Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The_Dave

... most people conforming, but still the odd asshat who thinks they don't need to. Good thing I'm wearing a mask, as it muffles my already low voiced expletives that I mumble in their direction.
    I'm sorry but how do you know that those people don't have a legitimate reason for not wearing one?:confused:

I'm quite sure (without any facts to be back it up) that a good portion of those not wearing them have no reason other than a personal choice but how does one (wtihout asking, even then you're relying on them telling the truth) seperate the legitimate for the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The_Dave wrote: »
    I'm sorry but how do you know that those people don't have a legitimate reason for not wearing one?:confused:

I'm quite sure (without any facts to be back it up) that a good portion of those not wearing them have no reason other than a personal choice but how does one (wtihout asking, even then you're relying on them telling the truth) seperate the legitimate for the rest

The t-shirt would have been a giveaway in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The_Dave

That was a differnt poster though:p

I walk around town with no mask as well, however I put mine on when entering shops, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭adaminho

Can only speak from personal experience but my disabled sister has no problem wearing a mask as she can understand it's for her benefit. You can always wear a visor as well. If you still have a problem maybe you shouldn't be out shopping! (Not aimed at you Dave)

That was a differnt poster though:p

I walk around town with no mask as well, however I put mine on when entering shops, etc...

I met him in two different shops without one on though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Usually by the way they're carrying themselves. The usual type who don't wear them are the same ones who'd be up your hole while queuing, or like to make sure the whole shop know they're there. I'm not on about people walking around the streets, it's not mandatory there yet, I'm on about in shops. Someone with a conditions which prevents them from wearing a mask, of which I've no doubt there are very few and far between, wouldn't carry on the way the aforementioned asshats would.

Also, as someone else pointed out, there are the visors you see some people wearing. I've no doubt if I had some conditions that prevented me from wearing a mask, I would at least wear the visor. Something is better than nothing. Local shop selling them for €5.

Usually by the way they're carrying themselves. The usual type who don't wear them are the same ones who'd be up your hole while queuing, or like to make sure the whole shop know they're there. I'm not on about people walking around the streets, it's not mandatory there yet, I'm on about in shops. Someone with a conditions which prevents them from wearing a mask, of which I've no doubt there are very few and far between, wouldn't carry on the way the aforementioned asshats would.

Also, as someone else pointed out, there are the visors you see some people wearing. I've no doubt if I had some conditions that prevented me from wearing a mask, I would at least wear the visor. Something is better than nothing. Local shop selling them for €5.
    Also anyone that say's face nappy is a Gowl!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

kilburn wrote: »
    Apparently one in the academy but not sure they have made a statement confirming or denying yet

Statement was made earlier this afternoon. One academy player tested positive. 5 academy players and one senior player who are possible close contacts are self isolating. The main squad aren't close contacts. Scheduled testing was to be done Monday anyway.
    https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/08/13/munster-rugby-statement-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

adaminho wrote: »
    Shout out to the dope that was walking around town with no mask and a T-shirt saying RTE is the virus! Way to show us sheeple!

Probably Hunky Monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

Shannon RFC too. Both club activities suspended

All Shannon RFC players who were tested as they were close contacts of a confirmed case were negative. Club activities were suspended as a precaution. Please stop spreading unconfirmed rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Limerick Post said cases spiking from sporting clubs, could be headed for lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Is there ACTUALLY a legitimate reason for not wearing one? I keep hearing of people saying they can't for health reasons, yet I can never find a single thing to back this up. Are these people just being pure Karens or are there actual genuine reasons?

jaxxx wrote: »
    Is there ACTUALLY a legitimate reason for not wearing one? I keep hearing of people saying they can't for health reasons, yet I can never find a single thing to back this up. Are these people just being pure Karens or are there actual genuine reasons?

I’d guarantee 99% of those that ‘can’t’ wear one are making it up.

I’d guarantee 99% of those that ‘can’t’ wear one are making it up.

So they're just being Karens? Thought as much. FFS anyone here wear glasses? For those that don't: you have NO IDEA how annoying it is wearing those marks with glasses. Every time you breathe every millimetre of the glass becomes drenched in steam ><

And yeah I know there's those weird shield things you can get, but I ain't going around around looking like I'm starring in the new Ghostbusters ><

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

I can't find any medical reason for not wearing one either and, imo, if there is, I'd imagine the person would be so immune compromised that they should not be putting themselves at risk by mixing with the general population anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sorry what is a Karen :o:confused:

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Sorry what is a Karen :o:confused:

Karen is a pejorative term used in the United States and other English-speaking countries for a woman perceived as entitled or demanding beyond the scope of what is appropriate or necessary. A common stereotype is that of a white woman who uses her privilege to demand her own way at the expense of others.

^ direct copy paste job. I believe the male equivalent being Bob.

Also: sorry to any actual Karens/Bobs out there that don't match the above description :p

Anyone else have to google what pejorative means or just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

anyone here wear glasses? For those that don't: you have NO IDEA how annoying it is wearing those marks with glasses. Every time you breathe every millimetre of the glass becomes drenched in steam ><

And yeah I know there's those weird shield things you can get, but I ain't going around around looking like I'm starring in the new Ghostbusters ><

I do. Stick the mask under your glasses and make sure its tight against your nose. If you are wearing a surgical type mask, mould the metal bit tightly against your nose.

Even with a cloth mask, this works for me.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Limerick Post said cases spiking from sporting clubs, could be headed for lockdown

Look at the actual numbers. We're currently nowhere near a lock down. Limerick has been getting a steady 6-8 cases a day with no increase recently. Our 14 day average is 20 cases per 100K. The locked down counties were at around 100+ cases per 100K over the previous 14 days when the went into lockdown.

Yes it could change, but right now there is no danger of a lockdown in Limeick. Stop believing the sensationalism.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I live close to the Gaelic Grounds and there’s a huge jump in people going for testing in the last few days. I’d say we’re a few weeks away from a huge jump.

• Advertisement

Well f*ck ya'll, I'm going grabbing a tent and moving into the woods! Keep your COVID away from the woods else I'll come at ye with my new fox and badger friends!

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I live close to the Gaelic Grounds and there’s a huge jump in people going for testing in the last few days. I’d say we’re a few weeks away from a huge jump.

More people are being tested because of contact tracing. 97-98% of tests are negative. More testing does not necessarily equate to a huge jump in cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

People with genuine claustrophobia would have difficulty wearing one.

I find them very uncomfortable (I can't handle breathing in warm air for a prolonged amount of time, if my head ends up under the duvet at night I wake up) but I put up with the mask when I'm shopping so I can understand someone with diagnosed claustrophobia having issues.

I decided to treat myself to a snack box from Chicken Hut yesterday evening for dinner. Masked up and ready to order. In and out in 2 or 3 mins was the intention as it was quiet for a Friday evening. A lady ahead of me (respectable looking) was maskless. A masked lady she knew rocked in and joined the queue and the chats started. Maskless lady began to explain to masked lady in her very hoarse voice (but loud enough for the rest of us to hear) that she can't wear a mask because of her lung condition and she had been in and out of hospital since "the corona thing started". Her voice became less and less hoarse and was in full volume by the time she got to the counter. "Family box love", was roared at the girl behind the perspex. Few more chats with her masked friend and off she trotted.

The people of Limerick leave me down sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I decided to treat myself to a snack box from Chicken Hut yesterday evening for dinner. Masked up and ready to order. In and out in 2 or 3 mins was the intention as it was quiet for a Friday evening. A lady ahead of me (respectable looking) was maskless. A masked lady she knew rocked in and joined the queue and the chats started. Maskless lady began to explain to masked lady in her very hoarse voice (but loud enough for the rest of us to hear) that she can't wear a mask because of her lung condition and she had been in and out of hospital since "the corona thing started". Her voice became less and less hoarse and was in full volume by the time she got to the counter. "Family box love", was roared at the girl behind the perspex. Few more chats with her masked friend and off she trotted.

A chicken hut snack box will kill anything, youre fine. Corona never stood a chance.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I was in the crescent yesterday, for the first time in months. Most wearing masks, but for some reason, eating a fecking 99 is an acceptable reason to have your mask off. As are smoothies. Has anyone called the WHO? This could be huge!

Those shields are a cop out which I think we should ban. They do nothing to stop aerosolised particles.

One way system was pretty well laid out, though challenging for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

MarkR wrote: »
    I was in the crescent yesterday, for the first time in months. Most wearing masks, but for some reason, eating a fecking 99 is an acceptable reason to have your mask off. As are smoothies. Has anyone called the WHO? This could be huge!

Those shields are a cop out which I think we should ban. They do nothing to stop aerosolised particles.

One way system was pretty well laid out, though challenging for some.

Well they're a bit hard to eat through the mask....

Don't you know 99's and smoothies have protective properties? They are in similar vein to "substantial" meals in pubs - they protect you from Covid :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Don't you know 99's and smoothies have protective properties? They are in similar vein to "substantial" meals in pubs - they protect you from Covid :pac:

Yes but don't eat them after 11pm, the virus is vicious after then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say a 99 and smoothie are probably well protected from Covid-19. All those additives would kill it instantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

This is what you need... https://twitter.com/AnyTechnology/status/1294696290937380865?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement