Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Hospitals owned by the Rich

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

smurgen wrote: »
    Pascal Donohue saying the Covid bill up to 20bn now.we can assume from this O'Brien and his ilk got their blank cheque?

Where did you get that from that article?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

gary550 wrote: »
    Where did you get that from that article?

I’m saying we’re being readied for a shafting.pascal is telling us of the dire financial consequences early hours. It’s setting expectations low so when it becomes a car crash because of their mismanagement and sweat heart deals with the likes of DOB they can still say it wasn’t as bad as what they expected. Expectations management! It’s the trump playbook they’re copying. Like the other day when he said 200k deaths compared to the 2.2 million at the upper scale. Completely cynical behaviour from “leaders”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

I’m saying we’re being readied for a shafting.pascal is telling us of the dire financial consequences early hours. It’s setting expectations low so when it becomes a car crash because of their mismanagement and sweat heart deals with the likes of DOB they can still say it wasn’t as bad as what they expected. Expectations management! It’s the trump playbook they’re copying. Like the other day when he said 200k deaths compared to the 2.2 million at the upper scale. Completely cynical behaviour from “leaders”.

Nothing cynical there. The 2.2 million figure is based on no restrictions being brought in. And the whole World will be taking a shafting due to the recession we're entering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Pascal Donohue saying the Covid bill up to 20bn now.we can assume from this O'Brien and his ilk got their blank cheque?

The article says

The Minister for Finance told reporters on Thursday that a Central Bank estimate for €8bn of extra spending this year on measures linked to the outbreak will “definitely be in the vicinity of a figure like that, potentially higher the longer this public health emergency continues for and how quickly the public health guidance changes”.
    And he said the full financial hit will be more than double that as income tax, Vat and other tax headings shrink even faster than spending rises.
    “I should indicate though that the tax revenue that will be foregone as a result of economic activity going down is likely to be ahead of that (€8bn) figure and the cumulative cost of where we will be will be high but it is going t be completely by how long this phase of the public health emergency goes on.”

There is also completely no reference to Denis O'Brien.

Where did you get €20 billion from?

• Advertisement

Sexual innuendo, political name dropping bordering on familiarisation, metaphorical malapropisms, inconclusive subjective meandering hogwash.

Buffoonery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Sexual innuendo, political name dropping bordering on familiarisation, metaphorical malapropisms, inconclusive subjective meandering hogwash.

Buffoonery.

Wait til the Sunday for the Indo .Sounds more like the type of safe space you're after.

Wait til the Sunday for the Indo .Sounds more like the type of safe space you're after.

Weally?

What does reading sound like?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Here's my suggestion for healthcare.

Leave the provision to a multitude of operators: State + church/religious + for-profit, etc.

Let the State organise it such that 100% of the pop have access.

Money should not be able to buy faster access to care.

Now, how is this to be organised?

Either, 100% of the pop have insurance, so the division between public and private patient disappears.

Every GP / consultant / hosp wants to treat you, as you are insured, and they earn revenue.

Or, we move to a NHS style tax-funded Slaintecare, where the HSE sets targets for much shorter waiting times, and uses whatever operators/providers to achieve these outcomes.

That may mean the HSE contracting with for-profit providers.

If you want to pay cash/insurance for a better hosp room, yes ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

The M50 is a 'private' road. It was funded by business so there is a toll. Works fine.
    The M50 is bad example.

It cost NTR (National Toll Roads) €58m to build the M50 West-Link

And then the State (National Roads Authority) has made a agreement of payments of €50 million per annum to NTR from August 2008 until March 2020

• Advertisement

KyussB wrote: »
    The private health insurers are stealing by taking money without providing the advertised service during the coronavirus - and the government would be taking that money and providing the service instead - pretty simple.

Private health insurance pays for private hospitals - so if the government take over the private hospitals, they take over the funding of them, too. You do realize the government is critically short of money, right?

Are you one of the 'taxes is stealing' nuts? The law defines what is and isn't stealing - and the government writes the law.

I already pay taxes just like everyone else which are spent on the state health service. The monies I pay to private health insurance are on top of the taxes I pay (and I pay extra taxes considering there is tax on the payments made to the private health insurance company).

The private health insurance companies aren't stealing anything from me because I don't need their service right now. My agent has already said that my payments are being put into a fund against treatments after the crisis has finished. So, your idea of stealing is rather.. selective.

Nope. I feel that reasonable taxation is needed. Double taxation isn't. I should be covered under the State system because I pay my taxes.. You're seeking to justify the government both taking my taxation, and also taking the established funds...

It's unreasonable.. it's stealing.. And I, like many others, would fight against it. It would actually be worth it (considering what's currently in my insurance coverage) to fight the government on this. What's next? The government needs money, so they'll take my life insurance? My pensions? Where does it stop?

Nah. You're proposing open pandora's box. The government can find other ways to generate an income.. perhaps cutting wastage that already exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

They refund you for the period you aren't covered, either by directly refunding your money, or by taking it off next years premium - and refunding directly if you cancel before next year. That or your paying for a service they aren't providing during a significant period - which amounts to stealing.

Stealing is defined by the law, the government writes the law - if they pass a law taking over the health insurance funds, for emergency funding - it's not stealing.

Were you asleep during the last crisis? The government did raid pensions. It wasn't stealing.

They refund you for the period you aren't covered, either by directly refunding your money, or by taking it off next years premium - and refunding directly if you cancel before next year. That or your paying for a service they aren't providing during a significant period - which amounts to stealing.

Only if you're unwilling to negotiate. Which anyone dealing with an agent, or account manager, will be able to do.

Anyway, my particular insurance option pools into a fund, which the company takes a percentage from each year. If I don't avail of any services from them, the majority of my monies are carried over to next year, which offsets a portion of what they take out. You do realise that customers can negotiate their agreements rather than automatically accepting a standard plan?
    Stealing is defined by the law, the government writes the law - if they pass a law taking over the health insurance funds, for emergency funding - it's not stealing.

Nope. The government is not the law. At least not in western nations.

Any proposal to pass such a law would need to be approved by various organisations... and if they did pass such a law, it could be appealed by both the insurance companies. An appeal that would tie up the legal change for months, if not years.

We don't live in a police state. Well, you don't. I do. Trust me, you wouldn't be wanting this to happen in Ireland, if you understood what it entailed.
    Were you asleep during the last crisis? The government did raid pensions. It wasn't stealing.

Yes, it was stealing. It was wrong then, and it's wrong now. Which is why FF should have been broken as a party, and their members cast into the sea. Just because a government decides something, doesn't mean that it's moral or just.

I'm beginning to see why Nazism was raised earlier. You really do have some very totalitarian biases.

If they're taking peoples money without providing the advertised service - except for the few that negotiate with them - that's stealing.

Nobody cares what you think is moral or just - you're fine with health insurance funds stealing money... - if enough of the public and legislature think it's morally just and not stealing, to follow up nationalization of private hospitals, with nationalization of the insurance funds which pay for them - then you have no recourse, tough shit.

Some people seem to think "anything I feel is unfair is NAZISM!!!!" - it's just toys out of the pram whinging.

If they're taking peoples money without providing the advertised service - except for the few that negotiate with them - that's stealing.

Nobody cares what you think is moral or just - you're fine with health insurance funds stealing money... - if enough of the public and legislature think it's morally just and not stealing, to follow up nationalization of private hospitals, with nationalization of the insurance funds which pay for them - then you have no recourse, tough shit.

Some people seem to think "anything I feel is unfair is NAZISM!!!!" - it's just toys out of the pram whinging.

@ KyussB - I just wanted to put my cards on the table and let you know that I decided about 48hrs ago that you don't have a clue what you are talking about. I didn't want to ignore you because I quite like people and while I have not agreed with anything you have said, I decided to at least read some of your tripe in the hope that you come around to at least making sense. You are not there yet.

I am trying. But some of your posts are lacking rationality. If you are a genuine left thinking person I have no problem with that, I could discuss it with you all night. In fact if you are a Nazi I can talk about that too. But please back up what you're waffling about with some sort of rationality, it helps everyone involved. Otherwise no one respects what you are posting - it is a load of crap at the best of times - but without it being plausible no one is going to respect what you are saying.

No one who is paying private healthcare is annoyed that their health cover has been compromised during this crisis. Generally people have compassion, that includes people with health plans and the super rich.

How generous of you...When you throw around "NAZI!!!", "COMMUNIST!!!" with abandon - nobody (who doesn't tend to do the same) is going to take you as sincere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

How much a day will Larry Goodman and Denis O brien make out of the whole Covid Hospital scheme ? Should the country be told ?

Both of the mean have a number off Billion in assets , are they giving hospitals at a reasonable rate or have they the country over a barrel ? Simon Coveney been married to Larry Goldman’s niece is surely a conflict of interest .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Griselda

LuasSimon wrote: »
    How much a day will Larry Goodman and Denis O brien make out of the whole Covid Hospital scheme ? Should the country be told ?

Owner of Zara clothes brand gave 63 million quid to the Spanish for ventilators. Have we seen similar altruism in EIRE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Griselda wrote: »
    Owner of Zara clothes brand gave 63 million quid to the Spanish for ventilators. Have we seen similar altruism in EIRE.

Not a hope only take more off the people through the Fine Gael government contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Both of the mean have a number off Billion in assets , are they giving hospitals at a reasonable rate or have they the country over a barrel ? Simon Coveney been married to Larry Goldman’s niece is surely a conflict of interest .

Out of curiosity are they the only two wealthy people you know of cause you haven't mentioned anyone else? :confused:

Shock awe, an affluent government minister is married to someone from another affluent background :eek: His brother runs a billion euro company and his father was a developer. Guilty by association I suppose? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

gary550 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity are they the only two wealthy people you know of cause you haven't mentioned anyone else? :confused:

Shock awe, an affluent government minister is married to someone from another affluent background :eek: His brother runs a billion euro company and his father was a developer. Guilty by association I suppose? :rolleyes:

BTW this allegation that Coveney is married to a Goodman is totally on true. Coveney sent out a tweet to dismiss it a few months back. He is from a famous and wealthy family but not connected to the Goodmans in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    @ KyussB - I just wanted to put my cards on the table and let you know that I decided about 48hrs ago that you don't have a clue what you are talking about. I didn't want to ignore you because I quite like people and while I have not agreed with anything you have said, I decided to at least read some of your tripe in the hope that you come around to at least making sense. You are not there yet.

I am trying. But some of your posts are lacking rationality. If you are a genuine left thinking person I have no problem with that, I could discuss it with you all night. In fact if you are a Nazi I can talk about that too. But please back up what you're waffling about with some sort of rationality, it helps everyone involved. Otherwise no one respects what you are posting - it is a load of crap at the best of times - but without it being plausible no one is going to respect what you are saying.

No one who is paying private healthcare is annoyed that their health cover has been compromised during this crisis. Generally people have compassion, that includes people with health plans and the super rich.

Such arrogance

Geuze wrote: »
    Here's my suggestion for healthcare.

Leave the provision to a multitude of operators: State + church/religious + for-profit, etc.

Let the State organise it such that 100% of the pop have access.

Money should not be able to buy faster access to care.

Now, how is this to be organised?

Either, 100% of the pop have insurance, so the division between public and private patient disappears.

Every GP / consultant / hosp wants to treat you, as you are insured, and they earn revenue.

Or, we move to a NHS style tax-funded Slaintecare, where the HSE sets targets for much shorter waiting times, and uses whatever operators/providers to achieve these outcomes.

That may mean the HSE contracting with for-profit providers.

If you want to pay cash/insurance for a better hosp room, yes ok.

Good post. I think there are options to deliver a one tier health system and if people want to pay for nice surroundings and single rooms then that's where those who want to spend extra can spend their money, but i'd go with the Slaintecare option. The crucial bit is the bit in bold above. I think it can be achieved if the political will is there and my proposal would be to charge a levy on everyone so that they are all stakeholders, with the levy increasing incrementally on those who can pay more.

SlainteCare is there as a blueprint that has plenty of support behind it. It is not merely a "rebranding of the HSE" as one particularly boring and annoying poster on this thread disparagingly put it. It is the stated aim of SlainteCare to provide a one tier system. SlainteCare has cross party endorsement, get the citizens behind it by making them stakeholders.

When this current crisis abates, that basic principle of a one tier system should be delivered on. Crucially the health care workers across the board need to be on board as well.

Any one left arguing against are in a minority and will be sidelined, let them bump their gums. Get SlainteCare and a one tier system delivered.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Good post. I think there are options to deliver a one tier health system and if people want to pay for nice surroundings and single rooms then that's where those who want to spend extra can spend their money, but i'd go with the Slaintecare option. The crucial bit is the bit in bold above. I think it can be achieved if the political will is there and my proposal would be to charge a levy on everyone so that they are all stakeholders, with the levy increasing incrementally on those who can pay more.

SlainteCare is there as a blueprint that has plenty of support behind it. It is not merely a "rebranding of the HSE" as one particularly boring and annoying poster on this thread disparagingly put it. It is the stated aim of SlainteCare to provide a one tier system. SlainteCare has cross party endorsement, get the citizens behind it by making them stakeholders.

When this current crisis abates, that basic principle of a one tier system should be delivered on. Crucially the health care workers across the board need to be on board as well.

Any one left arguing against are in a minority and will be sidelined, let them bump their gums. Get SlainteCare and a one tier system delivered.

Why? Why not focus on quality of care, rather than windmills.

Why? Why not focus on quality of care, rather than windmills.

Windmills? Creating a one tier system like they have in progressive European countries is chasing windmills? What a sad and pathetic attitude.

What did they commission Slaintecare for and create a consensus around it for if they're not going to implement it.

What's your skin in the game why are you against Slaintecare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭1641

SlainteCare has cross party endorsement, get the citizens behind it by making them stakeholders.

Windmills? Creating a one tier system like they have in progressive European countries is chasing windmills? What a sad and pathetic attitude.

What did they commission Slaintecare for and create a consensus around it for if they're not going to implement it.

I think you are misinterpreting Slaintecare and what is meant by a one-tier system. The aim of Slaintecare care is to deliver across the board, equal access to public health. I don't think there are many who would object to this - other, perhaps, than those medical consultants who have contracts that enable them to treat both public and private patients. Also, the HSE will be concerned about losing the income form privately insured patients who they currently charge for using the public system.

Certainly I think that most of those who have private insurance would welcome a single tier public system.

This, however, has nothing to do with private hospitals and clinics. These exist right across Europe (including UK) even though they have single tier public health systems. The point is that they must be totally seperate from the public system. A Consultant working in a public hospital would have no right to double job in a private hospital (and vice versa). The private hospital would be fully funded by the people who use it privately - whether directly by fees and charges or, indirectly, by insurance. If, as now, the vast majority of such users are Irish citizens/residents they would have already paid their share towards the public system through the taxation system. How they spend their discretionary money is up to themselves.

If the public system as developed (eg, Slaintecare) is as accessible as claimed, then there would be a big drop in the number paying for health insurance and using private hospitals.

Just as a by the way. A private hospital is different from a with-profit hospital operating in the public system. The latter operates by contract to the state to provide public health services on behalf of the state. These operate also in some single-tier systems. Access to these is nothing to do with private health insurance - they operate as fully accessible public hospitals with payments for their services coming from the state. I have no idea whether these will be considered by Slaintecare as one aspect of service - but either way, private hospitals are a different matter.

I have spent years of my life in Europe, there is no one system used in 'progressive' countries. There are many and they are not the panacea they are made out to be. When does a two tier system become a one tier, because all countries have a second tier? Is it when only 20% use private or 10%?

There are four qualities people desire in healthcare;
    quality,
    accessibility,
    speed of availability
    and cost to state or people

There is a myth that elsewhere in Europe they achieve all four. That is easily falsifiable. The NHS has quality and good cost but slow delivery. The US has brilliant quality and great speed but high costs. Slaintecare is already being implemented and it is clear that speed of availability is deteriorating as GPs have growing waiting lists. Irish politics is extremely conformist and heavily driven by a small uncritical media so its not surprising that they are rushing towards Slaintecare.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

d Denis O Brien.

He owns the place that was supposed to do the treatment for my dad's prostate cancer....just the night before he was due to begin treatment they rang to say they had stopped offering the treatment.

We ended up having to go down to waterford. Very difficult to travel at that time for my dad between treatments etc.

Maybe it was for the best though. He's fine now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Simon Coveney been married to Larry Goldman’s niece is surely a conflict of interest .

Not that you ever had much credibility but you’re showing yourself up by repeating lies such as this.

• Advertisement

I was called arrogant.

I said it before, but I am reiterating this again now.

Sláinte Care is nothing more than a rebranding of the HSE. You might refuse to admit that, but by ignoring this fact you are going to end up with an identical system in 5 years.

"sidelining" people who don't agree with you is evidence of a Nazi totalitarian attitude. You also now can not deny that. To turn your back on you own concept to encompass you own goals leaves other citizens behind, this defeats your own ideals in the first place. Pointless.

I get the distinct impression this thread is turning into a rich vs poor debate. How boring.

Thankfully Sláinte care will not get realised- and I can tell you why. As soon as private healthcare payers realise that the government has decided to charge them more taxes and remove their health benefits they will stop voting for them, that is how democracy works.

Advertisement