Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Shops being so mean spirited in the midst of the pandemic. Grocery sales were up 17 percent because of people panic buying. It's basically Christmas for food shops, yet they still increased their prices. I shop in Lidl, and have noticed so many random, overnight increases. They probably think people won't notice but when you're used to getting the same products you do! I love their square wheaten, and just like that it went from 49 to 67c. Ok still cheap, but that's almost a fifty percent increase...Same with their sparkling water which OH buys, from 39 to 58c or something.

Also TA the silly bint in the pharmacy today who struck up a conversation with me as I waited for a prescription. Actually walked over to me and took off her mask to show me the marks it was leaving on her face. Would you get away from me with your fúckery germ spreading eugh. I'd say she's the kind that nothing much would survive in to be honest but she could easily be transmitting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I think I might have moaned about this before but it just happened and I need to vent.

I am NOT a fan of car noises in housing estates. It's irrational, I know. Cars need to make noise to go, I get it.

But I'm on about those people who start their car and DO! NOT! F'CKING! MOVE! for minutes!! If you weren't ready to go, why did you start the car?! I also hate the sound of a car arriving into my street, stopping, and staying on.

It's even more infuriating when I'm in bed.

I also hate the sound of people getting out of their car, closing the door, then another door closing, then another door closing....... then another door closing - basically they keep forgetting to bring things in from the car... or they're going out to the car and keep forgetting to bring things out from the house - either way: STOP OPENING AND CLOSING YOUR F'CKING DOORS SO MANY TIMES!

Or people who get dropped off at night, get out of the car and proceed to continue talking LOUDLY before saying bye. You had the whole car journey to have your boring conversation and if you were friends you'd continue said conversation on the phone if you were that desperate.

I can't reiterate the neutral engine sound enough, though.

Like, stop bringing your car into the street and sitting there for a further 10 minutes without turning off the engine. It makes me get up to check out the window repeatedly to see wtf is going on.

Also. Don't beep your f'cking horn you impatient pig.

And speaking of impatient.

I have another TA non-car-related.

If you're coming to my house, either knock on the door or use the door bell.... DO NOT DO BOTH! DO NOT RING THE BELL AND THEN START KNOCKING. I HEARD YOU THE FIRST TIME YOU IGNORAMUS.

*long sigh* that felt good.
    *Applauds
    I have new neighbours and they often leave their car idling for about five minutes before they set off for work. Night shift worker, so I'm usually in bed. And they do the opening and closing doors thing regularly too.
    They have SUV cars and are obsessed with them, power washer comes out for about four hours every few weeks.

Other than that they are lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Today I came face to face with somebody who wrongfully accused me of stealing in a workplace 17 years ago. REALLY hard to bite my tongue. I was 19 when it happened & young and naive. I could have defended myself much better. Basically, they claimed they had proof that I did it but curiously never produced any. And I actually could have proved that I didn’t do it. But I was so shocked by being accused. And facing a phalanx of managers leaning on you to admit you stole is so intimidating. I never caved (because why would I admit to something I didn’t do?) but left that job not long after. I was told by a friend who stayed working there after that the managers would openly badmouth me. Even before that incident happened, it was easily the most toxic place I had ever worked.

It was just a part-time college job so it didn’t really affect my employment prospects but not getting to definitively clear my name has always bugged me. I thought I’d never have to revisit that stressful incident ever again. She recognised me and all and was kinda smirky. Think I’ve added a few more grey hairs reliving that memory. Next time I face her, I’ll be shooting daggers at her and being the bare minimum of civil. Whatever the cursory amount of civility is, that’s what I’ll be. Not a jot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Onshuh wrote: »
    The way they're pronouncing nphet nefet. I don't know why but it bugs the sh!te of me.

I’d pronounce it that way, how would you pronounce it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Onshuh

It's not even a word but those collection of letters would be nfet. Where's the e between n and p? It's just another example of bullsh!t buzzwords that catch on quickly in this era of bullsh!t. Le sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

So you pronounce it nfet instead of nefet? Phonetically how does that sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I wouldn't go all out worrying about it first thing in the morning anyway.

TA itchy ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Onshuh

I don't speak the word to be honest and you can go away now and stop annoying me about my annoyances on a trivially annoying thread. You must have little to be at.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Patrick2010, take a week off from this thread please. Mod warnings have been posted in relation to not TAing others TAs before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Today I came face to face with somebody who wrongfully accused me of stealing in a workplace 17 years ago. REALLY hard to bite my tongue. I was 19 when it happened & young and naive. I could have defended myself much better. Basically, they claimed they had proof that I did it but curiously never produced any. And I actually could have proved that I didn’t do it. But I was so shocked by being accused. And facing a phalanx of managers leaning on you to admit you stole is so intimidating. I never caved (because why would I admit to something I didn’t do?) but left that job not long after. I was told by a friend who stayed working there after that the managers would openly badmouth me. Even before that incident happened, it was easily the most toxic place I had ever worked.

It was just a part-time college job so it didn’t really affect my employment prospects but not getting to definitively clear my name has always bugged me. I thought I’d never have to revisit that stressful incident ever again. She recognised me and all and was kinda smirky. Think I’ve added a few more grey hairs reliving that memory. Next time I face her, I’ll be shooting daggers at her and being the bare minimum of civil. Whatever the cursory amount of civility is, that’s what I’ll be. Not a jot more.

It sounds to me like she was the thief and she accused you to take the spotlight off herself. The cow :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

TA - I have allergies, I’m sneezing like ****.

Literally no other symptoms but my subconscious is screaming COVID at me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Antares35 wrote: »
    Shops being so mean spirited in the midst of the pandemic. Grocery sales were up 17 percent because of people panic buying. It's basically Christmas for food shops, yet they still increased their prices. I shop in Lidl, and have noticed so many random, overnight increases. They probably think people won't notice but when you're used to getting the same products you do! I love their square wheaten, and just like that it went from 49 to 67c. Ok still cheap, but that's almost a fifty percent increase...Same with their sparkling water which OH buys, from 39 to 58c or something.

Also TA the silly bint in the pharmacy today who struck up a conversation with me as I waited for a prescription. Actually walked over to me and took off her mask to show me the marks it was leaving on her face. Would you get away from me with your fúckery germ spreading eugh. I'd say she's the kind that nothing much would survive in to be honest but she could easily be transmitting :D

Yes i have noticed prices sneaking up.Except in Iceland where Nandos peri peri sauce is 3,50.Was only ever 2.00.

Its such a jump,i could neatly buy 2 bottles for the price of 1 now.I complained on Twitter,so we shall see.

It sounds to me like she was the thief and she accused you to take the spotlight off herself. The cow :mad:

Well, I’m not sure if it was her but looking back now, it was clearly a higher up covering their own arse. I asked my husband if in his managerial position, he had proof of an employee stealing, wouldn’t the first thing he does be to present the employee with that proof? He said “100%”. There’d be no beating around the bush. He said if they didn’t produce proof, they had nothing.

Why it bothers me is that I was accused of stealing money from another employee who happened to be a good friend of mine and not ever getting to clear my name to her is what bothers me. Bless her socks, she has always said she believes me but she’s human and I’m sure there must be some small bit of doubt in her mind.

The annoying thing is I know now what I would have done to clear my name but I can’t stress how totally shocking it is to be accused of stealing. I was shellshocked. And so so young. So I just sort of froze. I denied it but didn’t go farther than that when I should have.

The annoying thing is I know now what I would have done to clear my name but I can’t stress how totally shocking it is to be accused of stealing. I was shellshocked. And so so young. So I just sort of froze. I denied it but didn’t go farther than that when I should have.
    Well I would have done the same myself in that situation, I'm very bad for freezing up.
    The woman still sounds like a gloating cow though. Here is my suggestion for how to interact with her if you meet again:
    Blank her, just totally ignore her. If she comes over to say hi, you look puzzled and say' sorry do I know you?'. When she tries to jog your memory just say 'sorry, but I don't remember you at all' and walk off.
    That will make her see that she and the incident are so unimportant to you that you've forgot all about them.

if you want to really put the boot in, do the above but at the end say 'Oh! Now I remember you. Wow, I wouldn't have recognised you in a million years you look SO much older now' :D

Well I would have done the same myself in that situation, I'm very bad for freezing up.
    The woman still sounds like a gloating cow though. Here is my suggestion for how to interact with her if you meet again:
    Blank her, just totally ignore her. If she comes over to say hi, you look puzzled and say' sorry do I know you?'. When she tries to jog your memory just say 'sorry, but I don't remember you at all' and walk off.
    That will make her see that she and the incident are so unimportant to you that you've forgot all about them.

if you want to really put the boot in, do the above but at the end say 'Oh! Now I remember you. Wow, I wouldn't have recognised you in a million years you look SO much older now' :D

Haha, LOL. :D

Here’s the awkward thing - she’s a pharmacy tech in my local pharmacy. My mother had been collecting my prescription for years (long boring story) but because of Covid, I’ve had to start collecting it myself. So it’s kind of a weird situation as I will almost certainly come face to face with her again. She has to be polite to me though, so that’s a bonus. :pac:

I posted in here about introductions in books before, if they are really long or give away all the plot twists and ruin the book.
    I read an introduction in a non-fiction book yeterday, and the writer comes across as such a smug-arse that now I don't want to read the book.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I posted in here about introductions in books before, if they are really long or give away all the plot twists and ruin the book.
    I read an introduction in a non-fiction book yeterday, and the writer comes across as such a smug-arse that now I don't want to read the book.

I once ruined a book, well the story, I should say, for myself, by reading the acknowledgments. I forget the ins and outs now. They were at the back of the book but I read them first, and they gave away something important about the storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Watching a bit of American football. 1 is I’ve just realised it s a repeat :( 2 is naming Super Bowls xxx etc , just call them my year ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I once ruined a book, well the story, I should say, for myself, by reading the acknowledgments. I forget the ins and outs now. They were at the back of the book but I read them first, and they gave away something important about the storyline.

I treat introductions to novels in the same way I treated writing introductions to academic essays - leave them til last. Sometimes you might get more insight and a deeper appreciation for the novel you just finished but I find they usually add nothing but pretentious gas bagging, especially if it's not written by the novel's author . Aso for revealing the plot, that's just unforgivable!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I treat introductions to novels in the same way I treated writing introductions to academic essays - leave them til last. Sometimes you might get more insight and a deeper appreciation for the novel you just finished but I find they usually add nothing but pretentious gas bagging, especially if it's not written by the novel's author . Aso for revealing the plot, that's just unforgivable!

I would usually skim through acknowledgements, I shouldn't even have seen these until I got to the end of the book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

cj maxx wrote: »
    Watching a bit of American football. 1 is I’ve just realised it s a repeat :( 2 is naming Super Bowls xxx etc , just call them my year ffs[/QUOTE

https://www.dictionary.com/e/the-roman-numeral-bowl-are-you-ready-for-some-football/

Just read that, dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

A few months ago I doscovered what I thought was a treasure trove on reddit, a sub deducated to high quality fake designer stuffs.
    I’ve always been a fan, ordering cheap things from China or on the beach in Psain.
    This was an eye opener! These women count the stiches and compare in the the authentica, the number of squares, the placing of clasps, everything!
    So natually I decided to order one, through whatsapp and paying by paypal friends and family. I got the highest quality one I could find and tranferred 500 eur.
    Thats when my priblems began. Apparently it’s much stricter in Europe. Now mine wasn’t seized, it was returned to shipper. They have said they’re redirecting to the US then to me but still nothing. No tracking this time either.
    The reddit sub does have a list of trusted sellers and this was one, but some nights I’m cool and calm and saying it’ll arrive, they’re a trusted seller. Then others I just get really angry. I just don’t know if the stress was worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

A few months ago I doscovered what I thought was a treasure trove on reddit, a sub deducated to high quality fake designer stuffs.
    I’ve always been a fan, ordering cheap things from China or on the beach in Psain.
    This was an eye opener! These women count the stiches and compare in the the authentica, the number of squares, the placing of clasps, everything!
    So natually I decided to order one, through whatsapp and paying by paypal friends and family. I got the highest quality one I could find and tranferred 500 eur.
    Thats when my priblems began. Apparently it’s much stricter in Europe. Now mine wasn’t seized, it was returned to shipper. They have said they’re redirecting to the US then to me but still nothing. No tracking this time either.
    The reddit sub does have a list of trusted sellers and this was one, but some nights I’m cool and calm and saying it’ll arrive, they’re a trusted seller. Then others I just get really angry. I just don’t know if the stress was worth it!

Walls of text..... piss me off big time......

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Brendan Bendar take a week off this thread. Warnings in OP and not a day old.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Another captain fail in the FF by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

When your weekly non diet treat night take away tastes like ****

• Registered Users Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

weekend headaches should be outlawed

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Deja Boo wrote: »
    weekend headaches should be outlawed

meet your brother. i've had one since first thing this morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

The Third Day on Sky Atlantic.

I can’t decide if it’s going to be absolutely awesome and the best thing ever or another Lost that sucks in three years and ends up ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Im watching slow cooker recipes on YouTube.Most seem to be American and seriously the **** they put in there.

Orange chicken made with bbq sauce,marmalade and soy sauce.Just the weirdest:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement