Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭PommieBast

In the past @Beasty was the main man when it came to policing the political forums. Not seen him much recently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Thanks but the poster deleted their comment. I'm certainly not who they say I was hence my concern in trying to get some redress.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

An apology would have been nice but I guess that was too much to ask for.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: if you wish to report a post, then there is an option to do so. If anyone is unfamiliar with how to do this then click the Flag option.

Back on topic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They don't, until they do. And even ignoring demographic, immigration still doesn't rank as the top issue of concern - and like I said the survey doesn't / can't say what it even is that those polled think; whether their concern is that it's too lax, too draconian, etc.

But to hear some, it's THE pressing issue, the "breaking point" if you will, that's disintegrating the country with each immigrant indulged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

True but this isn't the point. The point is to appeal to the base with cruelty and racism.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’m not sure how much weight it has in 2022, but the Archbishop of Canterbury has used Easter Sunday to criticise the UK governments plan to send migrants to Rwanda.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Somewhat interesting Andrew Bridgen story in The Times. He always came across as a 'bad un', but it's nice to get some background details.

Looks like there's a big legal bill on the way, and possible parliamentary watchdog investigation (though the latter is a slow process)

‘Dishonest’ MP Bridgen ‘lied’ about conduct in family dispute | News | The Sunday Times (archive.ph)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,913 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Do any of us expect much from the man who honestly thought all English people were entitled to an Irish passport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,392 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The bizarre thing is that refugees and asylum seekers are not usually regarded as "immigrants" or as a part of "immigration" to a country and are not recorded in the official immigration figures (immigrants being people who voluntarily move from one country to another to live, work or study and who have no intention of applying for asylum or refugee status).

The whole debate in the UK among the government and the media is utterly toxic though and they quite deliberately conflate the two, with their inference that many / most refugees are just chancers and opportunistic economic migrants.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

'The whole debate in the UK among the government and the media is utterly toxic though and they quite deliberately conflate the two, with their inference that many / most refugees are just chancers and opportunistic economic migrants.'

All immigrants, as those who voluntarily move to live in another country, are generally moving to improve their lives - usually economically driven. They obviously do it because they can - and will be welcomed in the country they move to as they may have much to offer.

Those that wish to, but cannot, because there are significant barriers put in place to stop them, will either not try, or will go for the illegal route. Now these are separate from those driven by war and persecution - those are entitled to refugee status, but are often excluded from attaining that status for political reasons (or racial, religious or other prejudices).

How to distinguish between the 'economic' and those 'fleeing' is hard because there is no accepted way of telling the difference. It is made harder by the intense scrutiny in some countries to exclude all refugees, so those seeking refuge will play the game of increasing their chances, or by disappearing into the background of illegal immigrant community.

The UK Home Office have created a hostile environment to make life as close to impossible as possible for not only the illegal community, but for those the might be illegal, and even those that belong to the ethnic community* that many of the illegals belong to - like the Windrush generation.

*I think you may take that as racial profiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,392 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think it's extremely unhelpful though for the UK govt and English media to keep bringing up "economic migrants" and "illegal immigration" when discussing refugees and asylum seekers. The inference that eventually gets drawn is that nearly everyone trying to cross the Channel in a dinghy is a chancer or an opportunist with very few actual refugees among them.

This seems to be permeating everywhere. Some people at the weekend picked up on the BBC referring to "illegal asylum seekers" a couple of times - a total contradiction in terms. I do find this whole Rwanda episode probably the nadir of the Tories being in power for the last 12 years. It's cynical and meant to divide.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

'I do find this whole Rwanda episode probably the nadir of the Tories being in power for the last 12 years. It's cynical and meant to divide.'

I think when you think the Tories have reached the nadir, they will surprise you by finding a yet lower place to set as their next nadir. They appear to be so corrupt in almost all matters of politics, morality, keeping expected norms such as the Ministerial Code, etc. that they will continue to refuse to resign even when they are caught rotten. They will deny, try to cover-up and then retrospectively change the rules.

I cannot find any case in living memory of a UK political party exhibiting such disdain for 'doing the right thing' which used to be the hallmark of political and social behaviour over there.

Just remember King Edward VIII was forced to abdicate because he wanted to marry a divorced American. Could not happen now! [Sit down Harry!].

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Britain First are now to come for anyone who harasses right wing politicians.

Just a reminder that one of their activists, was the person who killed Jo Cox.

More and more sinister in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Should be arrested for threatening behavior or conspiracy to commit a crime or something just off the back of that video.

That seems like very clear cut intimidation and threats. If that's not illegal, it should be.

Being illegal is no protection these days. Even the PM commits illegal acts with impunity - well puny fines and no further action.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

More to the point, after Jo Cox how are Britain First still even allowed to operate as an entity? If that was the provisional or splinter IRA, a Muslim protest group or so on it'd have surely been nuked with prejudice by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fasano

Posts a four year old video and uses a caption stating that Johnson is a **** and Tories are psychopaths.

but that’s ok, because you agree with the sentiment.

the far left are no better than the far right to be honest.

• Advertisement

Which MPs have the far left shot and killed recently ?

Also I don't see anything about Johnson or Tory psychopaths in the post.

Has that cast iron evidence behind the allegations made about the DHSC inventing NHS_Susan to spread false information ever been published?

So you see nothing wrong with spreading hatred about politicians?

if you read the profile of the slimebag who tweeted something four years old, you’ll see what I’m referring to.

Your just trying to create rabbit holes using whataboutery.

What that guy said was disgusting and how old it is or who the twitter person is doesn't change the fact that this guy is a dangerous individual.

No amount of "but but the left" changes the fact he is a danger.

So now a week since the Daily Mail ran their front page accusing people of focusing too much on what they deemed trivial issues rather than the war in the Ukraine.

Laughably, the Daily Mail, having preached to everyone about how important the war is, has not mentioned the war on the front page once in the last week. As well as the story about fish on the first date, they've ran with another great important story on tomorrow's paper, about whether you should wear shoes inside the house.

Not to be outdone, the Daily Express has also gone for a similar front page tomorrow, again accusing people of focusing on trivial things when they should be talking about the war.

I hope the Government are rewarding them well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A seven minute tirade! How dare he!!!

Uk press is a joke

It isn’t a rabbit hole, it is blatant fabrication and scare mongering.

It is a deliberate attempt to create the false impression that Britain First are making renewed threats and are going after left wing politicians

that clip is four years old and yes, Paul Golding has been arrested several times since then

Are you referring to a discussion that you and me had previously?

I can't quite remember having one about anything NHS related since you registered in January, so you will have to point out the posts where this discussion took place since, perhaps then we can discuss it? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement