Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dating and race

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Their all pink on the inside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Ush1 wrote: »
    You say less obsessed with America but then use the term "dating".

This is such a weird pet peeve a lot of people on boards have. What would you call the process whereby people organise and go on dates in Ireland?

Courting? Doing a line?

KiKi III wrote: »
    This is such a weird pet peeve a lot of people on boards have. What would you call the process whereby people organise and go on dates in Ireland?

Courting? Doing a line?

Shifting-> Meeting-> Riding

Usually involving a nightclub and national anthem for step 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Courting? Doing a line?

Thick Country accent

"O Jaysus Noooo, you've missed hur, She's out cortin"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Their all pink on the inside

Their what are all pink?

• Advertisement

Shifting-> Meeting-> Riding

Usually involving a nightclub and national anthem for step 1

That definition reminds me of college.

Before iPhones were a thing, Tinder existed and irish people went on actual dates.

That definition reminds me of college.

Before iPhones were a thing, Tinder existed and irish people went on actual dates.

Tbh its just splitting hairs,its all dating or whatever folks wanna call it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Courting? Doing a line?

Going out with someone.

Going out with someone.

If someone said “I’m going out with Sarah” I’d take that to mean they were a couple, we’re talking about the stage before that.

It doesn’t really matter, but language is a constantly evolving thing, and griping about words we import from cultures we interact with a lot is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Would you date someone of another race? I kind of get the feeling that Ireland is less race obsessed than places like the US or even some parts of Southern Europe.

We are because we’re still by far and away a vastly homogeneous group by comparison to other societies in other countries. If there were the same proportion of other races here as there are in other countries, you might begin to see the same effect as you see in other countries where people for the most part tend to date other people of their own race.

Xertz wrote: »
    Or this country for that matter either!
    Ireland tends to be pretty good at marrying everyone. I’ve in laws via siblings and cousins from: China, France, England, Italy, Jamaica, the US and one of the cousins even married someone from Kerry.

It’s great! I’ve had invites to all of those places and there’s nothing quite like going to visit your married in cousins! It’s a whole different vibe to visiting somewhere as a total outsider.

If I like someone enough to marry them I couldn’t give a damn where they’re from. Some absolutely stunners from every continent.

You’re basing your extrapolation on your own individual perceptions while criticising another poster for making a claim based upon their own personal perceptions? What was the point of that?

You even acknowledge yourself that you’re a total outsider, and yes, even whether it’s Dublin or Dubai you’d be regarded as an outsider or a “blow-in” if you weren’t from there or didn’t look like you were from there. It’s why as someone who grew up outside Dublin, anyone who grew up in Dublin would spot me coming a mile away :pac:

It’s true to say there are some absolute stunners on every continent, those that meet with your particular preferences at least, who may not appeal particularly to the locals. If there’s anything is remotely universal it’s the fact that the idea of the exotic is always more attractive is overshadowed by the fact that the exotic are something to be suspicious of. African men wouldn’t see Irish women the same way Irish men would see them, any more than African women would see Irish men the same way they see African men.

One doesn’t have to have been to other countries to know that people from other countries regard foreigners the same way as we do, and it would be silly to imagine that race is an irrelevance or dismiss it out of hand completely when the reality for the vast majority of people is that race is important to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I was going out with a black woman from Trinidad and Tobago for years, ended up buying a gaff together but split last year.

In general it’s grand but you do encounter some external and internal tensions at times. The most blatant disapproval we got came almost exclusively from black people to be honest. I remember once when coming off a bus holding hands and laughing etc and an old African woman spat on the ground in disgust; was so stunned and taken aback we didn’t know what to say. Similarly I was in the hospital reception once with a broken hand and my ex came in a few minutes after and when the two African receptionists saw we were a couple they were immediately curt and blatantly rude.

She would occasionally get pointed comments off some people in her circle about why weren’t black men good enough for her etc; likewise we were both boxers and I had to get stuck into one black lad before in our gym for hitting on her constantly and being a creep - the mentality clearly being that we couldn’t be a ‘real couple’. That having been said these were incidents that were few and far between. There were plenty of white people with issues too I imagine, but in general white people will be more discrete about their prejudices.

Culturally Irish and West Indians aren’t massively different but the drinking thing was a huge one for her, like getting p*ssed up isn’t a big thing for them and it’s looked down upon so her at a party full of Paddies smashing back crates of cans and signing a song and then being dying the next day was completely anathema; she’d think you were a raging alcoholic for having six pints on an evening.

My own family didn’t like her much and at the end when her behaviour was intolerable, some of my relatives would try and couch that in terms of cultural differences rather than her just being plain mental and neurotic. We had some horrible rows before we broke up and she would sometimes accuse me (unfairly) of having a white privilege point of view; ironically over me hating the EU and her very much being pro-EU. (The body mad to keep non-European migrants out)

In general people are people though; and day to say there was less hassle in being a mixed race couple than I initially thought there would be. That having been said we were in London so could well have been different elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

If someone said “I’m going out with Sarah” I’d take that to mean they were a couple, we’re talking about the stage before that.

It doesn’t really matter, but language is a constantly evolving thing, and griping about words we import from cultures we interact with a lot is silly.

Stage before that is going for a drink.

Stage before that is going for a drink.

Even if the date is a coffee, or a walk in the park? How would you differentiate “going for a drink” with a friend and going for a drink with romantic intentions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

Even if the date is a coffee, or a walk in the park? How would you differentiate “going for a drink” with a friend and going for a drink with romantic intentions?

I call it 'hanging out'. It is nice and relaxed and all-inclusive of whatever shenanigans ye might get up to. 'Dating' just sounds so wrong and contrived to me, not because it's American in origin, but because the narrower meaning of the word itself points to an appointment - how sexy and romantic :rolleyes:

(Now, probably the hanging out has no more romantic a vibe, but at least it doesn't conjure up an image of two serious people sizing each other up as to mutual suitability for whatever purpose they are intent on, the way the word dating does for me. But I accept that this aversion is a matter of individual taste.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Latina isn't a race.

Advertisement