Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Citroen Ami

Comments

unkel wrote: »
    Nope. Twizy is in the same class and has about twice the power and a top speed of about 80km/h

In France (and some other countries) you have two versions of the Twizy though, only the one with the top speed of about 45km/h, like the Ami, can be driven by 14 year olds / people without a driving license

My guess is the Ami is squarely marketed towards this group. Pity really, I would have been interested in one with more power / higher top speed

Not a Citroen but perhaps this electric car will interest you although I doubt the solar panels will work optimally here in Ireland, they claim 1 kilowatt will be enough to cover 10 miles or 16 km with a max range of 1000 miles 1609 km. Certainly the design is unique anyway but I guess this is what a car designed for maximum efficiency looks like

https://www.businessinsider.com/aptera-opens-orders-no-charge-solar-powered-electric-vehicle-2020-12?r=US&IR=T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes I know about it. Cd is impressive but that yoke is ridiculously expensive for what it is.

26 cent to carshare per minute/12 euro per hour with Free2Move in Paris.
    For those who are used to renting citybikes and scooters the learning curve for adoption won't be steep.

In France, Germany and Italy these quadricycles are treated kindly with regard to regulations for motor taxation and driving licences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Couple of UK reviews out today. The FullyCharged one is pretty crap. Not linking to that. Here's the one from Jonny Smith though. Decent as usual, includes tech specs and the price

About the same price as a electric cargo bike

https://www.greenaer.ie/product-category/electric-bikes/kids-cargo-bikes/

Yeah I always thought the prices of those cargo bikes were insane. The electrics in them incl. battery cost just hundreds. Not thousands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah I always thought the prices of those cargo bikes were insane. The electrics in them incl. battery cost just hundreds. Not thousands.

The prices of the non electric ones were pretty insane to begin with as well :(

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Eco-fundamentalists want to ban all cars from Cities.
    Quadricycles and microcars like the Japanese Kei cars and Wuling electric cars in China could make the Metropolises of Europe much more pleasant places to be in the future.
    Most modern cars are just too big for old European cities.

So if you don't need a license to drive one of these, does that mean you can't get penalty points?

So if you don't need a license to drive one of these, does that mean you can't get penalty points?

Penalty points for what? Doing 35km/h in a 30 zone? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Joseph SEE

You're going to need a licence here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭Markcheese

On france ... Yeah .. I assume ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

So it is 6K in Europe, how much will it be here do ye reckon?

khalessi wrote: »
    So it is 6K in Europe, how much will it be here do ye reckon?

It's about €7.3k before incentives but after French VAT (19%)

There are no incentives on an EV that cheap in Ireland (there should be, the cheaper the car the higher the relative incentive should be imho) so with a bit of stealth Irish mark ups I'd say it'll be around the €8k mark. And that's far too much for what it is...

Penalty points for what? Doing 35km/h in a 30 zone? :pac:

I was thinking more about doing donuts on the beach, gotta live that teenage dream :D

Much as I like the idea it would be more environmentally friendly and cheaper for a qualified licenced driver to keep an old supermini on the road for a few more years than sending them off for scrap. An old Panda, Micra, Clio or Fiesta can be run on a shoestring budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They're bringing it to the UK!

Price not yet revealed and it will be LHD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,306 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

How about this one,

by the way two great reviews of it on You-Tube by Nobby on Cars and Bob Flevin

https://youtu.be/cjfhwwx6B7s

https://youtu.be/6-_FDtRBng0

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Well as the thread says first drive here is two. Nobby on cars first and Bob Flevin is the second link,

https://youtu.be/6-_FDtRBng0

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

That looks well. A racing version of it.

A Racing car series with it could be good. Maybe us Irish should start it around Mondello

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Saw one in the flesh in France last week. Amazing little car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Ms

Its for the exhaust heat from the battery lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Stick a couple of bubble blowers on them ... 😀

Would love to see something that was a cross between an Ami and a twizzy .. so a bit quicker than an Ami , and a bit more comfort than a twizzy ... But I suppose that's a Dacia spring fantastically practical.. and quite dull .. ( I still would )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Didnt know we could register for these in Ireland. Have completed the form there. Super interested in this.

So have I, but I did get an error when I submitted my interest. Here is the link:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Love this little car, would be great for all the quick trips into town and work commutes etc. Would probably do away with the need for two full size cars for many.

Only problem I could see is the thing blowing away😁. We live on the brow of a hill and my wifes' first car, a Cinquecento, lifted its rear a few times and shifted position during one of the severe storms a number of years ago. I remember after that we use to park it facing the weather.

I suppose you could always tie it down..😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You could just bring it in out of the bad weather and let it sleep in front of the fire 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

@unkel I got the same error message

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dub.

Anyone see one in Ireland yet?

• Advertisement

I doubt it. Thanks for bumping the thread though. I went to register my interest again and got the same error message I got 3 months ago. Great progress 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

I saw one last year around Halloween time on the Naas road, city end was bluey grey in colour my brain wasn’t fully engaged at the time so didn’t get a pic but was on a French reg so probably just a publicity thingy, haven’t seen another since

I pay house tax in France. I wonder if it would be possible to buy one there and get it back to Ireland somehow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭daheff

Would this need to be insured etc on Irish roads? Or is it classified as something other than a vehicle?

Would it be possible for somebody under 18 to drive it (I mean is this gonna be the next electric scooter for the teenagers).

Ms

Would this need to be insured etc on Irish roads? Or is it classified as something other than a vehicle?

I think if it could be insured for say 500 a year that would not be too bad of better yet not need to be insured at all.

Let's hope they do not classify it as a car. I am interested in it too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

There was a faster Ami made that could do 80km I think and it was on promotion in America. I watched it on You-Tube. Will try to find the video. Its only a matter of tweeking the software I think.

Found it,

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭zg3409

In Ireland you will need a full driving licence 17 or older, tax, insurance, etc.

That would seem to defeat the whole point of the vehicle.

Not sure why. It's a perfect tiny city car for commuting or just a second runabout car. It's not aimed per se at teenagers as a moped alternative.

• Advertisement

The tuned one would be much more practical, especially if youre going to have to pay tax and insurance anyway ,but I'm guessing there's a reason why they don't sell it "full power" .. like a complete lack of saftey equipment, and it has a tendency to go up on 2 wheels if you try corner too fast ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Ms

How do you know this?

Are you just guessing if so I hope you are wrong on all points.

Because its not a car. It's a quadracycle.

I agree it sure woukd be and woukd be perfect for me living in the Country. Are sure you would learn it's limits the same as I have with my current electric 3 wheeler. I have lifted the wheel on that a few times I can tell you and it was scary the first few times but you learn it's limits. This is why I would love an Ami it would be more stable. I would miss having electric windows do but the open hatch windows on it are cute.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steinbock123

What is your “current electric three wheeler “ ??

@AMKC - "Because its not a car. It's a quadracycle."

Indeed. So afaik, you still need a car driving license (B), tax and insurance to drive it. No need for an NCT though. Same as Renault Twizy. Unless we get the "French" version that can only do 45km/h max, that would mean you can drive it on a moped license (AM). Still need tax and insurance though.

Ms

Has anyone seen an Ami in Ireland yet? Has Citroen even set a price? As far as I know you can buy them online in the UK from Citroen. Maybe they could do that here.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yes you can, just checked on citroen.co.uk. GBP8k on the road if you go collect it yourself, estimated time 14 weeks

Website also confirms it's doing 45km/h max and you can drive with AM or B license

45km/h is dangerously slow imho, really shouldn't be on the public road, again imho

• Advertisement

Would there be import charges on this bringing it over from France of the UK?

France is in the EU, no import duties, no VAT

The UK is outside of the EU, so there would be import duties and VAT

Either way, no VRT (because it's a cheap EV)

Not cheap for what is is though, but too cheap to get any EV grant in Ireland (which is ridiculous, the cheapest EVs should have the highest subsidies, not the other way around). I guess the price here would be close enough to €10k once it becomes available. The 45km/h limit is a big no-no for me though. I'm out. 80km/h is the very minimum a car should be able to do.

Ms

45km/h is dangerously slow imho, really shouldn't be on the public road, again imho

Not at all. My little 3 wheeled machine does 47km tops and it's a lot quicker than walking. I have drove from towns to villages with it no problem 5 to 10 miles distance. The mirrors could be better on it do.

I was stuck behind a tractor the other day that was going slower no where to pass do because it was going through the town.

Actually I was not driving that day I was on the bus. Still woukd not have been able to pass if U was do because it was going through the town doing about 20km I'd say.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭zg3409

Now in Northern Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,665 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Might seem like a silly question but is it available in RHD now then?

• Advertisement
Advertisement