Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Strike confirmed in Tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Thunder and Lightning near overhead now - D14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

There were a few clatters of thunder and lightning here near Arklow a little while ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Some big a$$ rumbles of thunder in D24!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭YESROH

Big Bang and flash in Rathfarnham lashing now. Love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Few rumbles and heavy rain in D6 a few mins ago

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Biggest hailstones Ive ever seen in Bray, they are deafening against the Velux windows upstairs...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Met Eireann rainfall radar display hasn't updated in the app and website for an hour now

Met Eireann rainfall radar display hasn't updated in the app and website for an hour now
    Working again now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Saw green lightning in the clouds in South Dublin earlier. Impressive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

London about to enjoy some sparks. A squall line with lots of lightning in it heading that way

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Interesting set up being shown by the models for this weekend with a cut off Low finding its way into the bay of Biscay by Thurs and currently the models show it to begin to move N Friday into Saturday sending bands of rain up over the country. Saturday ECM and ICON showing thunderstorm potential as the upper low and it's associated cool uppers move in over Ireland and possibly bands of rain with a high Theta E reading. This kind of set up often produces thunderstorms for Ireland. No doubt long way off but good to watch to see what unfolds. Bit of interest anyway :)

5xtWdiq.gif

wEBgp6R.png

pAI4fyz.png

toogIxt.png

2wmb2qY.png

If I may say so politely, I hope this set up sees the sky rip itself asunder with a good storm. We haven't had one here in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

If I may say so politely, I hope this set up sees the sky rip itself asunder with a good storm. We haven't had one here in years.

I wish!

We had a fantastic storm in Kildare in June 2016 that started early evening and went on well into the early hours. Near constant thunder and frequent lightning with incredible rainfall.

Feck all since. Anything that looked remotely promising jist fizzled out with little action.

Hoping for a show!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

KildareP wrote: »
    I wish!

We had a fantastic storm in Kildare in June 2016 that started early evening and went on well into the early hours. Near constant thunder and frequent lightning with incredible rainfall.

Feck all since. Anything that looked remotely promising jist fizzled out with little action.

Hoping for a show!

Don’t remember any such event in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

pad199207 wrote: »
    Don’t remember any such event in Kildare
    https://www.thejournal.ie/lightning-weather-power-monday-2808636-Jun2016/

I do!

We were in the middle of moving into our house and it kicked off as we were nearly finished unloading the car.

We are in North Kildare, on the Offaly border and it travelled North of us but very close by for a lot of it.

KildareP wrote: »
    I wish!

Hoping for a show!

Actually I do remember that one and it was good, but not a patch on 85 or 86. Those nights were good enough to stick in a frame and hang on a wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

A repeat of that epic night in May 2018 for south East Cork would be welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

A repeat of that epic night in May 2018 for south East Cork would be welcome!

I was out with a silage crew near Clonakilty high up with a half dozen tv / phone masts within a mile of us. Craziest night ever. We could have turned off tractor lights and driven away fine with the amount of lightning that was going on that night. There was a deluge fell about 2 am as We were finishing. Last drop of rain that was seen for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Has anyone noticed dust/ sand on their windows outside? Has this blown from the desert?

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed dust/ sand on their windows outside? Has this blown from the desert?

Yep. Here in Castlebar. Noticed it first thing this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

My car has been getting coated with dust regularly for the last few weeks :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Same PITA cleaning it off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Plenty of dust here but its all the locally grown sort!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Chance of a few thundery showers tomorrow in the afternoon

anim_sow8.gif

anim_xgv2.gif

ECM showing some preliminary rather tasty convective charts over the weekend for Thunderstorms both Saturday and Sunday and possibly overnight Sat as well . Could see some locally heavy rain and hail possible also.

Some high Theta E readings, temperatures in to the low 20's on Sat for many, up to around 20C on Sunday. Dp 12 or 13C on Sat and some crazy high DP showing on Sunday in the W and NW of 16C, Sticky !

Probably seeing good low LLS and decent DLS at times

Some high Vorticity readings, might even see funnels .

Some notable convergence zones would be possible as a Low center moves close to us or over us but exact position and timing will know sooner to the weekend.

So will be interesting to see what happens, long way off of course and will take a while yet to be able to pinpoint areas with most chance of Thunderstorms.

Met Eireann : Saturday and Sunday will both bring sunny spells and widespread heavy showers, some of hail and thunder.

2Dfx1af.png

yUl1qWd.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Some intense thunderstorm activity likely (especially in the southern half of the country) over the weekend says Michelle Dillon on the 9 news weather forecast. Exciting times.

That was some forecast from Michelle Dillon after the 9 news. She mentioned intense thunderstorms a good few times mostly likely Saturday,in the south.
    Shes sticking her neck out,its a long way off yet. It would be great to get some proper storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Ooooh if we get a remake of 2018 may here in cork city I think a lot of us would be very happy :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chris2007

what about the chances in dublin the weekend

Advertisement