Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

This thread doesn't have any positives.we could do with them that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

about 98 billion quid in Eu pension entitlements are probably going to be wiped out , but at the expense of 5.1 million elderly people dying.

The day the pubs re-open is going to be a seshion twice the size of any paddys day, I will fight man woman and child for a pint of plain and a toasty in grogans that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

There will be a massive baby boom next year!

And a bump in divorces. Was evident in China

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Anyone who has shares in Andrex, Kitten Soft etc must be making out like bandits.

I think the general awareness towards personal hygiene, and a degree of personal responsibility for the safety of others is a pretty good thing. Especially, if the virus encourages greater investment in medical research and precautionary operations for any future diseases which could be far worse.

I also think there was a trend in society by many people to become very inward looking and not taking into account how their lives might affect others... that's going to change now.

It's also showing the weaknesses in our politicians and government systems to handle a crisis... which will hopefully lead to practical changes and accountability.

There are positives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I think the general awareness towards personal hygiene, and a degree of personal responsibility for the safety of others is a pretty good thing. Especially, if the virus encourages greater investment in medical research and precautionary operations for any future diseases which could be far worse.

I also think there was a trend in society by many people to become very inward looking and not taking into account how their lives might affect others... that's going to change now.

It's also showing the weaknesses in our politicians and government systems to handle a crisis... which will hopefully lead to practical changes and accountability.

There are positives.

Now there are.

And a bump in divorces. Was evident in China

That's been happening for over 6 years now as the laws regarding divorce changed, along with some of the stigma against divorced women declining. It's nothing to do with the virus. It's the way their society and social values are changing. The majority of divorces last year were by people who had married for just three to five years. It's the problem of not knowing each other well before getting married... and finding married life to be very different especially after the first child is born. In China anyway. Dunno about elsewhere.

Now there are.

They were mentioned earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,846 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I had trouble making up my mind about what to do for Mother's Day. Now everywhere is closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Diesel prices have come down a lot in the last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

the planet itself is unquestionably better off if there are fewer of us around, and it doesn't particularly matter in planetary terms which demographic of humans get reduced. There are too many of us and something has to give eventually,

At the risk of being pedantic, this is conflating "the planet" with humanity and current environment and ecosystems. Doubtless humanity, or at least its future prospects, will be better off when there are fewer humans around, but the planet doesn't care. The planet was fine when the atmosphere was too poisonous to support human life, and the planet will still be fine when it gets that way again. The planet will also be fine when the elephants, pandas, whales etc are all gone. It will be fine when the rain forests and glaciers are gone. New species of flora and fauna will emerge that can live in the conditions that humans and other species can't tolerate. The planet is 4.5 billion years old and humanity has been on it for less than an eye-blink of that time, not unlike a mosquito landing on skin and being promptly slapped into oblivion. Needless to say, the planet doesn't give two hoots about COVID-19 either.

This is not an anti-environmentalist point, just a pro-accuracy one, and I think it's also a point that those concerned about climate change should be making. We should be careful with the environment not for the sake of the planet, but for the sake of us.

House prices may go through the floor, good news for me as i am looking to buy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Clocks change on the 29th March. 1 hour of extra light in the evenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Collie D wrote: »
    I read all of that in a cartoon villain voice

Like plotline from a dark Captain Planet reboot, where the Cap takes a heel turn and engineers a deadly virus for a nefarious environmental-fascist purge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J_1980

Japan has only 6 new cases, Korea +74.

The only lasting effect of this crisis will be the superiority of the Asian economic and society model: Strong state when needed and self-responsibility of every individual in everyday life. The cost of nanny welfare state as a lifestyle is simply not financially viable. You need to run surpluses in the boom to cover the expenditures in crisis.

We are lucky to be on the edge of europe so we got a bit of a heads up.

Lucky it hit at a time when there was very little tourists coming into the country, if it had happened during Paddy's day with loads of tourists and locals arriving back home for the weekend we would have been up the creek sans paddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

pgj2015 wrote: »

better pray the banks aren't made have a moratorium on mortgage and loan payments so, that happens and no mortgages for nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

J_1980 wrote: »

The only lasting effect of this crisis will be the superiority of the Asian economic and society model: Strong state when needed and self-responsibility of every individual in everyday life. The cost of nanny welfare state as a lifestyle is simply not financially viable. You need to run surpluses in the boom to cover the expenditures in crisis.

I'd suggest living in these cultures for a bit before declaring their superiority. Korea screwed up their response to MERS a number of years back which is why they've responded well to this. I wouldn't be sure about Japan's numbers, they're not testing to the level of Korea and are preoccupied with making sure the Olympics doesn't get cancelled.

Welfare is a non-sequitur

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

What are peoples thoughts how covid19 will affect the Housing crisis?
    Rents certainly will not be increasing anytime soon as far as I can see in fact I would think there will be a dramatic decrease in rental prices and house prices due to unemployment. Then again there is the possibility that there will be slowdowns in the building industry which would push prices up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Mary Lou has gone missing.... only positive I can think of
    Didn't vote for FG but think they're doing a stellar job actually
    Wonder if the election had been called later would we have seen a different result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

pgj2015 wrote: »

I might buy two :D

im working away at the moment but if work slows down I am gonna meet up with friends I havent seen much of lately, some are off work because of the corona virus, some are working from home. we might go hiking or meet up for a few drinks at home. work gets in the way of friends meeting as much as they did when they had no responsibilities or jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

maxsmum wrote: »
    Didn't vote for FG but think they're doing a stellar job actually

yep, Leo Varadkar has really stepped up to the mark these past few days showing good leadership - his medical background is coming to the fore

Thank god SF aren't in charge - they would be out of their depth completely

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

Quieter outside. I can hear birds instead of cars.

• Advertisement

this crisis has me thinking already that I work too much and dont go out or on holidays as much as I should, when things get back to normal im gonna change that. id say this crisis will be a wake up call to a lot of people, say you are an italian guy who is a workaholic and all he cares about is money, he is now locked into his apartment/house like a prisoner in mountjoy, when he gets out he is gonna realize what life is really all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Someone updated on Twitter: The real winner of this pandemic are the nations's dogs, who are experiencing unprecedented levels of People Being Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strathspey

In the same way that the new democratic structures of the former Eastern Europe were able to claim restitution for past communist endeavours would the world not be within their right to claim restitution from the Chinese government, through the WTO for example, for having facilitated the nurturing of the SARS epidemic and the Covid-19 pandemic by not closing down their wildlife markets and clamping down on mythical remedies like rhino horn for impotence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 GiveawayReborn

J_1980 wrote: »

This well be how European society changes in the longterm in response to this crisis. Will miss the old freedoms and the lack of conformity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

Now is the time to finally eradicate the world from nits and headlice.

I propose that everyone in the world undergoes head lice treatment on a certain day. The social distancing will make it so that nits will have no where to go and become extinct.

We can also do this for the common cold and other diseases if it works for nits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm generally obsessed with money I always work towards the nice clothes, car, money to blow. Right now I'll be happy just to earn a small wage and have food. Its a strange feeling for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

A guy up the road from me ploughed a small field and sowed a half acre of toilet roll.

strathspey wrote: »
    In the same way that the new democratic structures of the former Eastern Europe were able to claim restitution for past communist endeavours would the world not be within their right to claim restitution from the Chinese government, through the WTO for example, for having facilitated the nurturing of the SARS epidemic and the Covid-19 pandemic by not closing down their wildlife markets and clamping down on mythical remedies like rhino horn for impotence.

They could try, and receive a middle finger in response. The Chinese are already suggesting that the original transmission of the virus happened not in Wuhan, but likely outside their borders, but simply popped up on the radar in Wuhan. Also the link with wet markets is a theory, and not something that has been proven.

In any case, to suggest that China was responsible, and expect a favorable response shows a complete lack of understanding of Chinese culture. Nobody is to blame except for whatever/whoever scapegoat they find. The PRC will not accept responsibility for something like this, because Chinese culture prohibits accepting responsibility. It would be a massive loss of face to admit such a thing, and would mean the end of the Communist party as a ruling body.

So. Not going to happen. Trying to push China into making restitution would fuel the anti-foreign sentiment both within the party and the general population.. leading to far more aggressive behavior in Asia. Think the versailles treaty with Germany, but with Hitler already in power when it's accepted. The rhetoric, and speeches would galvanize the hardliners (of which there are tens/hundreds of millions) into support for conflict. Simply to show that they're not weak and refuse to be bullied by the West. Again. They have never forgotten past perceived slights by western nations going all the way back to the Boxer revolution..

So.. if you want a genuine World War with a nuclear power not afraid to use (and no morals against the use of) nuclear/chemical/biological weapons... then sure... it's a wonderful idea.

Or just be diplomatic, and be patient while China stumbles along trying to shut down the exotic trade, and the wet markets themselves. I'd say the wet markets will be gone in a decade, and the exotic trade will disappear underground in a major way. Given time, they'll fix these problems themselves, simply because the Communist party cannot allow such a system to continue because they don't control it. Internal Public image is important to them, and the virus has become very public.. they'll make the right moves, because they need to regain the faith of those who are angry over mistreatment or stupidity during the quarantine.

Seeking an apology or restitution will not solve the problem. Understanding Chinese culture and supporting China in this will. You could also push for wet markets to end in the rest of Asia, and Africa too. Along with greater checks on the exotic trade which is already illegal, but do so at source rather than at China. It'll be far more likely to produce a favorable result than pushing China into a corner.

Loads of people out walking this afternoon. The sun will lift spirits.
    Noticing lots of young families out walking and cycling this last few days. It's great to see. Hopefuly the habit will stick with people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

anewme wrote: »
    Someone updated on Twitter: The real winner of this pandemic are the nations's dogs, who are experiencing unprecedented levels of People Being Home.

More walkies.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I’m happy for the dogs that live in nice loving houses of owners.
    But what about all the families living in small apartments, I mean 1 beds with 1 or 2 young child’s, or 2 beds with 3 kids. These are families where parents are working but are in their situation because of the property market whenever they bought or didn’t buy. How does these families self isolate?? Do all adults get sick together and kids then go crazy indoors??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I’m happy for the dogs that live in nice loving houses of owners.
    But what about all the families living in small apartments, I mean 1 beds with 1 or 2 young child’s, or 2 beds with 3 kids. These are families where parents are working but are in their situation because of the property market whenever they bought or didn’t buy. How does these families self isolate?? Do all adults get sick together and kids then go crazy indoors??

Probably.?

Possibly.?

No idea.?

I posted on this thread about the dogs because it's about positives and the pets are a source of calm/support throughout this time.

There are many threads already for negatives of the Virus.

There definetly won't be a mini-riot in Dublin this Paddy's Day.

This must be one of the lowest crime-rates we've had in ages.

I know a couple of people who can really do with a break from the pub. They probably had to use a tractor to pull them away from the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,528 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ticket tout trade has fallen off.

• Advertisement

They could be a potential positive although I am sceptical as to whether it will actually happen is the idea of keeping the economy going so called helicopter money an idea where the government for example gives everyone with a bank account in the country €1,000 or hopefully more.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Criminality and the drug trade to take a HIT, as these scumbags need the cover of people to operate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,528 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

terenc wrote: »
    Criminality and the drug trade to take a HIT, as these scumbags need the cover of people to operate.

Hard to burgle a house with most everyone indoors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Sinn Fein to go back into there box and leave the running of the country to real politicians!
    Hopefully people wil not forget what this standby government have done in times of trouble while others climbed under there rocks and no where to be seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

A&E departments might be less packed with people who have no real need to be there. I'm sure there are a lot less idiots with very little wrong with them sitting in there these days.

Sinn Fein to go back into there box and leave the running of the country to real politicians!
    Hopefully people wil not forget what this standby government have done in times of trouble while others climbed under there rocks and no where to be seen

Bit early to be praising this standby government...

hopefully the people will not forget what happened before the virus too. Irish politics needs a serious shakeup with consideration about the suitability of the politicians, and their general behavior during this crisis.

As for real politicians.. Meh.

Maybe all other businesses except the betting industry ones will re-open.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Braids

Also now is the time to QUIT SMOKING.
    Breath deep - get through the average 7 minutes of craving and then move on. Keep busy. Chew gum (lesser evil).

Why are you paying big bucks anyway for a Director of the Cigarette company to enjoy their life (most don't smoke - betcha didn't know that) while Ladies/Gents you are developing eye wrinkles, polluted lungs and additionally related health problems connected with your smokes?

I type medical GP letters and reports for a living and the main concern of medical Consultants is - if the patient is a smoker.

QUIT. Remember if anything in life is worth wanting, it's life itself. Be beautiful - grow to love and protect yourself during this time.

Braids wrote: »
    Also now is the time to QUIT SMOKING.
    Breath deep - get through the average 7 minutes of craving and then move on. Keep busy. Chew gum (lesser evil).

Why are you paying big bucks anyway for a Director of the Cigarette company to enjoy their life (most don't smoke - betcha didn't know that) while Ladies/Gents you are developing eye wrinkles, polluted lungs and additionally related health problems connected with your smokes?

I type medical GP letters and reports for a living and the main concern of medical Consultants is - if the patient is a smoker.

QUIT. Remember if anything in life is worth wanting, it's life itself. Be beautiful - grow to love and protect yourself during this time.

While I have no issue with other people making their own personal choice to stop smoking... bugger off. Seriously. My smoking habit is none of your business. Look to your own affairs.

• Advertisement

I don't think that that stop smoking suggestion was aimed at anyone personally.

of course it may not be a great time for some in a time of anxiety to do so.

although there is no point ignoring the fact that smoking does increase the possibility of a severe case if one contracts covid-19

Advertisement