Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

5 cases in Cork today

Super figures

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

rodders999 wrote: »
    5 cases is excellent but everything is still shut and there’s no plan to reopen them anytime soon. All seems a bit helpless at the moment whether it’s 5 or 50 cases a day in Cork as nothing changes.

We've had very low numbers in Cork for weeks now and yet everything is shut with no timeframe for reopening of shops or hospitality. The fact even something like click and collect isn't open is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,144 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yes they could start gradual reopenings in cities and towns with very low cases

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Not sure how regional restrictions would work. Cork isn't airtight and if stuff opens here you'll have people spilling in from other counties. The main routes to Cork from Killarney for example (N72 via Mallow/Rathmore and N22 via Macroom) both have checkpoints but they are ridiculously easy to avoid should you feel the need to.

What would be much more useful would be a regional focus on bringing down cases in counties that have issues. Level 5 has worked to a tee in counties such as Cork, Kerry, Kilkenny, Sligo amongst others. Exactly why it can work in those counties yet Offaly has 14 times as much virus as Kilkenny needs to be focused on.

If Kilkenny was Ireland as a whole, we would have had 49 cases yesterday. Level 5 does work but some counties are dragging the country down. Focusing on this as if it's a national issue has been a clear failure of policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Regional would be nice.

Kerry benefited from those vaccines I assume, when they got that bumper delivery very early on.

The county travel thing is nice, I drove to ballydesmond to get a second hand window for a shed yesterday, felt like I’d escaped from prison!

Some kids clothes shops would be really welcome. I’ve ordered children’s clothes online from dunnes a couple of times and it’s a dose. Yes, I do the annoying mammy thing in shops of dragging the children with me and holding the clothes up against them to check sizes. Because it’s efficient.

With online ordering for children Half the stuff doesn’t arrive due to low stock , it takes weeks, and what does appear doesn’t fit so I have to send it back and start all over again. By the time I’ve reordered and waited it’s not the same season anymore and the children are 6 inches bloody taller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

marno21 wrote: »
    Not sure how regional restrictions would work. Cork isn't airtight and if stuff opens here you'll have people spilling in from other counties. The main routes to Cork from Killarney for example (N72 via Mallow/Rathmore and N22 via Macroom) both have checkpoints but they are ridiculously easy to avoid should you feel the need to.

What would be much more useful would be a regional focus on bringing down cases in counties that have issues. Level 5 has worked to a tee in counties such as Cork, Kerry, Kilkenny, Sligo amongst others. Exactly why it can work in those counties yet Offaly has 14 times as much virus as Kilkenny needs to be focused on.

If Kilkenny was Ireland as a whole, we would have had 49 cases yesterday. Level 5 does work but some counties are dragging the country down. Focusing on this as if it's a national issue has been a clear failure of policy.

The Ovens check point has been dismantled. Maybe Cork's border with North Cork is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

17 cases in Cork today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Not bad at all

https://twitter.com/ZaraKing/status/1382376620862898185

Full breakdown of todays cases

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭rodders999

Well after feeling a bit helpless yesterday about the restrictions being the same in Cork as everywhere else despite our excellent numbers and the prospect of regional restrictions being enough in extremely unlikely I’ve a much more positive post today.

Both my parents got their vaccine today (East Cork area) - Pfizer. Appointment was for 4pm at their local GP and they were told to be there at 3:45pm. Arrived on time and immediately began the registration process. Vaccine administered bang on 4pm and they were allowed leave the surgery at 4:15pm after the 15 minute observation process ended.

Military like precision, superbly organised with people coming and going all day and another full day’s vaccination schedule happening there tomorrow. I drove them and it was brilliant to see so many people from the locality coming out after getting their jab. Everyone was in great spirits and there was a real positive attitude in the air that progress was being made.

We’re really starting to fight back against this bastard disease and we will beat it, have no doubt about that.

Onwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1JoC01Omgc

Video here on how to register for your vaccine appointment. Slightly more complicated then the Uk one but not over the top I don’t think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid-19-daily-operations-update-14-april-2021.pdf

Tonight's numbers are excellent from the HSE. 174 in the country in hospital.

Down to 4 in hospital in Cork, 2 of those in ICU.

pwurple wrote: »
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid-19-daily-operations-update-14-april-2021.pdf

Tonight's numbers are excellent from the HSE. 174 in the country in hospital.

Down to 4 in hospital in Cork, 2 of those in ICU.

I’ve heard the 2 in ICU are likely to be there long term - worth keeping those two people in our prayers

I’ve heard the 2 in ICU are likely to be there long term - worth keeping those two people in our prayers

From Covid alone or other illnesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

From Covid alone or other illnesses?

Does it matter?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cape Clear wrote: »
    The Ovens check point has been dismantled. Maybe Cork's border with North Cork is the issue.
    It has indeed. Mad traffic going through there today - it wouldn't be feasible to have it there anymore

The Macroom one is still there, they had several cars pulled in when I went through it this morning heading west and this evening heading east.

There are also checkpoints in Barraduff on the N72 and in Glengarriff on the N71.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

309 cases today and 8 deaths.

12 cases in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

I always look forward to Thursday evening LEA breakdown there seems to be a delay tonight they haven't updated yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,036 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

aisling86 wrote: »
    I always look forward to Thursday evening LEA breakdown there seems to be a delay tonight they haven't updated yet.

Showed as updated when I looked yesterday. Data for 2 weeks to the 12th of April

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Showed as updated when I looked yesterday. Data for 2 weeks to the 12th of April

Thank you it was probably the figures threw me when I looked. Macroom unchanged at 19 which is good as that probably means there was no cases the 2nd wk of the data range hopefully..

COVID-19 14-day incidence rates per 100,000 population by Local Electoral Area (LEA), Cork 30/03/2021 to 12/04/2021

Bandon-Kinsale - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 8 (+3), LEA rate per 100k pop: 21.5 (+8.1)

Bantry-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: <5 (-), LEA rate per 100k pop: <5 (-)

Carrigaline - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 14 (-1), LEA rate per 100k pop: 40 (-3)

Cobh - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 18 (+6), LEA rate per 100k pop: 53 (+18)

Cork City North East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 23 (-9), LEA rate per 100k pop: 55 (-21)

Cork City North West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 32 (-4), LEA rate per 100k pop: 80 (-10)

Cork City South Central - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 52 (-8), LEA rate per 100k pop: 135 (-20)

Cork City South East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 26 (-11), LEA rate per 100k pop: 61 (-26)

Cork City South West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 20 (+10), LEA rate per 100k pop: 43 (+22)

Fermoy - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 20 (+12), LEA rate per 100k pop: 55 (+33)

Kanturk - Confirmed Cases in LEA: <5 (-), LEA rate per 100k pop: <5 (-)

Macroom - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 19 (-), LEA rate per 100k pop: 52 (-)

Mallow - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 16 (-11), LEA rate per 100k pop: 55 (-39)

Midleton - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 36 (-5), LEA rate per 100k pop: 79 (-11)

Skibbereen-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 6 (+1), LEA rate per 100k pop: 19.8 (+1.7)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

People I went to school with - not my friends - in their early 20s etc who were pretty much having parties through out the entire 3rd wave have now caught COVID. They aren't great, most of them are struggling to walk up the stairs and one is coughing up blood but was sent home from the hospital.

So while cases etc are declining, and just because there are low deaths and because you are "young" doesn't mean you can't be affected and yes I know people can be fine, such as my father and sister who only had tiredness and headache, but these are young sporty people who can barely walk up the stairs for the last week and a bit. This can effect anybody. It's not just about deaths.its something you don't really want to catch.

Keep the guard up! Keep up the good work! :)

17 cases today

11 further COVID19 related deaths are being reported today (RIP)

The HPSC confirms they have been notified of a further 420 cases of COVID19 in the Republic of Ireland

17 of the cases reported today are in Cork

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    11 further COVID19 related deaths are being reported today (RIP)

The HPSC confirms they have been notified of a further 420 cases of COVID19 in the Republic of Ireland

17 of the cases reported today are in Cork

This month has seen the largest known “delayed reports” less then a quarter have been from April

https://twitter.com/riochtconor2/status/1383110040765218820?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 20 B!gD0g543

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I just think shopping centres and supermarkets should be better prepared, I have seen Super Valu has wipes, gloves and hand santizer out for customers

I think exactly the same. Supermarkets failed to provide the proper service during the whole COVID pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

B!gD0g543 wrote: »
    I think exactly the same. Supermarkets failed to provide the proper service during the whole COVID pandemic.

Ingrate.
    Supermarket staff are poorly paid, unsung heroes of this pandemic, daily dealing with anti mask arseholes.

There's been no significant outbreaks associated with supermarkets, despite them not closing for a single day since this kicked off.
    What are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Dunnes in Ballincollig has disinfectant spray and hand towels at the trolley bay and plenty of hand sanitizing stations all around the shop. They also disinfect the pin pads after each customer & Tesco Ballincollig has sanitising stations at the entrance and exit and near the baskets. I don't think they could do much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,216 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

420 Today and 4 deaths No county by county breakdown.

My comment was from the start of the pandemic in Ireland, I was out today and Clonakilty was jointed, it felt somebit of normality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Are you actually serious. Supermarket staff have worked tirelessly through the whole pandemic. My local Aldi, Dunnes and Tesco all have sanitising stations at the entrances and monitor the amount of people in the store. What more do you expect the staff to do?

Advertisement