Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

I always made a point of getting some pink Púca in for the outdoor drinking in the summer months. Lovely stuff though some other breweries have eclipsed it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I always made a point of getting some pink Púca in for the outdoor drinking in the summer months. Lovely stuff though some other breweries have eclipsed it recently.

For me, that one veered too much into alco pop territory for me. Just didn't taste like beer at all, to me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Game changer, O'Hara's are bringing out their stout in a can, with nitro.

Screenshot-20210228-122522-Instagram.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

irish_goat wrote: »

/image snip/

Was just thinking today how good the Nitro Milk Stout from Left Hand is, cannot wait to try this.

Brilliant news. Not a fan of Left Hand as it's too sweet for me but this is going to be fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Brilliant news. Not a fan of Left Hand as it's too sweet for me but this is going to be fantastic.

Try BrewDog VS Evil Twin - Roaster Coaster if you want a nicely balanced Nitro Stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

irish_goat wrote: »

/image sniped

I hope they follow up with canning their Red Nitro that only appears to be available on tap in far too few a place.

Passenger wrote: »
    Try BrewDog VS Evil Twin - Roaster Coaster if you want a nicely balanced Nitro Stout.

That's even sweeter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

That's even sweeter

No its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Their original Heather sour was fantastic and amazing value.
    The barrel aged one is also excellent but much dearer than the original.

Of the puca range, I've only likes the lemon, but I really like that.

I have a few heather sours in the pantry. Rounded up a load of them last year when they made a re-appearance.

One's just gone into the fridge for after dinner. Good shout.

• Advertisement

Passenger wrote: »
    No its not.

It's a Vietnamese coffee stout. A pastry stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

So these nitro stouts in a can, with no widget - are these the same as the "surge" cans Diageo are selling up north and in the UK? I had a few cans of Hope's nitro stout last night, and it was lovely stuff. I'd invest in a jewellery cleaner from Lidl next time they're on sale if I could be assured of a regular supply of a dry nitro stout, but the Left Hand one is too sweet for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm not really a fan of nitro*, but was going to pick up the Hope one (and now the O'Hara's).

*large bottle for me, if I'm in a non-craft pub.

https://twitter.com/OHarasBeers/status/1366361559501594625

O'Hara's Nitro will use widgets.

Follow on tweet says its launching in independent off licenses this week, then to export.

Wonder will it make its way to Tesco etc where their stuff is already sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

is it a stupid 440ml though?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

is it a stupid 440ml though?

The full glass suggests otherwise (but it might be a 500 ml glass with a decent head)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Hard to tell, but looks like 440ml in this video?

https://twitter.com/OHarasBeers/status/1366003734321504256?s=20

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You wouldn't get 440ml and a widget in a 440ml sized can - 500ml widget cans are using ~520ml cans for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭adam240610

Picked up a few (mostly) Irish beers to try some different beers, anyone have any thoughts or have tried any of these?

Really missing brewery tours at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I love Black Bucket and Vietnow. Worlds End was one of my favourites from the winter.

• Advertisement

Hard to tell, but looks like 440ml in this video?

https://twitter.com/OHarasBeers/status/1366003734321504256?s=20

Yeah that can clearly has 440ml on it if you pause the video

adam240610 wrote: »
    Yeah that can clearly has 440ml on it if you pause the video

Screenshot:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Ordered some whiplash cans so that some of the money goes to Alone.

Order confirmation email at 14:37
    UPS shipment email at 15:34

57 minutes from order to shipment, fair play Ladies and Gents of Whiplash. That's some turnaround!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I love Black Bucket and Vietnow. Worlds End was one of my favourites from the winter.

I'm brewing an imperial stout myself so will be interesting to see how it stacks up. looking forwards to the worlds end one most of all

https://craftcentral.ie/collections/coming-soon

Quite the week for new releases...

Kinnegar's new double rye IPA, a NEIPA from Rye River (re-release?), several from To Ol, DOT (including several barrel aged stouts, as to be expected from them!), a couple of new ones from Stone Barrel / Third Circle / Third Barrel, as well as the O'Hara nitro stout. Lineman also have two re-releases due out this week.

I can't wait to get my hands on the To Øl Chugwork Orange Creamsicle Ale. I know a lot of people have strong feelings about lactose / ice cream type IPAs, but Lervig's Orange Velvet (similar style) was one of the beers that got me into craft beer.

Might be putting in an order with Craft Central this week... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Pen Rua wrote: »

500ml can, widget takes up a fair amount of space.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Could be a 473ml can blank for 440ml+widget, don't think you'd need 60ml volume for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Again I find it hilarious that people are getting upset about the size of a can, without ever enquiring about the price!
    It would appear that the aversion to cans that aren't 500ml has nothing to do with value.

What if a brewery brought out 550 ml cans?
    Would they be better?
    What about 600 ml?
    Or is there something magical about 500 ml?

Do the same people hate 330 cans, too?
    Are 355 cans slightly less loathsome?

• Advertisement

For those in Cork, The Bierhaus are doing free delivery (within 10KM, min order of €20) for the month of March.

https://www.thebierhauscork.com/

The website isn't as slick as some other operations, but I'll throw in an order soon of some of the stuff I was eyeing up on Craft Central.ie to support them.

Advertisement