Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Not a positive. And evidence of any of the total lack of respect for the elderly and what they've done, economic benefit or otherwise.

That's along the same lines as saying the positive of a mass shooting is that a company will reap money from selling the ammunition.

For all the ignorant pricks joking about mass deaths of the elderly freeing up housing, sorting out pension issues, they won't be some smugly flippant about peoples loved ones being wiped out if Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 does a Spanish flu on it and comes back next season with a new age profile in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The number of arts and crafts hobbies will pick up, leading to better mental health.
    My husband looks forward to continue painting his Warhammer miniatures when we spend the majority of the time indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

LirW wrote: »
    My husband looks forward to continue painting his Warhammer miniatures when we spend the majority of the time indoors.

i plan to be riding my bike on my own !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

The HSE getting a revamp and a clean out of useless hangers on and dead weight.

My wife is a front-line HSE-employed health worker and the amount of employees who are resistant to change, just for the sake of resisting change, drives her nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Old people dying is being optimistic in your view? Good man.

I absolutely did not say that?. Old people will die unfortunately - thinking this will "fix" the pension crisis or the HSE is silly stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Firefork

i plan to be riding my bike on my own !

Great excuse not to take a pillion either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Let's keep things positive folks.

I used to fish a lot (trout, pike etc). I haven't done it in years.
    On Saturday I am going to dig out the fishing gear and resume my hunter practices. Quite looking forward to it now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm weirdly confident that when we are having to kick start our economy after this has passed (whenever that may be) the government will have to ensure that leisure facilities are able to acquire insurance.

FTA69 wrote: »
    There seems to be an almost blasé attitude amongst some on the effect this is going to have on our population. 'Well it'll reduce the amount of elderly dependents' etc.

I wonder will people be as cavalier when their granny is dying in a hospital that doesn't have enough ventilators.

My grandparents are dead already so that's not an issue... but what about my parents who are in their 70s? Or close friends who are in their late 50s? Or nieces/nephews under 10 years old? That's all dangerous territory.

There's a lot retarded notions going on with regards to this crisis. Viruses can mutate. Now is definitely not the time to relaxing and dismissing the risks. The virus hasn't been fully mapped out and dealt with. It's not as if we won't see it change over the next 8-12 months before a vaccine is found and manufactured in the numbers needed...

I think people are looking at this like it's going to be a short term thing... it's not. It's going to be with us for at least a year, if not longer...

As a selfish positive, I'm hoping to see the ebook area really kick off, and to see some serious attention by readers, as opposed to print (Since I have a fantasy book coming out soon). It'll be interesting to see how traditional publishers deal with the slowdown in physical shops, and the inability for authors to do book signing or other promotional methods.

• Advertisement

My grandparents are dead already so that's not an issue... but what about my parents who are in their 70s? Or close friends who are in their late 50s? Or nieces/nephews under 10 years old? That's all dangerous territory.

There's a lot retarded notions going on with regards to this crisis. Viruses can mutate. Now is definitely not the time to relaxing and dismissing the risks. The virus hasn't been fully mapped out and dealt with. It's not as if we won't see it change over the next 8-12 months before a vaccine is found and manufactured in the numbers needed...

I think people are looking at this like it's going to be a short term thing... it's not. It's going to be with us for at least a year, if not longer...

I am struggling to read the positive here? :confused:

Is this thread mutating?

Infections rates have fallen off a cliff in china?

More people will be diagonised here today than there most likely,

On a positive note,anyone with a good stock of weed,should make a killing over next 2 weeks with all the teenagers off and nothing to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

As a selfish positive, I'm hoping to see the ebook area really kick off, and to see some serious attention by readers, as opposed to print (Since I have a fantasy book coming out soon). It'll be interesting to see how traditional publishers deal with the slowdown in physical shops, and the inability for authors to do book signing or other promotional methods.
    100%. E-learning and e-publishing will take a massive boost. Already the uk's money man just announced the other day, he's removing the 20% VAT on all digital publishing, even (online)newspapers. All will now be 'zero-rate'. They forgot to take it off audiobooks however, not sure why.

When the markets do recover (July/Aug) stocks like Pearson Publishing (PSON/PSO) might be useful. However the (small) risk remains of Wave2, November mutations etc.

I am struggling to read the positive here? :confused:

Is this thread mutating?

It would be a positive if people stopped acting like muppets, wouldn't it? :D

Infections rates have fallen off a cliff in china?

Sure, and yet I still haven't been recalled to work at my Chinese university. Wonder why that is? Because they know that this could spiral out of control again once they restart everything. That's why they're restarting in stages, because they don't want another Wuhan...
    On a positive note,anyone with a good stock of weed,should make a killing over next 2 weeks with all the teenagers off and nothing to do

Not just teenagers.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

iguana wrote: »
    I'm weirdly confident that when we are having to kick start our economy after this has passed (whenever that may be) the government will have to ensure that leisure facilities are able to acquire insurance.

Only way thats happening is if we round up all the compo claiments and their solicitors and out them on an island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nothing is all bad so what might be the upside for this pandemic.

I'll go with

Less pollution and cleaner air (ironically). The slowdown in economic activity esp flights and heavy industry in China has already seem measurable improvement.

china_trop_2020056.0.png

Do some gardening. The weather is about to pick up finally with a high pressure area building in from the south next week (northern half of Ireland may not get this weather). Get out and make a bed for growing salad greens and sow some carrots and spuds for later in the year. Turn the top third of your back lawn into a bee and butterfly meadow.

3337u.jpg

Read that book you've been meaning to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Stocks becoming cheap. Fire sale at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Could do a good bit to solve the housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

A de-globalisation effect will take effect to some extent.

China is in for a whuppin' for the way they live, long overdue.

People get to experience the other side of diversity: the diversity of disease, the diversity of economy, the diversity from permeable borders etc. Reality, as usual, isn't so bleedin' rosey.

Tis all gas, I tells ye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

We could have weeks of riding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The commute'll be shorter with the kids at school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭MakingMovies2

Hopefully the virus will kill off all the brex****, fat spaffer Johnson and drumpf voters. The pros far outweigh the cons. They don't care about anyone so why should I care about those old morons. I'll revel in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

less gougers on the street as a result > less crime??

but then again the gougers might see this as an opportunity to rob shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

It's seems to be ok to keep spitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0312/1121915-hoax-covid-19-aer-lingus/

shows you how swift irish justice can be when it wants

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

One would hope people will wake up and see this as a complete hoax.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

leavingirl wrote: »
    One would hope people will wake up and see this as a complete hoax.

Care to tell those that have died to wake up and that it's all a hoax?

I'm sure they'll be delighted.

I might buy an Xbox or some gaming console. I am in my mid 40s and have never owned one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

iguana wrote: »

I was chatting with a fitness instructor who does group classes this morning before the announcement. My wife’s idea was genius, start doing live feed classes. I said I’d give him some ideas I had if he wanted but he needed to start communicating now. He contacted me less then an hour later and I worked a bit with him to come up with some ideas. I don’t want him to go out Of business and think he actually has a chance to make a massive shift to online classes while we are all stuck at home.

He can even do workouts with his kids so families can get involved, we will do it with our kids. We met a nutritionist in Aldi and I said she should try and piggyback on it to get locals working on nutrition while at home.

We are a resourceful bunch in Ireland. I’m really encouraged by our government and authority’s who I feel have taken massive steps this week. There’s actually lots of things we can do over the coming weeks that we couldn’t or wouldn’t do if we were still in the rat race. I appreciate it’s going to be harder for some more then others, but I think many can maybe learn things, get closer to family or just try to learn to relax.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

A (small) positive I heard today................. (Pinch of salt).............
    Guy from outside Dublin has developed something that kills the coronavirus while it is airborne.
    We don't have the facilities to help him here, and he offered it to China in January. They refused.
    Apparently now he has offers, but is in the process of developing it further somewhere in Portlaoise.
    I am not sure where or how effective (or real) it is to people that have already been infected, but it seems it can help prevent infection.
    He has history with disease and does a lot of research, that's all I know...

I heard a very broken story from somebody that didn't really have a notion what they were telling us. But, it's a small ray of light, like a pinprick in a massive black sheet.

Advertisement