Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a hair cut

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

20th of July the big day?

I'd imagine a lot of barbers will be permanently closed by then.

I've invested in a decent clippers now and plan to use that going forward.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I presume a few have done it, i usually get a No 2 or 1.5 all over so im guessing it cant be that easy to **** it up completely? Looking online to buy clippers, any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Got one from power city grand job.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Central Services

I presume a few have done it, i usually get a No 2 or 1.5 all over so im guessing it cant be that easy to **** it up completely? Looking online to buy clippers, any suggestions?

You won't go too far wrong with Wahl.

Some clipper oil/lubricant is the only other thing you'll need. Can get it on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Bought one of those Philips multi tools from Harvey Norman. Delivered in 3 days, did 16mm all round, grand job. Can be used under the shower so easy to clean.

Not impressed of that 50 euro haircut meself, but people at work applauded, some even asked where I found a barber...

Leaving on my own so can't get neck and behind ears shaved to zero, not brave enough to do it meself with a mirror, but 16mm makes it look neat anyway. I might even go shorter next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Any links to what ye are recommending?? In fairness Wahl and phillips isn't very specific

Any links to what ye are recommending?? In fairness Wahl and phillips isn't very specific

https://www.boots.ie/philips-11-in-1-multigroom-series-5000-mg5730-33-10253466

I got this one from HN, not sure if they have any in stock left. I believe it is slightly overpriced if you just need haircut. Always good to have something like that just in case anyway. Easy to use, I assume they all work similar way as long as yiu stick to well known brand you should be fine.

It is a bit narrow so you do have to work a bit to get the whole head done.

Wahl, Remington, Philips, Braun, whatever you pick should work anyway. Better than leaving it on as one of my colleagues decided to do. He's not looking good lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

20th July is a joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i promised myself id never have long hair again but i have no choice now with the earliest opening date of hairdressers been the 20th July

Im not cutting it myself as i dont have the eye or skill for it and not trying it either

A few hairdressers might open up on the black market. A hardware/pub/hairdressers might open up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Paid 20 +6 delivery for a BaByliss from power city took about a week to show up.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i promised myself id never have long hair again but i have no choice now with the earliest opening date of hairdressers been the 20th July

Im not cutting it myself as i dont have the eye or skill for it and not trying it either

A few hairdressers might open up on the black market. A hardware/pub/hairdressers might open up :D

It doesn't take a lot of skill to just shorten it tbh.

You just keep going with 12 or 16mm until everything is cut.

It's not great, but definitely more respectable looking than just letting it grow, depending on your hair of course.

Mine are just all over the place after 2-3 weeks and would feel embarrassed to come to work or anywhere like that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I wouldn't want to be the first person in the chair of a barber after being out for such a long time :D I know of a few lads that kept a short hairstyle before this all happened, but now, their hair is quite long. I wouldn't be surprised if some barbers used this to their advantage and abused it. Or put their price up.

I use to be a barber and you wouldn't believe the number of lads/men that would rock up to the shop expecting a scissor-cut of short/shoulder length/long hair for the price of a short back and sides. Alot couldn't grasp that scissor cuts had their own prices. Also, there will be alot of men who will want a specific cut, fades, etc this will take a bit more time because of the length of customers' hair. For every shop owner, the number of bodies in the seat matter. I know most expect haircuts to be done in 15-20mins. If you are spending 25+ on a customer that is not good enough for them.

I still cut hair regularly and people usually come to the house. These same people over the past weeks have been trying to reassure me that they don't "have it" and also don't understand why I won't go to their houses. Barbershops will be rammed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Central Services

I wouldn't want to be the first person in the chair of a barber after being out for such a long time :D I know of a few lads that kept a short hairstyle before this all happened, but now, their hair is quite long. I wouldn't be surprised if some barbers used this to their advantage and abused it. Or put their price up.

I use to be a barber and you wouldn't believe the number of lads/men that would rock up to the shop expecting a scissor-cut of short/shoulder length/long hair for the price of a short back and sides. Alot couldn't grasp that scissor cuts had their own prices. Also, there will be alot of men who will want a specific cut, fades, etc this will take a bit more time because of the length of customers' hair. For every shop owner, the number of bodies in the seat matter. I know most expect haircuts to be done in 15-20mins. If you are spending 25+ on a customer that is not good enough for them.

I still cut hair regularly and people usually come to the house. These same people over the past weeks have been trying to reassure me that they don't "have it" and also don't understand why I won't go to their houses. Barbershops will be rammed.

Out of curiosity, would you have difficulty using scissors and comb while wearing latex gloves?

Deleted

Deleted

To be fair I consider barbers a skilled trade and if they have to raise the prices a bit when it's all over then be it.

I use two locally and its their sole source of income.

I can do it meself for a while, but they are obviously better at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

ofcork wrote: »
    Paid 20 +6 delivery for a BaByliss from power city took about a week to show up.

I have a babyliss. I use for more 'delicate' jobs . Is it big enough for head hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭wandererz

Have a Wahl Pet Trimmer which we only used once on the dogs due to sending them to the groomers.

Includes blades # 1, 3, 2,4 and has an adjustable lever to add an additional half size to any blade.
    It's also super silent.

All in all no different to a normal cutter in functionality.

I decided to let the wife have a go at my hair.
    She did a 3.5 back & sides and a 4 on the top.
    No scissors used or needed except for front/fringe area.
    Edges were done with pop out trimmer on my electric razor.

Came out rather well. No complaints here.
    May save the trip to the barber in the future.
    Spent the money on a bottle of wine for her instead.

If you can't find availability of regular trimmers then give these a go.

Mine are similar to this model

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0082JK9PW/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_G4LREbG7AFNGC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Tbh that sounds like a shaggy dog story ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

wandererz wrote: »
    Have a Wahl Pet Trimmer which we only used once on the dogs due to sending them to the groomers.

Includes blades # 1, 3, 2,4 and has an adjustable lever to add an additional half size to any blade.
    It's also super silent.

All in all no different to a normal cutter in functionality.

I decided to let the wife have a go at my hair.
    She did a 3.5 back & sides and a 4 on the top.
    No scissors used or needed except for front/fringe area.
    Edges were done with pop out trimmer on my electric razor.

Came out rather well. No complaints here.
    May save the trip to the barber in the future.
    Spent the money on a bottle of wine for her instead.

If you can't find availability of regular trimmers then give these a go.

Mine are similar to this model

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0082JK9PW/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_G4LREbG7AFNGC

Do you cock your leg going for a slash now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Think I might get a bit of a trim this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Tbh that sounds like a shaggy dog story ...

Do you cock your leg going for a slash now ?

These jokes are ruff.

Its pawsible the trim was a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

https://www.babyliss.co.uk/super-clipper-xtp-hair-clipper-7475DU.html

That's what I got. First time it wasn't as even as I'd like but that only became apparent maybe 10 days later and realised the problem. Second time was better again. Trickiest bit is blending in where it's shorter around the edges and around the ears but that clippers makes it hard to balls up if you're shaving all over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Out of curiosity, would you have difficulty using scissors and comb while wearing latex gloves?

Whenever I use them, I don't have any issues. When wet they are the same as holding scissors with wet hands. I make sure the glove is the correct fit and out a bit of talcum powder inside the gloves. I know of barbers who do not change the gloves after each customer. It's just for the image, not hygiene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭scwazrh

My 80 yr old father and his what’s app group friends have decided to have a beard growing competition through this and post regular pictures to their group .Never seen him as scruffy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Think just out and about most men seem to been able to source a trim at least and not a diy job so plenty of work going on dispite the barbers being shut hardly surprising as 4 months or so without a cut is not on .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

4 months or so without a cut is not on .

Not for me. I'm taking advantage of them being shut & WFH to grow the hair out & grow a full beard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's also really not that difficult for someone to cut your hair to an acceptable standard for most lads. Not barber standard obviously - but just a basic cut that gets the job done, without leaving you looking like you were attacked by a hair-eating virus.

At the moment I don't have anyone that can cut it for me so I'm just giving myself a blade 2 all over. It's actually great, takes all of 2 minutes and makes life so much easier. Once the barbers reopen I'll go back to the normal style.

Advertisement