Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too much thought of GAA Players

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Oops! wrote: »
    A certain Tipp player was complaining to the press a few years back about possibly having to emigrate due to not being able to find work.... Guess where he ended up after that...

Do guards in Ireland not have to attend an academy or need a 4yr college degree like they do in my state at least? Just curious.
    Also cherry picking a handful of players that got employment due to their status as top GAA players isn't fair. The GAA has doctors, phd track athletes, guys like Tipp's Shane O'D who spent a year studying at one of America's/world's top universities. I think overall the GAA has a disproportionate number of very educated & successful participants for a sport played at such a high level.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

I know a person in that studied in Mary I said its a joke the amount lads going there the last few years just to play hurling and get a handy degree

Id say there is very few of them worrying about rent and jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    Do guards in Ireland not have to attend an academy or need a 4yr college degree like they do in my state at least? Just curious.
    Also cherry picking a handful of players that got employment due to their status as top GAA players isn't fair. The GAA has doctors, phd track athletes, guys like Tipp's Shane O'D who spent a year studying at one of America's/world's top universities. I think overall the GAA has a disproportionate number of very educated & successful participants for a sport played at such a high level.

They do... But all who apply don't get a place. It's like most things in Ireland, all about who you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Swamp_Cat wrote: »

Totally agree re the spotlight oft placed on a few sucessful players.Shane O Donnell and Jack Mc Caffrey are two that spring to mind that have been extremely successful academically and much of the focus on the great sacrifices they have to make to both play/work.

I do not think it is that surprising that there may be a positive correlation between sports people who play at the highest level and high achievement in their career pathways.

Not aware of any actual research outside the ESRI study and certainly not pointing to a disproportionate number of high achievers in the GAA.All players have to apply via the CAO system and require the points for their chosen field/be successful in any interviews.

• Advertisement

They moan about welfare,physical and mental health(that one while real is a bandwagon also)
    Training matches etc
    Why play so?If your not enjoying or its too much dont play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

sasta le wrote: »
    I know a person in that studied in Mary I said its a joke the amount lads going there the last few years just to play hurling and get a handy degree

A sibling of mine was one of them, lasted a year! Never the cut of a teacher....

I always think of this sketch when i hear this sort of conversation... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGuc4E666F4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

sasta le wrote: »
    They moan about welfare,physical and mental health(that one while real is a bandwagon also)
    Training matches etc
    Why play so?If your not enjoying or its too much dont play

But sure, you moan about them moaning ?

Why read about them so ? If you're not enjoying or it's too much, don't read.

Really, the mediocre begrudgery of some of you no-marks is something to behold.

Advertisement