Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

phormium wrote: »
    Saw another chart that I can't find now again that showed a +10 for 5/10 or was that from a previous day?

That was yesterday's figure (up to Friday).

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

This is a wreckless way to be treating people who should be made aware of just bad the problem is in their particular county.

All along we were given specific numbers, then when we know they are on the increase we are suddenly kept in the dark, why?

There could be 197 new cases or 1 new case (or anywhere in between those two numbers) in Kerry or any of the 20 counties.

All the information is available if you bothered to look for it

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/b6db7-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-monday-5-october/#cases-by-county

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Salvadoor wrote: »

I did bother to look for it and it's not there.

If you took the bother to read what you linked or even read the post above your own you'd see that the information you are quoting is not up to date.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

I did bother to look for it and it's not there.

If you took the bother to read what you linked or even read the post above your own you'd see that the information you are quoting is not up to date.

Cases by county, it's right here. Kerry +10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Ok Salvadoor, cool, thanks very much.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Thats the table from the day before. There is no table for yesterday.

If you read it you will find that the county by county breakdown does not tally with the stats ion the first page.

There is no breakdown for yesterday, thats what we are saying is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Well the pubs didnt last long, cant see too many of them bothering with the outdoor service, like who would want to be sitting outside in our climate in October/November

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I saw a business page share the restriction levels, but I think they are old ones as it said level 3 for cafes/Restaurants had additional indoor restrictions, but with this level they have said no indoor dining and only 15 outdoors or take-away. Are we basically on the 3.5 level?

9 cases up to Sunday, taking the overall total to 445.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I saw a business page share the restriction levels, but I think they are old ones as it said level 3 for cafes/Restaurants had additional indoor restrictions, but with this level they have said no indoor dining and only 15 outdoors or take-away. Are we basically on the 3.5 level?

Would seem so:

0_screen-shot-2020-10-05-at-071721.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

What does everyone think of the level '3' restrictions? Do you think it was the right decision?

I'm not sure what to think of it! Fed up at this stage!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Are most hotels around the county closing as a result of level 3? Have checked a few of their websites/social medias and a lot have no information up yet. Did see one that I've finished up working at recently announce they were closed until the end of October. I'm lucky that I have now have a full time, permanent position, but obviously feel for my former work colleagues.

Are most hotels around the county closing as a result of level 3? Have checked a few of their websites/social medias and a lot have no information up yet. Did see one that one I've finished up working at recently announce they were closed until the end of October. I'm lucky that I have now have a full time, permanent position, but obviously feel for my former work colleagues.

In Tralee I think most of the hotels are staying open from what I've seen online. They are only open to residents and obviously hoping for people to 'staycation' in Kerry for the next few weeks. I did see that Cahernane House Hotel in Killarney is closing until restrictions lifted. I was hoping to stay there for my birthday next month, as I did last year. I will have to hold off now until I know if they are able to reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

personally would have backed dr honahan and gone for the level 5 , short term pain for long term gain .

at least we could cope with icu / hospital capacity , and keep the schools open .
    which is a big task delivered .

think for a moment , just if YOU or your child needs a icu bed , but it's not available , then your outlook will be dire , it can come to any door ,

level 3 would seem insignificant if your going 6 ft under ,

you cannt put a price on life , no body on here is safe , so it in our hands to keep as safe as we can ,

but I have to say I have been shocked yesterday and today , seeing people in supply stores , not masking up .
    it all helps .

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭barryribs

I personally think the reasoning behind a flat increase in levels is flawed. Level 3 has had very limited success in Dublin and Donegal so increasing all counties to their level is just lip service to nphet. The reality is that we are probably better off in the long term either going to level 1 or level 5 but and giving the gardai the power to enforce the restrictions. Instead we are stuck in limbo again for another 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,241 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Well the pubs didnt last long, cant see too many of them bothering with the outdoor service, like who would want to be sitting outside in our climate in October/November

I'd say a few won't reopen again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

barryribs wrote: »
    I personally think the reasoning behind a flat increase in levels is flawed. Level 3 has had very limited success in Dublin and Donegal so increasing all counties to their level is just lip service to nphet. The reality is that we are probably better off in the long term either going to level 1 or level 5 but and giving the gardai the power to enforce the restrictions. Instead we are stuck in limbo again for another 3 weeks.

I think a big part of that issue was that there was zero enforcement. I met multiple people down from Dublin over the last few weeks, and I know a few who went up to Dublin for one reason or another, and none of them saw any checkpoints. The fact that they are even out in force on the roads will do a lot to keeping people at home.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'd say a few won't reopen again

I know in Killarney, all but 8 pubs in town opened as 'restaurants'. I'd agree with you though that a fair few can't handle closing down again. Even with the outside only dining, pub food prices, a table of four might spend what? 200 quid over a couple of hours? I doubt you can justify hiring a chef, waiters, other staff, paying rates, costs etc for the bones of 300 euro an hour turnover. A few smaller family owned bars might manage the outside only thing.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

What were the Kerry daily figures like at the peak of the pandemic, or were they even released at the time? Kerry did so well overall that the current figures feel like a lot, but perhaps they're not as bad as they were months ago.

Any word on where they're located? People on here were saying perhaps North Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

611 cases across the country - level 5 feels inevitable this stage. Would prefer to try and get a handle on it before Christmas!

• Advertisement

I just read on the Kerry's eye twitter that Kerry now has the seventh-highest incidence of coronavirus in the country.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

kerry cow wrote: »
    personally would have backed dr honahan and gone for the level 5 , short term pain for long term gain .

at least we could cope with icu / hospital capacity , and keep the schools open .
    which is a big task delivered .

think for a moment , just if YOU or your child needs a icu bed , but it's not available , then your outlook will be dire , it can come to any door ,

level 3 would seem insignificant if your going 6 ft under ,

you cannt put a price on life , no body on here is safe , so it in our hands to keep as safe as we can ,

but I have to say I have been shocked yesterday and today , seeing people in supply stores , not masking up .
    it all helps .

You can put a price on life.

There are thousands of people in this country living with conditions that could be improved by drugs that are available to buy.

The problem is that some of these drugs costs hundreds of thousands of euro a year for a single patient. An arm of the HSE has to decide the cost-benefit of purchasing such medication.

We now have a situation that we are trying to save people most vulnerable to Covid 19, the elderly (average age of people who have died from Covid is 84) and that is costing the state billions.

For the country to escape financial ruin for generations to come somebody in charge with a bit of neck is going to have to do a cost benefit analysis of this soon and make a hard call unfortunately.

But we all know that won't happen as it would probably cost votes at the next election.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

611 cases across the country - level 5 feels inevitable this stage. Would prefer to try and get a handle on it before Christmas!
    It would make sense to go to level 5 towards the end of the month and have an extended mid-term break in tandem with it.

It's seems clear now that level 3 might stabilise things, as is happening in Dublin, but is unlikely to lead to any significant drop, so if we stay at level 3 it could last for months on end. That would be the worst of all worlds IMO.

A few weeks of strict lockdown will hopefully suppress the virus enough to buy us a few months of semi-normalness to see us through to next spring.

I think it's still too early in the pandemic, and totally the wrong time of the year, to countenance relaxing restrictions and dealing with the consequences but we'll have to eventually if there's no sign of a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Quackster wrote: »
    It would make sense to go to level 5 towards the end of the month and have an extended mid-term break in tandem with it.

It's seems clear now that level 3 might stabilise things, as is happening in Dublin, but is unlikely to lead to any significant drop, so if we stay at level 3 it could last for months on end. That would be the worst of all worlds IMO.

A few weeks of strict lockdown will hopefully suppress the virus enough to buy us a few months of semi-normalness to see us through to next spring.

I think it's still too early in the pandemic, and totally the wrong time of the year, to countenance relaxing restrictions and dealing with the consequences but we'll have to eventually if there's no sign of a vaccine.

I genuinely think strict lockdown is the only way to go. There's already overcrowding in the hospitals with people on trollies. Level 3 is bringing the numbers down in Dublin only slightly. The idea you mention of stabilising in level 3 and this being our lives for another 6-9 months is horrific to be honest. These next few months will be tough.

Will see significant fluctuation until the effect of Level 3 becomes clear - 3 is the lowest figure since September 30th:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1314248600667459584

Kenmare have had a lot of cases recently! Scary to see Tralee doing so badly now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

The initial infection near me (Kenmare area) which let to me keeping my young lad at home, has directly resulted in another 4 positive tests locally, so far. Plenty of rumours of others too... Very concerning.

36 in Kerry today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,241 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

36 in Kerry today

Kerry and Cork rising sharply :(

Advertisement