Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

There are a number of positives:

1. Lower house prices in many locations.

2. Lower interest rates generally.

3. A la Buffett... In a short while it'll be the time to be greedy in the stock market while others are fearful. All the hardest hit stocks ( airlines etc ) should recover spectacularly well.

4.The public might support proper funding/resourcing of the health services going forward after the blood toll the staff are about to pay.

5. Introverts will be proven right all along.

6. Working from home will become commonplace in lots of sector.

7. People will understand a lot more about epidemiology and exponentiality.

I wouldn't trade any or all of that for a loved one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fuel prices have dropped considerably, ...can someone explain that..i would have thought if anything they'd go up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

fryup wrote: »
    fuel prices have dropped considerably, ...can someone explain that..i would have thought if anything they'd go up

That's a result of a price war between the Russians and the Arabs, not directly related to the virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

fryup wrote: »

Simply, supply has increased. An OPEC agreement with Russia to restrict oil production fell apart, OPEC wanted it reduced to keep prices high but Russia refused.
    Saudi have removed limits on it's oil production and the decrease in price, due to the extra supply, is going to put a lot of financial pressure on Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

People might realise there isn't a finite amount of money and SFs right to housing idea is a farce.

Hopefully people will realise in order to move forward everyone has to do their part and not expect the government or other people to hold their hand from cradle to the grave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

It's all doom and gloom on the main thread but what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

Top of my head...

- More employers will start working-from-home policies (where possible) and there will much less stigma around it in the future

- People will get to spend more time with their families and local communities this Spring

- Due to home working, there will be less traffic congestion on the roads and less people commuting for excessive hours every week

- People will develop better hygiene practices

- People will eat healthier, drink less and sleep more in order to build up their immune system

- The reduction in economic activity will have a positive effect on the environment and help countries meet their climate change targets

- Less pointless consumerism

- Food retailers will make increased profits due to stockpiling (much of which will probably get binned in the long run)

- The number of people that contract flu this year will diminish due to better hygiene standards at all levels

- We will finally fully acknowledge how inadequate our health service is and perhaps do something meaningful about it

- We may even get a national government who will focus on fixing major problems in Ireland rather than votes in the next election7

- People will eat more locally produced food

-

TLDR

People will srink MORE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is there an element of natural selection going on here? The old and sick are most likely die.

Well thanks for that! I'll just toddle off and save the virus the work of finding me! :pac:

I'd say boards.ie overlords are happy as the site is getting much more activity right now.

Plenty of upsides to this - the weather is going to pick up (honest), and people will have time to go for long walks on their own with a notebook lest they be inspired by the views to compose some poetry, gardens will get worked on, the DIY trade could do well if people are not spending in the pub. Takeaways shall thrive once people realise it's a safe way to get nosh with the rest of the pub budget. Fewer planes flying means a cleaner upper atmosphere and take off lanes at low level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 TravelTiger

10wks away from peak in real terms, then another 10wks of epicurve reversal/reduction, so get used to the comfy joggers or lounge suit for a good bit longer than end of the month.

July/Aug should be fine, even post-pandemic optimistic.
    But beware of a November Wave2.0

Er. Any chance of a source on all of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Leave animals alone maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't really genuinely think there's anything positive.
    Agreed when it comes to the virus itself and its consequences.

I will say though that medical advancements have made it possible to identify the virus super quickly, progress is smooth for vaccination production (even though it'll take a long time for it to come into use - but it is on schedule), the internet is a superb tool for immediate updates/instructions/recommendations, and things would be more f'ucked if it was only 20-25 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Ferm001

We might see an improvement in mass. With most services now suspended, a lot are going out on webcam, so they will have to up their game to keep view numbers.

Watched our local lad last night, and wasn't good, but mumbly, and didn't appear prepared.

Any suggestions of a more entertaining mass for this Sunday morning would be appreciated.

This could be a turning point for the church, go more tv evangelist, scrolling phone number across bottom of screen for donations and dues payments etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Ferm001 wrote: »
    We might see an improvement in mass. With most services now suspended, a lot are going out on webcam, so they will have to up their game to keep view numbers.

Watched our local lad last night, and wasn't good, but mumbly, and didn't appear prepared.

Any suggestions of a more entertaining mass for this Sunday morning would be appreciated.

This could be a turning point for the church, go more tv evangelist, scrolling phone number across bottom of screen for donations and dues payments etc.

Are you suggesting the church should embrace change?

Try saying that to yourself a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Ferm001

Are you suggesting the church should embrace change?

Try saying that to yourself a few times.

I know it a hard thing to comprehend, but these are extraordinary times.

I've seen enough bad tv shows to know that when all the toilet roll is gone, the masses will look for some religious lunatic to follow.

Might as well be some of these lads.

I know it a hard thing to comprehend, but these are extraordinary times.

I've seen enough bad tv shows to know that when all the toilet roll is gone, the masses will look for some religious lunatic to follow.

Might as well be some of these lads.

It’s a bit early be drinking, but I will give this a go.

Because you have watched a lot of bad TV shows you know that once people run out of toilet paper they will turn to religion. The only part of what your saying that makes sense to me is describing religions people as lunatics.

What’s the possibility that instead of finding divinity with a dirty bum the won’t just go to the shop and getmore toilet paper?

I wonder how many more subscribers Netflix are getting? Their share price could easily increase from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Markx

Is there an element of natural selection going on here? The old and sick are most likely die.

No it's not natural selection at this point. If the virus continued to exist for a few generations and some lineages developed an immunity, then maybe.

It is probably at all times correct to say the old and sick are most likely to die, outside of catastrophic events which are undiscriminating.

• Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

All Posts

I would just like to say thank you for your invaluable information in the last few weeks. I have been following you from the start and it has been clear that you are to be taken seriously, despite the best efforts of some idiots.

I have been relaying your info. to family, friends and at work over the last few weeks, some of who were dubious at first. At work they began to come to me to see what was going to happen next. I tell them the info is coming from an epidemiologist, wanting them to know it's a credible source.

I know you did this purely from a moral obligation standpoint so... if I took heed, I'm sure many others are.

There has been a lot of whinging about Boards over the last number of years, but threads like the Coronavirus thread (despite all the rabble) are what make it worth while.

Good luck to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Housing crisis solved

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I can't wait for Mass on Twitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

We could have weeks of riding.

Years if it goes well!

Flowers, sex, reading, hardly any pesky people around. Awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Here's my lockdown plan outside of Wfh. Very important to keep the mind occupied.

- Learning Guitar, bought one for this event
    - Learning IT networks course with Cisco Onlibe
    - Going to learn Spanish.
    -Download a heap of books for kindle

According to this source the recent outbreak may have saved more Chinese people than it has killed.

"The reduction in air pollution in China as a result of COVID-19 has saved the lives of 4,000 children under 5, and 73,000 adults over 70."

http://www.g-feed.com/2020/03/covid-19-reduces-economic-activity.html

And that is just for China countless more around the world have probably been saved by the reduction in a traffic and as well as cruise ship traffic. There is also the possibility that some people that are now working from home may never have to go back to the office as companies will realise employees can be just as productive while working at home. This of course will reduce the amount of vehicles on the road and the pollution they cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

I'll catch up on the work I'm behind on.

I often thought I wish I could stop time for a week or two to catch up on the work I'm behind on. Now that I have the chance, I'm like...meh! I'll start tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

With all the virus three ring circus I didn't realise that yesterday was Friday the 13th, which usually freaks me out a small bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

For all the talks of an economic crash the Dow Jones index is higher than it was in all of 2015 and 2016 and most of 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Housing crisis solved

And the trolley crisis too.

No-one seems to be bad enough to be sitting in an A&E for 48hrs now.

And that is just for China countless more around the world have probably been saved by the reduction in a traffic and as well as cruise ship traffic. There is also the possibility that some people that are now working from home may never have to go back to the office as companies will realise employees can be just as productive while working at home. This of course will reduce the amount of vehicles on the road and the pollution they cause.

The flip side being the increased usage of electricity in the home, along with greater amount of eating as people are more likely to nibble at home vs at work. Everything will have a cost to balance with the gain..

And as for China, I'm skeptical since a large percentage of their electricity produced for the cities is still based on fossil fuels. They were/are converting them, but... In Xi'an, for example, normally you'd be getting pollution based fog right up until June. It certainly improved over the years, but depending on the city, the pollution comes from different sources. For Whuan, or Chongqing, the pollution would have decreased drastically due to the reduction in traffic..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

For all the talks of an economic crash the Dow Jones index is higher than it was in all of 2015 and 2016 and most of 2017.

Maybe this whole thing will put an end to people claiming the stock market is a predictor of anything when in reality it's just reacting to people's actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

In the office I work many people have really disgusting habits, in terms of coughing, sneezing and snuffing. There is 1 particular fella, he is in his mid 50s and he sneezes on average 5 times a day, but he just openly sneezes without a care in the world without even blocking it. Hopefully people will change their disgusting habits as a result of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

5. Introverts will be proven right all along.

About time too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

To turn back to God and make yourself right, giving the increasing atheist society we now live in that's controlled by the mass produced mainstream media.

LOL

Science will give us the vaccine, random god worshiping will give us nothing as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Here's my lockdown plan outside of Wfh. Very important to keep the mind occupied.

- Learning Guitar, bought one for this event
    - Learning IT networks course with Cisco Onlibe
    - Going to learn Spanish.
    -Download a heap of books for kindle

That's a pretty full list. More power to you.

I'm an I.T. person the wrong side of 50 looking for a career change but I'm having trouble deciding which area, so now I have more time to think things through and do some studying. Also, this crisis may open up some new opportunities; I think the IT landscape is likely to change as a result of this crisis, with increased adoption of remote working and conferencing.

That aside I'll be learning an extremely extensive set of WW2 boardgame rules and getting the hang of my first DSLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

My house has never been so clean!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

In our office, people usually fight like cats and dogs. Department A whinges about Department B, IT and HR cant ever do anything without getting slated and so on.

This crisis has brought people together in a way that no amount 'team bonding days' ever could.

People are helping each other and looking out for each other in a genuine way. Politics are out the window.

If we get through it, there will be a massive boost in team spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,302 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Boards.ie is heaving!

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I think the environmental benefits from how there's much less pollution. This is how the pollution should be all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

This is how the pollution should be all the time.

There shouldn't be pollution any time! but I know what you mean.

One good thing I suppose, There's a focus on everyone's health and wellbeing for once everything else seems to be taking a back seat, certainly not a bad side effect......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I believe there is some lovely dry weather coming mid next week. Great weather for walking/hiking/cycling etc.
    Also the clocks change at the end of March which will mean light until 8pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

The poison that is Facebook & WhatsApp will see a dramatic fall in its users because of the absolute skum who use it to spread panic and lies for no other reason than just being sad trolls

The poison that is Facebook & WhatsApp will see a dramatic fall in its users because of the absolute skum who use it to spread panic and lies for no other reason than just being sad trolls

I doubt it. My two teenage nieces are essentially locked up in their rooms constantly on such apps, or sites. Social media will continue to grow regardless of the scum who behave that way on it. Look at twitter. It's a cesspit, and has been for many years, but it's stayed pretty strong for many people.

Nah. Social media will continue to spread itself within society. It's a horrible thing to see but it's here to stay, and will be worse given time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Seen alot of people out walking today some i seen twice or 3 times. If this keeps up we will become one of the fittest healthiest nations around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Hopefully people will learn that washing hands and using tissues are normal things to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

It's all doom and gloom on the main thread but what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

Top of my head...

- More employers will start working-from-home policies (where possible) and there will much less stigma around it in the future

- People will get to spend more time with their families and local communities this Spring

- Due to home working, there will be less traffic congestion on the roads and less people commuting for excessive hours every week

- People will develop better hygiene practices

- People will eat healthier, drink less and sleep more in order to build up their immune system

- The reduction in economic activity will have a positive effect on the environment and help countries meet their climate change targets

- Less pointless consumerism

- Food retailers will make increased profits due to stockpiling (much of which will probably get binned in the long run)

- The number of people that contract flu this year will diminish due to better hygiene standards at all levels

- We will finally fully acknowledge how inadequate our health service is and perhaps do something meaningful about it

- We may even get a national government who will focus on fixing major problems in Ireland rather than votes in the next election7

- People will eat more locally produced food

-

I find your post contradictory, you say people will be more hygienic then you start rabbiting on about people building up their immune systems. To build up your immune system you need to stop being to hygienic. You also seem to be lapping up climate alarmism and think the practices surrounding the corona virus will help stop the climate from changing or whatever you believe about it. You need to do some proper research around the real reason of climate scare stories because it’s not what you believe.

o1s1n wrote: »
    If god exists, it means he made this virus.

In that case he can go **** himself.

Maybe it was the devil,

GM228 wrote: »
    Biggest (and realistically only) positive of all this thus far is the drop in oil prices.

Except when oil prices drop everything else follows suit and that includes wages, recession follows. Do you still think the oil price drop is a positive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Will any other disease find it hard to spread if big parts of the world go into lockdown? Be great if the common cold managed to eventually go out the door with the Corona and there's plenty other diseases we could do without.

Unfortunately there are loads of them that kind of bounce around the animal kingdom for a while to lay low before setting their sights on those pesky humans again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I've had enough of the doomsday predictions and constant bad news every day. Every now and then I'll see a snippet of good news related to this mess and it cheers me up no end so here's a small bit of that good news to start off

https://twitter.com/DrMattMcCarthy/status/1238939403206221824?s=19

Positive vibes only please :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭revelman

Continuing the positive vibes, I posted this on another thread but look at what happened to the SARS pandemic in 2003. It basically burned out by July. There are a lot of unknowns about COVID19 but it is quite similar in makeup to the first SARS. While there is some transmission in the southern hempishere at the moment, such transmissions are mostly associated with travel and then the ensuing local transmission. We are not finding sustained community transmission in the Southern Hemisphere where it is summer at the moment. This bodes well for summer in the northern hemisphere and is a reason to be hopeful I think.
    1920px-2003_Probable_cases_of_SARS_-_Worldwide.svg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Winterstale

Great to hear some positive words. I know people are scared right now but I do think the doomsday moaning brigade are revelling in it. Sad losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

I'm holding onto the good news. The bits that are good get swallowed up in the other thread and people don't even comment on them. Why don't they? This news has I'm sure given hope.

• Advertisement
Advertisement