Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Except they could come here and then cross over to the UK.

More joined up thinking from the UK.

True they could right now but tbh I'd expect our own authorities to possibly impliment a similar 14 day restriction in the short term once things begin reopening.

I'm not expecting a return to buisness as usual in terms of flying, if anything the only ones I expect to be flying anywhere in the next few months are those on buisness or travelling to see relatives in other countries, not commercial tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It seems even LauraK us turning on Boris:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1260528529571303425

Though she seems to be just going with the blowing winds. Will be interesting to see if this becomes a pile on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Johnson now admits there will be checks on GB goods at Warrenpoint, Belfast and Larne:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/13/brexit-will-mean-checks-on-goods-crossing-irish-sea-government-admits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Keir Starmer being traduced in a doctored video doing the rounds and shared by three Tory MPs.

They are running scared of him!

https://twitter.com/DylanBrownie1/status/1260873251003211776

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Keir Starmer being traduced in a doctored video doing the rounds and shared by three Tory MPs.

They are running scared of him!

https://twitter.com/DylanBrownie1/status/1260873251003211776

Just reading about that, what a disgrace. Seems to be if you throw enough mud it will stick except this time it has blown back in their face.

Dorries should resign but as somebody said, if your boss is a liar, and the Home Sec. is a liar what are you going to do only lie.

• Advertisement

Edit: Just see Joe post the same thing above.

They really are getting worried by Starmer now
    https://twitter.com/Joanna__Hardy/status/1261924031097458689

Gist of the story, they’re saying he pretends to be a man of the people but owns land worth £10m.
    Dig a bit deeper, he bought the land in 1996 when he was a “human rights” lawyer (inverted commas are mine), we all know how much the Mail love human rights.
    He bought it for his mother so she could keep Rescue donkeys on it.
    Where does the valuation come from, the land could be used to build 70 houses.
    There is no planning for any housing and he is not selling the land.

This is the 3rd story in just over a week trying to smear him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Roanmore wrote: »
    Edit: Just see Joe post the same thing above.

They really are getting worried by Starmer now
    https://twitter.com/Joanna__Hardy/status/1261924031097458689

Gist of the story, they’re saying he pretends to be a man of the people but owns land worth £10m.
    Dig a bit deeper, he bought the land in 1996 when he was a “human rights” lawyer (inverted commas are mine), we all know how much the Mail love human rights.
    He bought it for his mother so she could keep Rescue donkeys on it.
    Where does the valuation come from, the land could be used to build 70 houses.
    There is no planning for any housing and he is not selling the land.

This is the 3rd story in just over a week trying to smear him.

No worries. It just shows you how desperate they are. Everybody has baggage but if this is any sign, i think they are going to struggle to land a glove on Starmer.

"Up to £10m" is my favourite bit of that story. Fifty quid is "up to" £10m.

The thing about it is that Starmer comes out of it looking great.
    Same with the grooming gangs story.

Starmer is doing well, approval rating going up. Helps him that Johnson doesnt have his braying monkeys around him in the commons to cheer and lap up his stupid jokes. But the labour leader comes across as exactly the type of guy you want around you in a crisis, precise and serious. People say he's dour but that contrast might play well long term with the clown in charge.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Starmer is doing well, approval rating going up. Helps him that Johnson doesnt have his braying monkeys around him in the commons to cheer and lap up his stupid jokes. But the labour leader comes across as exactly the type of guy you want around you in a crisis, precise and serious. People say he's dour but that contrast might play well long term with the clown in charge.

So one has braying donkeys in his mother's field and the other has braying monkeys at his back.

Good contrast.

• Advertisement

The reluctant fightback against China starts -

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/may/22/boris-johnson-forced-to-reduce-huaweis-role-in-uks-5g-networks
    Boris Johnson has been forced to cave into to Conservative backbench rebels opposed to the presence of Huawei in 5G networks and has drawn up plans to reduce the Chinese company’s involvement to zero by 2023.

The prime minister’s retreat is designed to stave off what could have been an embarrassing defeat when his existing proposal to reduce Huawei to a 35% market share was to be voted on in the Commons.

Although Johnson boasts an 80 strong majority, the number of Conservative MPs willing to rebel on the issue is now estimated to be 50 – enough in theory to defeat the government – as anti-Chinese sentiment hardens in the light of the coronavirus crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The reluctant fightback against China starts -
    because the Chinese will completely forget about this when they are desperate to do a trade deal with Global Britian :rolleyes:

This is going to become a feature of the next few years globally, a reappraisal of relations with China.

This is going to become a feature of the next few years globally, a reappraisal of relations with China.
    True, as governments are now waking up to the fact that global interdependency is not the right direction for international trading relations to be heading.

The trading aspirations of a few wealthy merchants for their own benefit has now proven to be dangerous in respect to it making many countries vulnerable to the actions of countries like China.

Remember this is what made the British Empire so powerful in the 18th & 19th centuries, absolute control of much of the global trade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

True, as governments are now waking up to the fact that global interdependency is not the right direction for international trading relations to be heading.

The trading aspirations of a few wealthy merchants for their own benefit has now proven to be dangerous in respect to it making many countries vulnerable to the actions of countries like China.
    And when things go more local, cost more, with less features and reliability and people end up with less money in the wallet I'm sure they will all get a warm fuzzy feeling at least they bought "insert national producer" products instead. After all consumers have shown to be very conscious of their buying choices and the impact their choices have and are willing to consistently as a whole spend more money to buy local over a cheaper imported alternative while supporting the smaller independent shops, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,916 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hopefully this is the end of Cummings

Nasty piece of work and have to laugh at him asking media to follow the 2meter rule outside his home where as It's fine for Cummings to travel 260 miles

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Headshot wrote: »
    Hopefully this is the end of Cummings

Nasty piece of work and have to laugh at him asking media to follow the 2meter rule outside his home where as It's fine for Cummings to travel 260 miles

... and be infected with the virus - knowingly because that is why he was travelling.

Absolute hypocrite - so surprising that someone so close to the centre of power should consider themselves above the rules that they say others should follow.

Shocking.

Watching the Covid press conference and just shaking my head in disbelief that Grant Shapps defending Cummings.

The Tories are really nasty pieces of work and one rule for them and one for others.

What a horrible party tbh, right up there with the Republicans

snip. No more lol comments please.

Watching the Covid press conference and just shaking my head in disbelief that Grant Shapps defending Cummings.

The Tories are really nasty pieces of work and one rule for them and one for others.

T. May described them as 'the Nasty Party' at one time - I think she was Foreign Secretary at the time and had introduce the 'hostile environment' for immigrants - and oversaw the 'Windrush Generation' scandal. (She clearly did not get irony).

Then became PM and increased the justification for that name.

Nasty indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭O'Neill

The Tories were always a horrible party but I think there’s something much more sinister about this current bunch.

T. May described them as 'the Nasty Party' at one time - I think she was Foreign Secretary at the time and had introduce the 'hostile environment' for immigrants - and oversaw the 'Windrush Generation' scandal. (She clearly did not get irony).

Then became PM and increased the justification for that name.

Nasty indeed.

Believe it or not that May "nasty party" speech was from around 20 years ago in which she also famously blasted her party peers for "demonising minorities." Amazing how many of your principles you can jettison to climb the tory greasy pole - or maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Believe it or not that May "nasty party" speech was from around 20 years ago in which she also famously blasted her party peers for "demonising minorities."
    I thought it was Edwina Currie rather than May who first used the term..

PommieBast wrote: »
    I thought it was Edwina Currie rather than May who first used the term..

You could well be right on that, May said that was what people were beginning to call them so the phrase didnt originate with her. If i recall it right, currie was one of those she had a go at and I'm fairly certain the old battleaxe returned it with interest in that infamous book of hers a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I would be presently surprised to see Cummings gone. He strikes me as the type that will ride this out. I don't think he's particularly bothered about what people think of him.

There'd need to be some massive upheaval among the Tories for Johnson to force Cummings out.

In two minds really. The guy is clearly toxic and would be for the betterment of Britain to see the back of him. But i also think he's a liability for the tories and will do damage the longer he remains, so from that pov it's not terrible. Johnson should have jettisoned him as soon as brexit got over the line imo, but he's clearly beholden to him so can see it all ending, in the classical political sense, in tears and failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

He probably has some amount of dirt on them and would be quick to use it if he felt he wasn't getting what he wanted or he was being pushed aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

He probably has some amount of dirt on them and would be quick to use it if he felt he wasn't getting what he wanted or he was being pushed aside.
    If he stays, it will be a Trump/impeachment or Sandy Hook/gun control issue (when following Sandy Hook America collectively decided that the murder of that many schoolchildren was a price worth paying for gun freedom, the case to ban guns was lost" - or words to that rough effect - the rule of law in the UK will have fully broken down and Johnson can literally kill someone in the street and it will be ok

More dirt coming out including a second trip north post recovery. He'll still brazen it out but Johnson will be under some pressure not to sack him.

• Advertisement

The tabloids are reporting tonight that this is not the first time Cummings travelled some distances during the epidemic. Supposedly he's traveled to Durham a town 30 miles away

I feel it's a win win situation at this point, if he goes brilliant but if he remains and Tories keep defending him it will do alot of damage to them

Advertisement