Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documentary recommendation thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,858 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ian Wright:home truths

Really Powerful doc about domestic abuse, highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Russell Brice behaviour in sherpa never sat right with me. He should of just said the sherpa didn't want to go up this year, no besmirch their name by saying the lies about threats of violence from other sherpa.

Woukdnt be first time Brice came off as a prick on an everest doc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Larsso30 wrote: »
    Russell Brice behaviour in sherpa never sat right with me. He should of just said the sherpa didn't want to go up this year, no besmirch their name by saying the lies about threats of violence from other sherpa.

Woukdnt be first time Brice came off as a prick on an everest doc.

Yeah, I thought he came across terribly. He basically used the fact that most of the Sherpa can’t speak English to badmouth them to his clients. They would not know what he was saying about them. Some of the Sherpa were very clear with him that they had heard nothing about any threats being made so that was a barefaced lie. They didn’t want continue the climb because 16 people had died horrifically. So they were probably both sad AND scared for themselves. All very, very understandable to anyone with a heart.

Most of the Western clients were horrible but there was one lad who seemed to get it. Everything he uttered was unselfish and expressed understanding towards the Sherpa. He was the only one though. The guy who charmingly asked about the Sherpas’ “owner” was also the guy wittering on about terrorism and 9/11. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I enjoyed Sherpa as well, beautifully shot. There seemed to be a lot of economic coercion on all sides. I guess Russell was protecting his Sherpa's from blame and his business at the same time, he reminds me of an army sergeant more than a businessman, life is harsh get on with it. I didn't like how he condescended to them about their demeanour and tried to twist their religious beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I enjoyed Sherpa as well, beautifully shot. There seemed to be a lot of economic coercion on all sides. I guess Russell was protecting his Sherpa's from blame and his business at the same time, he reminds me of an army sergeant more than a businessman, life is harsh get on with it. I didn't like how he condescended to them about their demeanour and tried to twist their religious beliefs.

That was awful. I couldn’t believe he said to them “People see you as happy and smiling and these few are ruining your reputation”. I couldn’t believe he was saying the “happy and smiling” view of them was a good thing. So patronising, like they’re simpletons rather than complex humans. That betrayed a colonial mindset on his part. And there was no indication at all that anyone had threatened the Sherpas with violence so to have to sit there and listen to that must have been galling. I’d say plenty was said by the Sherpas in Nepalese about Brice behind his back. ;)

I don’t see how he was protecting his team from blame. I think he threw them under the bus and chickened out of explaining to his clients that the Sherpas just didn’t want to climb after the awful tragedy. I bet they were also worried about the stability of the icefall after that huge serac fell off. He kept calling them irrational but there was nothing irrational about being devastated by such a tragedy and worried for their safety. I didn’t quite catch what he was saying about having to pay for rope and other equipment himself. That seemed to another factor in him cancelling the expedition but he said nothing about that to the Westerners.

It’s funny, if the tragedy hadn’t happened and had just continued as a documentary about scaling Everest from the Sherpas’ point of view, I think Brice would have come out of it looking good. In the first half of the documentary, he came across well. But his true colours came out when stress hit. The documentary gave him and the Westerners enough rope to hang themselves with but the caption at the end about Brice was complimentary so Peedom still seemed to want Brice to be seen in a positive light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

robwen wrote: »
    One to keep an eye out for new documentary about the unsolved murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier in west Cork, five-part series, directed by Jim Sheridan, is coming to Sky Crime soon

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsandculture/arid-40270100.html

has this been broadcast yet?? if so any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭robwen

fryup wrote: »
    has this been broadcast yet?? if so any good?

No it hasn't and I'm pretty sure I read May 9th was the date for it's release so must be delayed hopefully it comes along soon.

Netflix are also releasing a separate 3 episode documentary on this aswell no release date just sometime this year

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

delayed? legal reasons i presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

eyes of the devil ... youtube.. polish guy interviews a girl who is selling her unborn child..where it leads is fckin disturbing to say the least. be warned,its not for the faint hearted,at all.. . i thought kids were kidnapped to be sold into sex work for sickos..its actually worse.

recommending because it opened my eyes.

In 2015, a fire at Bucharest's Colectiv club leaves 27 dead and 180 injured. Soon, more burn victims begin dying in hospitals from wounds that were not life-threatening. Then a doctor blows the whistle to a team of investigative journalists....Following journalists, whistle-blowers, burn victims, and government officials, Collective is an uncompromising look at the impact of investigative journalism at its best.

Just finished watching this. It was very well shot, I felt like I was sitting next to the journalists and sitting in the minister of health's office. The journalists are great characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,420 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

In 2015, a fire at Bucharest's Colectiv club leaves 27 dead and 180 injured. Soon, more burn victims begin dying in hospitals from wounds that were not life-threatening. Then a doctor blows the whistle to a team of investigative journalists....Following journalists, whistle-blowers, burn victims, and government officials, Collective is an uncompromising look at the impact of investigative journalism at its best.

Just finished watching this. It was very well shot, I felt like I was sitting next to the journalists and sitting in the minister of health's office. The journalists are great characters.

Where did you watch it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,858 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Where did you watch it ?
    I watched it on BBC I player a while back, it is a terrific documentary, well worth checking out

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Where did you watch it ?

It's available on bbc iplayer and for rent via youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The Crime of the Century.

Alex Gibney is in his own league now. So prolific.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

I watched Sherpa tonight and was absolutely gobsmacked when one of the Western climbers said “There’s no way you can talk to their owners?”. Owners? Like the Sherpa are donkeys. Or slaves. Not fellow human beings. And he seemed totally oblivious to the dehumanising thing he had just said. :mad:
    Gob****es

eyes of the devil ... youtube.. polish guy interviews a girl who is selling her unborn child..where it leads is fckin disturbing to say the least. be warned,its not for the faint hearted,at all.. . i thought kids were kidnapped to be sold into sex work for sickos..its actually worse.

recommending because it opened my eyes.

I’ll pass on that one

That was awful. I couldn’t believe he said to them “People see you as happy and smiling and these few are ruining your reputation”. I couldn’t believe he was saying the “happy and smiling” view of them was a good thing. So patronising, like they’re simpletons rather than complex humans. That betrayed a colonial mindset on his part. And there was no indication at all that anyone had threatened the Sherpas with violence so to have to sit there and listen to that must have been galling. I’d say plenty was said by the Sherpas in Nepalese about Brice behind his back. ;)

I don’t see how he was protecting his team from blame. I think he threw them under the bus and chickened out of explaining to his clients that the Sherpas just didn’t want to climb after the awful tragedy. I bet they were also worried about the stability of the icefall after that huge serac fell off. He kept calling them irrational but there was nothing irrational about being devastated by such a tragedy and worried for their safety. I didn’t quite catch what he was saying about having to pay for rope and other equipment himself. That seemed to another factor in him cancelling the expedition but he said nothing about that to the Westerners.

It’s funny, if the tragedy hadn’t happened and had just continued as a documentary about scaling Everest from the Sherpas’ point of view, I think Brice would have come out of it looking good. In the first half of the documentary, he came across well. But his true colours came out when stress hit. The documentary gave him and the Westerners enough rope to hang themselves with but the caption at the end about Brice was complimentary so Peedom still seemed to want Brice to be seen in a positive light.

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 60,311 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Nal wrote: »
    The Crime of the Century.

Alex Gibney is in his own league now. So prolific.

Watched the first two episodes powerful stuff and at nearly 2 hours an episode there is a lot there with four more episodes to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It's a 12 hour series? Hmmm, hadn't realised it was that long.

Watched the first two episodes powerful stuff and at nearly 2 hours an episode there is a lot there with four more episodes to go.
    S.M.B. wrote: »

Yeah 3 hrs in myself. Very long and detailed. Fascinating though.

• Advertisement

Adam Curtis's 'Can't get you out of my head'. Which is mind blowing and very interesting. A six-part BBC documentary television series created by Adam Curtis. Links many cultural a political phenomena, individualism vs collectivism, attempts at change throughout history, nation branding, conspiracy theory, imperialism, power structures. The trailer isn't really self explanatory.

I liked this quote “the ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.”

― David Graeber,

It's on iplayer and also available on youtube.

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah 3 hrs in myself. Very long and detailed. Fascinating though.

Seems the guide I use had it as a 6 part series, Just had a look on Wikipedia and it's only a two part series.

Seems the guide I use had it as a 6 part series, Just had a look on Wikipedia and it's only a two part series.

Aha, thought there was 8 more hours to follow! Havent watched the last hour yet.

This looks good. Next on the list.

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork

Drops June 30th.

*sees that there is a new post in this thread*

:)

*sees that the recommendation is for another true crime documentary*

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭RichT

*sees that there is a new post in this thread*

:)

*sees that the recommendation is for another true crime documentary*

:(

It's a recommendation for a documentary that I'm sure a lot of people are waiting for, after so many would have listened to the 'West Cork' podcast.

Perhaps start another thread entitled "Documentary recommendations (that S.M.B would be interested in) thread" and see how that goes for you.

Personally, I think there's a nice mix of recommendations in this thread.

Agreed, there has been a good spread posted here recently. It's actually a lot worse in the Podcast recommendations thread from what I remember.

Apologies if my post came across as some sort of policing of what should and should not be posted in here as opposed to a failed attempt at simply pointing out my own personal disinterest in what is a very popular sub genre of documentaries right now.

The silence of others 'El silencio de otros' https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8099236/

It's available to rent on Vimeo for U.K Ireland https://vimeo.com/ondemand/silenceofothers

On netflix in the U.S / Spain.

'The Silence of Others reveals the epic struggle of victims of Spain's 40-year dictatorship under General Franco, who continue to seek justice to this day. Filmed over six years, the film follows the survivors as they organize the groundbreaking 'Argentine Lawsuit' and fight a state-imposed amnesia of crimes against humanity, and explores a country still divided four decades into democracy. Seven years in the making, The Silence of Others is the second documentary feature by Emmy-winning filmmakers Almudena Carracedo and Robert Bahar (Made in L.A.). It is being Executive Produced by Pedro Almodóvar, Agustín Almodóvar, and Esther García.'

One of the most memorable documentaries I've seen in recent years with really strong interviews with individuals effected by the aftermath of Franco's dictatorship and the legacy of the Pact of Forgetting and their attempt to have the truth recognised and to try to find catharsis. The Pact of Forgetting was a political decision (by both the leftist and rightist parties) to avoid dealing with the legacy of Francoism after the 1975 death of Francisco Franco.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,420 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The silence of others 'El silencio de otros' https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8099236/

It's available to rent on Vimeo for U.K Ireland https://vimeo.com/ondemand/silenceofothers

On netflix in the U.S / Spain.

'The Silence of Others reveals the epic struggle of victims of Spain's 40-year dictatorship under General Franco, who continue to seek justice to this day. Filmed over six years, the film follows the survivors as they organize the groundbreaking 'Argentine Lawsuit' and fight a state-imposed amnesia of crimes against humanity, and explores a country still divided four decades into democracy. Seven years in the making, The Silence of Others is the second documentary feature by Emmy-winning filmmakers Almudena Carracedo and Robert Bahar (Made in L.A.). It is being Executive Produced by Pedro Almodóvar, Agustín Almodóvar, and Esther García.'

One of the most memorable documentaries I've seen in recent years with really strong interviews with individuals effected by the aftermath of Franco's dictatorship and the legacy of the Pact of Forgetting and their attempt to have the truth recognised and to try to find catharsis. The Pact of Forgetting was a political decision (by both the leftist and rightist parties) to avoid dealing with the legacy of Francoism after the 1975 death of Francisco Franco.

Really enjoyed it. The first documentary in a while that really hooked me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,248 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Max Mosley - It's Complicated, basically ignore every gutter press story about the man which took place completely consensually in his own private life. Some people like Snickers clothing and a hard hat of a Saturday night and are not led to the gallows, some prefer other 'stuff'. He likely has saved a few 100k lives around the world for his extensive campaigns on car safety, starting off in F1 and progressing in to car crash testing and onwards to this testing in basket case developing countries like India where there's 300 plus people dying a day on the roads. He was involved in the setup of Euro NCAP testing which benchmarks safety for cars sold in the EU today, cars like the Mini Metro which these NCAP tests exposed as complete death traps that were subsequently taken off the road. He said he would finance any of the News International phone hacking cases should any fail, took down Murdoch and Co at the time. Thank you Max for your service to automobiling and life, RIP.

Advertisement