Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Was out on Saturday morning in the city centre and there's a marked improvement in mask wearing. Definitely more people now wearing them when out in crowded public spaces or shops/Milk Market. Even more people wearing them in supermarkets compared to prior weeks.

Still plenty of room for improvement, but fair play to everyone that is taking it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

A University/college isnt an outdoor place.

It'll reopen to the public when it's ready and safe to do so just like other third levels across Ireland.

Which other third level campuses are currently locked up?
    Would you consider it unsafe to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Which other third level campuses are currently locked up? Would you consider it unsafe to open?

UL is still locked.

I imagine if LIT could they would but it's surrounded by low walls and no gates.

kilburn wrote: »
    UL is still locked.

I imagine if LIT could they would but it's surrounded by low walls and no gates.

UL has been open for over a month, possibly longer,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

UL has been open for over a month, possibly longer,

News to me I saw in another thread here it was locked still

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm a student out there and nothing student accessible at undergrad level is open.
    Even the library is running click and collect.

The outdoor sports facilities are open/bookable as is a weights room.
    Nothing else that I know of is open out there as of yet and given the very restricted on site schedule for students for the autumn semester?
    I'd be quite surprised to learn what actually is open?

I don’t know a thing about the buildings, that wasn’t my point, perhaps they are still closed, there doesn’t seem to be much going on

But the gates have been open for over a month, you are free to stroll around as usual, you can drive in and park

Which other third level campuses are currently locked up?
    Would you consider it unsafe to open?

Trinity is shut to everyone but staff. One of the biggest tourist attractions in Ireland, home to several museums, and its closed to most of the population.

If Mary I thought it was safe or necessary to open the campus, they would have done so already. Locals wanting a walk are not enough of a reason to open a campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

banie01 wrote: »
    I'm a student out there and nothing student accessible at undergrad level is open.
    Even the library is running click and collect.

The outdoor sports facilities are open/bookable as is a weights room.
    Nothing else that I know of is open out there as of yet and given the very restricted on site schedule for students for the autumn semester?
    I'd be quite surprised to learn what actually is open?

The Bernal building is open for research students. Time allocation is from 7 am to 1 pm and 2 pm to 8 pm. Laboratories are cleansed during lunch time. Limited numbers in each laboratory.

My supervisor had to enter the Lonsdale building. He needed a request from the Dean of Science and the head technician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

YFlyer wrote: »
    My supervisor had to enter the Lonsdale building. He needed a request from the Dean of Science and the head technician.

Everyone needed to be named and approved, academic staff or otherwise as per COTEC guidelines.

Miike wrote: »
    Everyone needed to be named and approved, academic staff or otherwise as per COTEC guidelines.

I'm aware of that. It's extreme on campus. You can only go up one staircase and down another.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

YFlyer wrote: »
    I'm aware of that. It's extreme on campus. You can only go up one staircase and down another.

Common practice in lots of work places where this is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Hi all,

Just wondering what people's experiences of bars and restaurants have been in Limerick since I haven't ventured out since they've reopened. Have they been strict with the time limit? Can anyone comment on which bars don't hoosh people after the 105 minutes? Also would you need a booking of a Saturday night to get a table anywhere? Planning on heading out over the weekend and just seeing which places would be our best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Hi all,

Just wondering what people's experiences of bars and restaurants have been in Limerick since I haven't ventured out since they've reopened. Have they been strict with the time limit? Can anyone comment on which bars don't hoosh people after the 105 minutes? Also would you need a booking of a Saturday night to get a table anywhere? Planning on heading out over the weekend and just seeing which places would be our best bet.

I'm sure pubs that were being a bit flexible with the time limit wouldn't appreciate it being advertised online.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Treepole wrote: »
    I'm sure pubs that were being a bit flexible with the time limit wouldn't appreciate it being advertised online.

Yeah fair enough. There is a similar thread on the Galway City forum where people are discussing it so I said I'd give it a go here.

EDIT: Actually on that thread people are talking in general terms and not mentioning specific pubs, my bad. Maybe pointers on whether pubs were being lax in general and not mentioning specific pubs might be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Plenty of word of mouth but won't post as it will probably get deleted but at least two bars in the southside are flouting the rules.

A lot of places aren't strictly adhering to the time limit unless they've tables booked out. From the very few times I've been out, anywhere with a walk in policy or that's quiet hasn't been asking people to leave (although most people in the places we were in were out mainly for food and only seen one group knocking back drinks without a main meal each).

Only occasion we were given a time limit was when we chanced brunch at the Spitjack when they were busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Anyone else notice some of the hand sanitizers used in premises are definitely watered down or quite simply do not contain alcohol??
    I initially thought the sanitizers seemed weak due to lack of a smell but had a few cuts from gardening (covid gardening) used some of the sanitizers and got no sting not even a sensation but when I used the sanitizers in my car I nearly burned the hands off myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, noticed that myself. I have my own in the car I use before I go into anywhere now, and unless the sanitiser is automatic, it makes no sense (to me) to use them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yeah, noticed that myself. I have my own in the car I use before I go into anywhere now, and unless the sanitiser is automatic, it makes no sense (to me) to use them.

Why does it need to be automatic? In the highly unlikely scenario that the virus did happen to be on the dispenser, then the sanitiser that comes out of it will kill any that touched your hand.

Why does it need to be automatic? In the highly unlikely scenario that the virus did happen to be on the dispenser, then the sanitiser that comes out of it will kill any that touched your hand.

Because they're cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

tweek84 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice some of the hand sanitizers used in premises are definitely watered down or quite simply do not contain alcohol??
    I initially thought the sanitizers seemed weak due to lack of a smell but had a few cuts from gardening (covid gardening) used some of the sanitizers and got no sting not even a sensation but when I used the sanitizers in my car I nearly burned the hands off myself.

The watery ones are probably not alcohol based, we use one in work like that, seems like water but it's definitely a proper sanitizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Because it's another step towards prevention, and they all add up. 'Highly unlikely' is not guaranteed not to happen. And unless the sanitiser is at least 60% alcohol (which I doubt in a lot of cases), it won't prevent Covid transmission. So yeah, it's the little things that help, and automatic sanitisers are helpful in that regard. And they're cool.

But, I use my own anyway so I don't have to touch anything, so moot point for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Is UL open for a walk on the grounds??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Pacifico wrote: »
    Is UL open for a walk on the grounds??
    Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Yep

Can you actually drive in and park on the grounds now or is it just pedestrian access?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Can you actually drive in and park on the grounds now or is it just pedestrian access?

Just back and you can drive in the entrance by the pool...the other one is closed. Parking no problem and it’s very quiet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Pacifico wrote: »
    Just back and you can drive in the entrance by the pool...the other one is closed. Parking no problem and it’s very quiet!!

Thanks for that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

No rumours about outbreaks please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement