Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Aren't stouts more of a winter drink for many? Would be natural enough to reduce then during the summer if so.

The presence of lagers would be a big problem for me, haven't found any that are worth drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I really like the core WH range and they'll often feature in a selection of beers I buy from the local offie. But some of their limited editions are really not my taste - the pastry stouts, as mentioned, and things anything with lactose added. I still have some cans floating around from a box I got I think in early spring - a mint one and some kind of flavoured stout. I'd be wary of ending up with a couple of beers per box that'd be like that. The Clann Core range might be grand for me, so, but personally I think I'd rather spend the equivalent on their beers that I know I like, plus picking my own selection from the offie, not limited to who WH partner with. That said, it's a great idea for those who like all their beers, and seems to be quite good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Have to say I am enjoying the Clann box.

There have been a few added to the box over the time that I would not have normally bought off the shelf. Pumpkin Ale, Festa Nuda and Milkshake IPA being some off the top of my head that I wouldn't have even considered buying that ended up being very high up on my list of, buy if I see them it beers.

There have been a few misses for me too, most notably the Sours and the barrel aged IPA's but I do enjoy tasting beers I'd never buy even if I don't fully enjoy them. (Pineapple sour was an exception, currently the only sour I have enjoyed)

You'd need to like the core range for it to be enjoyable though, due to them making up the most of the box each month.

But what I think is the best part of Clann, the guest beer and the Zoom tasting session with the guest brewery talking through the process and their brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I was in Brewdock and the Black Sheep recently and noticed the same - assume it's a sort of de-risking while capacity is reduced? Their own stuff is nice but a bit more variety would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,026 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There have been a few added to the box over the time that I would not have normally bought off the shelf.

No harm so in my case, I've been stuck in a kind of rut lately only buying the same few crafts all the time, so throwing a bit of variety into the mix can't do any harm can it?

Controversially, I liked their sours even though the last one I bought (hibiscus/ginger, pink can) nearly melted my gums 😀

What's the story with the Clann 10% discount on their online store? Do you get a code once you actually start paying i.e. first box is shipped? I forgot about the discount and ordered a 24 case the same day, good price and includes a free gift but 10% off would have made it all the sweeter 😉

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

What's the story with the Clann 10% discount on their online store?

It should just automatically be applied once you are logged in, but it's possible you may need to have the first month of Clann processed first (usually first few days of the month, depending on guest brew delivery).

I'd pop off a mail to them and they'll look after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Yeah I have noticed that too, places where you might get a random Galway Hooker or whatever have gone.

I was up in the Wicklow Wolf taproom a few weeks ago and got chatting to a fella working there who is in charge of the on trade around Dublin and south Leinster for them. He said they have struggled to get back into a good few of the pubs they were in before Covid. Publicans saying they won't be able to sell it with less traffic at the moment. But he said the pubs who are taking them are selling far more than pre Covid. He gave an example of a pub in S. Dublin where they used to sell one keg every 3 weeks and now they are sending 2-3 a week there. He also said the level of off sales is through the roof since Covid ( but I assume most breweries are like that)

I know for me anyway, I constantly ask for local beer or craft beer when I go into a pub. Even when I know they don't have any, just so they are aware people are looking for it. Every little helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Looking at buying one of these advent beer boxes for Christmas. From looking online, there appears to be a few options - mainly Molloys, Craft Central and Martins Off Licence. Based on past experiences, do ye have any recommendations? Cheers!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Main man in Trouble said on Twitter that he's had the best week for keg orders in two years - hope this continues. Common enough to have an Ambush tap in a not fully craft pub; not as common as O'Haras, Rye River or Galway Hooker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Just had their Lights Out IPA. One of their finest brews yet imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

White Hag are to open a taproom in Dublin. But in the Airport.

Will be a huge change from there being occasionally working Hope taps and nothing else non-macro easily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Due to fly from Dublin in December... except my slight is c. 5am so doubt that this will be open. Darn!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

To be honest, I never really care about airport bars and what beer is available.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Great stuff. Marqette chopped all their craft beer during the pandemic and haven't got any back in. They're operating a QR menu system now so no doubt t the craft would actually sell better as previously the bottles were all tucked away at the back fridge. Ah well.

I've a flight in early December so hopefully it will be up and running then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I haven't looked too much this year but last year got the CC one (this year they have two options). It was good to try different beers I probably wouldn't have picked up otherwise, but if you know what styles you like it is probably better to get a selection you will probably enjoy. If you don't enjoy lagers, or IPAs, or <insert other style> you will probably have a few cans to give away which offsets any discount in buying in bulk.

Might be worth a look here:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058137817/advent-box-reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Cheers! Actually went up going with Molloys in the end.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There are still bottles tucked away there, but they're not on the online menu so they may as well not be there.

Has anyone figured out where in Dublin Airport the White Hag bar will be? It looks like where Leopold's is/was, at the 100s gates (former Pier D).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

White Hag said on Twitter it would be at the Ryanair gates so my guess is Leopold's.

This is turning into a White Hag thread 😁

Their Christmas gift boxes are on pre-order now. (I suspect most of 'em will be gifts to oneself, like mine!)

I contacted them about the 10% Clann discount, it doesn't apply to gift or event boxes but does to normal orders, no code required once your subscription is active it should be applied automatically.

Got my first Clann box yesterday, haven't tried anything yet but a couple of interesting looking ones in there.

Life ain't always empty.

I've tried everything in that Clann box this month with the exception of the guest beer, pretty sure I have never had a braggot beer before so while being one of the weaker months for me at least I am getting to try something I would be unlikely to pick up when shopping.

I don't think its a style I'm going to like, but will give it a taste later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

I have had all the beers before except the Mad Scientist one. Looking forward to trying it as well. I noticed the BB date is very short dated at 6/12/21. Would have expected it to be bit fresher than that (assuming it is a 6 or 12 month shelf life). I will be drinking it tonight so no worries about the date!

So, chill it like a lager, or not, like a stout?

Life ain't always empty.

I decided not to chill it. Just left it in utility room where no heat (so still fairly cool)

Mine has been in the fridge since yesterday, although I chill my stouts too so don't mind me 😁

Just after drinking the Mad Scientist beet. Really enjoyed it. Some super flavours from it. In saying that I say 1 or 2 is limit - couldnt go on a session drinking it

My first thoughts were correct, that Pachamama was not for me. Felt too syrupy and took a while to get through it.

Quite a lot of sediment too, more than I have seen before whether its part of this style or not I'm not sure. Definitely lives up to the mad in mad scientist anyway which is a good thing. I would like to try something that's more my style off them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

treaty city brewing ipa is epic.

Brew Dock have a few Brú taps now, and one of their Christmas painted windows has dual branding on a representation of a pub on it - wonder if that's what they're going to go with or if it is literal artistic licence!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

All the pubs will be Galway Bay branded, including the existing BRÚ ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Missed opportunity to be Brú Dock by GBB... 🙂

Advertisement