Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferred State Exams 2020 [SEE MOD NOTE POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I look forward to the incoming ****storm. Shame on Fine Gael and the cowardly Joe McHugh for opening up this can of worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Form A and Form B relevant to the teacher, that's it as far as I can see.

The criteria to be applied by each teacher is broad enuf. You can use past school results, if you wish, but if you think they're not relevant (new teacher, better student cohort, you can ignore etc)

Professional judgement is key with some evidence to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭jayo76

It is NO different to the first set of guidlines from my reading of it

Step 1 - give every student in your class a mark based on past data but not limited to past data and professional judgement on how the Student would have done in June.
    Step 2 - rank the students in your class from 1-24 or whatever
    Step 3 - sit down with the other teachers of the other LC classes in your subject and rank them from 1-72 or whatever
    Step 4 - Principal signs off

According to the document is the ranking by each individual class within a subject and not across the whole year group? So 1-24 for each of 3 groups as opposed to 1-72?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Give your students benefit of the doubt. Because we all know this system will vary wildly from school to school.
    Prisoners dilemma my friend.
    Are mock results excluded ??

jayo76 wrote: »
    According to the document is the ranking by each individual class within a subject and not across the whole year group? So 1-24 for each of 3 groups as opposed to 1-72?

Yeah, just your class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Form A and Form B relevant to the teacher, that's it as far as I can see.

The criteria to be applied by each teacher is broad enuf. You can use past school results, if you wish, but if you think they're not relevant (new teacher, better student cohort, you can ignore etc)

Professional judgement is key with some evidence to support it.

That's pretty vague. You don't have to show the evidence or could easily be created. So it's a useless term- professional in this case. If you had been told, keep detailed records / student progress reports and didn't - then you could be accused of not being professional- but you weren't asked to. So what the hell is professional in this case ??

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Give your students benefit of the doubt. Because we all know this system will vary wildly from school to school.

“Treat them with caution “

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

What the Hell is going on......ASTI sought legal advice and are not satisfied that the teacher is 100% covered.
    TUI said ,alright Jack ,everything is fine.

How could this be,could they not bloody talk to each other!

Bobtheman wrote: »

Mock results can be disregarded as unreliable if you want or as a small part of continued student performance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

jayo76 wrote: »

Wasn’t my initial reading.

Will have to read it again.

• Advertisement

I will have to make at least two round trips of an hour and a half to the school due to not being able to complete these digitally FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

The JMB don’t seem too happy either, extract from bulletin issued to principals
    ‘The Department intends that an online training module will be made available to support relevant school personnel in applying the guidelines. School management is therefore advised to await the enhanced clarification and shared understanding this online CPD will provide, before implementing key stages of the process.
    That said, some initial preparatory tasks could be undertaken at this stage, including:‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

You make a valid point, no doubt.
    I’m a great man for correcting and giving written feedback , but utterly hopeless at keeping ‘records’ of this.

The word that keeps being repeated in the new guidelines is EVIDENCE. The only ‘evidence’ I have are the 3 House exams and the pre - exams on the school’s VSware system.

I don’t see much wriggle room in how I can deviate from the recorded evidence . ie. the results.

My mocks were marked far too generously and erratically by a friend of a friend.This has caused a headache for me now.

Dad: What did ya get in the pre ?
    Daughter : 77%
    Dad : And he gave ya a bloody H4??

I don’t see anything in these guidelines that allow us a measure of professional judgment.

It cleverly ‘suggests’ we do, but on closer inspection, we don’t. It’s about the tangible evidence.

To address your inflation argument, I will refer to an actual example of a student I have.

Christmas 18 - 61%
    Summer. 19 - 58%
    Christmas. 19 - 56%
    Pre Exam. - 64%

I can’t ( as much as I’d like to ) give this girl a H3. There is no evidence’ to suggest she is capable of it, or deserves it.

It’s a bit of a mess.

Surely in this example the student gets at most a H4 ??

Maybe I’m missing something, but why would a H3 even be considered ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

km79 wrote: »
    I will have to make at least two round trips of an hour and a half to the school due to not being able to complete these digitally FFS

Really, that's your problem with all this. FFS.

Form filling has never been made seem so convoluted

Blondini wrote: »
    Really, that's your problem with all this. FFS.

I have MANY problems with it hence my many posts on the matter
    However
    This is one that is just needless and so even more annoying
    We are in the middle of a pandemic obviously
    But we can’t sign the forms digitally ? And they must be printed ? A lot is don’t have access to printers
    So a lot of teachers will now have to congregate at schools
    Where we have access to one printer/copier in a tiny room

Why ?
    I signed contracts for a property purchase digitally a few weeks ago.
    But I can’t sign my name to this ?

I'm worried about the term 'evidence'.

Are mere results recorded in my teachers journal 'evidence' without the students accompanying scripts?

Sigh after hours
    Why did I bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Mock results can be disregarded as unreliable if you want or as a small part of continued student performance

Or as a big part.It’s up to yourself.Judging from the range of opinions, the whole thing is an a la carte buffet

I can understand the need for the alignment meetings now - It’s to prevent Mr.Vain or Ms.Ambitious from pulling the pi$$ with 10 H1s.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

jprender wrote: »

Because students typically improve from their mocks. Some don't but the majority manage to get their arses in gear and improve between February and June. So it is conceivable that this student might pull out a H3 on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm worried about the term 'evidence.

Are mere results recorded in my teachers journal evidence without the students accompanying scripts?

For sixth year most of my work is commented on their Manuscripts/handouts and handed straight back. I don’t have Written records much beyond the three sets of vsware reports this year And I didn’t teach the group last year. Who knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

I was responding to a poster who advocated inflating grades by 15%

I'm worried about the term 'evidence'.

Are mere results recorded in my teachers journal 'evidence' without the students accompanying scripts?

Yes, it says somewhere in that document that if students have some of the evidence you're not allowed contact them to get it.

For sixth year most of my work is commented on their Manuscripts/handouts and handed straight back. I don’t have Written records much beyond the three sets of vsware reports this year And I didn’t teach the group last year. Who knows

crystal-ball-gif-4.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It would depend on the individual student. In my experience the vast majority of students with those results would achieve at least a H3. Often better.

Because students typically improve from their mocks. Some don't but the majority manage to get their arses in gear and improve between February and June. So it is conceivable that this student might pull out a H3 on the day.

Surely that would be a huge improvement considering the mocks were marked too easy.

Before the mocks, they were on a downward trend and were on a high H5.

In my opinion, a H3 is not achievable based on “evidence”.

And, students must not be contacted to retrieve such evidence. Additionally, according to GDPR, any evidence with the students name must be only used for specified purpose, so realistically, you may have already shredded those scripts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Surely that would be a huge improvement considering the mocks were marked too easy.

Before the mocks, they were on a downward trend and were on a high H5.

In my opinion, a H3 is not achievable based on “evidence”.

What subject do you teach?

km79 wrote: »
    Sigh after hours
    Why did I bother

Sigh, practical subject 'teacher' with a simple pass degree;
    Why did I bother?

Am I doing this right ;)

• Advertisement

What subject do you teach?

Do I need to teach to offer an opinion ?

I’m an accountant with a postgrad in statistics, so things like this interest me.

An interested observer, that is all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement