Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Pulled the trigger on the Brown with Craft Central, as I'm a bit imperial'd out at this stage. Went with more Rabbit Hole, the new Kinnegar Saison and the Galway Bay NZ special rather than go with the Whiplash mixtape box of the three new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Effects wrote: »
    Which one was that? Not the recent Heart of Chambers?

No was something that happened pre-whiplash as a collab but has been re-released as a whiplash beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Ah, I went for the mixed box of the new releases. They’re out of stock of Body Riddle and Rollover, and I wasn’t fancying the other single cans to bring the order to 6 units.

I’ve found myself going over the top with IPAs so it’s better for me to have some variety in my beer styles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Talking about mini kegs I got 3 short dated kegs of Hope Gentleman Jack IPA for €20 each from O'Brien's.

Only the wife and I will be drinking them with no dispenser so will probably go through one over Friday and Saturday night.

Grand price at €20 but the supposedly RRP of €40 is expensive to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Fakey Cake Maker was showing as sold out as individual sales, so I went for the dark mixtape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Talking about mini kegs I got 3 short dated kegs of Hope Gentleman Jack IPA for €20 each from O'Brien's.

Only the wife and I will be drinking them with no dispenser so will probably go through one over Friday and Saturday night.

€20 is a great price for 5 litres of a good IPA!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Which O'Briens? Or do you have them all gone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Buying bottles from Bru directly is more expensive than the supermarket. Why?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

They're likely charging the same retail price as an independent off licence, so as not to upset them. Supermarkets buy in bulk so can usually offer better prices.

It's the same for even the likes of BrewDog, you'll get Punk cheaper in Tesco.

irish_goat wrote: »
    They're likely charging the same retail price as an independent off licence, so as not to upset them. Supermarkets buy in bulk so can usually offer better prices.

It's the same for even the likes of BrewDog, you'll get Punk cheaper in Tesco.

I know, but the price per bottle is 2.50 in the supermarket and more expensive per bottle for a slab direct from them...

• Advertisement

Most are the same in my experience. You are giving all the money to the brewery though.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Most are the same in my experience. You are giving all the money to the brewery though.

I do like supporting local business but you'd expect equivalent prices at least when you are buying in bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

where was this??
    Thats a great deal!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I do like supporting local business but you'd expect equivalent prices at least when you are buying in bulk.

How much bulk do you think the supermarket are buying in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Which O'Briens? Or do you have them all gone :D

All gone unfortunately, it was an online offer, found out about it on one of the booze bargain threads. Short-dated but I'm sure they will be fine.

Maybe the stores might have some as well but that would be hit and miss of course.

How much bulk do you think the supermarket are buying in?

So really the only reason to buy direct is to help the business out. That's fine but will put a lot of people off buying direct, you'd expect them to at least match the supermarket prices on bulk orders. They are not selling to the supermarket at a loss.

Now I have experience of other local non brewery businesses just completely taking the mickey... For instance adding a 100% premium to products. The Bru prices are at least fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

So really the only reason to buy direct is to help the business out. That's fine but will put a lot of people off buying direct, you'd expect them to at least match the supermarket prices on bulk orders. They are not selling to the supermarket at a loss.

Now I have experience of other local non brewery businesses just completely taking the mickey... For instance adding a 100% premium to products. The Bru prices are at least fair enough.

Its not taking the Mickey, in a small operation selling volume is where the profit is. Picking & packing cases for one/two case deliveries take time & they mightnt have the resources for many online orders. So it makes sense to have the price high enough that A: it'll be worth it & B: the prices aren't appealing enough & drive up demand so that they wouldn't be able to manage the supply/logistics.

Separately, most producers promote a certain RRP & large chains always push to be able to sell below this, they sign on for thousands of cases on the proviso that they'll be able to sell cheaper than everyone else. So the brand has to sell at RRP to be able to stand over the RRP.

Its not taking the Mickey, in a small operation selling volume is where the profit is. Picking & packing cases for one/two case deliveries take time & they mightnt have the resources for many online orders. So it makes sense to have the price high enough that A: it'll be worth it & B: the prices aren't appealing enough & drive up demand so that they wouldn't be able to manage the supply/logistics.

Separately, most producers promote a certain RRP & large chains always push to be able to sell below this, they sign on for thousands of cases on the proviso that they'll be able to sell cheaper than everyone else. So the brand has to sell at RRP to be able to stand over the RRP.

What Bru are doing is fine. Small shop in town was selling a product - that is 150 direct from the producer online - for 300 in their shop. That seems like a massive profit. It wasn't beer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Not strictly craft brewers, but The Bierhaus are doing a livestream on Sunday evening with the head brewer from Black's (Kinsale)

https://www.facebook.com/bierhauscork/posts/5500783959964206

Don't think it's meant to be in the vein of the Craic Beer Zoom calls, more of shooting the breeze vibe, which will probably include beer talk given the host & guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The new Sabro SMaSH IPA from White Hag is mighty good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Picked up plenty of beers I haven't tried for the weekend:

- Rascals - Spacehopper
    - Rascals - The Breakfast Of Champions
    - Rascals - Big Hop Red
    - Larkins - Pale Ale
    - Whiplash - Hot Pursuit
    - Galway Bay - Buried At Sea
    - Dead Centre - Marooned

Big fans of Rascals stuff lately so expecting good things. Anyone any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Knightofcydonia

- Rascals - Spacehopper
    - Rascals - Big Hop Red
    - Larkins - Pale Ale
    - Whiplash - Hot Pursuit
    - Dead Centre - Marooned

I'm a fan of the Rascals stuff myself, really enjoyed the new breakfast stout. I only picked up two at the time but I'll be picking up more over the weekend.

You're not going to go wrong with any of them in my opinion. Spacehopper was one of my favourite beers of 2020, and I though Breakfast of Champions was nicer than Whiplash/ 3fe one. Marooned is really good too imo.

I need to revisit Big Hop Red again, the last time I tried it last year it had changed and wasn’t nearly as nice.

I need to revisit Big Hop Red again, the last time I tried it last year it had changed and wasn’t nearly as nice.
    I've been underwhelmed with lots of reds recently - I'm not really sure is it the beers having changed or my tastes having moved on from when I used to drink a lot of them. My favourite at the moment is Wicklow Wolf Wildfire, which isn't really a traditional red.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Basq wrote: »
    The new Sabro SMaSH IPA from White Hag is mighty good!

After Salt Sabro and lately an excellent Larkins Sabro, I sure am looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

- Rascals - Spacehopper
    - Rascals - Big Hop Red
    - Larkins - Pale Ale
    - Whiplash - Hot Pursuit
    - Dead Centre - Marooned

Have to say Spacehopper is an excellent beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

Anyone any thoughts?

Yea, wish I bought beer!

flended12 wrote: »
    Yea, wish I bought beer!

Picked up a couple of bottles of foxes rock lager but I forgot it always gives me a headache. I wish I hadn’t bought beer :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Picked up the Larkins Sarbo on the strength of a post above. I have kind of lost touch with certain Irish breweries so I bought two Larkins and two Brehon brewhouse. I'm going to try to get around a bit more.

Last night had a bottle of Duvel. It's been years. I forgot what a great, timeless beer it is.

Advertisement