Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferred State Exams 2020 [SEE MOD NOTE POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I'm not sure about the SEC returning anything. The guidelines don't say about you applying a mark to anything, just estimating a percentage. This is a desk exercise based on the data you have in front of you.

Hopefully there will be something today from the DES there's so much speculation, nobody knows if they're coming or going.

I think completed projects are to be returned

Millem wrote: »
    We had a meeting yesterday. I can’t see the deadline being met with Home Ec tbh. God only knows when we will get the journals or scores back.
    One teacher asked the question re SLAR with Vice P and they were told they would be better off having it with someone in their department eg one Economics teacher has SLAR with Business teacher.
    The Business teacher in question is not a qualified Economics teacher.

The guidelines say the one-teacher LC subject areas are to meet with the VP. I don't think schools can apply their own interpretation to what's laid out in the guideline

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2020/0512/1138045-minister-questions-dail/

Detailed guidelines for teachers being drawn up
    Not a notion we will be finished up by end of may
    Which is fine given that we won’t be on call all summer now and back in July .........unless they change their minds again !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

We are in Alice in wonderland territory. Impossible things before breakfast etc but I can't see a reversal of this.
    However I'd be cautious about running around getting info for this. The department have to clarify a lot of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

No rush to have grades in , deadline will get pushed back. What are they going to do if you're late... Just make up their own grade? The exam results were always submitted end of July anyway... What's the rush?

• Advertisement

Not going to look good when they compare predicted with actual exam results later.

Over estimated: Teachers professional judgement in question. Cue media bashing.
    Under estimated: Teachers professional judgement in question. Cue media bashing.
    Exactly correct: Predictive grades every year.

It's a zero-sum game.

Are the Department going to release all the stats? I think the unions should have this agreed that they won't, given the one-off nature it shouldn't be used as an experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,848 ✭✭✭doc_17

Has anyone been stopped by the Gardaí when they were in their way to school to get what they deemed to be essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

doc_17 wrote: »
    Has anyone been stopped by the Gardaí when they were in their way to school to get what they deemed to be essential?

At the moment you don't have permission to be going into the school building until Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

km79 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2020/0512/1138045-minister-questions-dail/

Which is fine given that we won’t be on call all summer now and back in July .........unless they change their minds again !

I thought the same at first, but really, it is not fine.

They had ages to properly sort all this out to ensure it could be done by the end of May.

I wouldn't mind working through June if it were a case of there being no other option, for the good of the system/students etc but it is down to incompetence and the education sector being put on the back burner... again.

It doesn't seem so bad that we are being kept on until June because they initially told us we would be in there in July, which was ludicrous.

There are issues that will arise because of this that we haven't even thought of yet. One example is that I know of a school who has had to pull their virtual presentation of awards to their 6th years for fear of appearing like they were looking too favorably on a select bunch of students.

We are not going to fully understand how unworkable this is until we are right in the thick of it. One positive though, is that the entire country will be left with no doubt that this kind of thing can NEVER become the norm.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I thought the same at first, but really, it is not fine.

They had ages to properly sort all this out to ensure it could be done by the end of May.

I wouldn't mind working through June if it was a case that there was no other option, for the good of the system/students etc but it is down to incompetence and the education sector being put on the back burner... again.

It doesn't seem so bad that we are being kept on until June because they initially told us we would be in there in July, which was ludicrous.

There are issues that will arise because of this that we haven't even thought of yet. One example is that I know of a school who has had to pull their virtual presentation of awards to their 6th years for fear of appearing like they were looking too favorably on a select bunch of students.

We are not going to fully understand how unworkable this is until we are right in the thick of it. One positive though, is that the entire country will be left with no doubt that this kind of thing can NEVER become the norm.
    Agreed
    The value of the traditional LC is being shown now. Yes it needs some more continuous assessment BUT it should still be weighted heavily towards independently set and corrected exams

For what it is worth I do not think we will be working through June. I think there might be a bit of over and back with Principal/colleagues for one week . This is assuming of course we get guidelines by next week so can start on the process.

TBH it is only now as we begin to wind down classes towards revision for end of year exams that I truly understand how insanely busy I have been morning, noon and night. I have forgotten how to relax. I am a fairly avid reader but I have not finished the 400 page novel I started in March!
    Looking forward to the summer holidays ......hopefully!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Our principal had asked us to begin compiling data but in fairness sent us an updated email in last few minutes saying to hold on and disregard his previous email in light of what the TUI have said.

Thanks, that's interesting... so wait until the students changes levels for an exam they wont do. I'm glad I'm not a Leaving Cert Student this year.
    Members must also bear in mind that, as part of the intensive discussions, a centralised system is being prepared to allow students to confirm/change the level at which they are entered for subjects. No local arrangements are to be put in place regarding the choice of levels.

If school management locally is seeking to have the process of estimating marks commence prior to issue of the guidance, please advise that this is premature and may compromise the process. In any event, members of the TUI should politely decline an invitation to be involved.

Didn't I tell ye to hold off sure ;)

this is interesting https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0513/1138100-hiqa-coronavirus-review/

Dunno how managers thought they cud start a solo run on this. There will be a centralised form and online training.

Gather your data, do nothing and wait.

Joe McHugh just addressing Dail there now about the LC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Joe McHugh just addressing Dail there now about the LC

A TD looking for clarity for 5th years...who’s exams are 13 months away, give me strength.

Shn99 wrote: »
    A TD looking for clarity for 5th years...who’s exams are 13 months away, give me strength.

I agree it is an issue to be looked at, but now is not the time. More pressing issues to be sorted out now.

Joe McHugh says guidance coming next week for teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

What exactly will be happening when teachers return on the 18th. Meetings? Grading won’t take up that much time. A lot of schools have a very large staff I don’t understand.

• Advertisement

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    What exactly will be happening when teachers return on the 18th. Meetings? Grading won’t take up that much time. A lot of schools have a very large staff I don’t understand.

School is accessible for those who need it

The schools are just being opened for access if teachers need to do so.

Joe McHugh says guidance coming next week for teachers.

I hope it is rock solid. We can not afford any further delays from that point
    Start of next week is still time enough

km79 wrote: »
    I hope it is rock solid. We can not afford any further delays from that point
    Start of next week is still time enough

Yes I agree. We don't need a huge amount of time if the guidelines are clear and easy to follow.

Yes I agree. We don't need a huge amount of time if the guidelines are clear and easy to follow.

We'll have to wait for students to select their levels and then we can proceed with guidance, official forms and the promised training

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Teachers aren't 'returning' to school on the 18th. The building is accessible if you need to get something but not for staff meetings. You aren't meant to be hanging about having the chats with your colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

A friends school is expecting them all back in from Monday. Letters from the school arrived to them this morning for presenting to the Gardaí.

A friends school is expecting them all back in from Monday. Letters from the school arrived to them this morning for presenting to the Gardaí.

What are they being told to do when they go in? What protocols have been put in place to ensure their safety? We've been asked to ring ahead to let school know if we're calling in so that there aren't too many of us in together (if using staff room/work room) and we've been reminded again about the importance of social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

I presume such schools are implementing the relevant steps of the Covid 19 return to work plan:

https://dbei.gov.ie/en/Publications/Publication-files/Return-to-Work-Safely-Protocol.pdf

• Advertisement

In case they need to go in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement