Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too much thought of GAA Players

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

I understand the OP’s point of view, find it amazing how ‘dedicated’ GAA lads are to training. 4 nights a week maybe. National Athletics, cycling or rowing athletes would be finishing their fourth session of the week around Wednesday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

nqtfarmer wrote: »
    I understand the OP’s point of view, find it amazing how ‘dedicated’ GAA lads are to training. 4 nights a week maybe. National Athletics, cycling or rowing athletes would be finishing their fourth session of the week around Wednesday evening

Yes, but who are they, and who knows about them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

theres plenty who do 2/3 pitch sessions then 3/4 gym so its more than 4 nights a week.
    I was involved workig in a gaa club for a while and would have seen many club players doing multiple gym and fitness sessions then their pitch sessions. Even when not out on pitch they would have their gym work and then doing skills sessions.
    Swimming, rowing, triathlons athletics etc do far more but think your criticism is a bit unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

Yes, but who are they, and who knows about them ?

Sonia o Sullivan, Thomas Barr, the o Donovan’s, Sean Kelly, Nicholas Roche, Ciara Meghan, Santos puspure, Katie Taylor, rob heffernan. But of course they are not from team sports or spectator sports so who cares? They’d never hit a 45 like Clucky would!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Sonia o Sullivan, Thomas Barr, the o Donovan’s, Sean Kelly, Nicholas Roche, Ciara Meghan, Santos puspure, Katie Taylor, rob heffernan. But of course they are not from team sports or spectator sports so who cares? They’d never hit a 45 like Clucky would!

But they are all legends/heros of their sport. So is Stephen Cluxton.
    So what's the difference?
    Some view Cluxton higher because they prefer GAA, other view Ciara Megan higher because they prefer Athletics.
    Some appreciate both and don't feel the need to differentiate.

• Advertisement

I care enough to know that it's Nicolas, Sanita, and Mageean.

Katie Taylor ? Sure, but no-one would have a fraction of the interest there is in her if she were a man. We've had plenty of world-class boxers, but boxing is out of fashion in general, unless it's about 'equality'.

Cycling, likewise. It's own fault. But let's not forget -

Sean Kelly was/is a hero, and Nicolas Roche's father likewise.

Most of the names you mentioned there are minority interest sports. That has nothing to do with the admirable commitment they make.

But then again, neither does the funding they receive for being something a bit more than amateur. Not that they get enough.

Heroism is in the eyes of the beholder. Way more people behold hurling than race walking, therefore...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Hero's, legends don't have to be on big winning teams to become so in their own locality.
    Longford hasn't had much success football wise, but we have had our hero's, great footballers who stuck at it year after year with little or no success, just the love of the game.
    A, quick mention of a few from my memory, Seany Mc Cormick, Dessie Barry, Paudgie Davis, Paul Barden, there are many others too.
    Mullinalaghta club which won the leinster club title last year.
    It's not always winning that makes you a great or a hero or legend, it's dedication and endeavour.

Hero's, legends don't have to be on big winning teams to become so in their own locality.
    Longford hasn't had much success football wise, but we have had our hero's, great footballers who stuck at it year after year with little or no success, just the love of the game.
    A, quick mention of a few from my memory, Seany Mc Cormick, Dessie Barry, Paudgie Davis, Paul Barden, there are many others too.
    Mullinalaghta club which won the leinster club title last year.
    It's not always winning that makes you a great or a hero or legend, it's dedication and endeavour.

YES.

It's an emotional connection, especially to a sense of place.

There's something specific about the Irish sense of place.

The GAA taps into that in a way that doesn't easily translate to other sports, no matter how much we admire or enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mammyod

Big difference between Sonia o Sullivan (who i admire as a sportsperson), and a "hero / legend" who has played with the last 20 years for his club. Big deal - s/she liked football / hurling , and was good at it, and was lucky enough to live in the same village all his/her life. Iv no problem with sports-people being seen heroes and legends, and kids looking up to them, great, but doesn't need to be so much in your face from other adults / media, as my post specifies.

Call in to Our Lady's Children's Hospital in Crumlin to see some real heroes in my eyes, who would give anything to be out playing a sport they love.

(oh must do my spell check now in case iv any errors again!! ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mammyod

YES.

It's an emotional connection, especially to a sense of place.

There's something specific about the Irish sense of place.

The GAA taps into that in a way that doesn't easily translate to other sports, no matter how much we admire or enjoy them.

so your saying it is different to other sports then?

• Advertisement

mammyod wrote: »

I was responding to, and agreeing with this obvious truth -

And that the GAA, being the only ubiquitous sporting organisation in Ireland, reflects that truth perfectly.

So it is 'different'. Whether anyone likes it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sk9

Big difference between Sonia o Sullivan (who i admire as a sportsperson), and a "hero / legend" who has played with the last 20 years for his club. Big deal - s/she liked football / hurling , and was good at it, and was lucky enough to live in the same village all his/her life. Iv no problem with sports-people being seen heroes and legends, and kids looking up to them, great, but doesn't need to be so much in your face from other adults / media, as my post specifies.

Call in to Our Lady's Children's Hospital in Crumlin to see some real heroes in my eyes, who would give anything to be out playing a sport they love.

(oh must do my spell check now in case iv any errors again!! ;) )

Sonia O'Sullivan is just good at putting one foot in front the other a few times in a row, "big deal" - if you speak about anything in such reductive terms it doesn't sound good does it? You ignore the bigger picture.

Also if you have a problem with people admiring football players, why come to a GAA forum where you will encounter these people in such high concentrations?

Finally, you can see heroes in Crumlin, and they sometimes get to meet their heroes; not really sure of the relevance "won't somebody think of the kids" angle
    though

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/the-morning-after-dublin-team-head-to-crumlin-childrens-hospital-after-legendary-five-in-a-row-win-38499832.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

What gets me is someone who goes to court for just say fighting. Paper has it that GAA star in brawl..

A star me would be shefflin..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

KaneToad wrote: »
    The threshold to becoming the top of your sport, if your sport is GAA, is quite low - in my opinion. Although, I suppose it depends on what you consider the top of GAA is? But, who am I to suggest who people should consider heroes or legends. Each to their own.

Edit: Apologies, have just realised this is the GAA forum. I thought it was AH. Will leave it to the GAA fans.

I’d say the threshold to becoming the top of your sport in GAA is still a lot higher than in a sport like rugby in fairness. The original post and some of the subsequent replies is just good old fashioned gaa bashing. If we take rugby for example every match a “club” there’s a laugh by the way. Munster play win or lose is some sort of legendary occasion. The Irish rugby team who finish 8th in a 9 team WC FFS are seen as legends too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

I get that people who can be considered legends or heroes in my eyes won't be considered the same by other people. But I or anyone else don't get to decide if people considered heroes or legends are worthy of hero/legend status.

It's all subjective, each to their own and all that. It's a bit like having a discussion over what the best colour is. There is no right/wrong answer.

I’d say the threshold to becoming the top of your sport in GAA is still a lot higher than in a sport like rugby in fairness. The original post and some of the subsequent replies is just good old fashioned gaa bashing. If we take rugby for example every match a “club” there’s a laugh by the way. Munster play win or lose is some sort of legendary occasion. The Irish rugby team who finish 8th in a 9 team WC FFS are seen as legends too.
    this is really bitter IMO...
    What's an issue with club being used in terms of Munster or other provinces?
    In no way is every situation munster or other provinces play in made out as legendary
    And saying rugby world cup is only 9 teams is just petty.

this is really bitter IMO...
    What's an issue with club being used in terms of Munster or other provinces?
    In no way is every situation munster or other provinces play in made out as legendary
    And saying rugby world cup is only 9 teams is just petty.

Who really considers Munster to be a club ?

Shannon is a club. Young Munster is a club. Garryowen is a club.

Munster is not a club. It's a representative team.

The same way that Kilkenny is not a club, it's a representative team.

Who really considers Munster to be a club ?

Shannon is a club. Young Munster is a club. Garryowen is a club.

Munster is not a club. It's a representative team.

The same way that Kilkenny is not a club, it's a representative team.
    that isnt a fair comparison at all. You dont see many of the Munster players playing club rugby as well. It isnt like Kilkenny hurlers or Kerry footballers.
    The pro rugby players only play AIL club rugby If injured, on comeback from injury or if they are 4th/5th choice and nowhere near getting any game time with the province. Munater very much are like a club. The provinces play minimum of 25 games a season in league/europe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Great for getting a community together

I agree.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

sasta le wrote: »
    They are always moaning about their welfare poor things

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

In relation to the question, I did view Derry GAA players as heroes when I was a boy but as I reached late teenage hood I realised they were just average men so it took the shine off them. In a sense I think it can be better that way as I don't even know who half the players are now by name, they are just a number on a shirt representing the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

I think their is way too much thought of GAA players.

Why is a GAA player who plays well often publicly referred to as a hero? (tv / radio / papers etc)

Why is a retired GAA player often publicly referred to as a legend?

Dont get me wrong - I think the GAA is great.

Great for getting a community together - for those interested in GAA.

Great for kids, who are interested in GAA.

I played myself when I was young, and was very good at it. Enjoyed it immensely.

But, had to move away to better myself, no jobs at home, went to collage etc.

Some people could manage to keep playing - worked for their parents maybe, or very lucky to find work near home. Great for them, No problems with that.

But , why are these people now often referred to as legends? Many still living with, or very close to mammy and daddy, working on parents business usually.

Why are they called hero's for playing well.

What about the kids who are good at say, art, or drama, or like reading? No one is publicly calling them "heros", and rightly so. Its not fair on them to be making so much of those who are into GAA.

What about the young person who's made a life for themselves elsewhere, got themselves well educated, good job - no one is publicly calling them "Legends", and rightly so. Standing on there own 2 feet, and not easy getting there .

GAA - its a game, with a ball, running around a field . . . all very good - but no need for it to be taking over, and so much in our face!!! There's other things out there, other interests.

:confused::confused::rolleyes::P

Someone sounds bitter towards those who have or made opportunities at home and were able to focus on the gaa.
    They are referred to as they are for the joy & pride their hard work occasionally brings to a parish. Same goes for IC.
    Sitting by a radio, pitch or television once or twice a week & forgetting about the future or whatever is going on is worth its weight in gold in this fast paced world.
    Plus, they are amateurs!

When I see 2, 3, & 4 generations out in the back garden with a sliotar or football, cheering on from the sideline, or 4-5 siblings lining out for their club I'm overcome by what a wonderful thing the gaa is. As an American I look at it from a slightly different perspective. ...and I'm a bit envious if I'm honest. The gaa to me is not the political, financial, or whatever other aspect or controversy. It's the above.
    +None of which would be possible without the hard work & many, many sacrifices they & oftentimes their families make.

When they use the words hero & warrior, etc. it can seem silly but I think everyone understands the difference between a 'hero' on the pitch & someone else like the pilot who landed his disabled commercial aircraft on an icy Hudson river saving every soul on board and other people who have done other incredible & or selfless acts. That example just happened to pop in my head.
    So, within reason, I've no problem with it. Also, the gaa has some of the most humble and intelligent young men & women of any high level athletics that I've ever seen.

Enjoy the secret treasure that Ireland has & don't worry about the little things. The GAA is special. Seeing a hurl in the hand of every youngster I passed is special. Seeing grandma decked out in her counties kit & cheering alongside her grandchildren is special. And so much more. That is why the hero label is used & it's fine by me. There's a lot of different varieties of hero. Just like my quiet, unassuming father who is not known or hasn't performed some great heroic act is still MY HERO.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Yes

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

I played minor hurling for Tournafulla in 1988 - West Limerick Championship.

HERO.

ambasite wrote: »
    I played minor hurling for Tournafulla in 1988 - West Limerick Championship.

HERO.

Anyone who comes from a place which translated into English means -

'animal-enclosure of blood'...

... is a hero in my eyes.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

Wackiest post I have ever seen on here. I suppose at this difficult time people just have too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Good job the club championships were finished earlier this year, there'd be a few disappointed hero's today but for it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,939 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s none of the OPs business what I or anyone thinks of a GAA player, what kind of esteem we hold them in or how much praise or adulation they receive. Same as any other sports person or musician say playing and performing or anyone on the planet for that matter...

I’ve never personally referred to any sports person as a hero but if anyone wants to it’s a free country...they work hard to deliver success or try to, to entertain and enthrall, hero’s ? Who knows, to some people sure... nobody really has a place advocating that people should temper their respect, love, enjoyment etc..or how they describe their liking thereof... OP.. find something more worthwhile to be perplexed about... if you think the national tiddlywinks champion is a superhero to you, I’m not going to challenge or begrudge your feeling and opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

I was crap at Gaa but love it but deffo they are becoming Divas and too much thought of them?
    Look at how many are guards?Think they all in got without Gaa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

sasta le wrote: »
    I was crap at Gaa but love it but deffo they are becoming Divas and too much thought of them?
    Look at how many are guards?Think they all in got without Gaa

A certain Tipp player was complaining to the press a few years back about possibly having to emigrate due to not being able to find work.... Guess where he ended up after that...

Advertisement