Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Problems with garage sale

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Iodine1

con747 wrote: »
    Your rights when you buy from a dealer https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/cars/your-rights-if-things-go-wrong/
    When you buy from a dealer, the car should be:

Of merchantable quality – it should be of reasonable, acceptable quality given the age and history of the car
    Fit for the purpose intended and roadworthy
    As described – it should match the description given verbally or in an advertisement.

I would be looking for a refund.

I think you have no hope. At €1200, the age, and the car was driving and so on they could argue that it met those conditions. And as I said I think you'll find when you head towards the law and courts, the company will be in rented premises with no assets, and most likely close, only to reopen the following morning under a different spelling of the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭User1998

I agree that courts always seem to side with dealers when it comes to stuff like this, even when cars have been found to be clocked they still seem to get away with it, but a decent sized business is probably not going to close and open under a new name for the sake of an unlikely €1,000 payment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭con747

Iodine1 wrote: »
    I think you have no hope. At €1200, the age, and the car was driving and so on they could argue that it met those conditions. And as I said I think you'll find when you head towards the law and courts, the company will be in rented premises with no assets, and most likely close, only to reopen the following morning under a different spelling of the name.

I know he has virtually no hope of coming out of this on the right side, I was just making sure he knows the law as he seems to think he is not entitled to a refund which is not correct. Getting it is the problem.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

In all honesty, for €1,200 I'm surprised they're entertaining you at all. And I'm not trying to be funny when I say that, I genuinely am surprised they didn't give you the "trade sale" spiel and tell you not to come back no matter what happens. It couldn't possibly be worth their while selling the car if they also have to deal with fixing everything that goes wrong on it, too, on a 15 year old car with, what €500 worth of profit at best?

Sounds like they got lumbered with the car, OP, and were probably delighted when you said you'd take it off their hands. Frustrating as it is, at least they're entertaining you and making some effort with it, rather than just ignoring you. Hopefully they'll get it sorted for you, but do beware, at that price point, they'll be cutting every corner possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Ok so I’ve decided to name the garage in question as it’s been nearly 4 weeks. I understand the times we are in that there are problems but this is gone beyond a joke.

My brother bought a car similar to the one I bought from these guys. The car is still under warranty and there was a problem with something in it so he brought it back to them. They checked what was wrong and a couple of hours later they said it’s the fan belt and one will be coming in the morning and it will be replaced and ready to go. The reason I’m telling this story is because I sent the owner of the garage a message this morning and he told me he can’t get the part as nowhere is delivering. He also said the garage is closed because the police kept turning him around when their Facebook page is constantly being updated daily with cars for sale with the garage “open by appointment only”.

I sent the owner back a message informing of this and he’s blocked me on WhatsApp and also on messenger so I cannot contact him. He also told me to contact him this week which makes it even more bizarre!

The garage is <snip>. I would advise everybody to stay away from these guys when buying a car!

"Naming and shaming" is not permitted OP, please don't do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I think at this stage you just have to take you medicine and learn a lesson.

You test drove the car and warning lights came on …...and you still bought it!!! Jesus Christ like, if ever there was a bad omen when test driving a car! who does that?

I am also confused that you say you are in some sort of financial trouble and yet you go out and buy a BMW, which is old and going to be trouble and big expense to keep running. Silly idea.
    If you are after cheap, realiable motoring you should be buying a basic specced petrol Fiesta, Nissan Tiida or Corolla or Auris. Not spent high end cars that are almost universally reliability nightmares when they are older.

You've made your own bed here. Suffer the consequences and suck it up.

You've made your own bed here. Suffer the consequences and suck it up.

YEah, but at the moment he's without even the piece of sh1t he bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Augeo wrote: »
    YEah, but at the moment he's without even the piece of sh1t he bought.

That in itself is actually saving money.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

Bricriu wrote: »
    Absolutely true.
    SIMI is not worth a fig to the consumer. I had to deal with them and they were worthless.
    It was set up to give the semblance of helping the consumer with problems with the motor industry.
    Same with all the Ombudmans - Insurance, etc. etc. - all a huge cod.
    Most people won't realise this until they come to rely on these straw organisations.

Different folks different strokes, worked fine for me , maybe I was just lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Just to let you guys know it’s been 8 weeks now since I’ve bought the car and I still haven’t received it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Just to let you guys know it’s been 8 weeks now since I’ve bought the car and I still haven’t received it!

Bloody hell man, that's ****ed up, did you receive any contact at all from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Doyler92 wrote: »

I’d say this will be a go around to collect it (wheel it out the gate) job. A 15 year old knackered bmw (they’re rubbish unless you know the cars history)- they’re just not going to repair it. If you get it fixed on the cheap elsewhere or just sell it off for parts/scrap is about all you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Small claims court is your only hope OP. Getting a judgement against the dealers will be easy. Getting the money not so much..

Advertisement