Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting Room - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jose1997

Skipduke wrote: »
    I'm planning on applying in the next recruitment phase (hopefully 2021!!). Just for a bit of background, I am 24, female, just done with my college degree. Working away self-employed the last few years.

I didn't do another language in my leaving cert years ago - just Irish and English. will this be an issue? thought I read somewhere a second language is required but I'm a bit confused

Does anyone know?

Just finished a degree myself. On the same boat as long as you 5 passes in your leaving cert and Irish you should be good there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

Skipduke wrote: »
    I'm planning on applying in the next recruitment phase (hopefully 2021!!). Just for a bit of background, I am 24, female, just done with my college degree. Working away self-employed the last few years.

I didn't do another language in my leaving cert years ago - just Irish and English. will this be an issue? thought I read somewhere a second language is required but I'm a bit confused

Does anyone know?

irish is your second language :) best of luck in the recruitment drive :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ConorAFH

Hi guys , this might sound like a stupid question but I carried an exemption for Irish and other languages in school do you guys know if the exemption is taken into account for the recruitment ? Cause I’ve went back and started learning Irish again but just want to make sure . Thanks

ConorAFH wrote: »
    Hi guys , this might sound like a stupid question but I carried an exemption for Irish and other languages in school do you guys know if the exemption is taken into account for the recruitment ? Cause I’ve went back and started learning Irish again but just want to make sure . Thanks

you need a second language, its a requirement, as far as i know i dont think you would even be offered the test to prove your level of irish as you have no grade in the first place, i would inquire with PAS as they are in charge with all that, i know lads with foundation irish and they got offered the irish test and they are now Gardai.
    if you are learning irish you may be able to sit a test to prove to your level of irish, before the next recruitment drive, i would not be banking on your exemption being sufficient though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ConorAFH

St. Westy wrote: »
    you need a second language, its a requirement, as far as i know i dont think you would even be offered the test to prove your level of irish as you have no grade in the first place, i would inquire with PAS as they are in charge with all that, i know lads with foundation irish and they got offered the irish test and they are now Gardai.
    if you are learning irish you may be able to sit a test to prove to your level of irish, before the next recruitment drive, i would not be banking on your exemption being sufficient though.

yeah I thought that was the case thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Rich_ccfc

you need a 2nd language. I did foundation irish for the leaving and I also did French.

you need a 2nd language. I did foundation irish for the leaving and I also did French.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭CD2020!

PAS offer you a written and oral exam at leaving cert ordinary level. Which they offer once all applicants have been processed. Its not an easy test. anyone who did it this year did it slightly differently was planned for November ended up happening in April/May time. Its crap because you could be top marks from day one with PAS but your held back because of it. If I were you I would study to get an actual QQI level award in Irish so that you don't have to wait for the test. Unsure what qualifications they except and no there is no exemption from having a second language (I asked). Irish is the only language they will test you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mickod123

Do you know if there is any Irish course that you can do that will meet the requirements?

Mickod123 wrote: »
    Do you know if there is any Irish course that you can do that will meet the requirements?

Not sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Grassy_Knoll37

Starting to get a bit of optimism for December 2020. Case numbers are going down and society seems to be getting to grips with Covid.

Its the hope that kills you but wouldn't it be great if we heard some good news just before Christmas :)

what i cant understand is, every other body is continuing, such as prison recruits, psni, fire service, yet we are met with a brick wall :confused::confused: this better be worth the wait, coming up on 1 full year with zero communication :rolleyes: crazy :pac::pac:

St. Westy wrote: »
    what i cant understand is, every other body is continuing, such as prison recruits, psni, fire service, yet we are met with a brick wall :confused::confused: this better be worth the wait, coming up on 1 full year with zero communication :rolleyes: crazy :pac::pac:

Absolute madness indeed, particularly given the need society has.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Frenchjoe87

has any applied with the leaving cert applied. I'm trying to find out the extra requirements needed if you only have l.c.a I rang PAS the last day but you cant speak with anyone now its just email them only

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Aaron123

Anybody think there will be offers anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Boxer12347

Aaron123 wrote: »
    Anybody think there will be offers anytime soon?

Not till new year anyway with college shut. Would say March/April Covid dependent

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Con277

I was 21 when i applied I am now 24 , I feel like I could have got into the Avengers quicker. Need to do another medical now. I’ve called HR so many times I have actually got to know on of the call centre guys personally. I have tried every outlet like local TD’s and my local Super. Just don’t hold your breathe to anyone still waiting and remember it’s only a job to bank on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭dublin2000A

Con277 wrote: »
    I was 21 when i applied I am now 24 , I feel like I could have got into the Avengers quicker. Need to do another medical now. I’ve called HR so many times I have actually got to know on of the call centre guys personally. I have tried every outlet like local TD’s and my local Super. Just don’t hold your breathe to anyone still waiting and remember it’s only a job to bank.

I’ll wait for as long as it takes!!! If you’re not willing to do the same perhaps you’re not cut out for it. More positions for the rest of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭ussrsoviet

I was 21 when i applied I am now 24 , I feel like I could have got into the Avengers quicker. Need to do another medical now. I’ve called HR so many times I have actually got to know on of the call centre guys personally. I have tried every outlet like local TD’s and my local Super. Just don’t hold your breathe to anyone still waiting and remember it’s only a job to bank.

I’ll wait for as long as it takes!!! If you’re not willing to do the same perhaps you’re not cut out for it. More positions for the rest of us

Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed today Dublin? The lad was just venting frustration hah
    anyone that doesn’t agree it’s bullsh*t how they go about their recruitment is nuts IMO , putting some of the most important years of your life on hold , when you could be traveling or such things.... take covid out of the equation altogether, even before that, it was shocking how it’s handled

I was 21 when i applied I am now 24 , I feel like I could have got into the Avengers quicker. Need to do another medical now. I’ve called HR so many times I have actually got to know on of the call centre guys personally. I have tried every outlet like local TD’s and my local Super. Just don’t hold your breathe to anyone still waiting and remember it’s only a job to bank on it.

TBH I'd say yes keep it on your radar. but in fairness after 3 years you have to ask why were you not picked and all these other people have been. Definitely go and live your life do some courses etc or start a career at least you'll have options.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭dublin2000A

I appreciate he’s frustrated but life doesn’t have to be put on hold, plenty of short E-learning courses available As well as hundreds of other character building training to enhance the cv While waiting.

I agree the system I a load of bollox but we’ve never been so close to a call up than now so instead of being sick of waiting like we all are start looking forward to starting with AGS!

Movement is Gonna start happening Quickly so get your affairs in order

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Boxer12347

We have to live life as if we aren’t getting in! You can’t put things on hold as we may not get offers anytime soon. If promotions in work come go for them! If you have another job that internets you go for it. We can’t put things on hold as we never know when an offer will come or if it will come. Don’t put life on hold go for it and see what happens with offers. This Virus doesn’t help and is certainly making the recruitment longer. Training probably isn’t going to be for 32 weeks as long as Covid is around so get saving to be able to cover more than 32 weeks on €184.

When did you apply lad 2018 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Alana123

I know that Templemore is closed with this lockdown so it’s stopping one group finishing their training.
    Does anyone know how much longer that group have?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Collinsb10

Hi again. Just wondering is there many here that have received the email saying their file has been checked and approved? I didn't only get that when I emailed looking for answers so don't know what to expect really?

Rich_ccfc wrote: »
    When did you apply lad 2018 ?
    Ye I applied in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭banjoh_10

Collinsb10 wrote: »
    Hi again. Just wondering is there many here that have received the email saying their file has been checked and approved? I didn't only get that when I emailed looking for answers so don't know what to expect really?

Yes. Recieved an email saying my file had been checked and approved after I emailed them.

I was told to be ready to go in to templemore in July 2019 two weeks before induction by phone call. I discharged myself from the Defence forces which I had to pay. Two weeks went by when I decided to call HR as I heard no additional info, to be told I was on standby for a drop out. A few weeks went by where I decided to call again where I was informed my stage 4 was outstanding. Now out of job and lost my pension years I had to find work in a Maxol garage for short of 1 year. Hoping that my start date would come up quickly. I kept in contact with HR continuously getting the answer “Garda Vetting outstanding” I called my local TD Who told me there was nothing he could do and my local super intendant who looked to the best of his abilities and said all documents were sent to HR and Vetting. I called Vetting who told me they sent it to HR, and HR again told me they hadn’t got it. Fed up I decided to look for a career job again, Unfortunately due to COVID I lost my job in the garage and had to avail of COVID payment, One Tuesday I got a phone call from a sergeant in Dublin telling me he had to go through further details of my vetting. He told me he couldn’t let me up to the station so within the hour he arrived at my door in civilian attire driving his personal vehicle to ask me questions about my form B which we all filled out when we applied first. I found it very strange. Thankfully I got the Job I applied for and I am happy working away but soon after I started the job after not hearing anything for months I thought it funny to call HR again out of interest when I was told my vetting is done I must now wait for an intake.

So mate I’m sorry if somehow my frustration vexed you a little and your goals of being a super Garda. I’ve had a fairly **** experience so far in my goal to be a Garda. I was just hoping that people that might be in a similar situation as me know they aren’t the only ones going through this ****e. It can be draining on a lot us.

Thats a tough situation no doubt about it, and we're all on the same side here, even though sometimes our outlook can seem different.

For what its worth, I sincerely hope you get your shot Con, and I'm sure that sentiment would be shared by all here.

• Advertisement

I was told to be ready to go in to templemore in July 2019 two weeks before induction by phone call. I discharged myself from the Defence forces which I had to pay. Two weeks went by when I decided to call HR as I heard no additional info, to be told I was on standby for a drop out. A few weeks went by where I decided to call again where I was informed my stage 4 was outstanding. Now out of job and lost my pension years I had to find work in a Maxol garage for short of 1 year. Hoping that my start date would come up quickly. I kept in contact with HR continuously getting the answer “Garda Vetting outstanding” I called my local TD Who told me there was nothing he could do and my local super intendant who looked to the best of his abilities and said all documents were sent to HR and Vetting. I called Vetting who told me they sent it to HR, and HR again told me they hadn’t got it. Fed up I decided to look for a career job again, Unfortunately due to COVID I lost my job in the garage and had to avail of COVID payment, One Tuesday I got a phone call from a sergeant in Dublin telling me he had to go through further details of my vetting. He told me he couldn’t let me up to the station so within the hour he arrived at my door in civilian attire driving his personal vehicle to ask me questions about my form B which we all filled out when we applied first. I found it very strange. Thankfully I got the Job I applied for and I am happy working away but soon after I started the job after not hearing anything for months I thought it funny to call HR again out of interest when I was told my vetting is done I must now wait for an intake.

So mate I’m sorry if somehow my frustration vexed you a little and your goals of being a super Garda. I’ve had a fairly **** experience so far in my goal to be a Garda. I was just hoping that people that might be in a similar situation as me know they aren’t the only ones going through this ****e. It can be draining on a lot us.

you really have been led round in circles :eek::eek: prime example of how the system is flawed, ruining a young persons youth, sincerely hope it works out soon for you lad

Advertisement