Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E Class corroded subframe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭User1998

Why would they service the car? If you wanted a quick service you could have easily bought a subframe yourself and got it fitted within a couple of days elsewhere. You got a free subframe on an 11 year old car. Shouldn’t be complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

because of this issue subframes are like gold dust. Where would you get one? because I sure as hell can’t find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Core6

Euro subframes supply them.

Here is their listing on Donedeal:-

https://www.donedeal.ie/carparts-for-sale/new-mercedes-e-class-rear-subframe/31709911

There is still the fitting cost, of course.

Mercedes fitted new rear subframes on two of my cars. It was slow as I had to wait for the subframes to arrive but still it was completely free.

Both cars were 12 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,263 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

To be honest, I would expect Mercedes to at least return any car leaving the workshop washed specially after a car is sitting for months. To not do that is just poor customer service. For mercedes to be doing these repairs free is great and they could have the owners driving out of the garage feeling a million dollars with a free repair and a nice clean car. I guarantee each of those customers would say they will buy mercedes for ever.

To throw you the keys of a dirty car is just petty and takes the shine off the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Thats a bit internet now isint it? Who in the real world is going to buy a subframe from ebay for a 15k plus Merc and get it DIY fitted when there is a free dealer replacement? Think about future sale, protecting the value of an asset...

The poster is correct, a marquee brand should be showing higher standards of customer service.

First of all, none of the cars getting subframe work at worth €15k+. The majority of them are worth about €5k at this stage, some of the cars are up to 16 years old.

Secondly, future re sale? protecting the value of an asset? Buying parts online or from a motor factors and having an independent mechanic fit them will have no effect on resale value. Its normal practice. We are talking about 10 year old cars here, not brand new ones.

And lastly, if you want a quick turnaround you have the option of buying the part yourself and getting it fitted within a few days. If you want it for free you’ll have to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

If you can get me a good condition 2013 E class for 5k ill bite your hand off. If im in the market for a car like that and the subframe is replaced with an ebay part and an independent mechanic im not going to put it at a level level as a car with one replaced and stood over by a main dealer. You also need to understand that your typical 10 year old E class driver is not an enthusiast who would be happy to look for left field solutions for parts and service.

its not unreasonable to expect MB to have a faster turnaround that 4 months for a job like this and treat customers to a higher standard, the dealership get paid for this work even if its not by the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Squatman

yea, and a good rimming would go a long way too

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭GSBellew

When you are selling cars that are consistently 10 plus times the value of the ones coming in for a warranty repair they feel like a bit of an inconvenience, should be washed though, although depends on how it was arriving in though.

The subframe thing is strange, its apparently widespread but we put hundreds of 212 Limo's and Hearses onto the market & I have only heard of one subframe issue, have never seen a rusty subframe on a trade in either and it is something I keep an eye out for on ours and competitors ones.

• Advertisement

Ya an inconvenience but how hard is it to have the car washed. Its just piss poor to have a car sit 4 months and let a customer drive off in it. It would be rather shed like I'd imagine.

I don't see any issue with the ebay subframe. I'd certainly.be taking that option if faced with a 4 month mercedes repair.

At the age of these cars, the manufacturer of the part or who fitted it won't come into the equation as long as it looks correct and free from rot on inspection.

Strange that you.are not seeing the issue. 2 members of extended family have these. Years 2010 and 2011 and both have had fail dangerous at nct for subframe basically hanging on by a thread. The 2011 car also has had wishbones/ controls arms fail. I have not seen exactly what the issue was but I'm told sudden collapse due to rust.

I agree, should be washed.

I'd rather the OE subframe, the new one is revised in terms of treatment so should last longer, but if I was looking at a 13 year old car I wouldn't be asking who made the subframe, same as you do not ask about suspension arms etc.

In relation to getting it done under warranty, I'm told that the bottleneck is capacity at the dealer for fitting, it may be quicker going to a smaller country based dealer rather than a busy city one.

The mercedes dealers in the west are taking a long time anyway. At this stage, it's likely policy from mercedes themselves to try to push some towards doing their own repair yet being able to say mercedes are doing the repair free.

for reference, in galway its a 7 month process. I'm in month 4 and told it will be march

also, the spares guy is saying that Mercedes are drip feeding the parts in. he reckons there's a massive global demand for the part, and Ireland is small fry

this one is great value. I'm sure there is intergalactic mileage and its next owner will be its last.....

I'm surprised there are classes that cheap. is that the lower 1% do you think?

That one has 700k k km’s on the clock, €5k is definitely the lower end of the market

Lies, all lies, there is a delay on parts, but not to that extent, biggest delay is dealers fitting the job into their schedule as it is a full day, they get a flat rate for doing it and it is pushed down the schedule because its not worthwhile. I would bet that your subframe is sitting in their store already.

Best bet for anyone is to go to a dealer in a smaller area with less demand for day to day servicing they should be able to do it quicker.

When we had the customer looking to get it I was able to get a subframe in a few days, but it had to be fitted by a dealer to get it under warranty and that was the issue / delay.

• Advertisement

was that subframe thru mercedes or a spurious part? I'm surprised if there's that much demand that the change over process isn't faster than 1 full day. maybe its a job they give the apprentice

FWIW Limerick mercedes also told me that they were 6 months behind and waiting for parts

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭teach nua

I have 2012 E350. Passed NCT last January this year.

Had a chance to take some photos (attached) of the subframe problem areas recently when she on a lift. It is starting to rust and has some small pinholes.

Spoke to service dept. at local MB dealer about the subframe replacement under their goodwill gesture. They explained how the process worked and that ultimately MB would decide to replace it or not, after local dealer provides them with an inspection report. They said the case for replacement would be stronger if it had NCT fail but they have accepted cars for replacement with current NCTs. They also explained 3/4 month wait for the part.

I'm thinking now would be a good time if they accept frame needs replacing as my car would not be off the road while waiting for part whereas if I wait until it fails an NCT, she is off the road for months. The other thing I was told is that the initial inspection costs €160 which is not refunded if MB don't accept a replacement is required.

In everyones experience of this issue, do you think the corrosion is bad enough that MB would replace?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭teach nua

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

I asked them how many cars dd they inspect and decide didn’t need the work. The answer I got was zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The experience?

2010 Mercs were in the middle of the Chrysler sh1tbox era. To be honest, if I were getting a subframe sorted on goodwill, I'd thank my lucky stars and run.

The Mercedes brand and its dealers of 2024, are not a patch on what they would have been in 1984-94.

Mercedes are no longer a peerless brand of quality and longevity. They are a volume seller that manufacture all over the World, with all the issues that those aspects bring.

I'm aware of the many issues with modern day mercedes.

My point was that someone driving a 12 to 14 year old mercedes getting a free repair at the main dealer is hardto complain about even if its a common fault. If given the full customer service, free coffee, nice clean car brought around the front etc, that person is likely to come away thinking that for all their faults, it's a quality brand with great customer service.

To be thrown the keys and let drive off in a dirty car makes you feel like a second class customer and is just silly on mercedes behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kilters

Had my rear subframe replaced recently. Failed on 8th December, got it into an MB dealership for assessment on 18th January. Parts arrived and car fixed by 28th February. Took a couple of days.

I had some other minor items done as well which gave me a bill of 900 euro. I suspect my extra work pushed me up the queue a bit.

They gave the car back to me nice and shiny and was overall a pleasant experience with everything agreed up front. Have a nice solid E Class once again.

• Advertisement

Read again. They got other work done at the same time.

Advertisement