Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CramCycle wrote: »
    It's really weird since I started using zwift. My legs look like those of a Belgian cycling god. Unfortunately, above the waist it's less god like and more like I am building layers for a long hibernation.
    There was a meme going round a couple of weeks ago, something like "in this lockdown you can get fit or fat".

And my first thought was "hold my beer, I think I can do both!".

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

No doubt, the rain will return when we are allowed to cycle again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

I just cycled to my holiday home fit as a fiddle now didn't have to stop for the hole journey arse is a bit sore

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

Why are they deploying ARU for cyclists ? Is our reputation that bad :)
    Might be only picture CI had but still .....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

benneca1 wrote: »
    Might be only picture CI had but still .....

I remember at a club league race once the ARU driving by but they slowed and eyeballed us as they went by, it was quite unnerving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

benneca1 wrote: »
    i wonder if they'll deploys stingers against cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,129 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

i wonder if they'll deploys stingers against cyclists.
    I knew I should have learned to bunny hop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Seems apt given his death yesterday

0o-oo - a-ha
    I'm taking a walk
    I'm going outside
    I'm taking a walk
    I don't need a ride

I'm watching the birds
    Flying so high

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRxm-5DnTbk

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Another encounter with cycling Gardai eyeing me up as I arrived in my workplace today. (It's unusual to see them patrolling private property).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Couple of garda on bikes around Ongar dublin15 not sure if they are watching anything particular most people cycling seem to be casual enough .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Another encounter with cycling Gardai eyeing me up as I arrived in my workplace today. (It's unusual to see them patrolling private property).

Has your employer issued you with a letter stating your work is essential? Mine issued me one the other day as I had to go into the office for a specific reason, and my company manufactures essential goods.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Has your employer issued you with a letter stating your work is essential? Mine issued me one the other day as I had to go into the office for a specific reason, and my company manufactures essential goods.
    Yes, I have an official laminated letter in my backpack and I carry my work ID card also.

Restriction extended for 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Restriction extended for 3 weeks.

It's for the greater good & I understand totally but Lord helpy sanity till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Seems apt given his death yesterday

0o-oo - a-ha
    I'm taking a walk
    I'm going outside
    I'm taking a walk
    I don't need a ride

I'm watching the birds
    Flying so high

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRxm-5DnTbk

A line from another of his songs seems fitting as well.

"Climbing walls while sitting in a chair"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Eamonnator wrote: »
    A line from another of his songs seems fitting as well.

"Climbing walls while sitting in a chair"

Pretty much all of "Hello in there" works for me too. Three more weeks indoors, I guess there'll be plenty of time to work through his back catalogue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

When I go out for my daily exercise myself and my family can manage to social distance from other walkers but when we are crossing bridges cyclists won’t wait they fly past and they aren’t social distancing they seem to think that because they are moving at speed they can’t spread the virus, they think they have special status and it’s infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

cloudatlas wrote: »
    When I go out for my daily exercise myself and my family can manage to social distance from other walkers but when we are crossing bridges cyclists won’t wait they fly past and they aren’t social distancing they seem to think that because they are moving at speed they can’t spread the virus, they think they have special status and it’s infuriating.

Cyclist up by my way, bar a couple, seem to give a wide berth for pedestrians, especially as we are in the bike lane or bus lane avoiding someone else on the pavement.

It really is the 80/20 rule. That 20% just can't help themselves, they don't do it on purpose, they just lack awareness.

Don't get me started on the runners and joggers! (But again, I am probably only noticing the 20%, who seem like "all")

While I am here... Families are a pain in the hoop too. They take up the whole pavement at times; families on bikes are the worst! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I'd say the jury is still out as to whether this is deemed 'essential' bike travel. It's a pretty impressive distance for a shift of delivering food all the same.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3244409912

This is pretty amazing, particularly when you factor in he / she is also carrying a big bag and food and having to stop at traffic lights etc not to mention houses and restaurants

Do they get paid by the delivery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Shall we add things like having less cars on the road and having the Gardai finally actually police public parks and the canal blackspot to the list of things that were frustratingly impossible until corona virus (ending air bnb, public / private divide, social solidarity)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Charlie69

An endurance cyclist I follow (used to follow) on strava did almost five hours on the bike today (within 2km ). Some people still not getting it.

I drove yesterday and Radio one was on. Tthey had a jogger on, and the presenter (a jogger himself) saying most joggers are decent, give space, just the few ruining peoples opinions on all joggers. The more he went on, the more i felt smug that some other group with nothing in common bar one thing finally knows how a typical cyclist feels.

This mornign as I cycled in, I seen a jogger run right past someone without social distancing, and I thought to myself, f*cking joggers, they are all the same :pac:

On positive news, the 133 bus gave me a full lane overtake, rather than trying to skim me or being too busy texting to notice me, which was nice. I gave him a thumbs up and he waved and smiled, it was nice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

On positive news, the 133 bus gave me a full lane overtake, rather than trying to skim me or being too busy texting to notice me, which was nice. I gave him a thumbs up and he waved and smiled, it was nice.

:eek:

Never happened. :P

On my 2k circuit I got passed by the 133 and there were 2 whole other lanes at their disposal!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I have never, ever had a positive experience with a single 133

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I drove yesterday and Radio one was on. Tthey had a jogger on, and the presenter (a jogger himself) saying most joggers are decent, give space, just the few ruining peoples opinions on all joggers. The more he went on, the more i felt smug that some other group with nothing in common bar one thing finally knows how a typical cyclist feels.
    This mornign as I cycled in, I seen a jogger run right past someone without social distancing, and I thought to myself, f*cking joggers, they are all the same :pac:

Joggers? I mean what is this, the 1980's?

They can duck off onto Zwift like the rest of us! :D

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Joggers? I mean what is this, the 1980's?......
    Was just thinking the same. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Charlie69 wrote: »
    An endurance cyclist I follow (used to follow) on strava did almost five hours on the bike today (within 2km ). Some people still not getting it.

One in my club constantly putting in 100km spins over 5 or 6 hours and bragging about it becasue it's within the 2km - for the best part. Even admitting now, on Strava, that he is straying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I drove from KCR to Blackrock today and saw 10 to 15 cyclists in all their lycra. Not sure what they were up to but hard to believe all were going to/from work - one was a father and son out for a spin.

Also saw family picnics in parks around D6.

Most people get the message and adhere, there will always be some selfish pricks I suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement