Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Twee. wrote: »
    Again this is my personal account but I do just want to say we absolutely do not ship cans that are "not suitable for retail" to online shop customers! I'm aware of cans being dented in transit.

Thanks for the clarification. Was just a guess on my end. I go through them pretty sharpish so no impact on the beer... just the photo for Untappd. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I know with cans of food being dented the concern is that if they are deeply dented to the point the integrity is compromised then bacteria can get in.

But with beer cans I must admit my assumption was always that no matter how badly dented, it didn't really matter. If the dent was deep enough then the liquid would come out, as alluded to above with the burst Whiplash can. But failing that I assumed they were ok.

So when dented cans are not considered fit for retail, is it mainly a cosmetic thing? Seems a shame if so.

I know with cans of food being dented the concern is that if they are deeply dented to the point the integrity is compromised then bacteria can get in.

But with beer cans I must admit my assumption was always that no matter how badly dented, it didn't really matter. If the dent was deep enough then the liquid would come out, as alluded to above with the burst Whiplash can. But failing that I assumed they were ok.

So when dented cans are not considered fit for retail, is it mainly a cosmetic thing? Seems a shame if so.

My statement earlier in the thread was meant in the sense they were not suitable for retail for cosmetic reasons.

If I was a brewer, I wouldn't want dented cans from me filling my shelf space.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Yeah, I get you. Sadly it mostly happens when they've left a brewery. Cans are packed off the canning line straight into their cases and aren't opened again until they get to a retailer/distro or get opened to fill an order on site if the brewery has an online shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jersey Puller

Sorry if that was unclear - dented cans do not get sold in our online shop. They are not dented when they are packed for online orders. I'm not trying to be cryptic here.
    I'm aware of cans getting dented in transit, after they have been packed and have left for shipping.

I love whiplash beers. But I’ve got to ask the obvious question should you consider packing them better or using a thicker box to mitigate against the denting .? I placed an order last week that came in two separate flimsy boxes and almost half the cans were dented . That being said I’m an addict and will be ordering this weeks offerings .

• Advertisement

Yep, as I said I'm aware so it's something I'm working on! Please do feel free to email if you ever have a problem with an order, I'm on the other end and generally try to respond or at best have a resolution within the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

https://honestbrew.co.uk/the-brewies-2021-winners/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=organic-social-media&utm_campaign=Inform&fbclid=IwAR10I7X9AZTXaT6K81yMvHlNLC-NFT5TtFoYvLg9efL2m2VOnBgEq13j3WE

Whiplash best international brewery in the honest brew brewies! Well deserved. The Irish beer scene has seemingly excluded them for any local awards, but they'll get the recognition anyways.

The brown ale they put out recently was the best dang brown ale I've had, it's great they're doing underappreciated styles as well as ones that are guaranteed to sell!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jersey Puller

Yep, as I said I'm aware so it's something I'm working on! Please do feel free to email if you ever have a problem with an order, I'm on the other end and generally try to respond or at best have a resolution within the same day.

Great stuff . Appreciate the response. Thanks . Ah it’s all good. I was only making the point as what’s inside and outside the can is always a premium product therefore I like it to arrive unblemished . Keep doing what you do . Also the delivery time itself was wicked fast . The cans arrived the day after order was placed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

snowblind wrote: »
    The Irish beer scene has seemingly excluded them for any local awards, but they'll get the recognition anyways.
    Huh? Do you just mean in the last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

snowblind wrote: »
    The Irish beer scene has seemingly excluded them for any local awards, but they'll get the recognition anyways.
    I don't think their in the ICBI, which was the last awards I saw, so be pretty hard to win! I've no idea how other awards work - whether breweries have to apply?

Anyway, the Brown was amazing - going to run it off against the new St Mels Barrel Aged tomorrow evening. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Beoir awards are for any beer brewed in Ireland. Whiplash won 2nd, 3rd and Best Overall in 2019.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

irish_goat wrote: »
    Beoir awards are for any beer brewed in Ireland. Whiplash won 2nd, 3rd and Best Overall in 2019.
    And Beer of the Year for two consecutive years before that.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I don't think their in the ICBI, which was the last awards I saw, so be pretty hard to win! I've no idea how other awards work - whether breweries have to apply?

Anyway, the Brown was amazing - going to run it off against the new St Mels Barrel Aged tomorrow evening. :cool:

There's a few types of awards out there, many are pay-to-play and you enter your own product. Judging panels are often made up of journalists, beer sommeliers, industry peers, that kind of thing. The Honest Brew one was the result of a member survey, think that's how Beoir works too. I like that type to be honest, it's voted for by folks who actually go out and buy the beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Happy Friday!

White Hag have a new green beer. It's a "shamrock shake ice cream ale" and literally pours green.

https://twitter.com/craftcentral/status/1362743823038902273

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Saw that. Will not be buying.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm going to guess this was in the tanks before the American left and they weren't going to throw it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm going to guess this was in the tanks before the American left and they weren't going to throw it out.

My first thought as well, hope to see a move away from these gimmicky offers by White Hag soon.

For the Whiplash fan boys (& girls!)...

http://www.whiplashbeer.com/blog/2021/2/18/whiplash-x-international-womens-day
    International Women’s Day is coming on March 8th so we (the ladies of Whiplash) have put together a couple of online events to invite you into to the brewery and see what we do here!

On Sunday March 7th at 3pm GMT, lead cellar brewer at Whiplash Beer Lynsey Campbell will host a virtual tasting session of Whiplash beers and a tour of the brewery, co-hosted by Leah Kilcullen, marketing manager (hey that’s me!). We’re going to run this on Zoom and all are welcome to join us. If you want to sign up, just fill out this form and we’ll stick you on the list. We’ll update you soon with what beers we’re going to sample on the day.

If you want to grab a few beers to sip along with us, we’re donating all webshop sales to ALONE on March 1st. ALONE reaches hundreds of older people all over Ireland, and close to the brewery at their residential services in Kilmainham and the Liberties. Their support has been a vital social lifeline to older people over the last year.

On March 8th, International Women’s Day itself, Lynsey will provide a behind the scenes look at what a typical day looks like in a busy brewery and we’ll meet the team as we follow the beer from malt milling to canning. Catch that over on @whiplashbeer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Pen Rua wrote: »

"Hey Siri, remind me to buy all the whiplash on March 1st"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

White Hag have given an update on the changes post-brewergate

https://www.thewhitehag.com/2021/02/19/awelcomewakeupcall/

Rather more complete than the "right, that's over, lets move on" I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Rather more complete than the "right, that's over, lets move on" I was expecting.

You can't really fault that response. Fair dues.

Very well covered there.

In other beer related news. Carraig Dubh is back in stock in Martin's. Hupp!

In other beer related news. Carraig Dubh is back in stock in Martin's. Hupp!

I’ve just opened one :)

I’ve just opened one :)

One of the lads was just over there and he failed to fulfill my order. Sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fair play.
    No hiding there.

I wonder if they will be able sort out the issue of his 10% without going to court?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Have just posted this in the good drink bargain alerts.

Yellowbelly have free delivery if you buy directly from their website.

Have ordered a mixed 12 pack for 36.

https://yellowbellybeer.ie/collections/multi-packs

O'Haras have a double barrel aged stout out.

https://twitter.com/craftcentral/status/1363823233464750084

6 months in bourbon barrels, followed by 6 months in Irish whiskey barrels which were ex-sherry ones.

I'm all barrel aged stout-ed out after the Christmas, so I'm not quick to pick this one up tbh, as interesting as it sounds. If it turns up in Bradley's for a decent price I might pick it up to age / cellar it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Picked up Larkin's Session IPA 6 pack in O'Briens yesterday.

Was priced at €12 but went through as €10 on the till.

Their Pale Ale is my go to beer but they didn't have any in stock.

Advertisement