Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Significant reduction in rents coming?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

Limited data to date but for some of the listed REITs that disclose information (e.g. IRES, Hibernia, Kennedy Wilson), on-time rent collections for residential assets have been around 97/98% for April and occupancy levels have remained around 99%, so very little impact so far it seems. Will play out over next few months I'd say if anything does start to become evident.

Kennedy Wilson don’t have anywhere near 99% occupancy! They love empty overpriced apartments. Look at Capital Dock! The Vantage in Leopardstown has 10 units listed. Irish REIT did have very low vacancy but not Kennedy Wilson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Blut2

The Economist a few days ago had an article on the troubles facing NYC recovering from Corona, it had an interesting fact:
    According to Enrico Moretti, an economist at the University of California, Berkeley, each of the “knowledge jobs” that make cities like San Francisco or New York so successful supports five service jobs, some high paying—lawyers—some much less so—baristas. If office workers stay at home, the workers who depend on them being in town have no income.

https://www.economist.com/briefing/2020/06/11/covid-19-challenges-new-yorks-future

Presumably a similar ratio would apply in Dublin to our own "knowledge jobs". With so much of Google, Facebook etc WFHing for the forseeable future that bodes ill for a lot of jobs - and renters - in the more central parts of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Smouse156 wrote: »
    Kennedy Wilson don’t have anywhere near 99% occupancy! They love empty overpriced apartments. Look at Capital Dock! The Vantage in Leopardstown has 10 units listed. Irish REIT did have very low vacancy but not Kennedy Wilson
    98.3% occupancy across its 2,080 Irish residential units as at 31 March according to its last quarterly results. Avg rent per unit of c. $2,300

98.3% occupancy across its 2,080 Irish residential units as at 31 March according to its last quarterly results. Avg rent per unit of c. $2,300

That’s completely wrong! That would suggest that they have 2044/2080 units occupied and only 36 empty! Capital Dock has over 100 empty apartments alone since it opened in 2018 and they own the entire building!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭global23214124

Is this from a REIT?

No a regular agency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

That’s completely wrong! That would suggest that they have 2044/2080 units occupied and only 36 empty! Capital Dock has over 100 empty apartments alone since it opened in 2018 and they own the entire building!

Are they lying to their shareholders?

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Are they lying to their shareholders?

Clearly! It happens, companies lie, look at wirecard yesterday! I always questioned the validity of those ridiculous occupancy numbers (99%+) which didn’t seem plausible even in a very strong demand market. There had to be some vacancy period for people leaving, buying houses, maintenance or upgrades etc.

It’s clearly some accounting fudge! Simple as! Capital Dock has over 100 vacant apartments so that’s 5% of their portfolio alone in Dublin. Perhaps because the “lights weren’t turned on” they don’t count these but the REAL vacancy rate is way higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Looked at their Q1 accounts further. Capital Dock is currently categorised outside of the 2,080 units referenced for the purposes of the 98.3% occupancy at 31 March. Still categorised as going through letting stabilisation process, so no occupancy given for the 190 units there just yet.

They own 50% of the development - AXA own other 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Clearly! It happens, companies lie, look at wirecard yesterday! I always questioned the validity of those ridiculous occupancy numbers (99%+) which didn’t seem plausible even in a very strong demand market. There had to be some vacancy period for people leaving, buying houses, maintenance or upgrades etc.

It’s clearly some accounting fudge! Simple as! Capital Dock has over 100 vacant apartments so that’s 5% of their portfolio alone in Dublin. Perhaps because the “lights weren’t turned on” they don’t count these but the REAL vacancy rate is way higher.

Report them. Serious consequences for them. And then maybe the REITS will fcuk off.

Looked at their Q1 accounts further. Capital Dock is currently categorised outside of the 2,080 units referenced for the purposes of the 98.3% occupancy at 31 March. Still categorised as going through letting stabilisation process, so no occupancy given for the 190 units there just yet.

They own 50% of the development - AXA own other 50%.

Ha stabilisation process my ass! A total fudge! Didn’t realise Axa owner half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I left a share house paying €950 in Mid March. Place is still vacant and he’s looking for €790

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Ha stabilisation process my ass! A total fudge! Didn’t realise Axa owner half

You probably shouldn’t make serious accusations when you clearly don’t have the facts to back them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Gael23 wrote: »
    I left a share house paying €950 in Mid March. Place is still vacant and he’s looking for €790

I know of someone who was struggling to fill a room in an apartment (in city centre) well before Corona struck. I suspect he would have to drop the price markedly to fill now as well. If rooms now have dropped approx 20% you are going to start to see people in house/apt shares move about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Ozark707 wrote: »
    I know of someone who was struggling to fill a room in an apartment (in city centre) well before Corona struck. I suspect he would have to drop the price markedly to fill now as well. If rooms now have dropped approx 20% you are going to start to see people in house/apt shares move about.

I would be a bit wary going into a house share under the current circumstances. Covid is pretty much gone (for now) but I’m sure people would be concerned sharing with strangers

Hubertj wrote: »
    I would be a bit wary going into a house share under the current circumstances. Covid is pretty much gone (for now) but I’m sure people would be concerned sharing with strangers

If you're moving from one houseshare to another its no difference, though. Most of the people in houseshares currently don't have the option of renting an entire place to themselves for financial reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

I suspect re falling rent prices people are still at home (with their parents or in Europe and all college students have left their properties); will be interesting to see what happens when and if these people come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

JJJackal wrote: »
    I suspect re falling rent prices people are still at home (with their parents or in Europe and all college students have left their properties); will be interesting to see what happens when and if these people come back.

Read on the newspaper today that international post-grad applications where down 10% for next September.

Tbh, I had thought it would have been much, much more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Read on the newspaper today that international post-grad applications where down 10% for next September.

10% seems quite small! I agree should be more!

JJJackal wrote: »
    10% seems quite small! I agree should be more!

Possibly still early days tough and i has yet to play out.

I have a good friend who is a lecturer in Dublin and while there was fear re; the international student cohort two months back, it seems to have died down a bit and has been replaced with cautious optimism.

A large % of post-grad courses would have had application deadlines in December 2019, or January/Feb/March of this year, for courses starting in September 2020. So applications probably aren't the best metric to use - a lot of them would have been already made pre-corona.

The real question/enlightening figures will be enrollment numbers come late August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

I think I read the same article but it also said the INS isn’t reopening until tomorrow. Ther will be a big backlog in processing visa applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭frw5

Blut2 wrote: »
    A large % of post-grad courses would have had application deadlines in December 2019, or January/Feb/March of this year, for courses starting in September 2020. So applications probably aren't the best metric to use - a lot of them would have been already made pre-corona.

The real question/enlightening figures will be enrollment numbers come late August.

Thumbs up here, absolutely correct, I would say 90% actually end up signing up for it officially by that time, a lot can go through and be accepted even in mid September.

PS on topic, can't believe there is still no news on extending rent freeze. At least till September that is.

Blut2 wrote: »

Didn't think of that, makes sense we are likely looking at pre-covid sign ups.

One would think the Universities will want to do everything they can to get these students on campus for some level of tutorials/workshops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,072 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's probably still enough to fill the same number of spots. (i.e. a slightly lower threshold for acceptance of applications)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

That's probably still enough to fill the same number of spots. (i.e. a slightly lower threshold for acceptance of applications)

https://www.thejournal.ie/international-students-blow-to-universities-5127324-Jun2020/

“At the moment it’s still very unclear,” said Paul Smith, Director of DCU’s International Office. “If you look at it from a pipeline perspective, we normally have around 2,000 – 2,500 applications for postgraduate courses but obviously the conversion, or people who actually come, is much smaller. At this point, we’re about 10% down on applications… but we’re not clear yet on the intent students have on how to progress.”

GocRh wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/international-students-blow-to-universities-5127324-Jun2020/

“At the moment it’s still very unclear,” said Paul Smith, Director of DCU’s International Office. “If you look at it from a pipeline perspective, we normally have around 2,000 – 2,500 applications for postgraduate courses but obviously the conversion, or people who actually come, is much smaller. At this point, we’re about 10% down on applications… but we’re not clear yet on the intent students have on how to progress.”

It is hard to see how international destinations for academia would have a demand this year. If a second wave was to hit in the autumn would you want to be stuck far away from home with potentially great difficulty getting home?

It is hard to see how international destinations for academia would have a demand this year. If a second wave was to hit in the autumn would you want to be stuck far away from home with potentially great difficulty getting home?

Thats not even the biggest issue. Lets say you get a bit of warning so you do manage to get home. You're now sitting at home in your parents house in a different country, having paid €8,000 or so for your student accommodation in Ireland. And you've already paid €15,000-€30,000 per year for your student fees. Neither of which universities are refunding (as is the case this semester).

Sure you might get some sort of "distance learning" maybe, but it'll come nowhere close to the normal level of learning. And you'll get none of the student social experience, teaching practice, or professional networking, that are as valuable a part of any post-grad degree as the actual learning.

It'd be a very confident (or foolish) international student to accept and pay for a post-grad course place this September, when everything is still so up in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭polaco

polaco wrote: »

It would look like we are already past 5% since Covid struck on the rental front (Dublin based figures). I would expect next few months to see a further drop and then maybe stabilisation for a while. It will be interesting to see if the new government look for any quick wins on this front as I can see an appetite for a further reduction in rents from them.

https://bl.ocks.org/pinsterdev/raw/234b4a5310a14a32e080/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭polaco

It would look like we are already past 5% since Covid struck on the rental front (Dublin based figures). I would expect next few months to see a further drop and then maybe stabilisation for a while. It will be interesting to see if the new government look for any quick wins on this front as I can see an appetite for a further reduction in rents from them.

https://bl.ocks.org/pinsterdev/raw/234b4a5310a14a32e080/

I am guessing when all those people return to offices in September and students return to college demand will go up and there will be no more reductions

Advertisement