Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is my weight flucuating so much?

Options
  • 10-04-2020 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

So I was 20 stone last August and on the 13th of March I got to 17 and a half stone. That was the day I started self isolation and had to stop going to the gym as it closed then.

I'm out of self isolation 3 days now and I weighed myself today and I'm 18 stone 1 pound !!!!
    • I'm doing an outpatient programme for binge eating disorder.
    • I switched from milk to dark chocolate and have a small bar once a day.
    • I don't count calories as it may lead to ED getting worse.
    • I've only binged 3 times since the 1st of Feb.

It is SO frustrating. The doctor and her team estimated I used to eat 3'500-5'000 calories a day and now I'm nowhere near that I'd say I don't go past 2'300 a day.

I just don't get why this is happening :(

Factors I think it could be but couldn't make me gain this amount so quick!

• Don't drink more than 500mls of water a day.
    • Don't eat enough proteain and have 2 big carb portions a day like bread and pasta.
    • I was working out 3 days a week and now obviously I aimnt. going to try youtube videos from today to try help.

I also have felt very bloated the last 2 weeks. I'm not used to eatting breakfast and getting up at 9am. I used to not eat until 12. I've also been eating a bit more dairy than usual and lactose is like an allergy to me.

It's so frustrating. If before I had help with my ED I would binge from being upset from this and now I dont even feel the urge to binge anymore!! Im going mad lol.

I'm 27, female and 5 foot 10.

Any advice? No problem if not! It's so complcated :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Could partly be explained by water retention....time of the month, stress, a lot of carbs.

You're not exercising as much which will be a part of it but likely a small part. That said, exercise may just help in terms of stress and feeling proactive so I'd try get into a habit of some workouts for that reason. You don't need much space.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

Could partly be explained by water retention....time of the month, stress, a lot of carbs.

You're not exercising as much which will be a part of it but likely a small part. That said, exercise may just help in terms of stress and feeling proactive so I'd try get into a habit of some workouts for that reason. You don't need much space.

It just makes no sense to me cause mathematically speaking I should be losing a lot of weight and Im not even though I'm heavy its not like Im 13 stone.

Might look into eating more keto based see how it goes. And I only get TOTM twice a year so its not that anyway lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Keto sounds like a very bad idea for someone with an eating disorder. Just fix the things you already know you are doing wrong;
    Drink more water
    Eat less dairy
    Get more exercise
    Eat smaller portions of pasta and bread

Keto sounds like a very bad idea for someone with an eating disorder. Just fix the things you already know you are doing wrong;
    Drink more water
    Eat less dairy
    Get more exercise
    Eat smaller portions of pasta and bread

I don't mean sticking to keto I mean like having keto lunches or something? I know I wont get the carb rush but cause Im not going to the gym I prob dont need them as much?
    I dont eat bread really. I def eat too much pasta lol.
    I think I might start counting calories to try help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

It is SO frustrating. The doctor and her team estimated I used to eat 3'500-5'000 calories a day and now I'm nowhere near that I'd say I don't go past 2'300 a day

Any advice? No problem if not! It's so complcated :confused:

This is where I saw something to consider 3500-5000 is a lot of calories saying you don't go past 2300 is that for definite? That's still a good amount - to me losing weight is all about calories in versus calories burned. Sometimes we just aren't very efficient at burning them and then we may be taking in more than we realise (very easy to do) I would log calories in a daily basis and make sure that 2300 number is being stuck to and when you lose weight that calorie intake could be lowered to.

Please forgive I just saw the ED being a reason for not counting - is there any other simple way to do this? I'm not sure - (you may want to discount all above but I'll leave it for now)

• Advertisement

Pretzill wrote: »
    This is where I saw something to consider 3500-5000 is a lot of calories saying you don't go past 2300 is that for definite? That's still a good amount - to me losing weight is all about calories in versus calories burned. Sometimes we just aren't very efficient at burning them and then we may be taking in more than we realise (very easy to do) I would log calories in a daily basis and make sure that 2300 number is being stuck to and when you lose weight that calorie intake could be lowered to.

Please forgive I just saw the ED being a reason for not counting - is there any other simple way to do this? I'm not sure - (you may want to discount all above but I'll leave it for now)

I binged last night out of frustration lol.

My body is used to walking minimum 7000 steps a day and 45-60 min workouts 3 days a week and then I was in isolation for 3 weeks doing sod all so presume it's to do with that!

Thanks for that I agree with all you said I want to count calories now. I know I've been having smaller portions but before I lived off junk but now I eat 3 meals a day and 2 or 3 healthy snacks whereas before I just binged twice a day and had the odd lunch or dinner so maybe I'm still adjusting ?

Might download my fitness pal even for 2 weeks to see if I've my macros ok etc !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Most likely explanation is your activity rate dropped. Calories in is only one part of the equation. If your expending less calories, then you can also gain weight.

Maybe try being more active during the day and doing some at home workouts.

So now I'm counting calories and macros and still the same. Going to have to ring my consultant cause there's no reason why it shouldn't be falling off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭wildwillow

You are probably still eating too much each day. Instead of counting calories, try weighing out the recommended amount for a single serving. You would be amazed at how small a portion is. lt is very difficult to deal with an eating disorder especially at this time.

I lost 60 lbs last year to now weigh 140. Had lost 20 lbs a few years previously so was grossly overweight at that time.

I found having lots of fruit and vegetables available prevented me from eating too much carbohydrates. I now live alone and am unrelenting in not buying processed or sweet foods. Not easy in a busy household though.

I'm finding it difficult during lock down but drink a glass of water if I feel the need to overeat. It takes the edge off your appetite.

Someone suggested I do jigsaws to distract myself.

Maybe try the routine where you eat very little for two days out of five.

The joy of shopping for clothes and seeing yourself in a new light makes it worth the effort. Though, to be honest, I still don't recognise myself in mirrors sometimes.

The health benefits are huge also. Type two diabetes was my biggest worry as it's widespread in my family.

It took me almost a lifetime to be happy abut my weight and not be obsessive about food.

Try to keep your resolve and you will succeed. Forgive yourself if you have an overeating session and try to get back on track immediately.

You CAN succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Sympathies, my friend: this is very frustrating for you.

Not meaning to sabotage, but do you have to be so completely isolated that you can't do a walk outdoors say, during the late evening or early morning when there's nobody around?
    - (wearing mask, and gloves, to be extra sure, if you like)

I mean, even the over-70's are being cautiously let out now.

It sounds to me like the loss of your usual activity could certainly lead to the excess food being stored as fat rather than "burnt off" to use simple vocabulary. The walking would have raised your heart-rate and so on.

Also, exercise is really good for mood.

• Advertisement

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Sympathies, my friend: this is very frustrating for you.

Not meaning to sabotage, but do you have to be so completely isolated that you can't do a walk outdoors say, during the late evening or early morning when there's nobody around?
    - (wearing mask, and gloves, to be extra sure, if you like)

I mean, even the over-70's are being cautiously let out now.

It sounds to me like the loss of your usual activity could certainly lead to the excess food being stored as fat rather than "burnt off" to use simple vocabulary. The walking would have raised your heart-rate and so on.

Also, exercise is really good for mood.

For the last 5 weeks I've been able to go out.
    I'm eating 1700-1900 calories a day.
    Im walking 6000+ steps a day. I have a very sore left ankle so can't walk fast.
    Im so frustrated I walked every night for 30 mins + the last 2 week's even with ankle killing me lol. I ate crap yesterday and Friday but didn't go over around 2300 calories. Im just so fed up its so hard to not give up :(

In contrast my little sister is after losing 5 lbs living off a dinner and a LOT of chocolate everyday :(

I keep getting bad cramps in my lower stomach and I haven't had my lady time (lol) in 5 months so I don't know if it's just a hormonal thing

At the moment I'm 5 foot 10 and 17 stone 10 lbs it should be coming off me :(

wildwillow wrote: »
    You are probably still eating too much each day. Instead of counting calories, try weighing out the recommended amount for a single serving. You would be amazed at how small a portion is. lt is very difficult to deal with an eating disorder especially at this time.

I lost 60 lbs last year to now weigh 140. Had lost 20 lbs a few years previously so was grossly overweight at that time.

I found having lots of fruit and vegetables available prevented me from eating too much carbohydrates. I now live alone and am unrelenting in not buying processed or sweet foods. Not easy in a busy household though.

I'm finding it difficult during lock down but drink a glass of water if I feel the need to overeat. It takes the edge off your appetite.

Someone suggested I do jigsaws to distract myself.

Maybe try the routine where you eat very little for two days out of five.

The joy of shopping for clothes and seeing yourself in a new light makes it worth the effort. Though, to be honest, I still don't recognise myself in mirrors sometimes.

The health benefits are huge also. Type two diabetes was my biggest worry as it's widespread in my family.

It took me almost a lifetime to be happy abut my weight and not be obsessive about food.

Try to keep your resolve and you will succeed. Forgive yourself if you have an overeating session and try to get back on track immediately.

You CAN succeed.

I can't do fasting or eating very little - my consultant would kill me lol.

Thanks for your long reply

At the moment now I'm 5 weeks back to work. Walking 6000 + steps a day. Eating on average 1800 calories a day.

I pretty much have : porridge water fruit, a banana, a proper dinner like roast chicken veggies cut down to 1 potato and lunch is anything from a brown sandwich and popcorn to a small portion of spag bol. I've replaced all the white bread rice etc for brown. I've upped by veggies etc and decreased my "big carbs"

Only thing is when I'm walking I usually walk very fast no matter if it's a just a walk in work or outside I'm a fast walker. I have a swollen ankle so have to go slower.

But I'm 17 and a half stone. It should be coming off anyway right ??? It's so discouraging :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Hang in there, @DisneyLover, you're doing the right things: it will happen!

Mind that ankle, though. Arnica? Bandage?

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Hang in there, @DisneyLover, you're doing the right things: it will happen!

Mind that ankle, though. Arnica? Bandage?

Bleh I'm going mad lol. I haven't eaten today lol

Haven't a clue. Had a sore arch area for a while doc said it was just the arch now from limping ankle and both sides of the back of my foot killing me. Always something haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Do you do OA meetings? Could be really helpful in dealing with your thoughts and behaviours around food, and help you to get a healthier relationship with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

OP I would be very similar to you in weight and struggle to lose weight unless I drop to around 1200 cals per day which isn't sustainable.

It is extremely frustrating to see others drop weight with what seems little effort, my sister would be the same i.e. gets results when she puts her mind to it.

I train up to 6 times a week prior to COVID crap. Nothing was happening so I sat down with my trainer and we went through everything and he then consulted with some others to see if they can see anything that we couldn't

Ultimately its a combination of everything that I've gone through in the past few years. I've had surgery on my stomach, I underwent chemo, steroids and radiotheraphy a couple of years ago and am on a hormone suppressing med since then which as put me into a chemical menopause. All of these things combined have an impact on my ability to lose, I'm not using it as an excuse it just makes it a bit harder but do able.

So recently I decided to change my focus from solely weight loss, while I would still be aware of what I eat and monitor it etc I was starting to work on other goals that I could see progress so as not to lose heart, e.g. when I was in the gym we picked the trap bar as something I would build on, so started at lifting 75kg and would progress from there.

This is something I will be working on when the gym reopens.

In the mean time I am trying to watch my food, follow my gyms online work outs as many days as possible and try not to be so hard on myself

Perhaps you can review your life and circumstances...write them down if you need to, things may not be as black and white as you think

Segotias wrote: »
    OP I would be very similar to you in weight and struggle to lose weight unless I drop to around 1200 cals per day which isn't sustainable.

It is extremely frustrating to see others drop weight with what seems little effort, my sister would be the same i.e. gets results when she puts her mind to it.

I train up to 6 times a week prior to COVID crap. Nothing was happening so I sat down with my trainer and we went through everything and he then consulted with some others to see if they can see anything that we couldn't

Ultimately its a combination of everything that I've gone through in the past few years. I've had surgery on my stomach, I underwent chemo, steroids and radiotheraphy a couple of years ago and am on a hormone suppressing med since then which as put me into a chemical menopause. All of these things combined have an impact on my ability to lose, I'm not using it as an excuse it just makes it a bit harder but do able.

So recently I decided to change my focus from solely weight loss, while I would still be aware of what I eat and monitor it etc I was starting to work on other goals that I could see progress so as not to lose heart, e.g. when I was in the gym we picked the trap bar as something I would build on, so started at lifting 75kg and would progress from there.

This is something I will be working on when the gym reopens.

In the mean time I am trying to watch my food, follow my gyms online work outs as many days as possible and try not to be so hard on myself

Perhaps you can review your life and circumstances...write them down if you need to, things may not be as black and white as you think

I'm 5 foot 10 so 1200 isn't an option for me ! Lol. Im ok on 1800 calories I might go down to 1700 see how it goes. I don't want to be hungry.

I have polycystic kidneys and I keep getting bad stomach cramps and bad lower back pain and haven't had my lady time in months so might get checked for pcos.

It's just hard becsuse of my weight I'm around 5 stone overweight so I don't understand how it isn't coming off

Do you do OA meetings? Could be really helpful in dealing with your thoughts and behaviours around food, and help you to get a healthier relationship with it.

I'm an outpatient in a hospital for my eating disorder. Had BED but have only binged 3 times since January. I have a cbt guy there, 2 consultants, my work psychiatrist and my own therapist

I'm 5 foot 10 so 1200 isn't an option for me ! Lol. Im ok on 1800 calories I might go down to 1700 see how it goes. I don't want to be hungry.

I have polycystic kidneys and I keep getting bad stomach cramps and bad lower back pain and haven't had my lady time in months so might get checked for pcos.

It's just hard becsuse of my weight I'm around 5 stone overweight so I don't understand how it isn't coming off

I'm 5ft 8, 1200cals is suitable for a toddler and nothing more so no one should be eating that little.

If as you seem to have a number of medical issues inspite of what people say cals in v cals out isn't always that simple

Stressing yourself won't help, if you're sleep pattern is bad, they are all factors in weight loss

I'm 5ft 8, 1200cals is suitable for a toddler and nothing more so no one should be eating that little.

If as you seem to have a number of medical issues inspite of what people say cals in v cals out isn't always that simple

Stressing yourself won't help, if you're sleep pattern is bad, they are all factors in weight loss

I emailed my hospital there to try get an appointment with a reg to get blood tests done hopefully something will show up.

I have had a constant pain in my tummy it's horrible.

I just ate now made myself 5 chicken goujons with beetroot and carrots and going to have brown pasta later with bacon and a bit of cream. Then maybe just fruit and a lactose free yoghurt at 9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

is pasta bacon and cream not quite high in calories agree with others when you get some tests done you may be able to get to where you want .

is pasta bacon and cream not quite high in calories agree with others when you get some tests done you may be able to get to where you want .

Yes it was only cause I hadn't eaten until 3 lol

I had spag bol instead that my dad made, 2 alpro Yoghurts and chicken goujons with a side salad.

I wonder if my weight is staying the same cause of my sore ankle / foot ? I have been walking 6000+ steps but way slower than I normally walk ? Could I be staying the same cause I'm not getting my heart rate up?

Went for a 3k walk at 10pm went as fast as I could and put loads of socks on for my foot lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

It's always going to be difficult to manage weight without some decent level of exercise. Walking is fine but you need a lot of it but you need your ankle to heal to tackle that .Hopefully when you get seen in a hospital for the tests you want you will be able to get back on track .You have lost some weight so that's good but you will need to have a good look again at the food and the portions that you are eating even some good food needs to be eaten in small amounts .Maby down the line a small exercise bike could be useful to burn some calories they are low impact and weather friendly plus little maintenance involved best of luck and try and stay positive .

I've been told multiple times and you'll probably see here its around 90% nutrition and 10% exercise when it comes to weight loss.

Along with the old classic of you can't out train a bad diet.

Calories burned during walking are very low. I walked my dogs yesterday for over 2 hours, my fitbit said I burned 1500 cals which is extremely high and very unlikely, if I hit 500 cals I'd say it would be closer to it. You need to burn 3,500 cals to lose a pound.

Focus on your diet, not eating much then eating high calorie foods you'll more than likely underestimate your intake.

I'm not sure what your ED consultant recommends on weighing food etc but you're focusing on weight loss which maybe at the moment is the best thing as you seem to be putting pressure on yourself. Perhap focus on getting her food healthy and let the weight loss be a natural progression of that.

By all means get the tests done to see if there's an underlying issue, I had them done and there wasn't but other factors impact my loss

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yes it was only cause I hadn't eaten until 3 lol

I had spag bol instead that my dad made, 2 alpro Yoghurts and chicken goujons with a side salad.

I wonder if my weight is staying the same cause of my sore ankle / foot ? I have been walking 6000+ steps but way slower than I normally walk ? Could I be staying the same cause I'm not getting my heart rate up?

Went for a 3k walk at 10pm went as fast as I could and put loads of socks on for my foot lol

No, it won't be because of your ankle. It's to do with energy in/energy out.

If your activity is restricted then you have to take that in to account with your nutrition because it will always come back to nutrition.

I've been told multiple times and you'll probably see here its around 90% nutrition and 10% exercise when it comes to weight loss.

Along with the old classic of you can't out train a bad diet.

Calories burned during walking are very low. I walked my dogs yesterday for over 2 hours, my fitbit said I burned 1500 cals which is extremely high and very unlikely, if I hit 500 cals I'd say it would be closer to it. You need to burn 3,500 cals to lose a pound.

Focus on your diet, not eating much then eating high calorie foods you'll more than likely underestimate your intake.

I'm not sure what your ED consultant recommends on weighing food etc but you're focusing on weight loss which maybe at the moment is the best thing as you seem to be putting pressure on yourself. Perhap focus on getting her food healthy and let the weight loss be a natural progression of that.

By all means get the tests done to see if there's an underlying issue, I had them done and there wasn't but other factors impact my loss

My BMR is 1900. So I still don't get how I'm not losing weight. Im burning at least 400 calories a day I'm always doing something and eating 1600-1800 so I have the math down to be losing anyway lol

No you're right. They didn't want me to calculate etc but I feel ready to do it cause even though I haven't been able to lose anything I haven't binged since Feb so I broke the cycle with my eating disorder :)

Food is normally thing everyday

Porridge with water & fruit. 1 day a week I might have rice krispie.
    A banana.
    Lunch I'm having a large portion of around 5 or 6 chicken goujons with low cal hot sauce, beetroot and other veg
    Dinner is the same as everyone but I take less carbs like 1 potato instead of 2 and I always have chicken or lean mince etc
    Snacks I have popcorn, alpro Yoghurts, veg or fruit. Odd time I have a little bournville bar as I have managed to give up milk chocolate this year.

And I count any sauce or butter etc :(

I wish I could cut off my stomach or get some sort of suction into It haha

Mars Bar wrote: »
    No, it won't be because of your ankle. It's to do with energy in/energy out.

If your activity is restricted then you have to take that in to account with your nutrition because it will always come back to nutrition.

BMR is 1900. Eat 1800 or a bit less. Burn minimum 400 cal a day. So the math is right but still not losing

It's always going to be difficult to manage weight without some decent level of exercise. Walking is fine but you need a lot of it but you need your ankle to heal to tackle that .Hopefully when you get seen in a hospital for the tests you want you will be able to get back on track .You have lost some weight so that's good but you will need to have a good look again at the food and the portions that you are eating even some good food needs to be eaten in small amounts .Maby down the line a small exercise bike could be useful to burn some calories they are low impact and weather friendly plus little maintenance involved best of luck and try and stay positive .

I have a good reebok bike at home so going to start using that today cheers. Going to increase my 35/40 min exercise to 60min see if that helps

Funny thing is lads, there is a huge difference in the photos I take every 3/4 weeks lol. My stomach looks way flatter today than in any of them and that was after dinner :) Just going to keep going and keep moving and get back to concentrating on weight when I have the gym back !

Thanks to all of ye for the replies :) X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Funny thing is lads, there is a huge difference in the photos I take every 3/4 weeks lol. My stomach looks way flatter today than in any of them and that was after dinner :) Just going to keep going and keep moving and get back to concentrating on weight when I have the gym back !

Thanks to all of ye for the replies :) X

Keep going and keep in mind that you have lost a good bit already. It can be really disappointing when you plateau or gain a bit but keep up your good habits and you will loose.

Advertisement