Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supporting craft breweries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Apologies if this has already been discussed but i'm curious - do the requirements for the deposit return scheme mean that any imported drinks (e.g. cans I might personally import online from France or elsewhere) need to comply with the DRS too? Would Customs deem such items as non-compliant and destroy them? I would hope not..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,555 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Customs used to destroy all drinks; I could see them return to that. Its only the last few years that they ever allowed people to pay the duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,158 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

Hopefully they bought it back for less than it sold for. Good news they can still access the distribution network as part of the deal.

From a personal perspective I'm excited to see what they can do at the helm again. Really enjoyed their beers when getting into crafts but haven't returned to them in recent years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I'd love to see Black Ball metric stout come back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭flended12

Vic Secret was another belter from 8 degrees.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Excellent news. They used to do some great hop forward beers but the brewery had seemed to just wither away in recent years.

But the drift from their early magnificent heights had happened before they ever sold the brewery.

I'd love to they returned to the quality and innovation of their early days!

• Advertisement

I could be wrong, but wasn't it mainly used as a donor for stout and IPA barrels for whiskey maturation? IDL probably didn't care much about any other business.

It seems they were quite good at getting the core range cans into supermarkets in volume.

Core range definitely took a dive prior to the sale but there was usually the odd nice special at least.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Their Bret yeast specials were amazing, and the big 8 Ball stout mentioned above. Most of us would fondly remember Amber Ella as well. Shame that got too expensive to brew!

Kinnegar appear to have acquired a nitrogenator and have released a nitro black lager and American red. Can't say I've ever had a nitro lager before, will be keen to try that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Heading to the Taproom on Saturday for the wee event looking forward to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Happy(!) Deposit Return Scheme launch day.

Check your receipts carefully…

https://x.com/sdaly213/status/1752991843741048896?s=46&t=wyBQBLlE_5FkH__21DnApg

if you read that thread you'll see Suervalu claiming that the the machines will still process that bottle for a refund. n

Not sure how that works but they are adamant.

Rascals Inchicore 50% off slab a cans

50% off core beer cases!

Yep, we've lost the plot. For all you lucky subscribers out there, we're lashing out a 50% discount on full cases (24 cans) of Happy Days session pale ale, Yankee White IPA, Wunderbar IPA, Jailbreak lager, and Hazy in Love IPA. Absolute madness!

The code to apply at the checkout is SPRINGCANS4ME and it's valid for the webshop only, for orders placed before 17/02/24, and for 24-can cases of the above listed core beers. Go and fill your boots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Think the website crashed!! 😁

Edit... yep!

Yep!

• Advertisement

Clearing non-logo stock ala Lidl I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Shouldn't they be notifying purchasers if that's the case..?

EDIT: Gonna preface this by saying I don't want to get into a Re-turn Scheme squabble.. just curious!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

No. The cans don't have the logo so there's no reason purchasers would expect to be able to return them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

They can also free sell them for weeks yet...!?

Deposits are linked to barcodes, not the logo. If a registered product is scanned the POS will allocate a deposit. The reverse vending machines have the same barcode data, so if said barcode is then scanned by the RVM, it'll issue the refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Working on Megamix Box so presuming a mistake.. can't remember which of the Rascals IPA's I'm fond of.. 😀

Huh! Well 15c x 24 isn't €1.80, so either that's a mistake or some are deposit and some aren't. But I guess if the cans arrive and aren't refundable, you can claim that deposit back from them.

Bit of a pain with ecomm, am dealing with this myself at the moment! The main Shopify apps for deposits all bundle the total added deposits as one line item so if you have a mix of deposit and non deposit gear you won't see what's with what. They should put it in the product name if it's added so you can reference the receipt when it comes to recycling time. Obviously won't be a long term problem, just until old stock is shifted.

• Advertisement

But wouldn't the deposit/non-deposit items have different SKU barcodes, so Shopify knows which ones to charge deposit on, same as the machines know which to refund on?

Many products are retaining their barcodes and not changing particularly if they are also international barcodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,267 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Was in Limerick yesterday and found Crew Brewing, had their Dunkel Weisse and Brown Ale. Both very enjoyable. Hope they do well down there.

They certainly seem to be going about things in the right way. Great place, great beer, great people. Every city should have something like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Turns out downgrading your food options and charging 7 quid for your own beer isn’t going to wash with punters.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

Nor is brewing an absolutely stellar Baltic porter, unfortunately. Tharapita: get it before the liquidators liquidate it.

• Advertisement

Shame. I thought they owned all the Dublin ones

Is that a new one? Hard to keep up. They'll survive this though, right?

Yes it is and I have no idea if they will or not.

These are possibly all leased off the same landlord who owns multiple pubs in Galway and Dublin - but does not operate any Dublin ones.

Two in Dublin don't seem to be included, Beer Temple and Gasworks, which are definitely not leased off him.

So this may be a procedural thing to renegotiate rents. I hope.

Surprised by that. Are the Dublin ones quiet? Salt House is always busy. Oslo does well but wouldn't be very busy I'd say. Dew Drop wouldn't be as busy since they took it over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I had understood these to be “Galway Bay Brewery” bars. I’m guessing they’re linked but separate legal operations? So whilst the pubs are now subject to examinership, the brewery operations are not?

They're linked but different companies

It isn't even all of the Brú Hospitality (the division of the overall setup that runs the pubs) bars in Dublin - Gasworks and Beer Temple are not under Pizza Eile Limited. I don't know if they are still involved in Urban8 in Kilmainham.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

The parent company applied for an extension on their accounts in the middle last year so they wouldn't have to publish them for the end of the current tax year, that was a massive red flag.

They also made their head brewer redundant, which is a bizarre move for any company that plans to continue as a functional brewery in the long run.

The company over all is split into about 6 holding companies and a seperate parent company.

Pizza Ella's main debter will be the parent company, they also don't lease most of the pubs listed, they bought most of them over the years, the Oslo was owned by the O'Connell family (co-founder's parents to be exact).

I'd be surprised if GBB existed in it's current form in 18 months time.

I feel bad for any debters, as the parent company being the primary debtor will recieve the bulk of any money raised from the probable liquidation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭squonk

Exodus a lot over the last while IMHO. I’ve been on here previously complaining about there relatively high prices for the beer. I know the 330ml can the is a whole other debate but I just largely stopped buying the stuff as I felt it represented bad value. I felt they were price gouging which nags since sense of other parts of the business were under pressure. Mind you with different companies involved in the vitality and brewing side it might just be gouging the the sake of gouging anyway. Mind you sobering has to pay for the expansion in recent years. Personally I hope they trim the fat and end up leaner and back to where they were in about 2011 which is when I came across them first. Good beer and two decent pubs in Galway. This started to go downhill with them IMHO in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There bloody well is, I got charged the deposit on them! 😀

Got two 24 can boxes of Wunderbar for half price so even if I write off the deposit it's still a bargain. I expect to get the deposit back though.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How on earth can a brewer make its head brewer redundant?

As RTE have found out, it's a fake redundancy if you replace the person - you fire a person, but you make a role redundant, and how can a brewer not have a head brewer?

Plenty of nasty tax implications and possibly WRC hearings if they weren't very careful.

Haven't considered buying any GBB core range in a long while, just far too expensive for what it is.

Scrap the cap!

I consume far less beer these days than I would have previously (young kids so don't go out often and too tired to start a beer when they've gone to bed usually).

I'd have always frequented the Salt House back in the day but then all their own stuff just got too expensive on draft and the place was full of alternative types with dogs.

Getting rid of Stormy Port years ago still irks. Would never have been a lover of Bay Ale or Full Sail but some of the others like Ostara I'd buy the odd time, or if there was an interesting special. Hopefully they'll slim down the operation and keep one or two of the Galway pubs and just concentrate on decent beer.

Splurged on blacks brewery latest offer.

96 cans for 139!

https://www.blacksbrewery.com/shop/drs1/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=happy_st_brigids_day&utm_term=2024-02-01

• Advertisement
Advertisement