Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documentary recommendation thread

Options

Comments

Documentary on Theodore Roosevelt on sky history. Two part, good production value, Leonardo di caprio is a producer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Thanks, nabbed that for later.

I cant find this one anywhere and it looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

BBC4 will be airing the PBS / Ken Burns series "The US and the Holocaust" starting Monday 9th. His work is usually top notch.

It will be a three-part, six hour series.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Its very short for him! Its a 10/10 documentary. Really really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭enricoh

6 part documentary trawlermen hunting the catch on YouTube I liked recently. Each program follows 3 trawlers on a trip. The last grafters nowadays, tough as nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Fish Town is worth a watch too, it's being repeated on BBC Scotland on Wednesday 11th at 7.30pm, it's a 6 parter. Also some episodes up on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I found this fascinating. Channel has some great content too.

Googled him after watching and found The Seven Five is about him and his crew too. Getting stuck into that too now. Fascinating story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

Spector- 4 part mini series on Sky about Phil Spector and the shooting of actress Lana Clarkson. Coming from a point of not knowing very much at all about Phil Spector (somehow this totally bypassed me in 2007!) , found this really interesting and especially the backdrop of early music. Thought it was well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭robbe

Getting Away with Murder(s), a highly rated documentary about the lack of justice post WWII is being screened over 2 nights on More4 starting on 27th Jan with the 2nd part the following night (I think). Also apparently the first screening is with no ads. Up to now was only screened at festivals and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Thanks again for the recommendation, finished last night and its a brilliant and in parts a difficult watch.

Strangest Things on Sky History, covers 3 - 4 curiosities per episode. It's a bit hit and miss, you might be already familiar with some of the content, but there's usually one segment per episode that'll grab you.

In the most recent episode, the piece about the 'canary' device explained the story behind something I'd heard of but never really thought through.

And importantly, no shakey-cam or aliens, bigfoot, paranormal stuff except to be debunked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭archfi

Killer Ratings (Netflix) about the Brzilian crime tv show host (former cop and then politician) who was accused of organising multiple murders in his city to both boost tv ratings AND eliminate his gangster rivals.

Includes a bit about a rival city mayor backed by the state's governor who turned out to be leader of a paedo gang (that part is pretty disgusting)

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm going to give this a go. The Long Road to War (WW1 documentary) on Netflix. I think it's produced by Serbian TV, and has been accused of bias by some user reviews. But, show me a documentary that isn't biased. Let's see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭crushproof

TraumaZone on BBC. Documents the period of 1985 - 1999 in Russia and entirely made up of archival footage from the BBC and other outlets. 6 episodes in total and absolutely mesmorising television, all about the collapse of communism and the chaos that unfolded - inevitable leading to the collapse of democracy.

It felt quite like Reeling in the Years. No commentary, just some footnotes while letting the footage tell the story. Some horrific stuff but also some comedic parts in between. By the end you can see why and how the Russians turned to Putin.

It's on BBC Iplayer but I believe it can be found on YT as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

"Madoff, Monster of Wallstreet" on Netflix is very good, tells the story of Bernie Madoff and his wall street ponzi scheme, the less you know going in the better.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Thanks - I watched it last night and yes there are possible parts of bias but I did find it very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Currently in some cinemas.

All the beauty and the bloodshed.

The knew the name Nan Goldin but not much about her. I thought this was terrific it covers her personal life, activism and her work wonderfully. I thought it was terrific can see why it got an Oscar nod.

Blurb below.

Rare footage and intimate interviews provide insight into the life and work of renowned photographer and activist Nan Goldin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

MH370 - one of the biggest mysteries of our times.

Series on BBC two called parole, there are 5 in total, only watched episode 1, but it is a really interesting watch.

Blurb below.

An eye-opening look at Britain's parole boards, making complex, life-changing decisions for prisoners - and their victims.

• Advertisement

All4 have a really interesting little series called Guilty Bystander. It focuses on the joint enterprise law.

Only 6 episodes all under 10 minutes. Interesting cases some where you have sympathy for the people involved....others where you definitely do not!

The Story Of Late Night, it aired recently on one of the Sky Documentary channels. Should still be available on some players.

6 episodes, telling the story of US Late Night TV talk shows from the 1950s to 2021.

I'd heard some of these names like Steve Allen, Johnny Carson without really knowing anything about them and this helped fill in the blanks.

Also covers Leno - Letterman era, Conan O'Brien, Jimmy Kimmel, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert etc

I have now watched the second one of these....highly recommend it.

Two cases per week

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

I've watched them also, I'm finding them a little drawn out tbh but I'm enjoying them. I got it all wrong on the first episode, I would have kept the guy that had murdered in prison and left the 'gigolo' out, it's a difficult decision to make.

Kings of Coke... How a gang of 'Irish' bank robbers from Montreal, the 'West End Gang', rose to become one of North America's most feared criminal organisations.

It will be repeated on Sky Documentaries 22:00 on Saturday 4th March.

M

Recently on Crime World podcast they discussed this gang, was interesting, the gang basically controlled the docks in Montreal.I must check out the documentary, I see it's available on NowTV to stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Dublin Narcos - Saturday 9 on Sky Documentaries - first episode on Larry Dunne

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

M

Yes enjoyed it, particularly episode 2 about the impact of ecstasy and the honesty of those who dealt and used it. Some maybe a little too honest on how much money they made 😉 . It all seemed so much more innocent than cocaine and heroin on how it impacted the communities these people came from. It could have really done with an episode 4 dealing with the current gangland situation. Showing the proven now crooked politicians talking about tackling organised crime was particularly funny.

Journalists do a great job in this country when they have free reign to do their job, best of luck to you.

Episode 3 used the word "shitehawk", pure gold alone 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Any idea what the “Antigen Factory Raid” mentioned in the first episode was about? Was there an actual raid?

Advertisement