Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Poor day for Labour all round really. Some significant losses in England and Wales. Some votes gained in Scotland, but that looks more to do with unionists tactically voting and not splitting the vote in certain constituencies. Disastrous for Stamer really. They're already blaming Corbyn. Bit of a dead horse at this stage.

Turns out berating your voter core for being idiot racists and focusing on niche social issues they dont relate to dosnt win you votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Turns out berating your voter core for being idiot racists and focusing on niche social issues they dont relate to dosnt win you votes.

It does win you votes but sadly only in constituencies in the cities that were going to vote Labour anyway which is useless in a FPTP system.

No overall losses in Wales though so obviously the Welsh are more keen on niche social issues. Weird because apparently all working class people are alienated by Labour

As I said this morning English politics is now the same as the US for some.

Vote Tory if you love Britain vote Labour if you hate Britain. The post above is exactly this crap

breezy1985 wrote: »
    As I said this morning English politics is now the same as the US for some.

Vote Tory if you love Britain vote Labour if you hate Britain. The post above is exactly this crap

Agreed. Why has this happened?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Please read the charter.Posts that consist solely or mostly of gifs, memes, tweets, videos etc are not what this forum is for. You have to make a your own contribution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Did you actually read my post?
    As I said, you rarely see the flags in England, they will come out on special occasions though.

Did you actually read my post. You see them all the time the length and breadth of the place. Not reserved for special occasions.

I'm not sure of the point your making. I'm just telling you they are not rare like your making out nor 'special occasiony' either

• Registered Users Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

That is the count finished for today in Scotland with 48 of the 73 FPTP seats confirmed, the remaining 25 seats and all 56 regional seats will be counted tomorrow

SNP 39
    Lib Dems 4
    Tory 3
    Labour 2

My constituency result was announced earlier
    Capture.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Judging by the narrative in the media, if the SNP are a bit short of the 65 number, it looks like the unionists will use this as justification for refusing a referendum. That would be fair enough if they were the only party wanting one, but they're not. It should depend on whether a majority of pro-independence representatives are elected, not just the SNP.

I'd assume because the Tories are flooding the field with lies continually each day new lie each week more non issues. Just keep it going its infects people.

And labour absolutely don't have the leader to combat that. Zero charisma and really missing people on the ground connecting with individual voters.

Consistent media attacks on the likes of Corbyn with silly stories about him being some Soviet spy ready to open the Gulags or a secret member of the IRA

Also some seem to think that young people who dont like Britains colonial past means they dont like or care about the current country. Criticism isnt hate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Judging by the narrative in the media, if the SNP are a bit short of the 65 number, it looks like the unionists will use this as justification for refusing a referendum. That would be fair enough if they were the only party wanting one, but they're not. It should depend on whether a majority of pro-independence representatives are elected, not just the SNP.

The media narrative exclusively unionist

The facts should be pointed out to them on the equivalent basis with Westminster ie FPTP results. The Tories obtained a mandate for the Brexit referendum by winning the 2015 general election. The Tories got 37% of the vote which gave them an overall majority

The post mortem begins on all the UK channels this evening.
    The elephant in the room has not been mentioned once yet tonight. Immigration.
    Burying their head in the sand on immigration will eventually kill Labour off.
    For better or worse, it's what the people want addressed in places like Hartlepool.

Interesting can you elaborate on that bit I mean like considering the stats of circa 94,000 or so

98.6% of people living in Hartlepool speak English. The other top languages spoken are 0.3% Polish, 0.1% Bengali, 0.1% All other Chinese, 0.1% Urdu, 0.1% Tagalog/Filipino, 0.1% Panjabi.

This whole immigration thing in Hartlepool must be off the chain it seems ... Such a real life day to day concern.

May I also note the population growth of pretty stagnant over the last decade there too.

Consistent media attacks on the likes of Corbyn with silly stories about him being some Soviet spy ready to open the Gulags or a secret member of the IRA

Also some seem to think that young people who dont like Britains colonial past means they dont like or care about the current country. Criticism isnt hate

Ah yes, the media. MSM is it?

Disliking their colonial past is a pointless exercise, no amount of self flagellation for the actions of their long dead fore fathers will win an election.

Ah yes, the media. MSM is it?

Disliking their colonial past is a pointless exercise, no amount of self flagellation for the actions of their long dead fore fathers will win an election.

Interesting was this a campaign piece of labours? Hadn't see that. Have you any details.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Two votes, one in a FPTP constituency and another for regional lists where the constituencies are grouped together
    It's handier to think of the grouped ones as a consolation prize after the FPTP round has completed.

There's eight additional member regions, formed from multiple FPTP constituencies, each has 7 seats. And you get penalised heavily for winning FPTP seats.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19209143.everything-wanted-know-dhondt-voting-system-holyrood-election/
    the formula for deciding the quota needed to elect a list MSP is still D’Hondt’s V/(S+1), but the actual V and S here are a bit different. For Holyrood elections, the V is the vote cast for a particular party on the regional list. The S is the number of seats already won by each party via the FPTP constituency process – so the S differs with each political party.
    So for example if the SNP win all seven seats via FPTP then their quota to get elected is eight times as much as that of the Greens who didn't win a seat earlier.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well done lads - you made sure you undermined Corbyn and your actual core supporters for...this.

Yeah he was just about to renationalise everything.

The entire Labour Party is a joke at this stage. Half a dozen people saw no problem with this being made public: https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1388521276256497674
    It's like they don't want to win.

listermint wrote: »
    Interesting was this a campaign piece of labours? Hadn't see that. Have you any details.

What did Labour do wrong to precipitate this melt down? Or is purely sisnister outside forces?

What did Labour do wrong to precipitate this melt down? Or is purely sisnister outside forces?

Mix of multiple factors are you really thinking it's just one thing ? Really ??

Mix of multiple factors are you really thinking it's just one thing ? Really ??

No of course not but a party collapsing at this rate requires introspection and reform maybe an ould purge

Some "SJW woke BLM progressive" said it on twitter probably so now its put up as labour policy

It was of course David Cameron who apologised for Bloody Sunday so he must hate Britain too or love the IRA like Corbyn does

• Advertisement

Yeah he was just about to renationalise everything.

The entire Labour Party is a joke at this stage. Half a dozen people saw no problem with this being made public: https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1388521276256497674
    It's like they don't want to win.

Dont vote Labour cause one guy cant box and another cant eat a bacon sandwich properly. What an educated electorate

Some "SJW woke BLM progressive" said it on twitter probably so now its put up as labour policy

It was of course David Cameron who apologised for Bloody Sunday so he must hate Britain too or love the IRA like Corbyn does

See, you can identify the perception problem. Maybe telling Owen Jones and Ash Sarkar to do one would help the party get back to it's roots.

See, you can identify the perception problem. Maybe telling Owen Jones and Ash Sarkar to do one would help the party get back to it's roots.

What are its roots ?

If you mean win back the red wall by copying Tory policy then no I dont want it to go back to its roots. I dont know Sarkar but if you have actually listened to Jones and can get over the fact that he is a gay Guardian journalist you would see he cares deeply about Britain and the poorer in the country. He cares a lot more and has much greater connection to the working class than Johnson does

It's Twitter.

I think you might find doing actually grass roots work and getting of the Twitter is where progress is made. Look at Georgia.

But you seem to think all these folks in Hartlepool are watching Owen Jones on Twitter..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

News coming in from London that Shaun Bailey has took a surprising early lead in the London Mayor contest.

Still a long way to go and more favorable counts for Labour to come but this was supposed to be a slam dunk for Sadiq Khan based on recent polling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Please post in a serious and constructive manner instead of lazy generalizations and one-liners. A post has been removed.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

devnull wrote: »
    News coming in from London that Shaun Bailey has took a surprising early lead in the London Mayor contest.

Still a long way to go and more favorable counts for Labour to come but this was supposed to be a slam dunk for Sadiq Khan based on recent polling.

Saw it posted on social media earlier today that baileys people were suggesting they were going to win it. Some body blow if that proves true.

devnull wrote: »

He has turned 2 districts in the suburbs and it looks like a situation similar to the national votes where Labour will gain and smash the areas it wins but lose some constituencies. The Greens are gaining and it seems to be hurting Labour a little too

Khan should still win the run off but I think this could be worse for Starmer than the North because it shows his policy is not gaining the brexiters but also losing voters to socially liberal parties

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a few Green seats. They want out too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Khan should still win the run off but I think this could be worse for Starmer than the North because it shows his policy is not gaining the brexiters but also losing voters to socially liberal parties

His policy of not having any policies?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Advertisement