Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problems with garage sale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No offence intended. But warning lights come on while test driving a notoriously problematic of its era and expensive to fix knackered old BMW. That was your warning signal. Should definitely be a case of caveat emptor and fair play to the garage for trying to sort

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

It doesn’t sound like they are genuinely trying to sort it though.

The only car I’ve ever returned was a 532i that kept spitting oil all over the engine.

I reckon it had over heated at some point and it was never going to be right.

Gave them a few chances to sort it before getting 90% of my cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Exactly. I don’t think they are genuinely fixing the problem of the engine light coming on when driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

Have you asked for your money back?

ratracer wrote: »
    Have you asked for your money back?

Yes around 4 or 5 times and they keep telling me I’m not getting my money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Yes around 4 or 5 times and they keep telling me I’m not getting my money back.
    Try to complain to Small Claims Court as they sold you faulty car to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

I feel you man, you should have done a lot of research before spending your hard earned money.

Did you not glance through the bangermonics section in here? Or asked for advice before you bought the car?

Do you really need a car badly? Why did you even buy a car during this time? Should have waited man til this whole restriction over, car prices will go down and would have made a bargain.

You should have bought something small like a fiesta or clio.

Ask them to give you a voucher or another car while threatening them with small claim court.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Ask them to give you a voucher.

That's not a great idea. At least with the BMW you have the car in your possession. A voucher is essentially worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

I'm guessing it's a 520d or 320d, awful engines with well known issues. Get out of the deal anyway you can because you will never be able to sell it on, unless you find another you of course.
    2005 320d or 520d would be an M47 engine which are very reliable. Neither of which have spark plugs so the OPs car is petrol.

Regardless of this, car sounds like an absolute lemon and I wouldn't trust any dealer that lets a car out like that in the first place.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    That's not a great idea. At least with the BMW you have the car in your possession. A voucher is essentially worthless.
    You can use the voucher to buy another car "another brand" from the same garage, an old BMW is expensive car to maintain

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Honestly who buys a 15 year old car from a dealership????

I'm actually stumped!!!

It's an old car, well used, not worth paying big money on an old car....

If you want something cheap and that old go for an avensis or corolla or similar.

I did admit I made a hasty decision and the wrong decision but that doesn’t change the situation.

It’s been exactly 3 weeks now since I bought the car and still have driven it for only 20 minutes...

Garage probably fooked now anyway, they'll likely not be selling much for the foreseeable. Fingers crossed they sort it or if not it's not too much to get sorted elsewhere.

Doyler92 wrote: »
    I did admit I made a hasty decision and the wrong decision but that doesn’t change the situation.
    If I had to pay for all the mistakes I made I would be dead long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I had a 525i up until a few months ago and like yours, the rocker cover gasket went. I replaced it myself but from my research in doing so, most people recommended also changing the oil filter housing gaskets and valvetronic gaskets at the same time. Also, depending on the engine, when you change the rocker cover gasket, you have to change the bolts holding it on as they are single use only.

Next time you are talking to the garage it might be worth mentioning this to them.

At this stage I would nearly want everything in writing from them because they sound dodgy so maybe an email would be better if possible, in case you want to take it to court at any stage.

If they do manage to fix everything I would get rid of it as soon as possible.Either trade it in or do a private deal.

It might be tempting to get as much out of your warranty as possible but I don't think I could ever trust it again.

Even if you got the exact same car it might be worth it as now you know all the questions to ask and what to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

How much was the car?
    Just wondering the amount of work going into it must be close to the price by now

Yes I’m going to try get everything in writing from now on.

I payed €1,200 for it and I still have this niggling feeling that they are not doing any work on it at all. They are not even a member of SIMI which to me is a bad sign straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Being a member of the SIMI means nothing for the consumer, they are just a lobby group made up of member dealers.

Unfortunately when buying at this end of the market from dealers there is a high risk in what you are buying as well as who you are buying from. Dealers selling €1200 cars are not going to spend much money on repairing them and the warranties that come with them can be practically worthless. Chances are that car was passed down through the trade as a cast off and lemon, the dealer most likely doesn't know what's wrong with it and ain't going to spend much time or money to fix it.

I agree that they probably won’t spend much money to fix it but they have had it over 3 weeks now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Lave it to them.... Get your few pound back and have a look on donedeal for something else.

No way will that shed be fixed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Iodine1

At this end of the market, there are no guarantees, and no room for spending on repairs. They are not spending on this car so probably nothing happening. But you won't get any money back, people who sell in this market are well used to complaints, and you are stuck with the car. Going legal will probably be more money lost, they'll close the company a week before the case. As above flog the car and try again. Old clapped out bmw are only as good as a clapped out Lada, the only value is the look of it outside the door. Sorry for my negativity, and I wish you better look next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Honestly who buys a 15 year old car from a dealership????

I'm actually stumped!!!

It's an old car, well used, not worth paying big money on an old car....

If you want something cheap and that old go for an avensis or corolla or similar.

Skoda fabia belt driven 1.2 under reliable also

I remember when i bought my ford fiesta of donedeal, I went to the garda station and asked if they can do a background check of the car reg number, and they told me "Sorry but no, it really is a gamble at this point"

FrankC21 wrote: »
    I remember when i bought my ford fiesta of donedeal, I went to the garda station and asked if they can do a background check of the car reg number, and they told me "Sorry but no, it really is a gamble at this point"

Wtf??? That's not what Gardai are for...

You do a check online or call likes of motorcheck etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

bazz26 wrote: »
    Being a member of the SIMI means nothing for the consumer, they are just a lobby group made up of member dealers.

Unfortunately when buying at this end of the market from dealers there is a high risk in what you are buying as well as who you are buying from. Dealers selling €1200 cars are not going to spend much money on repairing them and the warranties that come with them can be practically worthless. Chances are that car was passed down through the trade as a cast off and lemon, the dealer most likely doesn't know what's wrong with it and ain't going to spend much time or money to fix it.

SIMI helped me in the past

Wtf??? That's not what Gardai are for...

You do a check online or call likes of motorcheck etc....

Hehehe, I didn't know at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭con747

Your rights when you buy from a dealer https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/cars/your-rights-if-things-go-wrong/
    When you buy from a dealer, the car should be:

Of merchantable quality – it should be of reasonable, acceptable quality given the age and history of the car
    Fit for the purpose intended and roadworthy
    As described – it should match the description given verbally or in an advertisement.

I would be looking for a refund.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Bricriu

bazz26 wrote: »

Absolutely true.
    SIMI is not worth a fig to the consumer. I had to deal with them and they were worthless.
    It was set up to give the semblance of helping the consumer with problems with the motor industry.
    Same with all the Ombudmans - Insurance, etc. etc. - all a huge cod.
    Most people won't realise this until they come to rely on these straw organisations.

Advertisement