Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

It's a metaphor. If you can't see the point he's making then that's fine.

The metaphor is wrong. Disease do stop at borders(If you enact quarantine). Its fake science that he's spreading. If it were Trump he would be lambasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

2u2me wrote: »
    The metaphor is wrong. Disease do stop at borders(If you enact quarantine). Its fake science that he's spreading. If it were Trump he would be lambasted.

It's the opposite of fake science. I'm afraid you're missing the essential point of the article but never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Well if you read the article, it's related to the drug's interaction with patients with covid-19.

Ah ok. Sorry, I didn't read it, clearly. Wasnt it used a lot in france and Spain? It was French doctors who first touted it as a cure. Could it have actually contributed to their death rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Retro.

I'm expecting him to announce "victory over covid" day to be June 8th

To be renamed "Trump victory over covid day"

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Ah ok. Sorry, I didn't read it, clearly. Wasnt it used a lot in france and Spain? It was French doctors who first touted it as a cure. Could it have actually contributed to their death rate?

Anecdotal evidence, the french study that indicated benefits was heavily disputed. A Chinese study found no benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,460 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

As part of trials of known drugs that may help (in this case it turned out it didn't). The origin of the claim was a French doctor who ran a study where everyone who took it survived by virtue of excluding the results of those who died (that doctor seems to be doubling down on stupid now and is insisting it works despite all evidence to the contrary).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You have covid

You go to an airport

You pass covid onto passengers on your flight

You land at US

Get turned away

US citizens on same flight carry covid over border

Disease does not stop at border.

You have covid

You go to an airport

You pass covid onto passengers on your flight

You land at US

Get turned away

US citizens on same flight carry covid over border

Disease does not stop at border.

You see professor moriarty. Biden spreads fake science. He was not talking in metaphor.

Disease do stop at the border Timberrrrrrrr if you quarantine everyone who enters your country for 14 days. That way it has no way of spreading into your country or at least severely limits it.

Coupled with other precautions that's how Taiwan can have as low as 7 deaths in a population of nearly 24 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

You see professor moriarty. Biden spreads fake science. He was not talking in metaphor.

Disease do stop at the border Timberrrrrrrr if you quarantine everyone who enters your country for 14 days. That way it has no way of spreading into your country or at least severely limits it.

Coupled with other precautions that's how Taiwan can have as low as 7 deaths in a population of nearly 24 million.

You realise that thousands of people cross borders illegally every day right? How do you propose to stop them spreading the virus? The Canada-US border is nearly 9,000km long for example. That's just one example of how diseases don't stop at borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Okay. He was talking metaphorically. I'm guessing you can't see that rather than won't see that. Which is fine too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is is that dangerous? What about all the people taking it for years for lupus or RA and not dying in large numbers? Or maybe they are? I await the ads from lawyers on the TV, "did you or a loved one take hydroxychloroquine and subsequently have a heart attack and/or die? Well you could get compensation"

Anyway, my state reported just 4 deaths yesterday and new hospitalizations are still trending downwards despite being open (partially) for a few weeks now. New cases are up but that can be put down to a major increase in testing and not an indication of a resurgence

Would you take Chemo to treat it?

Sure it kills cancer so its great. No side effects.

Its almost like theres different drugs for different illnesses for a reason.

You realise that thousands of people cross borders illegally every day right? How do you propose to stop them spreading the virus? The Canada-US border is nearly 9,000km long for example. That's just one example of how diseases don't stop at borders.

Most of the quarantine regulations leave it up to the person to enforce themselves. They are not literally kept in a 'quarantine prison', but told to stay at home for 14 days. It seems to work well.

Perhaps border states would be hit harder, but the same policy is being enacted between states aswell.

Realistically how do you do this? UK.is on about doing this, not a chance they can ensure anyone stays indoors for 14 days after arrival.

Also, even in quarantine they are "over the border"

Realistically how do you do this? UK.is on about doing this, not a chance they can ensure anyone stays indoors for 14 days after arrival.

It relies on people doing most of it themselves. No way we could possibly try to enforce it.

The first step is admitting that it works, the second would be convicning people to do it :D.

But like with masks in Asia I think we will eventually cop on and start accepting these new customs. Look how the world changed after 9/11.

Also, even in quarantine they are "over the border"

Plus, if they "feel they are doing whats best for themselves", they can do whatever the **** they want anyway.

It relies on people doing most of it themselves. No way we could possibly try to enforce it.

The first step is admitting that it works, the second would be convicning people to do it :D.

But like with masks in Asia I think we will eventually cop on and start accepting these new customs. Look how the world changed after 9/11.

So you agree, disease does not stop at borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Lucky the US didn't have CNN during WW2

https://twitter.com/SteveKrak/status/1265026443593109508

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

How in the world did they have any deaths if the disease didn't cross their border?

Christy42 wrote: »
    How in the world did they have any deaths if the disease didn't cross their border?
    So you agree, disease does not stop at borders.

How did we have any deaths if social distancing works?

jiFfM.jpg

jiFfM.jpg

Idiotic post is idiotic. Trump zealots are getting more desperate in their defense of him.

• Advertisement

jiFfM.jpg

It crossed into Taiwan and they dealt with it very well. It still crossed the damn border.

It crossed into Taiwan and they dealt with it very well. It still crossed the damn border.

Biden said "Diseases don't stop at borders or walls" and didn't elaborate.

It's just as ridiculous as saying "Seatbelts don't stop deaths in cars"

They stop most deaths, they don't stop all. Stopping most is still a great thing.

Look at the numbers of Taiwan and take your blinkers off. 24 million. 7 deaths.

They stop most deaths, they don't stop all. Stopping most is still a great thing.

Its a fairly common saying to be fair , used in many different cases about countries sticking together.

Great so we agree it didn't stop at the Taiwan border.

The US needed a proper response to the virus. Taiwan had an internal response. The US decided to ban Chinese people and then wait to get hit. It may have bought some time with a travel ban but it didn't use it. Taiwan did, maybe look at what they did internally. The disease obviously got into Taiwan and they stopped it from spreading too much further. That was their real victory.

It was never going to stop at a border but sure you can buy some time if you like.
    This seems to be a ridiculous thing to poking holes at given the failure of the US response.

The US needed a proper response to the virus. Taiwan had an internal response. The US decided to ban Chinese people and then wait to get hit. It may have bought some time with a travel ban but it didn't use it.

I'd agree they could have setup contact tracing and such as well would have helped enormously, but didn't. They are the richest country in the world, no excuses.

Biden though has said "Diseases don't stop at borders or walls" which is just as bad as "Disease aren't stopped by social distancing" in my eyes.

silverharp wrote: »
    Lucky the US didn't have CNN during WW2

https://twitter.com/SteveKrak/status/1265026443593109508

They cant wait for that ticker to reach 100,000. Just like a few on here.

Edit: was just watching CNN there. They had the headline "Oxford's Coronavirus vaccine has 50% of showing 'no result at all'" . Absolutely no mention of why that is, which is because the virus is disappearing too quickly to be able to do human trials. Then they had some other guy talking about how terrible that is and how people's "aortas are blowing up" (literally what he said), having strokes, permanent kidney and brain damage, and how that's "20% of cases". Absolute nonsense and designed purely to keep people scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

They cant wait for that ticker to reach 100,000. Just like a few on here

Yeah because critics of Trump must obviously revel in the deaths caused by his incompetence. Think you've managed to come up with the dumbest statement of the thread and that's quite an achievement considering the amount of horseshít that's been spouted in here.

The human capital stock is ready to get back to work

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1264996588834996226?s=19

Yeah because critics of Trump must obviously revel in the deaths caused by his incompetence. Think you've managed to come up with the dumbest statement of the thread and that's quite an achievement considering the amount of horseshít that's been spouted in here.

I'm a critic of trump ffs. Doesn't mean I can't comment on CNN and their blantant fear mongering.

And yeah, some people here have been hoping america goes to **** and predicting its downfall for the whole thread along with hundreds of thousands of deaths. Still hasn't happened of course but its all there to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I'm a critic of trump ffs. Doesn't mean I can't comment on CNN and their blantant fear mongering.

And yeah, some people here have been hoping america goes to **** and predicting its downfall for the whole thread along with hundreds of thousands of deaths. Still hasn't happened of course but its all there to read.

I doubt many or hoping for the fall if the US, most of us grew up with the idea that US was great and the land if opportunity.

But, Trump and his supporters think the US is a disaster, hence the calls to MAGA. It is Trump and his supporters that continually call out how terrible the US is.

Apparently, US cities are in chaos, the FBI and CIA are corrupt, the DNC control a shadowy deep state intent on denying people their rights, the southern border is a war zone, the MSM is a corrupt politically motivated enemy of the people, scientists are all working off an agenda to enslave the public and mass shootings are just one of things that happens in a free country.

So far from others wishing for the destruction of the US, Trump and his supporters frevreently believe that the US is in chaos.

Advertisement