Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭acequion

Thanks for the info, hopefully there will be an announcement soon.

I’m sure many will disapprove but I am living in the UK and hoping to head home to Ireland some time in July or August to introduce my mam to her grandchild. I will drive and go by ferry to limit contact and given we have been isolating with the exception of one supermarket visit a week, I can’t see any way we can be more careful.

The UK is a disaster in the context of Coronavirus but given we have taken every precaution, we can’t wait forever to see our family, my baby will be walking at this rate! I’m just hoping we won’t be shunned by everyone else when we get there!

I’ve been hoping the quarantine will lift but if it doesn’t we will just have to go and spend our two weeks inside.

I would be horrified if I heard people were doing that. But you will get a certain element, people who are righteous and judgmental and who give themselves the right to point a finger at others. The opinion of such people is certainly not worth being upset about.

I hope you guys have a lovely visit with a very special meeting of nan and little one. Such things are precious so make your plans and enjoy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Actually higher risk. No HEPA filters on a bus or train. Cabin air is exchanged multiple times an hour on a plane. Some people really need to climb into a bunker and consideration to staying there for decades given.

Yeah, dubl07 belongs under a rock with that level of irrational fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

"UAE citizens can travel to 'low-risk' countries from Tuesday"

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2246837/3-uae-citizens-can-travel-low-risk-countries-tuesday/

Ireland is listed as one of their low risk countries, I wonder if we will be able to travel to UAE anytime soon for tourism?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

NotMOL wrote: »
    "UAE citizens can travel to 'low-risk' countries from Tuesday"

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2246837/3-uae-citizens-can-travel-low-risk-countries-tuesday/

Ireland is listed as one of their low risk countries, I wonder if we will be able to travel to UAE anytime soon for tourism?

Tony Holohan said: ''No essential travels are not allowed, stay home''
    90% of irish hotels will not open up on June 29th, no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

acequion wrote: »
    I would be horrified if I heard people were doing that. But you will get a certain element, people who are righteous and judgmental and who give themselves the right to point a finger at others. The opinion of such people is certainly not worth being upset about.
    I don't live in a rural area of Ireland, but I would be pretty nervous if there was an influx of people from countries which have not got the pandemic under control. There is a point where this turns into curtain-twitching and becomes unhelpful, but it would be simple human nature to be concerned at the moment. So yeah for the OP, while your family may be very welcoming, I wouldn't travel anticipating you might get universal acceptance in the area - maybe you will, maybe you won't, everyone will make their own decisions the same as you are.

BTW it's ironic to see you giving out about people being "righteous and judgemental" at the same time as you are being righteous and judgemental about people.

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote: »
    I don't live in a rural area of Ireland, but I would be pretty nervous if there was an influx of people from countries which have not got the pandemic under control. There is a point where this turns into curtain-twitching and becomes unhelpful, but it would be simple human nature to be concerned at the moment. So yeah for the OP, while your family may be very welcoming, I wouldn't travel anticipating you might get universal acceptance in the area - maybe you will, maybe you won't, everyone will make their own decisions the same as you are.

BTW it's ironic to see you giving out about people being "righteous and judgemental" at the same time as you are being righteous and judgemental about people.

That is actually hilarious. :pac::pac: So righteous and judgemental people can be as assholish as they like, as horrible and critical of other people as suits them. But it's the people who call them out on their judgementalism that are the righteous ones!! What freakish logic is that?? Or is it because the judgemental don't like the finger being pointed right back at them???

Anyone who judges that poster for wanting to reunite grandmother and grandchild is a self righteous asshole. Concern over the virus is perfectly understandable. Finger pointing at others is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

That is actually hilarious. :pac::pac: So righteous and judgemental people can be as assholish as they like, as horrible and critical of other people as suits them. But it's the people who call them out on their judgementalism that are the righteous ones!! What freakish logic is that?? Or is it because the judgemental don't like the finger being pointed right back at them???

Anyone who judges that poster for wanting to reunite grandmother and grandchild is a self righteous asshole. Concern over the virus is perfectly understandable. Finger pointing at others is not.

Not to mention the ones that post something and then deny they posted it and then they try to twist it to try and make you look clueless and look like an idiot.

Thankfully i have finally unfollowed the 2 main doomsday threads, let the morons at it i say.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ThatsNotMyCat

Thanks for the comments... I’m not really expecting universal welcome and I’m planning to spend most of the time with my mam (in her house or going for walks) but it would also be nice to be welcome in your hometown :)

I’ll hold off for as long as I can and then as I say plan to travel in a very cautious way, driving across the UK (twice!) by myself with a baby will not be fun but it limits our exposure that way. It would be a lot easier to get on a plane.

I understand people’s caution too. But just because the virus is much more widespread in the UK does not mean everyone has it of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

No-one said anything about reuniting families, so climb down off the very high horse you're on there. The poster asked whether she would be accepted in her local area - anyone travelling from a high-risk virus area to a rural area during this period shouldn't be travelling expecting to get the warm welcome they might previously have got, and that's only common sense. You're the one labeling people as "self-righteous" just because they might be understandably wary of seeing their area get infected while we are still in the middle of a pandemic.

hmmm wrote: »
    No-one said anything about reuniting families, so climb down off the very high horse you're on there. The poster asked whether she would be accepted in her local area - anyone travelling from a high-risk virus area to a rural area during this period shouldn't be travelling expecting to get the warm welcome they might previously have got, and that's only common sense. You're the one labeling people as "self-righteous" just because they might be understandably wary of seeing their area get infected while we are still in the middle of a pandemic.

There is no labelling. The self righteous are exactly that, self righteous. Let's call a spade a spade.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the comments... I’m not really expecting universal welcome and I’m planning to spend most of the time with my mam (in her house or going for walks) but it would also be nice to be welcome in your hometown :)

I’ll hold off for as long as I can and then as I say plan to travel in a very cautious way, driving across the UK (twice!) by myself with a baby will not be fun but it limits our exposure that way. It would be a lot easier to get on a plane.

I understand people’s caution too. But just because the virus is much more widespread in the UK does not mean everyone has it of course.

If I were you I would not let the opinions of others influence your decision. There is absolutely nothing we can do about what others think.

You sound sensible and willing to respect the conditions and you are not breaking a law by travelling. IMO people like you are perfectly welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

gral6 wrote: »
    Tony Holohan said: ''No essential travels are not allowed, stay home''
    90% of irish hotels will not open up on June 29th, no point.

He said non essential travel abroad is not advised.
    A huge difference between ‘advised’ and ‘allowed’ And there is nothing he can do to stop anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

And there is nothing he can do to stop anyone.
    that's what it really comes down to, cant imagine there's ever being law preventing anyone leaving or re-entering country, this crap and scare tactics made many go whackoo, anyhow imagine there wont be any shortages people going on sun holidays in a week, so we will have good idea how things move in other countries for tourists, any hassle with airports and so on, dont imagine many will opt to travel to ireland as tourists go so threat is minimal to f all, but spain, portugal will give good idea for people to plan if its worth booking in coming months. as little risk will always exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Hopefully this ridiculous 14 day quarantine requirement will be dropped by the 1st of July.

DAA who run the airports are loosing €1m a day, and cutting up to 1,000 jobs, Aer Lingus want to cut 500.

The longer tourists don't come to Ireland or people feel free to leave the country then the worse it gets for those who's jobs are at risk.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0623/1149129-aviation/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Looks like things will move faster than advertised

Government taskforce says non-essential air travel ban should be lifted on July 1

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/make-way-for-summer-government-taskforce-says-non-essential-air-travel-ban-should-be-lifted-on-july-1-39308901.html

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Hopefully this ridiculous 14 day quarantine requirement will be dropped by the 1st of July.

DAA who run the airports are loosing €1m a day, and cutting up to 1,000 jobs, Aer Lingus want to cut 500.

The longer tourists don't come to Ireland or people feel free to leave the country then the worse it gets for those who's jobs are at risk.

We need travel bubbles ASAP, obviously don't allow tourist from countries with high number of cases but we can allow tourist coming from countries with similar number of cases as us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

NotMOL wrote: »
    We need travel bubbles ASAP, obviously don't allow tourist from countries with high number of cases but we can allow tourist coming from countries with similar number of cases as us.

Yea well all the big ones anyways, Greece, Italy, Spain, France....

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

Looks like things will move faster than advertised
    Government taskforce says non-essential air travel ban should be lifted on July 1

This will be a battle between reality and the ego of a certain "expert" who didn't like the idea of the likes of MOL/SD calling out their nonsense.

dubdaymo wrote: »
    This will be a battle between reality and the ego of a certain "expert" who didn't like the idea of the likes of MOL/SD calling out their nonsense.

I just got an email advert from Aerlingus saying they are flying again in July. “ we are back flying to europe in July”

• Advertisement

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I just got an email advert from Aerlingus saying they are flying again in July. “ we are back flying to europe in July”

Ha! Yea, got that, AL are getting ready for sure! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yup same myself so they're flying 1st July to some destinations regardless

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Government has pushed back on ending quarantine on July 1st. FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Tenzor07 wrote: »

I absolutely care about Ireland. I really do and I would love to see Ireland come out unscathed from this virus. I know we will have a recession now and I would love to see Ireland come out the other end.

I won't be travelling this year because I see it as too risky.
    It doesn't make sense to me to spend money on a holiday and have the risk of getting sick out abroad. Also I like to keep on top of the news and events around this virus and there's a long tail illness reported. I don't know what way my body is going to behave if I catch this virus. My health comes first and foremost before jobs of people that I don't even know working for DAA and airlines. My doing everything possible to do my best at not catching this virus and that also includes not travelling.

faceman wrote: »
    Government has pushed back on ending quarantine on July 1st. FFS.

“Leo Varadkar wants to open the skies to holidays abroad and begin welcoming tourists back here as one of his last acts as Taoiseach.”

The Taoiseach has given an early stamp of approval for ditching the 14 day quarantine rule in place for all travellers coming into the country from as early as next week.“

“ He said this could be done through the “air bridges” idea where countries that have equally low coronavirus infection rates can mutually agree travel between them.”

Taken from an article on the Daily Mirror but could be BS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

“Leo Varadkar wants to open the skies to holidays abroad and begin welcoming tourists back here as one of his last acts as Taoiseach.”

The Taoiseach has given an early stamp of approval for ditching the 14 day quarantine rule in place for all travellers coming into the country from as early as next week.“

“ He said this could be done through the “air bridges” idea where countries that have equally low coronavirus infection rates can mutually agree travel between them.”

Taken from an article on the Daily Mirror but could be BS.

Hmmm. Looks like we are getting more of the mixed messages strategy from the government to test the water.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

2 weeks ago I was feeling a lot more positive about hopefully getting away in August, I have to say I'm getting a bit more twitchy about it now. I think down to the spikes we are seeing and probably the radio/media aspect and discussions. I'm hoping to make a call on it in July, if the 14 day limit isn't lifted I won't be going though as it would make it difficult with work etc.

pc7 wrote: »
    2 weeks ago I was feeling a lot more positive about hopefully getting away in August, I have to say I'm getting a bit more twitchy about it now. I think down to the spikes we are seeing and probably the radio/media aspect and discussions. I'm hoping to make a call on it in July, if the 14 day limit isn't lifted I won't be going though as it would make it difficult with work etc.

Spikes are to be expected as the pandemic is flattened. It’s the handling of them that will matter. Spain so far has a grasp on them in the region in the north. Same with Germany I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

pc7 wrote: »

Thats an interesting point actually.

I know some on here think the 14 day rule can just be bypassed, but employers might not be so keen.

I know its not the workforce, but the sports club I'm involved in will not leave players back until 14 days after they return from trips abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

faceman wrote: »
    Spikes are to be expected as the pandemic is flattened. It’s the handling of them that will matter. Spain so far has a grasp on them in the region in the north. Same with Germany I believe.

Aw I know, just making me a little less sure of going, don't want to feel on edge away. But reckon you will be safer in sunny Spain or Portugal than Kerry! I priced a few places for August, lots booked out and those that aren't are very expensive for families. But as mentioned big gotcha for me will be the 14 day quarantine. It will be interesting to see how those going away in July get on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement