Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you gained or lost weight during lockdown?

Options
  • 14-04-2020 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

I've been eating like a fat kid in a sweet shop lately. All this sitting around and stressing out and massive disruption to the usual day-to-day has got me sticking my head in the fridge far too often, and without the gym or the usual consistent exercise routine, I guess it's not really surprising that I'm up a few pounds since the beginning of March.

No big deal, shur a lot worse has happened to a lot better people as the wise man says. I'm curious about the general consensus on this though. Are we getting fatter or skinnier as a nation through all this?

Maybe let's start with AH. Are yiz up or down on the scales lads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

bitofabind wrote: »
    I've been eating like a fat kid in a sweet shop lately. All this sitting around and stressing out and massive disruption to the usual day-to-day has got me sticking my head in the fridge far too often, and without the gym or the usual consistent exercise routine, I guess it's not really surprising that I'm up a few pounds since the beginning of March.

No big deal, shur a lot worse has happened to a lot better people as the wise man says. I'm curious about the general consensus on this though. Are we getting fatter or skinnier as a nation through all this?

Maybe let's start with AH. Are yiz up or down on the scales lads?

Losing it like a boss.

Less work means more regular exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭I see sheep

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Majority have gained no doubt unless your sticking to a strict fitness programme or just dont put on weight (or anorexic)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I ran down the stairs this morning and my belly is still wobbling from it.
    So yeah - definitely put on a pound or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Actually losing some. Wasting away due to the lack of burgers, pizzas and döners for lunch. Plus I now go to gym around midday instead of my usual near midnight sessions, so I have more energy and getting more out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I'm like a Viking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

jester77 wrote: »
    Actually losing some. Wasting away due to the lack of burgers, pizzas and döners for lunch. Plus I now go to gym around midday instead of my usual near midnight sessions, so I have more energy and getting more out of it.

Why is your gym open??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,240 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Are gyms open?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Put on for sure. It's just too easy to stock-up when at the supermarket as you don't want to make too many trips. Add that to many more hours spent sitting around the house and it's just too easy to have a bit of chocolate here and there. Plus ice-cream, that's my real Achilles heel. I shall curse the day my Polish neighbour introduced me to Haagen Dazs and told me it frequently went on special. Prior to that I never really paid it any attention as any time I looked at it, it was usually priced around €7. When I started noticing €4 pricing, that's when the slippery slope started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

what gym are you in thats open?

i was under the impression all gyms are closed,mine is anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Useta get fed fully at work, missing that perk now and replacing with the trusty efforts of the deliveroo / uber eats army...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

bitofabind wrote: »
    Why is your gym open??

Because it's in my basement, so it's always open.

Lost a bit

Just dont buy in sweets etc,and i live so far from shops etc,not viable to get them easily

Has really helped me re-focus on proper eating habits etc,and being out and about on farm has driven even basic exercise levels up.......now if i could curb indulging in jamesons,id be onto great things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Lost a couple of kg. Swapped commute time for exercise time and eating more from the garden than from the vending machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm basically staying the exact same. I'm getting out of the house each day and doing about 3 runs a week, so exercise has stayed about the same. And I'm buying more supermarket trash but that's just a replacement for work junk. And it's not that much anyway.

So basically my calorie intake / usage is about the same, so my weight is remaining at around 72kg.

It requires discipline to make sure to exercise a couple of times per week as opposed to just going for a walk. And discipline to not buy heaps of junk food in the supermarket. Personally, I wouldn't be able to cut out junk food altogether. If I tried I'd end up cracking and absolutely gorging on everything I could find. So instead I've had a little 18g bag of lidl crisps after lunch and I'll have maybe one if the Easter egg bars later.

I've been really lucky not to have weight issues in my life and I still find it difficult to stay healthy. But I like exercise, enjoy cooking and healthy food (as well as the bad stuff) and don't put on weight easily. I've the height of respect and sympathy for people who really have to battle their weight. And I'd say this is a difficult time for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd say I'm about the same. Eating more biscuits, but I haven't had a drink in over a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

I can't seem to add a poll to this.

Calling on our Mods overlords - can you do me the honours please?

Looks like a mixed bag erring on the fat bastid side of things. (I don't mean that really ye're all a great bunch of lads)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bodjhrjekekr

Have been losing weight

Have been wanting to lose a stone with a while and this seems like a great time to do it for me - I'm working from home, so can plan meals much easier.
    I'd normally go out every weekend but haven't drank since the pubs closed, much easier for me to stay disciplined when there is no FOMO.
    Also I only go to the supermarket once a week as it's such an ordeal - so no trips to the corner shop for chocolate etc like before. I keep to a list of the essentials for the supermarket trip.

Hoping I can keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 MaureensFry

Losing weight, just cooking one good meal around 3PM and that's me for the day.

Don't know if it's the isolation on my own or what but don't have much of a appetite.

Less fat, more muscle. A few pounds put on, but was fairly lean to begin with. Lack of pub and increased exercise/work outdoors have helped since lockdown entered the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Less fat, more muscle. A few pounds put on, but was fairly lean to begin with. Lack of pub and increased exercise/work outdoors have helped since lockdown entered the picture.

Ah boy the horse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Lost - decided to use it as a dietary aid - instead of buying troughs of bad food am going without apart from baking one cake a week and muching through it every day - when you see what goes into a cake you are less likely to indulge in a box. Am doing the schools Joe Wicks workout at 9am in the morning and marching the dogs around for 2 outdoor hours every day. Trousers belt up two notches so far and definately seeing other improvements. The big thing is staying off the demon drink which is the hard part and the biggest calorie saver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Gaining weight due to having more energy to lift heavier weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Gained a little but that's understandable. I'm still exercising 3 times a week but the diet is harder. Been indoors ultimately means been nearer to nice food and going food shopping is a pain so need to buy a few nice things to make food shopping ok, I'm still buying healthy food but processed food is so much handier. Essentially nice tasting food makes me happy so I think you need to allow yourself a little bit more unhealthy food.. just as long as you don't go too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

So far I've stayed about the same, but I'm hoping to lose a few pounds. I'm definitely doing far more exercise than I had been. I'm doing a bit of boredom eating I guess, but I'm trying to stick mostly to healthy food.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

Lost a bit at the start, then gained a bit back so much the same. Im fitter though. Walking every day at least 3 miles.

I'd really like to get back into normal BMI zone to give me best chance of fighting this fecking thing when I get it though. Need to lose a stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Should have put on loads as I eat a couple of extra Twix type bars (the Lidl copies) everyday but no nothing ever changes. Training doesn't loose any or put on muscle either so being able to eat anything and not put weight on is not all roses. As for the Gin its the tonic that has all the calories :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Your gym is open?

Gained :( Comfort eating comfort drinking comfort sitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Because it's in my basement, so it's always open.

Murica?

Advertisement