Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

There are some sferics being picked up now in the Irish sea south of the Wicklow border with Wexford, could be a good night for some.

Lightning getting closer here near Arklow,those innocuous looking showers in the irish sea are electrifying
    Very bright now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Witnessing the best/worst lightning storm I've ever seen here in Waterford.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

WRF never picked up tonight's storm in the SE but going all out tomorrow .

Impossible to be accurate on rainfall amounts but showing potential for 50 to 70 mm in Clare ! ECM showing up to 25mm in pockets in the Western half of the country. AROME showing 15 to 20 mm in just a few places but 30 to 40 over high ground in Kerry. ICON shows pockets of 15 to 25mm but 5 to 10 mm generally. EURO 4 showing verh high totals in areas in Munster and the NW. So looks like definitely chance of spot flooding in places, probably will carry warnings tomorrow, could be a few severe storms .

anim_ibw2.gif

anim_wfc2.gif

nmm_uk1-25-27-4_vga0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Latest satellite analysis has growing cells (red) from the Welsh terrain making a beeline for Dublin (black lines), according to cooling rates of cloudtops, but it remains to be seen if they make it that far. The next frame could show them decaying, as that's what's been happening all evening.

516317.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,474 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Decent chance here in the east now tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

How likely is that storm going to reach cork city??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,474 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Lightning getting closer here near Arklow,those innocuous looking showers in the irish sea are electrifying
    Very bright now

Picking up sferics near you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Wow!! Look at the radar come alive in last 15mins

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

here in Dunshaughlin I went outside and looked towards Dublin, can see extremely faint flashes every now and then. If faint flashes are visible from here they have to be a bit more visible from Dublin looking south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

sunbabe08 wrote: »

Looking at lightning maps, it seems to be turning northwest towards Limerick unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Great display here in Kilkenny, can see the lightning to the south and to the east, very constant and heard one rumble in the distance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

sunbabe08 wrote: »

Still firing for now anyway

ez5MLMt.png?1

8yeKtMP.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gonzo wrote: »
    here in Dunshaughlin I went outside and looked towards Dublin, can see extremely faint flashes every now and then. If faint flashes are visible from here they have to be a bit more visible from Dublin looking south.

Lol they're not terribly faint here at the moment I can tell you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

It is absolutely insane here in Waterford !! I have seen some thunder storms in my time but never anything like this , it’s been constant rolling thunder and lightning for over a hour now !

• Registered Users Posts: 37,804 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

best fun ive had in a long time

few cans and a rare thunderstorm

Hope everyone is safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Thought I was going mad there or some electric fault outside the house, flashes every minute or so

NetWeather

Theres a bit to go in this one yet

FwcFAKB.png

qmy07J2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Pushing up over Kilkenny. Lots of flashes and distant rolls of thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No rain yet which is what we really need!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Would expect a flash weather warning from Met Eireann

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I love lightning, any chance it might make it to Macroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kegg

Did I hear a can being opened in the middle of that? Who could blame ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Looking east from cork city in seeing a ton of flashes 😊😊

• Registered Users Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

kegg wrote: »
    Did I hear a can being opened in the middle of that? Who could blame ya.

No that was a sheep.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Definitely tomorrow could be fun for quite a few people. Even here in Meath there is an outside chance of a storm or at least a few cracks of thunder.

nmmuk-6-17-0.png?13-22

This chance lasts for most of tomorrow and into the evening.

nmmuk-6-24-0.png?13-23

Monday could still be storms just about anywhere.

nmmuk-6-50-0.png?13-23

Tuesday also a possibility over Leinster.

nmmuk-6-69-0.png?13-23

Every chance as well those lucky enough to experience a decent storm tomorrow could have some crazy deluges to go along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kegg

No that was a sheep.

:books hearing test:

Thunder and lightening to the east of Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

In south Laois and can see the flashes further south.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Epic storm in Waterford City. The best show of Lightning I have ever seen here. Check my Twitter feed for a few streams I did Live @waterfdweather

Advertisement