Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"guns" seized.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

The media here have as much understanding of firearms, as i do about the mathematics of nuclear fusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

The issue here Cass is you're not allowed to have a imitation firearm in public whatsoever they cannot be seen even in the backgarden
    Though me and you can walk up and down the road with our firearms because they're real and licensed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

What kind of real air rifle is a bolt action like in the pic?It's an airsoft rifle.
    Another mess of reporting due to ignorance.
    Lets hope AGS isnt going to go the line of UK and German police declaring airsofts,[and blank firing guns and airguns in Germany] as "weapons seizures":rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The issue here Cass is you're not allowed to have a imitation firearm in public whatsoever........
    Its the same with real guns, but you're right and i didn't consider the notion that this chap was in public with it and not in the fields. Just whenever i think of someone out with a gun i immediately think of them being in a field or on land they have permission for.
    they cannot be seen even in the backgarden
    Really? Did not know that.

Its on your own property, and as they're not real guns any discharge of them within the confines of your own property wouldn't, to me, seem to be an issue.

Would you have a link to the law on that, would love to read up on it.
    Though me and you can walk up and down the road with our firearms because they're real and licensed
    Not quite.

As above if you have a real, or imitation seemingly, firearm in public even with a good reason and someone reports you for brandishing it and says they feel alarmed or threatened (just by being able to see it) its an offence.

Walking from permission to permission along a road is a good reason and once the firearm is cased or broken down so as not to be "wielded" in a threatening manner then you should be fine.

Just because we're licensed and they're real guns doesn't mean we have carte blanche, but i'm still curious as the laws surrounding RIF are not as tight as real guns, but they were given an update some years back however i'm not overly familiar with them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Cass wrote: »
    Its the same with real guns, but you're right and i didn't consider the notion that this chap was in public with it and not in the fields. Just whenever i think of someone out with a gun i immediately think of them being in a field or on land they have permission for.

Really? Did not know that.

Its on your own property, and as they're not real guns any discharge of them within the confines of your own property wouldn't, to me, seem to be an issue.

Would you have a link to the law on that, would love to read up on it.

Not quite.

As above if you have a real, or imitation seemingly, firearm in public even with a good reason and someone reports you for brandishing it and says they feel alarmed or threatened (just by being able to see it) its an offence.

Walking from permission to permission along a road is a good reason and once the firearm is cased or broken down so as not to be "wielded" in a threatening manner then you should be fine.

Just because we're licensed and they're real guns doesn't mean we have carte blanche, but i'm still curious as the laws surrounding RIF are not as tight as real guns, but they were given an update some years back however i'm not overly familiar with them.

Well ive walked from home to permissions with the dog and pump action over my shoulder and everyone including the local squad car has saluted me along the way , though i am out in the sticks.... Thought it was A ok:eek:

• Advertisement

Well ive walked from home to permissions with the dog and pump action over my shoulder and everyone including the local squad car has saluted me along the way , though i am out in the sticks.... Thought it was A ok:eek:

Same here, but try it anywhere near a city and you'll be down the road, explaining your actions.

The key words are good reason.

If you're out hunting, with or even without dogs, and going to your next permission you're 100%, as i done it myself.

As was said above try that in a town and have your gun just because you fancy bringing it for awwalk, and see how quickly AGS/armed response give you a tap on the shoulder.

Its all about common sense lad.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Like most media reports, more is left unsaid than reported, and facts are ignored for the sake of a better headline.
    We aren't told if the person was on land they or their family owned, or on the public road.
    We aren't told if the rifle was licenced to a family member or friend, or stolen property.
    Likewise with the air rifle.
    We aren't told if the photo has any actual link to the report, or a stock image.
    If it is of two items seized, why not show the air rifle?
    We aren't told if the person is "known" to the Gardai.
    And finally, if you are going out with a firearm you are not entitled to have in your possession, probably best not to have drugs lying about your house or room.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Like most media reports, more is left unsaid than reported, and facts are ignored for the sake of a better headline.
    We aren't told if the person was on land they or their family owned, or on the public road.
    We aren't told if the rifle was licenced to a family member or friend, or stolen property.
    Likewise with the air rifle.
    We aren't told if the photo has any actual link to the report, or a stock image.
    If it is of two items seized, why not show the air rifle?
    We aren't told if the person is "known" to the Gardai.
    And finally, if you are going out with a firearm you are not entitled to have in your possession, probably best not to have drugs lying about your house or room.

I seen one bright spark in the Uk heading out for a drive while wearing hi-vis vest etc, when pulled over, he tried to bs the police that he was a key worker, so they searched his car and found 20k's worth of drugs.

tudderone wrote: »
    I seen one bright spark in the Uk heading out for a drive while wearing hi-vis vest etc, when pulled over, he tried to bs the police that he was a key worker, so they searched his car and found 20k's worth of drugs.

Same as the two rocket scientists that were stopped outside Cork with 8k worth between them Sat evening on a motorway Rona checkpoint??? Gotta really wonder about the IQ and common sense of both criminal and avearage Pat and Marry Murphy betimes .:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Limerick Sovereigns

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0415/1130720-drugs-hidden-takeaways/

What do ye think of the semi-auto pictured in this article?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Its something like a baby glock, small and compact but can do the same as a full size pistol if your standing in front of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0415/1130720-drugs-hidden-takeaways/

When you zoom into the pic, it looks like the markings on the slide and frame that would identify it as an airsoft replica have been deliberately blanked out. There's something about the shape of the revolver behind the cylinder that looks off to me, too.

Walther PPS (M2) in 9mm.

The Revolver is a S&W model 64.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Both look real to me.

I actually get a bit of a laugh out of trying to identify some of the wild and wacky guns seized in Ireland, one of the ones in this nearly beat me, but got it eventually - Name those guns:

image.jpg

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ten-firearms-found-in-bag-in-dublin-were-owned-by-kinahan-cartel-garda%C3%AD-believe-1.4130812

My guess :
    • Two Walter P22's
    • Two Aks (or some variant of them)
    • Glock 21, i think but not sure on the different models
    • S&W revolver either model 10 or 15

However one pistol is stumping me. The one in the top of the bag where i can only see the handgrip. Looks SIG-like, but something about it seems un-SIG-like. The grips of the slide are rear facing which most pistol have them straight up or forward (muzzle) slanting. Thought it might be an airsoft then.

AK, S&W, Glock all good to go,
    Walther yes, but I don't think P22

That top one took me a week. I don't think it's airsoft.

civdef wrote: »
    AK, S&W, Glock all good to go,
    Yay.
    Walther yes, but I don't think P22
    PPQ then.
    That top one took me a week. I don't think it's airsoft.
    I was thinking Ruger but the end slide is wrong. Same with Springfield, but the grips are wrong. Then i thought ZEV OZ-9, but it's a Glock look a like so the sig like slide doesn't match. :confused:

So only the mystery gun remains - I'll leave a clue - it's been a relatively common find among criminals across Europe, definitely not a high end gun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Max H

Zoraki possibly??

• Advertisement

It's a Turkish blank firing pistol,that can be specifically converted to fire live ammo in lower calibers.IOW it is designed from the word go for such a conversion in backyard gunshops found in Pakistan and Algeria. Cant remember the name of this off the top of my head,but my Italian gun journalist contact in FUN identified it.

As for the 2 handguns seized.
    The Walther is a 8mm blank firing pistol.Zoom your screens in to about 200% and you can see what looks like "Werther Arms" ?? 8mm AR. I'd bet any money that if the info on the gun slide and barrel was visible there is a pentagon with "PTB" in the middle of it. ALL blankfiring guns in Germany must have that if they are sold to the public.

Max H wrote: »
    Zoraki possibly??

We have a winner, ATAK Zoraki 914, like mentioned by Grizzly- pretty much designed to br converted from blank to live, apparently it’s been one of the most commmonly seized illegal guns in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

It says Walther Arms, Fort Smith, AR

The original pic on Twitter had more detail, the markings look consistent with US importer markings on a live gun -
    “Walther Arms Fort Smith AR”

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/walther-issues-urgent-recall-for-select-pps-m2-pistols/
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    The Walther is a 8mm blank firing pistol.Zoom your screens in to about 200% and you can see what looks like "Werther Arms" ?? 8mm AR. I'd bet any money that if the info on the gun slide and barrel was visible there is a pentagon with "PTB" in the middle of it. ALL blankfiring guns in Germany must have that if they are sold to the public.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    The Walther is a 8mm blank firing pistol.Zoom your screens in to about 200% and you can see what looks like "Werther Arms" ?? 8mm AR.
    Says Walther, Fort Smith, AR. Fort Smith arizona is where Walther are made.

Also on the mag you'll see the Walther logo and while not 100% clear you can see something about M Series, Cal. written on it. Seems legit.

I'd bet any money that if the info on the gun slide and barrel was visible there is a pentagon with "PTB" in the middle of it. ALL blankfiring guns in Germany must have that if they are sold to the public.
    Not sure as i cannot see it, but it has a CIP marking on the rear of the receiver.

civdef wrote: »
    We have a winner, ATAK Zoraki 914, .

Only way i would have guessed that is by randomly searching Google for images. IOW never.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Max H

When i lived in UK there were a load seized by UK Police, it was in the news

• Advertisement

Advertisement