Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just looking at the high res sat animation for the last couple of hours, and the low center itself appears to have moved very little, if at all in that time frame. At this point in time, it appears to be almost stationary. Not a typically fast moving 'bomb' system at all that would have developed much further west. It would seem that this particular low needs that extra surge of cold air from the NW Atlantic to kick it up the arse and nudge it in our direction. Odd one really.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Sundew wrote: »
    The red warning is only for roughly 3 hours or so! Then it goes back to orange. Nothing confusing there :)

Edit must learn to read every word and not just scan post ;)

Rain started in Sth Galway. Roll on 6am
    Thanks to the regulars again for brilliant updates and answers to silly questions.

7 different warnings on ME. I found myself zoning out after about the 4th .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

The mass extinction of ocean buoys is not a good thing for tracking, but at least K4 is still there and the low may be right over it by 12z. That Hirlam variant showing the Connacht landfall is either on a bender or about to win first place in show. I can't see it happening that way from all the evidence. Low might be anywhere from 10 to 100 miles north of Belmullet at some point. In this case, further south it gets, further south the red warning verification will drift.

Newport could be in high variability mode, Westport almost certain to get nailed, Clifden 90% likely.

Have the frequency and intesity of all the recent storms damaged a lot of our atlantic buoys?

Is it normal for this to happen to modern buoy's or have we just been unlucky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very heavy rain in Galway now is that a squall line moving in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

LRNM wrote: »
    Have the frequency and intesity of all the recent storms damaged a lot of our atlantic buoys?

Is it normal for this to happen to modern buoy's or have we just been unlucky?

God love the buoys during the 80s/90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Met Éireann airport warnings. Casement pick of the bunch, gusting 60-70 knots by 4 pm tomorrow.

Timing is FROM/UNTIL (DDHHMM/DDHHMM), BECMG means Becoming.
    CASEMENT EIME AD WRNG 02 VALID 291100/291800 WIND SFC SSW 25-30KT MAX 50-55 BECMG 2914/2916 SW 35-40KT MAX 60-70 FCST=

DUBLIN EIDW AD WRNG 03 VALID 291100/291800 WIND SFC SSW 20-25KT MAX 40-45 BECMG 2914/2916 SW 30-35KT MAX 55-60 FCST=

CORK EICK AD WRNG 01 VALID 290800/291500 WIND SFC SW 25-30KT MAX 40-45 BECMG 2910/2912 W 35-40KT MAX 55-60 FCST=

SHANNON EINN AD WRNG 01 VALID 290800/291600 WIND SFC SW 20-25KT MAX 40-45 BECMG 2910/2912 W 35-40KT MAX 55-60 FCST=

KNOCK EIKN AD WRNG 02 VALID 290800/291800 WIND SFC S 20-25KT MAX 40-45 BECMG 2911/2913 W 35-40KT MAX 55-60 FCST=

EIKN AD WRNG 01 VALID 290300/291200 SNOW FBL 1 to 3 CM FCST=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,459 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Storm Hot Hay , is that how it's pronounced

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I was due to play a round of golf in Galway Bay Golf Club in the morning. Presume it will be ok if I head out early? Have the wet gear of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Curious feature developing

B75-D0550-5-C95-49-D9-AD36-A058-F6-D04799.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Eyre Square Shopping centre, Galway closing at midday tomorrow. 😲

Dry here. Meath. 11⁰

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

I was due to play a round of golf in Galway Bay Golf Club in the morning. Presume it will be ok if I head out early? Have the wet gear of course.

If you say so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

You will score well on holes 3, 4, 6, 9 and 15. Holes 7, 14 and 18 will be double bogey at least.

Jorge's satellite-derived surface windfield at 14:24 this afternoon. Just tipping 50 knots (brown).

504133.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Met Éireann airport warnings. Casement pick of the bunch, gusting 60-70 knots by 4 pm tomorrow.

Timing is FROM/UNTIL (DDHHMM/DDHHMM), BECMG means Becoming.

That's going to be interesting. Dublin could get a fair rattle from this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Whore-Hay.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Keeping an eye on how this Swiss model performs.

aTb94Xg.png

cqhNmZI.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,459 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Whore-Hay.

Guy on UK weather was Hot Hay , I thought it was different.

J-O-R-G-E
    Jetstream Offers Real Gale Eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Can’t be trying to pronounce those funny foreign names ...for me its George :D

• Advertisement

harr wrote: »

Stoirm Seoirse.

Just thinking about these 'named' storms (which I am not a fan of) but why are we going with a storm name named by the Spanish? I thought the storm naming system in this part of Europe was a coordination between the Brits, the Dutch and us? For example, the Germans name depression and storms all the time, yet we don't go with their named names. The whole thing is just objectively confusing.

I think if we are to have named storms, we should have a unified European system, rather than all this random names issued by various national met services.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Between Shtorms and viruses we r all fed up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

sryanbruen wrote: »
    God love the buoys during the 80s/90s.

Absolutely. 'Intensity' isn't a word you'd associate with this winter's storms.

Though tomorrow's is one which causes concern for me. It's the first real direct hit this winter.

harr wrote: »

God help us if we ever get lumbered with a 'Storm Greta'.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

That's so 2019

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Will be of tropical origin...a lot of hot air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It's not just the Irish buoys going out of service, UK have lost several too (K3 and PAP recently).

It seems that the met services are strapped for resources so they are slow in replacing them maybe in part because they are not as vital to forecasting as they once were (a byproduct of more reliable short range modelling).

There have not been as many out of service for the US and Canadian roster, occasionally one goes drifting and continues to report then you need to know where it actually is to assess the reports which are still accurate for that location.

It probably has more to do with speed of replacement issues than something unusual about damage rates.

As to the stall, I think that was probably expected and now a slower eastward motion is likely to develop.

WARNING: Storm Greta is approaching. You only have twelve years to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

It's not just the Irish buoys going out of service, UK have lost several too (K3 and PAP recently).

It seems that the met services are strapped for resources so they are slow in replacing them maybe in part because they are not as vital to forecasting as they once were (a byproduct of more reliable short range modelling).

There have not been as many out of service for the US and Canadian roster, occasionally one goes drifting and continues to report then you need to know where it actually is to assess the reports which are still accurate for that location.

It probably has more to do with speed of replacement issues than something unusual about damage rates.

As to the stall, I think that was probably expected and now a slower eastward motion is likely to develop.

This is Ireland MT. It takes years to get things done.

• Advertisement

It's the end result that counts, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

WARNING: Storm Greta is approaching. You only have twelve years to live.

She struck Bristol today.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

The latest Atlantic Surface Analysis chart issued around 9pm by the OPC:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

I work at Dublin Airport, so I'll keep you guys informed of any cancelled flights, delays if it helps anyone

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tomorrow is not a day I would like to be in any plane, I'm a frightened flyer even at the best of times and shiver when the captain mentions a possible moment of normal every day turbulance.

ECM winds at 100 metres, showing that strongest core getting into Galway Bay around midday and then coming out over the Irish Sea mid-afternoon. Second gold is 33-34 m/s (64-66 knots). Add around 8% to get the likely gusts at the surface (~70-72 knots), but stronger is possible inbetween these two chart times.

ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2020022812_024.jpg

ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2020022812_027.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Hor- hay up and feck off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

Looks like it might rival Darwin except a bit further up the coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭pauldry

Storm Whore Kay

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I really wish Met Eireann or the Met Office named this storm, everyone is having a go at the Spanish name, even all the official weather channels and met services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Mace head max gust tomorrow should be interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Luckily the peak of the swell is at lower tides.
    If not there would be absolute carnage.

Some of the beaches will have a lot of gullies and dips etc after this from the sands shifting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,263 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Maybe this is a stupid question but why is the UK Met office showing yellow for Northern Ireland while we have orange in our adjoining counties? Do they have different criteria for the colour coding?
    Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Maybe this is a stupid question but why is the UK Met office showing yellow for Northern Ireland while we have orange in our adjoining counties? Do they have different criteria for the colour coding?
    Thanks.

They've to get through more red tape :)

met-eireann-issue-nationwide-orange-warning-for-saturday.png

Ireland wearing lipstick

Or would clare and limerick be better?

I think this is where Met E's warnings as delineated by county boundaries just don't work. East Galway and East Clare are not going to get red warning weather conditions tomorrow IMO.

Another weekend spent observing squall lines on boards.ie :(

time to hit the cans and easter eggs

stands up. looks out window
    walks back to desk
    squall lines arrived lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Mods can we get bans for anyone making terrible jokes about the storm being called Jorge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Thanks.

Yes.. they have an impact based system. We use a numerical based system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Any reason why most of these storms end up being on a weekend. I know I'm being sort sighting because it probably evens out to any day or the course of how many storms there has been throughout the years. But recently many have being on the weekend.

Advertisement