Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ah now the mask has slipped I knew it would not take long - the financially doped argument is for other threads. The moderators do not permit its discussion here.

Laois contains many commuter dormitory towns to Dublin, they have access to facilities. Many Laois people have played for Dublin clubs such as Colm Parkinson. Surely those with know how from Laois would be learning something?

In my opinion if you think the stats stand for themselves with Portlaoise football, you are deluding yourself.

Utterly dominate at Laois club level football. Yet unable to really shake things up outside Laois.

Portlaoise last Leinster club came in 2009 - yet were dominant in the Laois from 02 -19.

How many chances does a team need?

--

I have already answered the population argument in another post. And it is well covered in other threads. Such as 'dominance of Dublin GAA' etc

KK have a population similar to Laois and seem to do very well for themselves.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tom_Crean

Mod Edit

Warning isssued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

I've issued a couple of warnings and deleted a half dozen posts.

Kindly, post in a non-personal, constructive and engaging manner, unlike the Tripe I just deleted.

If you feel you can't, simply don't post.

I have did a bit of research apparently Loais football is rife with apathy. And they are going to create a new ‘roadmap’.

Even back in 2013 Colm Begley openly admitted Laois underachieved due to immaturity.

‘We were probably a bit immature in some senses and didn’t realise the work that had to be done’ - Begley

This to me partly explains the flakiness I associate with Laois football in general. As an outsider looking in.

Leading to that consistent inconsistency. Laois even failed to build on the Leinster win in 03. Who had that underage crop the country was talking about. Wouldn’t you think the back door system would have helped them? But blew it straight away in 04 despite Westmeath beating Dublin. And they beat Meath and flopped as favs v Westmeath. Laois football flaky since IMO.

“I think, at times with Laois, it can be a case of 10 of our 15 will play, or 6 of our 15 and the next day the opposite will happen’ - Begley.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Yes a lot of rural counties apathetic, I wonder why 🤔 Something changed. To think you posted on Laois here this morning, and spent 22 minutes editing your post says a lot about you. You like to have the last say. It doesn't make you right, just you bore people to death. You must not have slept soundly last night.

Amazing how flaky Dublin were before the 'change' 😉1991 v Meath, 1992 v Donegal, 1993 v Derry, 1994 v Down. Helped over the line with a sent off Charlie Redmond still on the field, and a clear free denied Tyrone in 1995. Bottle job v Laois 2003 and Armagh the same year when a petulant Cluxton kicked an Armagh player. Bottled against Westmeath in 2004. Bottle job v Mayo in 2006, Tyrone trounced Pillars blue book brigade in 2008. Startled earwigs v Kerry 2009.

Hurlers can't be manufactured with the 'change' as has been shown.

You're on ignore now. Time wasting wind bag.

Post edited by Tom_Crean on

• Advertisement

I am just making my point clear to you. Simple as that. You on the other hand seem very emotive - maybe a Portlaoise man ?

Which might explain it in part. You on the other hand go on tangents unrelated to my point. Pure ‘what about’ stuff. Many Loais people seem to agree that Laois have underachieved. So I am not imagining the flakiness aspect.

No you're the emotive one spending so much time on a post on a Sunday morning. So invested in your precious Dubs. Who needed a 'change' to get them over the line.

I on the other hand have a life.

You had no point. You were presented with the fact Portlaoise were joint top on the football club roll of honour in Leinster. This triggered something in you to belittle Portlaoise, post a video of a player missing a free.

Did a Portlaoise man or woman drop you?! 😂😂

You had no point, faced with a fact, Portlaoise have 7 Leinsters, you became abusive. A terrible indictment on you as a person. Anger, bitterness, couldn't even let go the following day. No class.

I have animals to feed, not a Portlaoise man. Good luck.

Again on a tangent you have yet to say why Laois are not flaky and produce a counter argument. Time and time again you have gone on tangents. Said you were gone and returned again! Like a boomerang.

I have backed up my points - you on the other hand have just ranted and raved at all sorts. In an incoherent mess.

By the way the word for hot air in Irish is not 'mála aeir'. That would be more for cars 'airbags'.

The correct word you want is 'baothchaint' or 'gaotaireacht'.

You have said Laois' problems were not Dublin's fault then did a 180 on it and blamed Dublin. Zero consistency there. Trying to look for others to blame it seems.

Laois (Portalaoise) last sustained success was in the 1980's at club level. Game was more simple then. Portlaoise have had the run of the Laois championship for the last 20 years or so. And done little with it. That is the real truth of it. The same as Laois underage success in the 00's it was not capitalised on for whatever reason.

Yet you seem adamant on comparing Portlaoise to Vincent's in terms of 'success'. Not looking at any obvious variables whatsoever!

More difficult championship etc. It is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

wonder will the parnell pass be brought out in the new year have heard nothing i suppose crowds at games will be an issue again but league starting in a month so would be good to hear something soon .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Not sure. Says in the article he doesnt have to switch clubs so I'd imagine not. He will carry on playing with Judes and play for Sligo is how it reads to me.

Just thought some bere might be interested in the move after some speculation about would he or would he not be worth a look in the Dublin panel. Same as us in the Kerry thread. Doesn't say much for his ambitions but puts the speculation to bed at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭eire4

How is he eligible to make the switch to Sligo? Sorry but I have always been a bit foggy on what exactly are the rules that do allow for a player to switch to another county from where he was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭obi604

hi,

in regard to the Walsh cup hurling match between Galway and Dublin on 16th Jan, does anyone know the venue, I presume its Parnell Park?

At least Paul has let it be known he will not be available this year early so it can be done and dusted .We will miss him it cuts down a scoring option so we really need some guys to step up .I wonder did Dessie speak to him about returning if he did fair enough and thank Paul for what he has done . A good bit of work for the management this year by the looks of things to improve on from last year but we'll wait and see .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I think it was more or less confirmed a couple of months back by the crokes manager that he wasn't coming back.

It's a huge loss with him and Jack MC out of the team.

I'm still really looking forward to see how the likes of the basquels and in particular bugler progress this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭billyhead

Lee Gannon is a good prospect. I'm looking forward to seeing him getting game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

We are gone back into the pack now, the conveyor belt of talent that O'Rourke talked about has dried up. I'd say you'd have Kerry as favs, Tyrone next then Mayo and Dublin. It was great while it lasted. We are firmly in a re-building phase now. We will still be there or thereabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

what type of a minor team have dublin for this year does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭billyhead

What's the general feeling surrounding Dessie as manager. From a few Dublin fans I've talked to their not impressed so far. He's had a difficult start through no fault of his own with COVID and experienced players leaving.

Paddy Power have it Dublin & Kerry 6/4, Mayo & Tyrone 9/1, Donegal 16/1. 20/1 the field.

No idea how the Kerry hype train is still going so strong that they're 6/4 joint favs when they've consistently proven to fail. Laughable that Tyrone are 9/1 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭eire4

Thanks for that. So a player can potentially play for another county from the one in which he was born if one of his parents were born in another county is that how it works?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Tyrone definitely worth a punt. If Dooher and Logan can lead them to winning Sam in their first season, imagine what they can do in season 2. I know it's extremely difficult to win back to back, but that Tyrone team is a young team and are dogged enough to suggest that they won't sit on their laurels after winning in one year. I see them as being a big force this year.

Personally i do not have a lot of faith in him i think he had a very poor year last year the training shambles then the keep ball tactic in matches he did nothing to change things against Mayo when everyone could see what was unfolding. His man management too seems to be suspect i think he got a bit lucky with the one he won but having said that he took over when we could only go down and he deserves a chance to get us back on track we shall see .

See Farrell has said Ckuxton won't be involved this year so probably safe so say he has retired from county duty at this point

Hopefully that should finally put an end to any ideas he was coming back surprised some still held out hope he might .

I am a bit mixed on Dessie so far. Stepping back from it objectively, he got the impossible job the only way is down etc. But there has been huge turnover in the panel even since the 2018 final. I think it is 12 of that panel that have are now left.

In a funny way there is no real expectation or pressure on Dessie as Dublin fans know a big rebuild is needed. It was only Jim Gavin’s game management/nous that have papered over the cracks precovid in the last few years IMO.

Dublin would not have won the five in row under any other manager I think. IMO Gavin knew that it was at the limit. The fall was coming. And the five in a row was landed - just.

Dessie probably has a ‘ pressure free’ four or five years to rebuild the Dublin panel in progressive manner. I think any longer than that any questions will be asked.

The win for Dessie for the six in a row, I don’t count. Covid bansjaxed it. Might as well have been an O’Bryne Cup win IMO.

In answer to your question I judge Dessie after that year. The squad is weaker, but he also made errors tactically and on the sideline IMO.

But because Dessie was a Dublin favourite as a player, plus did well with the underage lads- he will be given about 4/5 years by most fans, to blood new players. And it is a chance to do a badly needed freshening up of the Dublin squad.

There is no bench to ‘save’ Dublin in the last 20 mins anymore. A few injuries of key players and suddenly this current Dublin panel can struggle.

I have lowered my expectations from previous years and now just want to see new players developed. Dessie should be the man for that particularly as a clutch of the potential and coming players are from his own club - Na Fianna.

Then hopefully Dessie will have left some building blocks for the manager after him. Similar to what Pillar did when he managed Dublin. Leaving a raw team that just needed a hard edge. Only this time around there will be a good few multiple AI winners hanging around even by then. So it should be a bit easier.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Yeah i agree. I think it all revolves around what happens behind the scenes and it remains to be seen if Dessie has a grip on this. The withdrawals from the panel and the rumblings of disquiet (sometimes just idle rumours of course) don't fill me with confidence.

If Dublin are to regain supremacy they'll have to show the desire and togetherness that characterised Gavins team.

Advertisement