Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Documentary recommendation thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Just watched the first one of these. TBH I wasn't shocked until I seen the last little guy Glen who is obviously Autistic (both myself and my daughter are autistic so could see it straight away), being called a psychopath! Sorry people I don't know how to put a spoiler on it 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Don't know if it's been mentioned on this thread previously but the BBC documentary, Murder Trial: The disappearance of Margaret Fleming. Very interesting and sad case, you really wouldn't know which way it was going to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A really great look at Sinead from her early life till just after her appearance on Saturday Night Live and ripping up the picture of the Pope and you now see how much of a catalyst for change she was by becoming one of the most hated women in the USA.

Crazy to see now 30 years later that the USA is taking away womens rights again.

Nothing Compares

Those eyes and that smile she was a stunning looking woman at that time in her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

If you can stomach it, John Wayne Gacy: The Missing Tapes. It’s 3 episodes on Netflix. Shocking stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

This is on tomorrow night at 10.25 on BBC4, worth a watch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Island of the Sea Wolves, from Netflix. Honestly did not know there were such wolves. Oct 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Not exactly a documentary, but I happened upon 72: A Gathering of Champions - they've brought 11 gold medallists from Munich 72 back for the 50th anniversary - mixing footage from the visit this year with footage and commentary from the Games.

Mad seeing and hearing from all the names that are so familiar from that time. Olga Korbut was/has quite the ego!

Ep 1 and 2 avl on Sky Go/Eurosport, not sure when the other episodes will be shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I recorded and watched a documentary recently called 'I Am Not Your Negro'. I can't remember which channel it was on but I think it is a Netflix production. I was transfixed by the eloquence of James Baldwin and shocked and horrified by the scenes it showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If you like the White Stripes there's a good documentary on sky called, the White Stripes: Under Great White northern lights about a random Canadian tour they did.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,784 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Drain the Oceans on National Geographic is a solid documentary series... no shaky cam presenter sent on staged errands.

There was an interesting episode about Hollywood back in the 30s buying surplus navy ships to use in blockbusters.

Episode I'm watching now is about Venetian shipwrecks.

Plays out like a National Geographic article on screen.

Also maritime themed, another solid series is Secrets of the Lost Liners on Sky History. Still available on demand.

https://www.history.co.uk/shows/secrets-of-the-lost-liners

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Sins of our Mother on Netflix is all kinds of odd, typical Netflix doc.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

GodForbid: The Sex Scandal That Brought Down a Dynasty on November 1 on Hulu. (Maybe on Disney+ here??)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,813 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I remember some of that scandal alright...juicy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Odelay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭sporina

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭horse7

Bbc4 House of Splinters on now is horrific.

Reclaiming Amy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Would love to see this but cant find it anywhere

Hans Zimmer: Hollywood Rebel

Really enjoyable doc on iPlayer, what a career!

• Advertisement

Excellent three part documentary on channel 4 called the disappearance of April Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

For those of you without expensive subscription services.... National Geographic series "Drain the Oceans" are pretty decent...and available free on YouTube. 👍

This one is probably the one that will get the most clicks

Nazi Secrets (Full Episode) | Drain the Oceans 👇

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Seen it recommended earlier here, The Rescue on Disney+ is fantastic.

Aftershock on Netflix about the earthquake on everest is very good.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 32,938 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watched the one about the volcano eruption on White Island in NZ.

Good enough, but jez what some of those people suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,784 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hitlers Jazz Band

A Sky documentary about a jazz band used by the Nazis to spread English language propaganda over the airwaves and to POWs.

Lots of the original recordings.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Watching the volcano on white island now, really enjoying it. Horrific stuff

Post edited by Larsso30 on

• Registered Users Posts: 81,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Liked Branson on Now TV, always thought he was a bit of a bellend but thought more of him after watching it.

For the Volcano fans I would recommend Fire of love...on Disney+...bonkers....looks absolutely stunning...now I know where Wes Anderson nicked his aesthetic from!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Touching The Void

Up on Netflix now, as good a suffer fest as you'd want to see.

Advertisement