Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slipped on ice train platform

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Where I work someone would be fired for leaving a manhole open and not barriering off the area. You were irresponsible for not reporting a dangerous situation that might cause the next person to be seriously injured. It's human nature to lose concentration/not look where they are going, that's were safety precautions come in to prevent people getting hurt.

I guess you missed the part where the poster said the man hole cover was in its normal place, and not open!!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Oh the irony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

easypazz wrote: »
    Ah bless. Wrap the delicate little souls in cotton wool and treat them like babies.

Most sane people would think it was great that a place with 5000 employees has a nurse available to them and this is your attitude. Weird is not the word for your outlook, very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Personal responsibility is unfortunately in short supply these days.
    You fell, it was your own fault, be grateful you weren’t badly injured and move on with your life.
    If you truly care about ensuring similar doesn’t happen again, drop them an email pointing out the need to grit the area where you fell.

Reading threads like this makes me wonder what kind of luxury millionaire lifestyle I could be living if I claimed for all the various accidents (mostly my own fault) I’ve had over the years.
    It can’t always be someone else’s fault.

I guess you missed the part where the poster said the man hole cover was in its normal place, and not open!!

I did :) but it should have been back in it's proper place ! I've tripped on similar in work and fixed it back in place or reported it so someone could, you know so the next person doesn't trip on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

falling on live track.

We don't use third-rail electrification here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

billyhead wrote: »
    I slipped on ice while about to embark on a train this morning. The platform wasn't fully gritted. I hurt my leg and hip. Nothing broken I hope and think. Would I have grounds for a claim against Irish rail.

Hi billy head and co...

I also got the train this morning at a particular busy station. I was running late and the barriers had gone down. Immediately I slid as a stepped out of the car however the other foot wasn’t standing on ice so I proceeded with care towards the train.
    For the most part the car park was well salted, the footpaths were just ok, some Ivey patches.
    The platform was gritted except the part near the edge of the platform. I noticed this was consistently icey as I made my way. I saw 2 people fall just as they were stepping on the train. One looked painful as they landed on their leg twisting back. Finally as I was getting in one entrance another commuter slipped, banged her head and nearly fell down over the platform. In this instance to do think some one from irish rail should have gritted it better

• Registered Users Posts: 14,497 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You will probably have some bad bruising and soreness tomorrow.
    If there is any swelling or bad pain go to the doctor.
    Any serious injury and you want to claim look up a good PI solicitor.
    Get well soon.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Personal responsibility is unfortunately in short supply these days.
    You fell, it was your own fault, be grateful you weren’t badly injured and move on with your life.
    If you truly care about ensuring similar doesn’t happen again, drop them an email pointing out the need to grit the area where you fell.

Reading threads like this makes me wonder what kind of luxury millionaire lifestyle I could be living if I claimed for all the various accidents (mostly my own fault) I’ve had over the years.
    It can’t always be someone else’s fault.

Agree totally about the personal responsibility but on the other hand times have moved on where people should have to put up with unnecessary risk.

I slipped today because there was ice on a sloping footpath and I had to walk that way to get from the work car park to where I work. My employer is responsible to ensure I can get there safely. There are laws that state this!

The OPs situation was unnecessary risk because Irish rail should have grit all over their platforms. It's hardly a logistical impossibility for Irish rail to achieve this. You were lucky but I had a bad work injury where I couldn't work for two years. Something like that changes your outlook to health and safety

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Agree totally about the personal responsibility but on the other hand times have moved on where people should have to put up with unnecessary risk.

I slipped today because there was ice on a sloping footpath and I had to walk that way to get from the work car park to where I work. My employer is responsible to ensure I can get there safely. There are laws that state this!

The OPs situation was unnecessary risk because Irish rail should have grit all over their platforms. It's hardly a logistical impossibility for Irish rail to achieve this. You were lucky but I had a bad work injury where I couldn't work for two years. Something like that changes your outlook to health and safety

I have no issue with legitimate, genuine claims for safety negligence. If someone was so badly injured they couldn’t work for 2yrs they absolutely should be entitled to some compensation for their injuries, that’s what the system is there for.

However, I don’t agree that a grazed knee and a red face equates to that.
    It sounds to me like Irish Rail made a reasonable level of effort to ensure the safety of the platform, OP’s lack of diligence was a huge contributing factor to the fall and therefore the responsibility is on them for what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

billyhead wrote: »
    Wrong I am injured. Theres pain and grazes etc for a reason.

So what you looking for.... give us a figure that you feel you would be looking for??

Would you take a €20 for a sore shin??

Did you fill in a Report at the station? Have you witnesses etvpc shoukd you end up in court.. ? And copies of all you expenses and costs you are su8ng for??

Jesus... the sense of entitlement is staggering

Where I work someone would be fired for leaving a manhole open and not barriering off the area. You were irresponsible for not reporting a dangerous situation that might cause the next person to be seriously injured. It's human nature to lose concentration/not look where they are going, that's were safety precautions come in to prevent people getting hurt.

The manhole wasn’t open , I’ve already said this . It was completely closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    After the first few posts I clicked on the ops name expecting to see a shiny new account. I was genuinely surprised to see that the account is 14 years old!

Registered at birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You should sue your mum for letting you leave the house in that weather.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement