Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mrsmum wrote: »
    He complained about the media hounding his parents today but he caused that situation by his actions.

Yeah. It was completely fine when it was foreigners, BAME people and liberals that were adversely affected by the outrage he stirred up.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Enzokk

devnull wrote: »
    The question is, how much is actually true and how much has been invented to fit around the events?

Everything I would say. They probably thought they found their out with the exceptional circumstances angle but that will fall apart as well. The circumstances for them leaving London is unclear. The reason for them leaving is still unclear. The trip to Barnard Castle was unnecessary and the drive back was against the guidance as well.

I was really thinking he was going to be able to justify why he went to his family, but as it went on it became more and more of a joke. Take this picture someone shared,

EY4MIGqXsAYXlZJ?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edit: Johnson will front the Press Briefing at 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scot_in_Dublin

I see Leo went for a picnic in the Phoenix park. Death by stoning or let him off with 500 lashes?

When you sat your driving test (assuming you have a license) which part of the test was the 30 minute drive to test if your eyesight was ok?

I also have a 17 year old niece. Am I to take it from Mr Cummings that we can now sacrifice them to a pretty serious virus as I'm an essential worker?

Must be some car the lad has also, the MPG would be off the charts without a refill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I see Leo went for a picnic in the Phoenix park. Death by stoning or let him off with 500 lashes?

Banal and entirely predictable whataboutery.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Andrew Bridgen on drivetime offering very qualified support: "I do hope what he said was factually correct and doesn't unravel." Also that he hopes to see a chastened Dom Cummings going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I just hope some other major story does not come along before Boris has to face Starmer at pmq. Regarding his press conference, Dominic either didn't consult with Boris to get their stories straight or he is so arrogant he doesn't care about throwing Boris and the rest of the Tory bigwigs who defended him on twitter under the bus. Boris is in an even worst position now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I thought Cummings is meant to be a master manipulator of the press. Did it not occur to him as he wrote the words "My eyesight had been poor so we went on a 30 mile drive to test it" how ridiculous it sounded?

Surely he must have been seeing the memes already at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oh i see you're back to deflecting again.

s_topTEMP-8275.jpeg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Enzokk wrote: »
    Sure, for the trip to Durham. But what about the trip to Barnard Castle and then the trip back? He could work from home, not like he needs to be in Westminster if other MP's are able to work from home. He decided to go to Durham, he then had to pay the price by staying there until the lockdown was relaxed.

They have hospitals in London.

How does the kid getting sick justify them leaving London?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think it is a truly momentus day for Britain when the media machine unleashed total war on an individual to be sacked from their job and were unsuccessful.

I would imagine the paper editors will try and keep the pressure on by having people stand outside his home.

This is not about a man who drove his family to Durham, or left v right, or Brexit, it is about a man in a senior political position that believes that modern media is irrelevant. The mainstream media are witnessing their end. The media pile-on is paperweight when everybody stands firm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I think it is a truly momentus day for Britain when the media machine unleashed total war on an individual to be sacked from their job and were unsuccessful.

I would imagine the paper editors will try and keep the pressure on by having people stand outside his home.

This is not about a man who drove his family to Durham, or left v right, or Brexit, it is about a man in a senior political position that believes that modern media is irrelevant. The mainstream media are witnessing their end. The media pile-on is paperweight when everybody stands firm.

It is about an unelected bureaucrat running the UK and getting away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

We'll see, I think he will be gone by Friday after that disaster of an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Doesn't Leo live in Castleknock, which last time I checked was well withing 5km from the Phoenix Park.

In fact Mr Varadkar is currently residing in Farmleigh Estate in the park with his partner Matthew during the pandemic and was not outside of the 5km limit

Inquitus wrote: »
    We'll see, I think he will be gone by Friday after that disaster of an appearance.

What is truly disastrous in that appearance, apart of course from his actual performance and inability to 'get the truth out there', is that he has effectively made Johnson out to be a liar.

He went against a number of things that Johnson said yesterday and so we have the situation where a sitting PM went out of his way to defend is own SPAD, and the SPAD then showed the PM out to be a liar within 24 hours.

Johnson has exercised terrible political instincts over this. Why not send Don out yesterday if they were going to do it today?

How can a sitting PM accept that the SPAD, after agreeing that the PM is the best person to handle this, then decide the next day that the PM did such a poor job that said SPAD needed to go out and try and do it properly?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Yeah that's total nonsense. If that tweet about that same day being his wife's birthday is true, then it just shows how arrogant these people are. Quite worrying that Johnson is obviously so dependent on this guy.
    12 April;)

Andrew Bridgen on drivetime offering very qualified support: "I do hope what he said was factually correct and doesn't unravel." Also that he hopes to see a chastened Dom Cummings going forward.

Did he see the press conference? What about any of that is not going to unravel?

robinph wrote: »
    They have hospitals in London.

How does the kid getting sick justify them leaving London?

It doesn't, but trying to nail him when him and his supporters will cling to the exceptional circumstances is not worth the effort when he is 100% wrong on the trip to Barnard Castle.

Related to your post about the hospitals in London, this tweet highlights why this trip to Durham was misguided as well,

https://twitter.com/colinrtalbot/status/1264972144909352962?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

gmisk wrote: »
    Darren grimes on sky news....he is so embarrassing...people were overanalyzing the rules....lol

He's launching his new right wing site "Reasoned UK" tomorrow.

It's the media's job to scrutinize power. Cummings wields power and was never elected. It's telling that the only people defending him are the government and the liberal tears brigade.

H. H. Asquith

If the Taoiseach was symptomatic and lived in Dingle and then went to the Phoenix Park, then yes he should apologise for his idiocy. And maybe a stoning.

You're best to get all your whataboutery out now as Boris will be lying during the daily briefing soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,896 ✭✭✭Patser

Shelga wrote: »
    I thought Cummings is meant to be a master manipulator of the press. Did it not occur to him as he wrote the words "My eyesight had been poor so we went on a 30 mile drive to test it" how ridiculous it sounded?

Surely he must have been seeing the memes already at that point.

Cummings proved today the symbiotic nature of his relationship with Johnson - he is the man behind the curtain, manipulating the message but not the showman or actor. You could see how uncomfortable he was being front and centre, unconvincing in talking. He needs Johnson to bring the pizzazz as Johnson needs him to bring the brain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Expecting Johnson to relax other restrictions now to distract us from Cummings.

Seems like his wife is able to drive if this is her article in the Spectator,

https://twitter.com/MartineMavi/status/1264973679055777793?s=20

So if this is true, why couldn't she help with the driving and why need to drive to Barnard Castle to test his eyesight?

Johnson is up, talking statistics. Number of tests yesterday was only 73 726 of which 38 015 was posted tests. For the second day running the data is unavailable for the number of people tested.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Some serious mental gymnastics that that is what you took from this.

robinph wrote: »
    Expecting Johnson to relax other restrictions now to distract us from Cummings.

HE has no choice. Yesterady he accepted that it is up to each individual to decide for themselves if they need to stick to the restrictions, but far be it from him to mark them down if they don't

THe one thing everyone can agree on is that for restrictions such as those rolled out for Covid-19 to work, the public must be brought along with it.

Johnson chose to tear up that when he stood at the podium yesterday.

The police cannot hope to enforce any regulations, employers are now free to demand any worker comes back since they deem it necessary and safe.

So if this is true, why couldn't she help with the driving and why need to drive to Barnard Castle to test his eyesight?

Johnson is up, talking statistics. Number of tests yesterday was only 73 726 of which 38 015 was posted tests. For the second day running the data is unavailable for the number of people tested.

When have they actually hit a target, even with posted tests, since the first day there was all the hoopla for hitting 100k?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sure they will just say it's fake news in the media....for the newspaper she is an editor for ...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Poor Mr Johnson. Not looking very Churchillian these days. More like Kermit than Winston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

There’s something delicious about this whole debate!!! Looking at Boris struggling here is brilliant! Clowns

Johnson now refusing to answer questions.

Keep it going the rest of the journalists.

• Advertisement

Poor Mr Johnson. Not looking very Churchillian these days. More like Kermit than Winston.

It's an appalling look. Johnson has outsourced himself to Cummings. Holding Cummings accountable means actually doing his job and governing the country instead of going on holiday and procreating with his various mistresses.

H. H. Asquith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement