Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭PommieBast

@Igotadose

Oh, the Home Office passport system and passport delivery system (a private contractor because outsourcing) is a catastrophe for people renewing. Now they say wait 12 weeks, whether you apply for express service or not: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/apr/09/meltdown-at-uk-passport-renewals-forces-travellers-to-cancel-easter-breaks

Very different from my experience. When I renewed I got my new one within a few days. Then again this was in Jan 2021 right at the peak of the Alpha wave...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,100 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

That was then. Now there's a nationality bill, and several years of Patel in charge. Hostility via gutting the home office, no doubt promoting the ineffective too. The message is, why travel? And, don't think of immigrating we don't want you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,914 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Maybe it's a problem with getting the passports over from the EU where that are made.

It's a busy travel season. The UK knows what capacity it needs to handle passports per week, let's say. So, you project the # of passports, maybe add in some percentage because you expect more people due to easing restrictions, and you staff up for that. Also, suddenly you've got strain on the system due to Ukraine visa requests.

Do you think they staffed up? Deployed additional back-end servers to handle the load? Would that have been supported by an anti-immigration Home Office in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,201 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

UK Visas and Immigration, which deals with non-UK citizens wishing to come to the UK, is a separate agency from HM Passport Office, which issues passports to UK citizens. A spike in demand for visas attributable to the war in Ukraine (or any other cause) would not affect the work of HM Passport Office. And, while it's undoubtedly true that the Home Office is anti-immigration to a toxic degree, that would not be a reason for them to starve HM Passport Office of resources. HM Passport Office doesn't provide any services to immigrants to the UK; only to British Citizens.

• Advertisement

As I chronicled earlier, my friend (living in Ireland, UK citizen) sent his passport in, tracked it to the delivery point, and it's not shown in the passport service office system yet (about a week-10 days now). When he called and was eventually able to get through, he was told they couldn't start tracing because he was calling from an Irish phone number and could he have someone in the UK start the process for him.

Remind me, who would set the rule for the passport service that says "don't start lost passport searches if they're calling from outside the UK." And why does it matter as he's a UK citizen? The attitude flows from the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,201 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Passport, for obvious reasons, used to be handled by the Foreign Office. A good few years back responsibility got transferred to the Home Office. Although HM Passport Office is a self-contained agency, it does form part of the Home Office.

The Home Office loathes foreigners and immigrants and is determined to make their lives miserable at every turn. However running a second-rate passport service does nothing to advance this goal, since those availing of British Passports are neither foreigners nor immigrants. So on this occasion I think we must account for the problem by pointing to general incompetence and stupidity, rather than malice. While the Home Office is pretty malicious, the logical link between their malice and this particular failing is missing.

It is possible to be both malicious and stupid.

Fair enough; just another failing of HMG in a litany. It is amazing what the British electorate will put up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fasano

I renewed mine in November and it took about two weeks.

personally I’d ignore what this poster claims, a quick glance at their history shows their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The whole Sunak affair is pretty fascinating. I thought Boris Johnson would be the richest person in government would he is worth a pittance compared to Sunak. I thinnk its a huge conflict of interest if a huge part of a ministers wealth is linked to a company in a foreign country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fasano

that does concern me as well. Especially when the UK is currently in the midst of negotiating a Free Trade Agreement with that country.

Sunak does strike me as being completely above board though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Sure Sunak has so much money, he gave 100 grand of it to his old private school last week.

Meanwhile, Boris Johnson has often complained that the Prime Minister's job doesn't pay him nearly enough - and with all the children he has, his maintenance payments must be massive.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I thought Boris Johnson would be the richest person in government

With having to provide for ex-wives and several children that he admits to, Johnson (allegedly) is broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Remember something about him doing a rush job on his book The Churchill Factor because he needed to get the advance on it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I recall that but bear in mind that everything he does is rushed as he puts the minimum amount of effort into almost everything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I have just found this thread so apologies if what I say has been said already:

I find it insane that Sunak seems more concerned about who leaked the fact he ( & his Mrs ) have green cards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The Metropolitan Police is set to fine Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak for breaching lockdown rules.

The fixed penalty notice sent to the prime minister and Mr Sunak is part of fines sent to government staff who attended parties in Whitehall when COVID restrictions were in place during 2020 and 2021.

Taken from Sky News.

Sigh. No criminal convictions, though that wasn't a surprise. Just another day in the mayhem that is HMG under BoJo. Maybe they'll send more aid to Ukraine to distract again, or visit Kiev or something something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

It was a good tactic to wait until the investigation happened. A few low level resignations and the issue has blown over, and politicians wonder why the public have such a poor view of their profession

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭Patser

I don't know. Ukraine has been going a month now, and is in a bit of a lull. Headline writers could be looking for the next big thing, and this is fair old slam dunk territory. Last weekend they were more than happy to go hard on Sunak, despite Ukriane War - those attacks almost certainly orchestrated by Johnson, possibly anticipating this was on the way.

Conservatives now in a bind. Their Leader and PM completely tied up in knots linguastically and legally. Meanwhile their lovely shiny replacement Sunak is now shredded (and implicated in this too). Leaving only Truss??? Horrible choices for them, although with years til an election, they could change now and rebuild

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭Patser

Also to add, if the Met office are finishing off their investigations, this will also clear the way for Sue Gray to release her un-redacted report, and opens the possibility of photos of the parties to be released.

Nothing like a good photo headline to get blood boiling

They don't really have years though. 4 weeks to the next locals and many will be starting to sweat and want immediate action.

With friends like Michael Fabricant....

Having said that, I don’t think that at any time [Johnson] thought that he was breaking the law. I think that at the time he thought, just like many teachers and nurses who after a very, very long shift would tend to go back to the staff room and have a quiet drink - which is more or less what he has done - but I don’t think he thought he was breaking the law. But of course that doesn’t make any sort of excuse.

Is he seriously playing whataboutery with nurses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

It were the teacher's fault, with all their drinking in staff rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 32,284 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The Tories really are a total clown car how can anyone vote for them.

Now many scandals is that in the last week?

The fact that one of their MPs was convicted of sexually assaulting a 15 year old boy hasn't got more headlines is bizarre.

Yet some of his colleagues still defended him...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Good Daily Mail front page tomorrow morning

Interesting that whilst in Wednesday's Daily Mail, they're saying that essentially there is a war going on so nothing else matters, the very same newspaper decided to not even mention the war on Tuesday and instead was more interested in talking about Meghan Markle, Holidays and a number of health stories.

The Daily Mail really does have some nerve. No doubt most of this is Dacre's doing. Not only do they continually stir up hatred in the UK, they also are a bunch of hypocrites that along with the Express, are nothing but Tory mouthpieces. They are morally bankrupt.

Were not 24hrs in and this "war PM" party line is really getting tedious already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a thread in itself, and I know risks careening this conversation away from generalised UK political chit-chat, but it always astonishes me the sheer hatred the right-of-centre media has for Megan Markle. At least Piers Morgan has some excuse - however petty and childish it is to be angry Markle rejected his advances - but what excuse do the rest of those most adjacent to GB News?

Even within that first tweet, the Mail reveals their hypocrisy, given the item ABOVE that big, swaggering pontificating attack on "the Left" is the celebrity scandal between Johnny Depp & Amber Heard. Their sanctimony couldn't even last one page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,102 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Re: Markle, isn't it obvious? Foreign woman coming over here, taking our royals, insinuating racism from/insulting the monarchy & queen (or that's the narrative), etc.

And she's also black/a woman of colour, so the DM and the like have been frothing at the mouth for years.

Post edited by retalivity on

Advertisement