Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

RTÉ news- still no chance of NI closing schools or pubs- taking their orders from Downing Street - Message to Borris- fck off and conform- you’re fcking up our country with your polices.

Message to Irish govt- close the NI border to non- commercial traffic now,
    They need to take control up there , **** Borris .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Some people getting very angry here. Next thing we'l be burning people at the stake at airports.
    By Friday it'll be someone else to blame. Last week it was Cheltenham and pubs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

RTÉ news- still no chance of NI closing schools or pubs- taking their orders from Downing Street - Message to Borris- fck off and conform- you’re fcking up our country with your polices.

What about the hundreds of people that have to cross the border 2 or 3 times just to drive to the next town/doctor etc.

P.S Who is going to police the border cause I wouldnt fancy doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    But the UK is not in the EU?

Yes it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

JDD wrote: »
    In fairness, some of the 20,000 in Spain are retired people who would spend a couple of months there over the winter. I'm not saying that's all of them, but it would be a good chunk. My friend's parents have an apartment in Tenerife, and are there at the moment.

Not all of them....some on Joe Duffy wondering how they will get back....they went last Thursday! FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Or annex the six counties from the UK for their own good and ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

enda1 wrote: »
    We've paused the CTA before. And we should pause it again. Stopping movement and interaction is the ONLY way to slow/delay the spread of this disease.

Don't think the CTA has ever been paused, there might have been more stringent checks such as during the F&M outbreak but AFAIK it's never been suspended completely.

EDIT SCrub that was suspended 1939-1945 for some reason

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

The real problem is the fcukwits will probably not be effected by the virus but pass it on and potentially kill or make someone very ill.

What about us Government workers, who have been told we must go to work and out kids have no option but to stay with Grandparents?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Sorry just back in I checked lidls page and nothing extra on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,011 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Was trying to figure out the toilet paper shortages myself last week. I came to the following conclusions.

1. The toilet paper shortages are happening mainly because of Australia.
    2. People see Australian shortages and try to get ahead of that.
    3. Australia had reasons (not good reasons) to believe there would be a shortage (importing from China) so people stockpiled.
    4. There are people for whom stocking up on toilet paper makes sense (my parents want to avoid public transport during the crisis so are going to walk to and from a local shop {instead of getting a bus to a bigger shop}. Toilet paper is very annoying to carry when doing a large shop).
    5. People are idiots.
    6. If my shop is out of toilet paper I will find a shop selling toilet paper and stockpile because I don't want hassle of looking for it.

Toilet paper is made in Australia, not imported. I think the panic was caused be extensive media coverage of panic buying of TP in Hong Kong, which is where it started. In Australia, it also was likely due to many of Sino ethnicity descending on shops and buying up large quantities of TP, hand sanitezer and the usual baby forumula, vitamins and other supplements and posting tonnes of stuff back to their relatives in China, many of whom I suspect sold it for profit.

The Chinese in Australia do this on such a scale there have been nationwide shortages as supermarkets country wide have literally been cleaned out and they queue at the door at opening time and rush in as soon as it opens to empty the re-stocked shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Don't think the CTA has ever been paused, there might have been more stringent checks such as during the F&M outbreak but AFAIK it's never been suspended completely.

It was stopped when WW2 broke out

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Travel_Area

spookwoman wrote: »
    Sorry just back in I checked lidls page and nothing extra on it.
    It's on Twitter.
    https://twitter.com/lidl_ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Yes it is.

The EU Commission head lady said that they re considered to be part of the EU(maybe coz they are still “transitioning out”):confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Antibiotics would be useless in treating the cause of Covid-19,being a virus

So nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

is_that_so wrote: »

supermarkets will be about all that is left by then

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

is_that_so wrote: »

And you dispute that? You must be a special kind of idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Anyone hear anything about public servants from other departments being redeployed to help out the HSE?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Yes it is.

They left on January 31st.

It was in news. A lot. Interminably.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

cnocbui wrote: »
    Toilet paper is made in Australia, not imported. I think the panic was caused be extensive media coverage of panic buying of TP in Hong Kong, which is where it started. In Australia, it also was likely due to many of Sino ethnicity descending on shops and buying up large quantities of TP, hand sanitezer and the usual baby forumula, vitamins and other supplements and posting tonnes of stuff back to their relatives in China, many of whom I suspect sold it for profit.

The Chinese in Australia do this on such a scale there have been nationwide shortages as supermarkets country wide have literally been cleaned out and they queue at the door at opening time and rush in as soon as it opens to empty the re-stocked shelves.

60/40 home made to imported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So I assume the travel ban will come into play in the next day or two - UK/Ire just need to say we're on board as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    So nothing?

Not a doctor,but presumably paracetamol,hydration and rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,568 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What about the hundreds of people that have to cross the border 2 or 3 times just to drive to the next town/doctor etc.

P.S Who is going to police the border cause I wouldnt fancy doing it

Fully accepted that policing would be hard but a considerable volume could still be reduced. This is about delaying infection, as nothing will fully prevent it. Our daughter and grandchildren are in NI and we visit every week. A directive to block travel would make the difficult decision not to see them somewhat easier - if nothing else it might help me convince my wife that we need to hold off on seeing them for a while. It may hammer home the message in NI as well, as they are being blindsided by their own government at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

With a deal saying they would be outside the eu but follow all eu rules for a year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Wombatman wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything about public servants from other departments being redeployed to help out the HSE?

Not going to happen at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Been stated in correspondence today internally here.

Peoplepoint email think said it in a roundabout way

supermarkets will be about all that is left by then
    Shops may choose to shut but I don't think there'll be any new advice on it this week. Pharmacies, DIY, pet food, takeaways and the likes will probably still stay open if we get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Yes, we’ve been asked to volunteer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Yes, but all agreements and arrangements stay in place until the end of the year. We are now in the messy divorce negotiation phase and all remains the same until that process concludes.

They needed to wave a few flags about and have a party, so they pretended to their public that they had left there and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Shn99 wrote: »
    Was an ambulance around my area last week, someone had a fall in their house but wasnt 5 mins before the gossip brigade started

and so what tbh?
    we are in the middle of a pandemic and you expect people not to talk?

:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement