Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Awkwardstroke

Does anyone have any idea what % of people with the final AP interview here that get on a panel? (Ie 25 or 50% etc).

Curious to know the odds (if I get through the Etray)

Findlk wrote: »
    That's frustrating alright. Especially when previous rounds seemed to go so much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kennyrach

Like you I'm due to do the video interview and love the tips so far. Everyone is referencing the etray exercise. I did this previously in the 2018 AP (missed out by 2 points) but I also had to do the 3 other exams too so is it just the etray or a repeat of the exams amd the etray?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭derailed

Kennyrach wrote: »
    Like you I'm due to do the video interview and love the tips so far. Everyone is referencing the etray exercise. I did this previously in the 2018 AP (missed out by 2 points) but I also had to do the 3 other exams too so is it just the etray or a repeat of the exams amd the etray?

Its just the etray and if you get through that you progress to the final stage interview. You do not need to repeat the original aptitude tests anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Findlk wrote: »
    That's frustrating alright. Especially when previous rounds seemed to go so much quicker.

But to be fair the interviews only finished on Friday for this batch. Perhaps you get the 4pm bank holiday result.
    I'm hoping for that myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

But to be fair the interviews only finished on Friday for this batch. Perhaps you get the 4pm bank holiday result.
    I'm hoping for that myself!

Just got my Ap interview results. Successful. So the rest of you should be getting yours if you haven't gotten them already

• Advertisement

Congrats! Not long at all. Hopefully the etray will be out shortly!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Findlk

Congratulations Machalla, hopefully not too long until you get placed now. Great way to head into a bank holiday weekend!

Just got my results. In spite of what I thought was a poor interview by my standards, I have passed in all areas and got a successful outcome. Very happy with my position on order of merit and hoping for an offer before too long. After over 15 years mainly spent in CS, I am absolutely delighted. Best of luck to everyone else and happy to share any further pieces of advice I have for any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Findlk

Woohoo, Congratulations. Delighted, and thank you for all your posts, they've helped a lot.
    derailed wrote: »
    Just got my results. In spite of what I thought was a poor interview by my standards, I have passed in all areas and got a successful outcome. Very happy with my position on order of merit and hoping for an offer before too long. After over 15 years mainly spent in CS, I am absolutely delighted. Best of luck to everyone else and happy to share any further pieces of advice I have for any stage.

Well done! Keep us posted on your timelines so we can estimate for our own selfish reasons :D

• Advertisement

Well done! Keep us posted on your timelines so we can estimate for our own selfish reasons :D

Thanks! Will keep posting here and give updates along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JulsSF2021

Just got placed 25th on Dublin panel. I've been out of CS for 12 years and delighted to be coming back in at a higher grade. Anyone have any sense of how many positions there will be or how quickly things will move?

Many thanks for all the good wishes,that's really kind of you.

Just to thank you all for the help provided by those who have gone before and shared their experiences. It really helped and it's a great credit to you that you did so.

I hope the next batch of us are equally as successful.

JulsSF2021 wrote: »
    Just got placed 25th on Dublin panel. I've been out of CS for 12 years and delighted to be coming back in at a higher grade. Anyone have any sense of how many positions there will be or how quickly things will move?

From what I've heard things are moving very fast. The number of retirements from the civil service are only picking up pace.

Best of luck with it and congratulations on your placing.

machalla wrote: »
    From what I've heard things are moving very fast. The number of retirements from the civil service are only picking up pace.

Well done again. Given the rate of retirements and those projected over next 5 years can see these competitions coming up on an annual basis for the foreseeable future. Also expect this competition to move fast with further batches coming through.

machalla wrote: »

Thanks so much Machalla and congrats to you too! I was surprised to see that this batch of interviews was for Kildare, Wexford, Meath and Dublin. I live in the west so only had Dublin down as a third choice. I presume there is no chance of getting called for my actual first preferences?

What is the transfer process like if I wanted to get back West?

Thanks so much Machalla and congrats to you too! I was surprised to see that this batch of interviews was for Kildare, Wexford, Meath and Dublin. I live in the west so only had Dublin down as a third choice. I presume there is no chance of getting called for my actual first preferences?

What is the transfer process like if I wanted to get back West?

Congrats on your result! A lot depends on mobility options at AP level in terms of being able to go back West. I think we only had two choices for location in this competition but most vacancies would initially be Dublin based.

Congrats on your result! A lot depends on mobility options at AP level in terms of being able to go back West. I think we only had two choices for location in this competition but most vacancies would initially be Dublin based.

Thanks Derailed and congrats to you too! I guess I'll get in the door and see what my options are.

Best of luck to everyone still going through the (arduous) process!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mbwb

Congratulations! the panel moves very quickly, I was in the last batch (interviews were in March) and I believe the panel lasted about a month, I'm an AP since Mid April.

Mbwb wrote: »
    Congratulations! the panel moves very quickly, I was in the last batch (interviews were in March) and I believe the panel lasted about a month, I'm an AP since Mid April.

How did your placement go?

Did you get allocated to something you had familiarity with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Butterfly06

Congrats to those who placed and commiserations to those who were unsuccessful
    I’m happy to report I was also successful, placing in single digits for the open/interd
    Think it’s only registering now as I too thought I hadn’t performed well at interview
    Now to decide if I want to stay in current dept or take the plunge!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Congratulations. Interviews are rarely as bad as they seem and in Civil Service competitions they are one of many factors. Even if you find yourself on the back foot, the weight of experience, tangible achievements and properly engaging with the questions, despite wanting to talk about something else, will shine through.

Mbwb wrote: »

Wow, very quick! Congrats on your promotion

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sunny7700

Does anyone know if everyone who passed stage 1 (inital aptitude tests) has been called to stage 2 video interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Smart1982

Congrats to those who placed and commiserations to those who were unsuccessful
    I’m happy to report I was also successful, placing in single digits for the open/interd
    Think it’s only registering now as I too thought I hadn’t performed well at interview
    Now to decide if I want to stay in current dept or take the plunge!!!

Congrats on placing so high on the panel - i too got placed (late teens)and I’m keen to monitor progress of appointments from this batch. As PAS are not taking any calls and are slow to reply to emails can you tell me if and when you are appointed? Do you even know if the last batch has been exhausted?

Smart1982 wrote: »
    Congrats on placing so high on the panel - i too got placed (late teens)and I’m keen to monitor progress of appointments from this batch. As PAS are not taking any calls and are slow to reply to emails can you tell me if and when you are appointed? Do you even know if the last batch has been exhausted?

Thank you! And huge congrats to you too..I will of course haven’t yet had a chance to talk to my own HR dept to see what, if any, my options are! Afaik they’ve called down as far as 86 so I presume they’ve brought everyone who passed forward at this stage..?? Or very close to it at least!

Thank you! And huge congrats to you too..I will of course haven’t yet had a chance to talk to my own HR dept to see what, if any, my options are! Afaik they’ve called down as far as 86 so I presume they’ve brought everyone who passed forward at this stage..?? Or very close to it at least!

Sorry misread your message yes last batch fully exhausted

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭boris232

Do anyone know where most of the positions in Dublin have been i.e. city centre or elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

sunny7700 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if everyone who passed stage 1 (inital aptitude tests) has been called to stage 2 video interview?

Everyone in the whole country? As far as I know, there’s lots of people who have passed and haven’t been called yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

boris232 wrote: »
    Do anyone know where most of the positions in Dublin have been i.e. city centre or elsewhere.

We'd have no way of knowing that? They're AP positions, so generally based in civil service buildings, most of which will be in Dublin 2, some in Dublin 1 - Baggot Street to Marlborough Street to the Four Courts to Dublin Castle. And with some further outside the city centre, more likely if you were assigned to an agency.

Advertisement