Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E Class corroded subframe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

Hi wordle, i have a 2008 C180 with rear subframe corrosion and lower control arm bracket has more or less sheared off! what should i say to the MB dealer my nearest dealer is Tom Murphy waterford city. Do i just ring and ask for the service manager and explain the situation and ask for an inspection or do i mention its a know fault?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Core6

I suggest that you ring the service dept and explain your position.

They will inspect your car and approach MB to see if they will fund the subframe replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

thanks i rang Mercedes and the inspection is booked in for roughly 3 weeks time, i was told i may have to pay for "nuts and bolts" approx €150/300 which is understandable. i think it depends if they have to be cut off or break upon removal. he said to expect approx 2 months between the parts lead time and actual repair. not great i will probably need to buy a runaround or else i might buy an upgrade and sell the mercedes after the repair!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 remuspur

Hi. Did you have full history with your car? My e class w212 just fail this week for subframe corrosion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

My car had a service history, but not all of them were with main dealers. I left all service receipts in the car when I dropped it in for assessment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I was originally told the 2 months thing as well, but it was actually only a week in the end. Had to go to a different dealer, as the Mercedes dealer it was bought from wanted a few hundred euro to put it up on the lift just to look at it. I think it was just a way for them to get out of doing the work, as they knew I'd go somewhere else.

Had to pay for some extra work that wasn't covered. Brake lines I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BlackW212

Just a quick question please.

i have the same problem broken subframe that's going to be repaired by Mercedes thankfully.

its now being 3 weeks and still waiting for the call to bring it in.

anyone know what's the waiting time being on avrage?

Do you know if they are waiting for the subframe to arrive from Mercedes?

Mine took 2 months but about 7 weeks of that was waiting for the part to arrive.

I suggest that you ring them to get an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I've seen a few wait 4 or 5 weeks but very happy with service once they got in.

I was probably unlucky having to wait that long. I left the car with them for that time as I wasn't going to drive it anyway.

I agree about being very happy with the service and communication.

• Advertisement

thanks for you update.

yes i believe its waiting on the subframe the time frame seems very long :-(

thank you. Im 3 weeks in now so hopefully it will be soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mergirl

My subframe was discovered to have snapped when getting new tyres in preparation for NCT. That was 1st April. Got a date for inspection for 14th June. I was told later that evening by MSL in Little Island that Mercedes would cover the cost but will still have to wait another 7/8 weeks. Had to have ot towed to MSL and the guy who drove the truck had the same thing happen to him....bit of a joke at this stage.

They really should have recalled all these as it's a safety issue.

At least they are doing them free.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Markiemarkso

@pcardin ; @aktas

Hi guys, can you tell me where you got yours sone, m local dealer just said, not on recall list so nothing they can do.

Thanks

Annesley Williams did the job for me. Car was bought from Bradys, but they didn't want to know, and wanted to charge a fortune just to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Misha 55

Another one 10 years old. Was driving around the start of the month and was hearing a bad crunch noise when going over ramps and squeaky noise when applying the breaks. Dropped it off to the local mechanic who explained about the subframe. Rang the local Mercedes dealer and explained about the subframe they didn't sound surprised when I explained about the subframe, told me to drop it in around the middle of August for a diagnostic test and explained how they would take pictures etc and send the results to Germany and they would decide whether or not to fix it free of charge as a goodwill gesture.

Screenshot_20230710_193736_Video Player.jpg

Uploaded 8:33 pm574.98 KB

Screenshot_20230710_193731_Video Player.jpg

Uploaded 8:33 pm573.51 KB

Screenshot_20230710_193615_Gallery.jpg

Uploaded 8:33 pm578.43 KB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

No photos showing for me. But would be very interested in seeing them.

"goodwill gesture" seems like a term for manufacturing fault, without admitting such.

I'll try uploading photos again.

• Advertisement

Yes it's crazy how they haven't been recalled there death traps.

The mechanic told me mine was the third one in as many weeks and one was a 2016 veered straight across the road was a miracle there was no on coming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭pcardin

it was on Mercedes recall list in UK (strangely not for Ireland) and I pushed on that as well as fact that car did not have a single rust point anywhere else on body but subframe was crisp as cracker, clearly indicating it was a manufacturing dodo and that Mercedes is positioning their cars as luxury and pricing as such, thus absolutely not acceptable. Mine was bought from MSL, was brought to them, they got approval from Mercedes and replaced with brand new one as a "goodwill gesture" lol. Surprised Mercedes has not been sued for such a lousy approach to such serious fault.

What's the story with these in America I wonder. Probably not rotting as fast in most states due to climate but I'd bet they were recalled because the American would sue their asses off.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

My 131 c series had a ‘failed dangerous’ NCT June 28th. Earliest inspection date by local MB garage was 4 weeks later. I drove it carefully in this time as only doing short runs really but could hear creaks and groans getting progressively worse.

July 24th, inspection, They told me they would likely hear back from MB in 2 days. I left the car with them so I’m relying on family to lend me their cars. The garage didn’t ring me, I called them today (1 week later) and they said MB are covering it for ‘goodwill’ but they can’t give a timeline. “It will come when it comes” and they have the part ordered.

I was in utter shock when I got the NCT result and super stressed by it all. It was helpful and reassuring reading others stories here, so adding mine too.

A replacement car would have gone a long way, resulted in a loyal customer and an advocate for their brand! I don’t expect to ever buy a MB again in my lifetime and I will be telling everyone who will listen. Causing such stress is difficult to forgive. We all rely on our cars, the fault is MB, not mine but I am massively inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭User1998

I really don’t understand why people get so upset about their 10+ year old cars having rust issues. Mercedes are fixing cars for free and people still complain.

Theres plenty of other cars that get rust issues after 10 years that the manufacturer wouldn’t even think about covering for free.

It's a known manufacturing defect, that's a safety issue. It's not a standard rust problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's not the 1970s any more. A ten year old car having serious structural rust is a safety issue and in no way acceptable, doesn't matter what make it is.

These cars should all have been recalled instead of just being allowed to fail in service and then leave the owners hoping to be 'looked after'. Toyota spent a fortune recalling 15-20 year old cars over the airbag issue which wasn't even their fault.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Squatman

was onto MB today for this issue. said they will inspect, but that there is a 6 month backlog owed to the number of people waiting for the same replacement due to this issue :) - as other posters have said is a good will gesture.. definitely a scandal waiting to be uncovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kilters

Hi,

I've just had the NCT shock on what I thought was a perfectly ok 131 W212.

Did you have any luck with MB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

I got my car back the end of November after it sitting in the dealership waiting on the subframe for 4 months. It was a really stressful time. When they phoned to say it was ready I started crying out of pure relief, I didn’t really appreciate the stress it put me under. I hate MB and their customer service is atrocious. They didn’t service the car or even give it a wipe with a rag. Diagnostics were not set up correctly either. I will never buy MB again that’s for sure

Advertisement