has definitely triggered more of the emotional eating. Combined with my WFH space also being my kitchen, and getting distracted by the fridge too much.

It does make me think, jesus it must be actual hell to be going through a full-blown eating disorder right now.

Its awful :( I rarely talk about my body image issues and relationship with food. I totally get how hard it is for you. Something which has really been highlighted for me is that my motivation to stay slim is based on external factors rather than for my own self.

Also my attitude towards what I eat is completely skewed. Rationally I know what's healthy and what isn't but my focus tends to be more on weight loss and maintenance rather than eating well. A lot of days eating rubbish and then days of eating hardly anything at all. Sigh.

This crisis may give you some new insights in to your relationship with food and then you can try and get to the bottom of it, but I've a feeling you are plenty self aware as it is. So its that age old conundrum of knowing versus feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭tony1980

My weight is still about 72kg by sticking with Intermittent Fasting but I’m definitely eating a little unhealthier at times so my hard work to tone up is kinda gone. Need to get a regular routine of exercise going again, really miss the gym!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

Have piled it on. Lucky enough to still have a job, working from home, house full of teenagers, constant feeding, cooking, grazing ... and then the evening slump with a glass of wine. Disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I've been trying different ones to keep it fresh. This one is the easier one as it's a minute on and 30s rest for each exercise
    https://youtu.be/yplP5cLuyf4

This one is harder as it's 20s on and 10s off. The exercises are more dynamic too.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tbbZBtdd20U

And this one is the hardest one of the three I've tried so far.

It's 2or 3 minutes on (30s per exercise but no gap) and then 45 second rest.
    https://youtu.be/ml6cT4AZdqI

They're all good though. Well worth giving them a go or finding ones that are harder or easier to suit your fitness and still challenge you.

Losing. Not going to the shop regularly and not eating lunch out each day there is less chance of unhealthy snacks or takeaways on the way home.

Combine that with detailed shopping lists and meal plans means that the amount of junk consumed is going down.

The weekend gone was an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

I've lost weight, which isn't a good thing, I was borderline underweight to begin with. Since I'm not doing much exercise outside the house, and not running around Dublin getting things done, I'm not maintaining what muscle mass I had to begin with and I find myself forgetting to eat. My brother and I are also getting more and more constipated, so not all of the number on the scales is actually "me", and I had to share the last block of creamed coconut with him to try and get things "moving" again.

I'll check back here in a week and tell yis if I've cooked and eaten the fat little eejit yet. It looks like the only solution.

I've lost 8kg over the last month. Stressful time in the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

Had been trying to drop a few kg since Christmas, hit my target weight just as lockdown started. Finding it not too hard to maintain so far - no eating out, less time in the pub, have plenty of time and incentive to meal plan due to limiting number of shopping trips, and time to exercise regularly.

We'll see though, I have a bad habit of eating when I'm bored!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Losing a bit, calling it the Covid Diet. If it's not in the house, I can't eat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭HBC08

Gained 10lbs in the last 4 weeks.
    167 up to 177.
    I put this down to a few things.Not doing as much throughout the day as I would be under normal circumstances.Only exercise is a daily 4k walk and weights 3 times a week.
    Am recovering from a back issue so cant run or bike,was swimming but can't go to pool now.
    Drinking more (2 nights a week)

Will be cutting down on booze and trying intermittent fasting.If im good weight generally falls off me so I know what needs to be dine,just need to do it now.

Advertisement