Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

To those who have done it - once the 3 mins for the question expires, how long do you have until the next question comes up?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

quad_red wrote: »
    To those who have done it - once the 3 mins for the question expires, how long do you have until the next question comes up?

I think it was 60 sec. Just enough time to drink some water and get your focus. Rip it off like a bandaid! Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭InsideEdge

MrsBean wrote: »
    I think it was 60 sec. Just enough time to drink some water and get your focus. Rip it off like a bandaid! Best of luck.
    Yes, it's enough time to take a sip and to compose yourself for the next question. The very best of luck everyone. I've just finished mine, I used the app on my phone for best sound quality and I looked like a ventriloquist's dummy, hopefully I never have to do that again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Skulls

Hi all.

What competencies were asked for in the online video shortlisting interview please?
    Did he all use the STAR method when answering,?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

Just about to do mine now. Better put on a shirt and tie, I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Marie_C

delricyo wrote: »
    Just about to do mine now. Better put on a shirt and tie, I suppose!

Best of luck! Check the light on your camera first so the glare from the window doesn’t effect you. Shirt + tie + shorts! They’ll never know, comfort + professionalism.

Marie_C wrote: »
    Best of luck! Check the light on your camera first so the glare from the window doesn’t effect you. Shirt + tie + shorts! They’ll never know, comfort + professionalism.

Many thanks! Shirt+tie+tracksuit bottom is as professional as I get for lockdown videos :)

Just to note that I find that webcamera.io is a good website to do a quick check on how your recording will appear

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭supersaint3

Brain is fried after that where's the wine 🤯

Skullz- if you have time then a brief star is no harm, one or 2 of the Q's specifically mentions outcome. I would.mirror and reflect the language of the question and competencies too but that's just my take.

Thought the platform was very easy to use and straightforward in fairness to them

Good luck all

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Adman13

That was tough - hard to get any personality into it when you're watching the clock. Best of luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DFA123

Adman13 wrote: »
    That was tough - hard to get any personality into it when you're watching the clock. Best of luck all.

I'd agree. face to face even over video is so much better/easier and less stressful than this.

Hopefully the turnaround won't be too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 eimscc

I got oom 80 (open dublin). I did the etray etc last time and failed one of the competencies in the interview!
    Can't see them doing the on site retests etc this time.. would expect it will just be based on the application, online tests and the online interview..
    Anyone know what stage 3 is?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Sarahlaois

Hi all.....
    A bit late asking this question but is the order if merit we received from stage one for our county chosen only? Or us it a 'countrywide' order of merit?
    Thanks 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Marie_C

Sarahlaois wrote: »
    Hi all.....
    A bit late asking this question but is the order if merit we received from stage one for our county chosen only? Or us it a 'countrywide' order of merit?
    Thanks 😊

I think it’s nationwide. When you get to the final stage & pass the interview you get an OOM for your chosen counties. Could be incorrect though but that’s my understanding

Marie_C wrote: »
    I think it’s nationwide. When you get to the final stage & pass the interview you get an OOM for your chosen counties. Could be incorrect though but that’s my understanding

Thanks Marie .. thats great news. I'll just wait til they start calling my county so. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Hi all, been lurking through this so far with regards to the process. Got an email there yesterday saying that there was a quality review done on my video interview and it would have to be redone by Thursday midnight, has this happened to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Enova

Hi all, been lurking through this so far with regards to the process. Got an email there yesterday saying that there was a quality review done on my video interview and it would have to be redone by Thursday midnight, has this happened to anyone else?

Hi berocca2016,
    No I haven't received anything other than a confirmation from Sonru that the interview was saved. I would like to get some acknowledgement from PAS, has anyone else received one?
    Best of luck with your second take, I know it's no fun but it's nice to get a do over.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Enova wrote: »
    Hi berocca2016,
    No I haven't received anything other than a confirmation from Sonru that the interview was saved. I would like to get some acknowledgement from PAS, has anyone else received one?
    Best of luck with your second take, I know it's no fun but it's nice to get a do over.

Thank, finding the whole process a bit random but time to put a shirt, tie and trakkies on again!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭lucat

Sorry to go off-topic a bit, but what does everyone think the likelihood of a batch 2 being called, considering the lack of turnover there must be now and lack of funding now it's being diverted to covid economic support?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ap2020

lucat wrote: »
    Sorry to go off-topic a bit, but what does everyone think the likelihood of a batch 2 being called, considering the lack of turnover there must be now and lack of funding now it's being diverted to covid economic support?
    Still a fair bit of turnover - a lot of APs are hitting retirement age. Even more POs are, with consequential vacancies arising that are mostly filled out of the ranks of APs (or turned into AP roles where funding gets squeezed).

A dip in recruitment is likely, but only to a certain degree. Very quickly one would end up with pretty serious shortages. In cutback times that might be fine, but covid is increasing the amount of work being done by the state not decreasing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Enova wrote: »
    Hi berocca2016,

No - just received a confirmation from Sonru as you mentioned above.

Thank you for completing the video interview.
    It has been saved and is now ready for Public Appointments Service to review.

Sonru Survey - food for thought
    The candidate experience is very important to us and the interviewers using Sonru. We love gathering feedback from candidates to enable us to continuously improve the system to make the experience better for you, the candidate.
    Please complete our Candidate Survey
    To thank you for your time and co-operation, Sonru will make a donation (for every survey completed) to Concern Worldwide

Best of luck
    The Sonru Team

• Advertisement

I got the same email. A bit annoyed with it as I wanted to be done and dusted with it by now.
    Frustrating thing is, that I completed the tech tests before starting the interview. I also use my camera and microphone all day on my computer for work.

I don't mean this to be smart but did you watch back what you had recorded after you finished and did it look ok? It is frustrating but treat it as a positive, you get a second go at it! I fluffed saying Assistant Principal and said it like Athissent Prinshiple at the end of one of my answers. Would love a second go at that! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Has anyone ever used any interview prep company for a civil service interview? Worth the investment?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DFA123

Publicjobs said there plan was to have the results out for this stage as soon as possible and likely at the very start of August. Hopefully that will be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

DFA123 wrote: »
    Publicjobs said there plan was to have the results out for this stage as soon as possible and likely at the very start of August. Hopefully that will be the case.

where did they say that?
    Ohh goodie, I wonder if that means batch 2 will be called quick enough??

Do they usually call batch 1 for the rest of country before they start batch 2 for Dublin? Or is all the focus on Dublin first?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chaos Black

I would firmly take a fire off what you need to do at every stage and forget it until the next round of results. No one here knows anymore then the rest and PAS will issue results in their own time regardless of what they may say to someone on a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭glen25

Hi all. I got a score of 127 and my email said I would be called to shortlisting interview stage but I haven’t heard anything yet. Are they calling people in smaller batches up to this point? I see people now talking about the second batch being called so I’m starting to get a bit worried!

glen25 wrote: »
    Hi all. I got a score of 127 and my email said I would be called to shortlisting interview stage but I haven’t heard anything yet. Are they calling people in smaller batches up to this point? I see people now talking about the second batch being called so I’m starting to get a bit worried!

As far as I'm aware they called those who selected Dublin and scored 126 or higher forward to stage 2. Did you select Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭glen25

MrsBean wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware they called those who selected Dublin and scored 126 or higher forward to stage 2. Did you select Dublin?
    I had to check there! No, I didn’t select Dublin so it all makes sense now. Thank you

Advertisement