Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,871 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This description he giving has been the story of a million British family for 10 weeks, most of whom never thought to drive 400 km as part of a solution.

The bringing of Covid into No.10 in the first place is now also a focus, what with Boris's own cavalier attitude to handshakes and physical distancing in the early stages even though he was warned and warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So that was Dominic Cummings then ? I'd never heard him speak and from that statement he comes across as thoroughly unimpressive. It's heard to believe that's the brexit mastermind.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So that was Dominic Cummings then ? I'd never heard him speak and from that statement he comes across as thoroughly unimpressive. It's heard to believe that's the brexit mastermind.

You don't turn up at the Punch and Judy to hear the puppeteer speak.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Itssoeasy wrote: »

This is him on his best behaviour being recorded live. I wouldn't say that this gives a true impression of him.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This is him on his best behaviour being recorded live. I wouldn't say that this gives a true impression of him.

Fair enough. That recounting of the events may not help him. They don't dispel the fact that he didn't stick to the rules as laid out.

• Advertisement

I didn't know his Mrs is a sub editor at the Spectator. So he hates the media, but not the Spectator or presumably the Telegraph, Express, Mail, Sun etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I didn't know his Mrs is a sub editor at the Spectator. So he hates the media, but not the Spectator or presumably the Telegraph, Express, Mail, Sun etc

A friend of mine is a nanny. Given that we're talking about one of the most powerful people in the country, there's no way he doesn't have a nanny if his OH is an editor at the world's oldest magazine.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

A friend of mine is a nanny. Given that we're talking about one of the most powerful people in the country, there's no way he doesn't have a nanny if his OH is an editor at the world's oldest magazine.

I'm not defending him, but would she stick around a family clearly ailing with this disease when she would probably be required to isolate herself somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

He had a gimme and a lay up from Beth Rigby:

Do you think that you should have talked to the prime minister on the Friday?

Should have said: Probably, yes.

Dom says: * indefensible gibberish *

Daily Mail putting the boot in is quite amusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,966 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anyone see the press conference.

I've seen some quotes and flabbergasted by the eye sight excuse

elitism at it's best.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Headshot wrote: »

Most commentary of it is over on the UK Covid page.

It was a car crash.

He seems to think that because he says that he technically did not break any rules (which it seems that he did) then there's no problem. He does seem to get that he's trashed the spirit of this law and because the prime minister has outsourced himself to this man he will not be held accountable.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 53,966 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

BJ is very lucky Parliament isnt back yet as Starmer would destroy BJ

I'm listening to BJ news conference at the moment and mind boggling how this guy is the UK Prime Minister. He constantly talks so much crap and lies so much that it's like second nature.

I like the way BJ isnt let the journalist have a follow up to their questions...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭golfball37

Some witch hunt. All because the great and good hate him for his work on the referendum. No other country would a civil servant be hounded to this extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

golfball37 wrote: »
    Some witch hunt. All because the great and good hate him for his work on the referendum. No other country would a civil servant be hounded to this extent.
    He's not a civil servant- he's an unelected bureaucrat with almost absolute power and to whom the laws don't apply when he says so. No other country would allow such brazen illegal actions go unpunished. The turkeys really voted for Christmas when they gave control over to this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

fash wrote: »
    He's not a civil servant- he's an unelected bureaucrat with almost absolute power and to whom the laws don't apply when he says so. No other country would allow such brazen illegal actions go unpunished. The turkeys really voted for Christmas when they gave control over to this guy.

The above unintentionally gives the whole game away. Un-elected government adviser, remember all those un-elected bureaucrats in Brussels who made British people's lives unbearable, they now have the Prime Minister spending his full time defending the indefensible actions of his advisor.

This is a really really bad day for British democracy. Defending Cummings is going to push the agenda into an even bigger political split. It's really going down the Donald Trump route for the Tories, support the indefensible or be booted from your own party. The ramifications from this will be felt for a very long time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

farmerval wrote: »
    This is a really really bad day for British democracy.

Is there a chance that this could be a good day for British democracy?

After the mishandling of such a sensitive issue will the public finally see through the lies and the bullsh!t and recognise that this unelected representative has been stringing them all along for years?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Really shameful from the Cabinet. All tweeting the same just changed slightly as if to gibe the impression they came up with it themselves when obviously they were fed the line.

Gove said he addressed the untruths which were put out yesterday, any idea what they were because the story about Barnard Castle is true?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

BJ is very lucky Parliament isnt back yet as Starmer would destroy BJ

I'm listening to BJ news conference at the moment and mind boggling how this guy is the UK Prime Minister. He constantly talks so much crap and lies so much that it's like second nature.

I like the way BJ isnt let the journalist have a follow up to their questions...
    The Tories have basically been operating unchecked since Corbyn and McDonnell moved in across the way from the PM in the House of Commons.

Starmer has made an excellent start of restoring the credibility of the Labour Party and it's politically useful that Starmer was elected leader during a massive crisis for the Tory leadership.

Johnson, Raab, Hancock, Patel etc. might not be so popular when someone calls out their calamitous behaviour.

• Advertisement

Hermy wrote: »
    Is there a chance that this could be a good day for British democracy?

After the mishandling of such a sensitive issue will the public finally see through the lies and the bullsh!t and recognise that this unelected representative has been stringing them all along for years?

If the person/people responsible for this disaster cannot be held to account over this, what can they be held to account for, it really drives a bigger wedge into the with us or against us form of politics. This will really drive the Tories into the Republican mode in the states, whatever we are doing doesn't matter once we are benefiting from it.
    If Johnson and Cummings survive this, how can anyone in the Tories challenge them in the future. This is so brazen, Vladimir Putin would be proud of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If the person/people responsible for this disaster cannot be held to account over this, what can they be held to account for, it really drives a bigger wedge into the with us or against us form of politics. This will really drive the Tories into the Republican mode in the states, whatever we are doing doesn't matter once we are benefiting from it.
    If Johnson and Cummings survive this, how can anyone in the Tories challenge them in the future. This is so brazen, Vladimir Putin would be proud of it.

He probably is.

Does he need to be held to account when the electorate still support what the Tories are doing?

I'm just musing as to whether this is a bridge too far and the electorate make an about turn but maybe it's too late for that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Does he need to be held to account when the electorate still support what the Tories are doing?

I'm just musing as to whether this is a bridge too far and the electorate make an about turn but maybe it's too late for that.

Traditionally, the press held the government to account somewhat on the public's behalf. It's very hard to imagine that right now that the electorate would support keeping Cummings as a Government advisor.
    If Boris Johnson can brazen this out, then what policy would he need to advance that he could be made do a U turn on. The Visa cost for NHS staff was one, but again that was so crass a move, especially when it was announced as to be unbelievable. Just after Boris was blustering on about the foreign nurses that had looked after him.
    The fact that the cabinet all support everything they are told to like nodding donkeys tells us all we need to know. Presumably Cummings told them what to tweet this evening supporting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭golfball37

The reaction to this is quite fascinating. A guy breaks a soft law akin to running a red light at 4am with nobody on the road, all to visit elderly parents and the world wants his head.
    I wish we were as good at demanding accountability from our own unelected civil servants but won’t hold my breath

The reaction to this is quite fascinating. A guy breaks a soft law akin to running a red light at 4am with nobody on the road, all to visit elderly parents and the world wants his head.
    I wish we were as good at demanding accountability from our own unelected civil servants but won’t hold my breath

He wasn't visiting his elderly parents.

There's also the small matter of a pandemic.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He's not a civil servant as has been pointed out to you.
    Try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Unless there's a new twist, I think they've already survived. The Tories will come up with some look-over-there rubbish and the Tory press will fall back into line as they're being paid to do.

That is an inadvertently great analogy as a disproportionate amount of road deaths happen at night.
    Nobody is on the roads but about half of all road deaths happen between midnight and 8 am.

https://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Road-Safety/RSA-Statistics/Deaths-injuries-on-Irish-roads/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How many civil servants have been hounded on his account ?

Advertisement