Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

mdmix wrote: »
    while there will always be a need for practical lab sessions, most time is allocated irresponsibly. first years come in to labs in many courses to watch a video on lab safety. A lot of lab sessions in certain courses are just learning to use CAD.
    a lot of stem graduates from UL would struggle to recognise basic lab equipment when in industry. Not specific to UL.

The proposed 1 in 3 weeks on campus would go a long way towards improving education as the onus is on the faculty to ensure that students know what they are doing before they come on campus.

self motivation learning often doesnt work for younger, not as mature students. I know of 2 students who have decided to defer a year as they feel they won't do well with this type of learning. Not sure I would be self motivated enough either to be honest. I work so much better in group settings. I've tried online courses a few times but never completed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

self motivation learning often doesnt work for younger, not as mature students. I know of 2 students who have decided to defer a year as they feel they won't do well with this type of learning. Not sure I would be self motivated enough either to be honest. I work so much better in group settings. I've tried online courses a few times but never completed them.

My son is in UL and he was saying a lot are going to defer but if the virus is going to be around for a while they will face the same problem next year.

It's a mess at the min as we are looking at paying accommodation from Sept to Dec for 3/4 weeks in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Yes, agree with you on that, but its down to the standard of teaching - and I don't just mean online. The way we teach is ineffective for some as we do not attempt to address motivation. Applying game theory to learning, social learning strategies and promoting emotional learning are proven ways to address motivation. Unfortunately a lot of the people who are paid to teach are equally unmotivated.

I did a masters a few years back which was very well designed. There was a great focus was on social learning. We had to read each others projects as we were completing them and offer feedback in an online forum - most of what I learned was from interacting with others on the forum. We also had a group assignment with undergrads in another university which was a great learning experience for all.

As a side note, I would be very worried for any young person who takes a year off without a plan, especially if they have identified motivation as an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

What is the contact time in UL/LIT/MIC etc - I remember having about 16 hours a week on a humanities course. I don't think it a crazy situation to bring people in one full week a month. It will work out at the same time in class.
    There are many aspects to re-consider about society in general as we move further into the unknown. I hear lots of criticism about what is planned, however we have no level to compare what it's planned with.
    The only thing comparable is the TB outbreak in the 1950s, Polio perhaps and the 1918 flu. We are living on an alien planet if we try to compare life today with even 20 years ago.
    As the B'auld Kirk used to say "to go boldly..."; I think there will be a lot of trial and error before any organisation gets it right.

On a funny note: I met a man while out for a stroll and he was explaining to me the dangers of 5G and its links to Covid19, he described how when a vaccine is developed he won't be getting it because it will be designed to make us all more "sheeplish" among other conspiracy from The Man.
    As a joke I replied that they are also developing a Covid19 inoculation and that he should get that one when it's released. Sure wasn't he absolutely delighted when he heard there could be a potential alternative to a vaccination. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Some courses are probably low hours of contact time alright but courses I'm more familiar with are 30 hours plus and in 4th year they virtually live onsite to use the labs and studios for their fyp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Some courses are probably low hours of contact time alright but courses I'm more familiar with are 30 hours plus and in 4th year they virtually live onsite to use the labs and studios for their fyp.

Thanks, I didn't understand that some courses were more "full-time" as you described. Well now, there's a pickle for some coordinator to coordinate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Apparently there is murmurs from some lecturers/professors that it's not workable as it's currently being suggested

For labs, the number of students in a room will be 20% of what was normal. Also no pairing up.

A lot of parents have already booked accommodation and you'd have a large number of students who still need to rent in Limerick to try get part time work or because they have no bus/train/car to get to college from their home.

I'd say the rental market will only be impacted by those living within commuting distance of UL who are able to travel in for a week at a time and therefore won't have the same requirement or desire to rent closer to UL.

Yes the international students.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭sioda

Where in town would one buy reusable cloth masks with the mandatory wearing in shops coming in would like to get a few more

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

sioda wrote: »
    Where in town would one buy reusable cloth masks with the mandatory wearing in shops coming in would like to get a few more

Dunnes, Danis Closet and a few of traders at the Milk Market are places I've seen them.

Disposable ones are in most supermarkets, I don't like the idea of the plastic waste they generate, but they do if you're stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

sioda wrote:

Dunnes Parkway

Company I'm with used to be based on the campus of University of Limerick. Before Covid the company moved to Castletroy Industry Park. Heard if company was still on the UL campus it would have been near impossible to run as normal.

This is serious connotation for private companies on public grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

sioda wrote: »

Think Deals are doing them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Apparently there is murmurs from some lecturers/professors that it's not workable as it's currently being suggested
    Can confirm. Most lecturing staff got first sight of that snakes-and-ladders timetable only after it had already been circulated to students.

They might as well try to nail jelly to the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

peckerhead wrote: »
    Can confirm. Most lecturing staff got first sight of that snakes-and-ladders timetable only after it had already been circulated to students.

Most lidls should have 2 reusable masks for a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

peckerhead wrote: »

Staff were emailed on the 22nd June about this, students were emailed on or about 8th July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

YFlyer wrote: »

This is serious connotation for private companies on public grounds.

Please explain this further.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

For masks couldn't find stock in Dunnes and wasn't going to go around all the other shops, defeating the purpose of mixing with people trying to find a mask to supposedly protect other people so bought them online from Dunnes because I was able to buy both ladies and mens sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Cossax wrote: »
    Staff were emailed on the 22nd June about this, students were emailed on or about 8th July.
    In the institution I work in, lecturing staff were first circulated the rotational weekly teaching schedule at 5:05pm on 8 July, the same date as appears on the document. Glad to see you knew about it earlier. Are you a lecturer or do you work in admin?

oleras wrote: »
    Please explain this further.

I heard that there was no and limited access to companies on campus. Don't know about such companies like Point Impact, but access to the Tierney Building was out of bounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Berty wrote: »
    For masks couldn't find stock in Dunnes and wasn't going to go around all the other shops, defeating the purpose of mixing with people trying to find a mask to supposedly protect other people so bought them online from Dunnes because I was able to buy both ladies and mens sizes.

Same here also noticed that Circle K on the Corbally road sell reusable masks, assume they all have them, €5 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Anybody know if the Clare Glens is open again or still closed due to Covid-19? It opened for a bit, then was closed again (along with Lough Gur) at the end of May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I heard that there was no and limited access to companies on campus. Don't know about such companies like Point Impact, but access to the Tierney Building was out of bounds.

UL Campus is not public grounds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

osarusan wrote: »
    Anybody know if the Clare Glens is open again or still closed due to Covid-19? It opened for a bit, then was closed again (along with Lough Gur) at the end of May.

It was open last week

UL Campus is not public grounds though.

You're saying it is not belong to the University?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

You're saying it is not belong to the University?

No, I’m saying it’s not public grounds. UL is not a state owned university.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

osarusan wrote: »

Prob a bit late now but Clare Glens and Lough Gur reopened weeks ago.

No, I’m saying it’s not public grounds. UL is not a state owned university.

Ah ok. I'll have to check were staff of Stryker allowed access to the Tierney Building.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Toodles_27 wrote: »
    Prob a bit late now but Clare Glens and Lough Gur reopened weeks ago.

Is Mary I the only outdoor place still shut down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Is Mary I the only outdoor place still shut down?

A University/college isnt an outdoor place.

It'll reopen to the public when it's ready and safe to do so just like other third levels across Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement